Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The servers need to be merged, there isn't any question about it anymore. Other games can use one server in NA and one in Europe and everything works, SWTOR can too.

However, that said, the merge has to be mostly transparent to players. So, names need something to make them unique so active players with matching names don't have to give it up. Guilds and guild assets need to move in their entirety. Strongholds, etc., need to move as is, no unlocking, no redecorating, etc. (And if you have multiples copies on different server, you should get to pick the one you keep.) No losing outfits, etc. Now, this shouldn't be complicated to make happen, but past experience says BW has had problems with it.

Precisely that. It should not be complicated. But since the time they excused their decision with the lvl 60 tokens to be non-refundable practically from the moment you enter your SH with "too many people were creating and deleting characters and the database can't take it" I have no faith whatsoever in their ability to maintain, let alone extend, their backend database. Can't say whether that is because their db design is so godawful that that is an issue, or the admins are simply incompetent/badly trained, but neither explanation leaves them in a good light.

Personally, I would have moved to a higher pop server IF I could keep my assets. I have a guild that is all left from better times and cannot replace some of the decorations because they can no longer be obtained. So, I stay and resign myself to the fact that unless I am very lucky I can forget about playing uprisings because those queues never pop, and even pvp queues are starting to take ages.

Do you think character name + legacy name will solve the naming issue ?

Keep in mind the code to merge servers is already done, this is not the first time around. As soon as we start making changes it has to get on the development cycle; which means getting on the roadmap...

My main concern is losing my character names. In the original server merge I lost a pair of character names that I had since the first 5 minutes of the first wave of the head start period -- simply because I was on an origin, not a destination, server. If a merge happens, those who have had the name the longest (and been active) should be the ones allowed to keep it.

I don't want to go through the same old endlessly repeating argument with the same old server merge advocates. So I'm just going to say my piece once on this subject and be done with it.

Dear EAWare,

I have spent untold hundreds of millions of credits, hundreds of real world American dollars, and far too many hours of my lifetime building up the resources necessary to acquire things like character outfit slots, guild bank tabs, guild strongholds and their expansions, guild flagships and their expansions, a huge range of decoration donations for said guild strongholds/flagships, legacy bank tabs, etc. If you take that all away from me without recompense and force me to play on another server with more latency in a different time zone just so some people currently on said other server can have slightly faster queue pops? I will cancel my subscription and stop playing this game forever... and I know I won't be the only one.

I beg of you all, please do not even consider server merges until such time as you can guarantee the 100% absolutely no exceptions intact transfer of all character and guild assets. Don't destroy everything some players have built just because other players are impatient and want faster queue pops. All of us who don't want server merges specifically because of all we have to lose pay to play this game the same as all of the people who are seeking more queue pops. We deserve to be able to keep our characters, our guilds, and all our accomplishments intact as much as the impatient people do.

Also, please keep in mind that merging traditionally RP-focused servers into regular servers will mean a huge upswing in the harassment and griefing RPers already receive. Having an RP instance will not help with this, since transferring instances is quick, easy, and free to do. You'll lose even more paying customers that way, as some of us have only stuck around and continued subscribing as long as we have solely because of the RP scene on TOR. If you destroy that scene, we will have no reason to continue paying to play your game. Don't put us through any more grief than we already receive.

Lots of love,

AscendingSky

Edited by AscendingSky

Can anyone help me know if I'm understanding this server merge debate:

A group of subscribers posting here are of the opinion that a server merge or megaserver will somehow make the game more playable for them, and somehow this merge will achieve something which transfers doesn't accomplish, even though it seems to me that transfers are there for players who are seeking (the majority of the time?) to join a higher-population server for their particular reason for playing (PVP, I think).

There is also the matter of the reputation that The Harbinger has when it comes to system instability. The Harbinger, it so happens, is, I think, the highest population server of SWTOR. Hardly a shining example of what players in general could expect by merging servers.

