Is dps sorcerer still that bad?

cfcstl

I am new to sorcerer dps and recently noticed that during the EV infernal council fights I am the last to finish my boss. I have pretty good gear 246-248 with augments, so I thought I might have a rotation problem. After searching a little on sorcerer dps, it seems I might be more underpowered that the other classes. So now I have to decide whether to change to heals with sorcerer or wait it out for improvements.

Is there any word on changes to sorcerer lightning dps?

Is sorcerer that bad that raids will try to avoid them?

Would it help at all to try madness instead of lightning?

Since I am lvl 300, it won't be too hard to switch to heals for better gameplay if dps is really that bad.

Edited by cfcstl

I assume you mean 246/248

- I suggest you first upload the parse - and show us your stats for more info on your char.

- on lightning sorc as a whole, while it is one of the lowest parsing specs, it is completly viable in all current raids on all dificulties, escpially on storymode and hardmode(veteran mode) you should have absolutly 0 issues playing lightning, so if you enjoy it, stick to it.

Edited by Folcwar

Every class/spec is viable at any aspect of this game. It's just a, "not trying to offend", lrn2play issue with most.

Now NiM is a different beast all together, but if someone is having an issue with any spec in SM/HM, NiM isnt a worry as of yet.

Edited by -Highsteel-

Well, when I play Lightning sorc in that fight, I am usually the first or one of the first. Granted, I am not running it with Nim raiders.

So, unless you actually run EV HM with Nim raiders, I'd say it's more of a l2p issue. Unless all other DPSers are really that good.

Few months back, when we still had an HM ops group going in our guild (activity dropped and we disbanded the group for now), I was consistently one of the top DPS in our group while playing Lightning sorc. Even if it is one of the worst in theory, if you are better at playing your class than others in your group, you can make sorc look like a god.

It has the numbers for any fight, you just need to be able to deliver them.

Edited by Equeliber

• 1 month later...

DPS Sorc isn't terrible and works well for most content, but other classes like Merc, Sniper, Mara and PT to name a few, provides higher DPS output with less effort and are often more optimal for an endgame PvP bossfight or ranked pvp utility. For most content Sorc DPS works really well, but it's undeniable that if you put multiple players of equal or at least similar skill on 4 different DPS classes and compared their numbers, the person playing Sorc will be at the bottom of the list.

That said, if you don't intend to do the hardest PvE content or Ranked PvP, play whatever you want.

DPS Sorc isn't terrible and works well for most content, but other classes like Merc, Sniper, Mara and PT to name a few, provides higher DPS output with less effort and are often more optimal for an endgame PvP bossfight or ranked pvp utility. For most content Sorc DPS works really well, but it's undeniable that if you put multiple players of equal or at least similar skill on 4 different DPS classes and compared their numbers, the person playing Sorc will be at the bottom of the list.

That said, if you don't intend to do the hardest PvE content or Ranked PvP, play whatever you want.

If you get full 258 gear on your sorc, you are not a liability anymore :p