Setting the above thoughts aside, why aren't Server Transfers sufficient as a way of building higher-population servers? What does a server merge accomplish that a Transfer cannot? And what is preventing those who want to see higher-population, better "popping"(?) queues from themselves visiting the "low-population" servers scouting in instances and PVP areas for recruits and helping them transfer to a "better" server? After all, everyone is pretty much in agreement that the number of SWTOR players even aware of these forums and the discussions herein vastly outnumber the number of posters here who are taking either side in the server merge/cross-server queuing debate.

Since I don't PVP, grouped MAYbe twice, and have never been in a guild since I've been a subscriber when SWTOR launched, I can't claim to appreciate that side of the debate. But it does leave me curious about how server transfers don't accomplish the same thing for these players, and why server merges is the only viable solution to their way of thinking.

A group of subscribers posting here are of the opinion that a server merge or megaserver will somehow make the game more playable for them, and somehow this merge will achieve something which transfers doesn't accomplish, even though it seems to me that transfers are there for players who are seeking (the majority of the time?) to join a higher-population server for their particular reason for playing (PVP, I think).

There is also the matter of the reputation that The Harbinger has when it comes to system instability. The Harbinger, it so happens, is, I think, the highest population server of SWTOR. Hardly a shining example of what players in general could expect by merging servers.

Setting the above thoughts aside, why aren't Server Transfers sufficient as a way of building higher-population servers? What does a server merge accomplish that a Transfer cannot? And what is preventing those who want to see higher-population, better "popping"(?) queues from themselves visiting the "low-population" servers scouting in instances and PVP areas for recruits and helping them transfer to a "better" server? After all, everyone is pretty much in agreement that the number of SWTOR players even aware of these forums and the discussions herein vastly outnumber the number of posters here who are taking either side in the server merge/cross-server queuing debate.

Since I don't PVP, grouped MAYbe twice, and have never been in a guild since I've been a subscriber when SWTOR launched, I can't claim to appreciate that side of the debate. But it does leave me curious about how server transfers don't accomplish the same thing for these players, and why server merges is the only viable solution to their way of thinking.

Very nicely put, those who want to transfer are free to do so, not everybody wants a mega server. Some of us are very happy where we are and want to be left alone. I see no need to do a mega server. Plus they cannot move guilds, strongholds, and guild ships. I think server transfers at 90CC is fair and easily accessible for those that want to move.

Very nicely put, those who want to transfer are free to do so, not everybody wants a mega server. Some of us are very happy where we are and want to be left alone. I see no need to do a mega server. Plus they cannot move guilds, strongholds, and guild ships. I think server transfers at 90CC is fair and easily accessible for those that want to move.

90cc isn't free. People are at liberty to move should they choose, but someone with 90+ alts like myself, moving a server's worth of toons wouldn't be free, by far.

The problem that players want addressed is two-fold.

1) On a low population server, it feels dead. My guild used to be on Jung Ma. There were nights when the members of the guild were the entire population of Imp-side fleet. Most players in the MMO genre want to see a bustling hive of players when they get to the central hub (in Swtor, this is Fleet). Other players are there for chat, advice, grouping, trade, etc.

2) You --brought this up above-- the issue of queue times. SWTOR has a lot of group content to offer, but most of those are completely unavailable to players on lower population servers. On nights where Warzones are not the highlighted activity, you're unlikely to get very many queue pops, if at all.

Yes, server transfers are available, but with a lot of downsides. Some of the issues people have with server mergers are the same for people not wanting to transfer servers (loss of outfits, strongholds, guild ship/ stronghold, character names, etc etc).

In essence, the players that want a server merge want the best of both worlds. They want a large population and they don't want to lose everything like they would with a character transfer.

The problem that players want addressed is two-fold.

1) On a low population server, it feels dead. My guild used to be on Jung Ma. There were nights when the members of the guild were the entire population of Imp-side fleet. Most players in the MMO genre want to see a bustling hive of players when they get to the central hub (in Swtor, this is Fleet). Other players are there for chat, advice, grouping, trade, etc.

2) You --brought this up above-- the issue of queue times. SWTOR has a lot of group content to offer, but most of those are completely unavailable to players on lower population servers. On nights where Warzones are not the highlighted activity, you're unlikely to get very many queue pops, if at all.

Yes, server transfers are available, but with a lot of downsides. Some of the issues people have with server mergers are the same for people not wanting to transfer servers (loss of outfits, strongholds, guild ship/ stronghold, character names, etc etc).

In essence, the players that want a server merge want the best of both worlds. They want a large population and they don't want to lose everything like they would with a character transfer.

^^ This pretty much sums up the entire conversation, aside from server stability.

My main concern is losing my character names. In the original server merge I lost a pair of character names that I had since the first 5 minutes of the first wave of the head start period -- simply because I was on an origin, not a destination, server. If a merge happens, those who have had the name the longest (and been active) should be the ones allowed to keep it.

For all the really great names, even 5 minutes may be too late :(

This is an MMO and at the end of the day if Bioware decide to merge servers and this includes losing anything you have there is not a thing you can do about it and a big IF they ever do a merge it will be based on a business decision not on players wanting it and i'm sure Bioware will do the best they can to give people certain items back.

Everything in SWTOR you don't own it including in game items, usernames, when you sign up and read the TOS it states very clearly about this and we all agreed to this including my self .

SWTOR is a great game if it still has 2 or 5 or 10 years left in it at some stage we are all going to lose everything anyway and when that day comes are you prepared ?

That's a different situation when a game finally ends, and I can accept that when it happens, but I don't see why I have to sacrifice and give up everything I've earned and done in this game, tallied into the BILLIONS in game money and hundreds in real life money. Why? So that someone can have a quicker pop? I don't get why people can't solve their own issue. Don't like playing in a five tauntaun town? Then use some of the complimentary coins you get every month and MOVE YOURSELF to where you want to be. Why inflict misery on others that don't want this.

MMO or not, every one that pays a sub here should have the means to enjoy the game they want to play. You want a rat race so much, then move to Harbinger, but leave me alone on my nicely populated Shadowlands, tyvm.

90cc isn't free. People are at liberty to move should they choose, but someone with 90+ alts like myself, moving a server's worth of toons wouldn't be free, by far.

Every month you get cartel coins for subbing so it's free from a certain point of view. That means you can move 5 or 6 toons every month and I do get that you have many alts, as do I, but I only really run about 8 to 10 of my 45.

Every month you get cartel coins for subbing so it's free from a certain point of view. That means you can move 5 or 6 toons every month and I do get that you have many alts, as do I, but I only really run about 8 to 10 of my 45.

"Spend More Money!" should never be the answer from a vendor when the product has issues.

Edited by Rockula

"Spend More Money!" should never be the answer from a vendor when the product has issues.

Yes they need to find a way so that no one loses anything in terms of personal and guild assets.

Because I would be losing much more than a measly 90cc if all my assets were taken away/lost owing to a merge. I've spent BILLIONS in game and hundreds of real life US dollars to get my things...imagine how you would feel if someone tried to take that from you, if you're upset over 90cc for a transfer. (even if the coins are given freely each month with sub).

To make me lose or give up all my strongholds and guildships, names, clothing and bank slots...that would be devastating and I would leave.

Edited by Lunafox

Yes they need to find a way so that no one loses anything in terms of personal and guild assets.

Because I would be losing much more than a measly 90cc if all my assets were taken away/lost owing to a merge. I've spent BILLIONS in game and hundreds of real life US dollars to get my things...imagine how you would feel if someone tried to take that from you, if you're upset over 90cc for a transfer. (even if the coins are given freely each month with sub).

I get it - that's why we're all hoping for a solution where no one loses out.

I don't know if its possible at this point in the game, but I'd love to hear anything from the folks that make those decisions.

I get it - that's why we're all hoping for a solution where no one loses out.

I don't know if its possible at this point in the game, but I'd love to hear anything from the folks that make those decisions.

That would be nice, to know what they're thinking, but given Eric's original post, it doesn't seem they're in a hurry to reveal their hand.

1) People are assuming the cross server ship has sailed. This would be a viable solution as far as I'm concerned. People are under the assumption that it can't work technically.

2) The gameplay situation is where it is now with voluntary, low cost transfers. For everyone who goes to one high pop server, someone goes to the other high pop server. A merge or a "designated transfer" gets everyone going to the same place.

3) The general assumption is that it would open the guild recruiting pool with "new arrivals". A certain guild would also probably lose its economy of scale, would shed members and thus would open up recruiting opportunities.

I think for most people, if pops could be accomplished by cross-server, they could do that. If pops could be accomplished by "designated server" people would do that. 3 is a very small concern held by a very small number, but it is the only real "it has to be merges" argument. Mostly 1 and 2 are reasons.

The point is that they need some population management strategy. People shouldn't have to plan the non-essential parts of their day around queue pops.

1) People are assuming the cross server ship has sailed. This would be a viable solution as far as I'm concerned. People are under the assumption that it can't work technically.

2) The gameplay situation is where it is now with voluntary, low cost transfers. For everyone who goes to one high pop server, someone goes to the other high pop server. A merge or a "designated transfer" gets everyone going to the same place.

3) The general assumption is that it would open the guild recruiting pool with "new arrivals". A certain guild would also probably lose its economy of scale, would shed members and thus would open up recruiting opportunities.

I think for most people, if pops could be accomplished by cross-server, they could do that. If pops could be accomplished by "designated server" people would do that. 3 is a very small concern held by a very small number, but it is the only real "it has to be merges" argument. Mostly 1 and 2 are reasons.

The point is that they need some population management strategy. People shouldn't have to plan the non-essential parts of their day around queue pops.

And where would you locate this cross-server? Colorado Springs? Somewhere halfway between East Coast and West Coast? Someone in PVP isn't going to want to be in a situation where the person he's combating has a 39ms latency and he's sitting on 140ms latency. Some people would get neurotic knowing they were permanently handicapped at a 5-point spread between ping times to anyone they fought cross-server.

I'd rather they merge servers by type rather than region. Have six total servers:

US RP

US PVE

US PVP

EU RP

EU PVE

EU PVP

We don't need "PvP" servers...it's stupid to have them when we have instances and they work great.

I honestly don't mind a server merge, as long as we're warned before it happens and issues regarding guilds/strongholds would be solved beforehand, I wouldn't want to join in a mega server from the USA just to find out I lost my stronghold and my outfits because of the server merge. As to why we need a server merge simple, I suppose it would be cheaper to maintain a single server than all of the current servers, some have too much low of a population and most likely ends up driving people off the game due to the feeling of "Dead MMORPG". One of the things I enjoyed with my short time in ESO was the fact they use a megaserver, now I don't know programming so perhaps they use a different manner of data storage for that server but thing is... the world felt more lively, the cities were full, groups for world bosses were constantly forming ETC. However there is also the downside of server merge, which is basically the risk of a server loosing their own identity after being merged with another.

We don't need "PvP" servers...it's stupid to have them when we have instances and they work great.

Yeah. That's fair. I'm kind of ignorant about the current PVP scene if I'm honest, so I can't speak for PVP players.

I'd rather they merge servers by type rather than region. Have six total servers:

US RP

US PVE

US PVP

EU RP

EU PVE

EU PVP

Thats pretty much what the last server merge did! That is still too many servers, especially considering the changes they made to server PvP a while ago. In my opinion the rp community is currently not big enough in swtor to warrant their own server. Maybe the devs could make an rp instance like they did with pvp.