Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How do i get more fps/less lag while in a warzone

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How do i get more fps/less lag while in a warzone

snave's Avatar


snave
09.24.2019 , 10:56 AM | #21
After all these years, and all these types of threads, and all these posts claiming 60+ consistent FPS in warzones, I'm still waiting on one of these people to actually link a video showing it.

It's almost like it's an engine limitation, not really linked to pc spec and people are telling fibs about their performance.

Can't be that though, too many people have been getting non verified 120+ FPS running the game on their cousins casio calculator. This is a good Christian game so I don't believe anyone would lie about it.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
09.24.2019 , 11:37 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
After all these years, and all these types of threads, and all these posts claiming 60+ consistent FPS in warzones, I'm still waiting on one of these people to actually link a video showing it.

It's almost like it's an engine limitation, not really linked to pc spec and people are telling fibs about their performance.

Can't be that though, too many people have been getting non verified 120+ FPS running the game on their cousins casio calculator. This is a good Christian game so I don't believe anyone would lie about it.
bruh i get 1002 fps. L2P
-Beruhl (ง︡'-'︠)ง

8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want can i borrow a stim?
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.24.2019 , 11:45 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
After all these years, and all these types of threads, and all these posts claiming 60+ consistent FPS in warzones, I'm still waiting on one of these people to actually link a video showing it.

It's almost like it's an engine limitation, not really linked to pc spec and people are telling fibs about their performance.

Can't be that though, too many people have been getting non verified 120+ FPS running the game on their cousins casio calculator. This is a good Christian game so I don't believe anyone would lie about it.
Probably because recording causes dips in FPS? I tried recording some matches and it tanked my fps. Swtor is one of the few games I can't record regardless if I'm using OBS or geforce shadow recording. I fully admitted that in heavier fights it will dip down pretty far. Sometimes it dips down to 30, most of the time it stays around 60-70 and then back to 144. Obviously if I don't max out of my graphical settings it would probably be more stable, but it is what it is. I'm so used to it now I'm not bothered by it and my gsync monitor makes it way less noticeable.

No one here is denying the fact that this game is poorly optimized running on a jank incomplete engine stuck in 32bit directx9 with it running 2 processes to bypass that limit which in and of itself causes more problems.....Its probably why recording the game murders fps.

Eastiano's Avatar


Eastiano
09.24.2019 , 01:22 PM | #24
I understand the hell of trying to improve this, I think its just an issue with a lot of players and animations on screen, but I'll try to help...

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rToF...ature=youtu.be

Please don't judge my play too harshly, 1st I am crap and 2nd, I was staring at the fps counter most of the time.
But after a minute or so my average fps was 47.
Not too bad but bear in mind I'm running an i7 8700k, gtx1080 and 64 gig ram on my laptop so its pretty comfortable with anything you throw at it.

As others have mentioned, lower settings may bear fruits of higher fps numbers so be sure to try that, and hope you succeed in finding a good balance between playability and prettyness.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.24.2019 , 01:41 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Eastiano View Post
I understand the hell of trying to improve this, I think its just an issue with a lot of players and animations on screen, but I'll try to help...

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rToF...ature=youtu.be

Please don't judge my play too harshly, 1st I am crap and 2nd, I was staring at the fps counter most of the time.
But after a minute or so my average fps was 47.
Not too bad but bear in mind I'm running an i7 8700k, gtx1080 and 64 gig ram on my laptop so its pretty comfortable with anything you throw at it.

As others have mentioned, lower settings may bear fruits of higher fps numbers so be sure to try that, and hope you succeed in finding a good balance between playability and prettyness.
I really think its hit or miss. My last build the game didn't run well at all. Constant hiccups and it was something I simply just got used to. Whether the game just did not like the 5820k, or if it didn't like the board.....who knows, but it never ran good, where as my build before that with an AMD phenom 2 the game ran fine. Granted they have updated some visuals and particle effects over the years so I imagine that amd build probably wouldn't run the game very well anymore.

My current build the game runs with little to no hiccups and generally stable fps all the time where as a friend of mine like you has an 8700k OC'd and its hit or miss. Honestly this games engine is just janky and its up in the air on your chip/bios/drivers on how well the game runs. I've seen potatoes run the game flawlessly on max settings and top tier computers struggle to even run the game at all. End of the day its luck of the draw due to a garbage engine.

Amaste's Avatar


Amaste
09.24.2019 , 07:37 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Of course it should be happening. How good your system is has no bearing on this games general performance. I get 144fps the majority of the time, but this games limitations due to directx9 means I'm going to have frame drops happen when there's a lot going on the screen regardless of what graphical settings I use because the game is only using like 20% of my GPU and it loves to max out one core of my CPU because, again, directx 9 limitations...

General play and even pvp my fps is stable most of the time. 16 man raids? Forget it. Its a stuttering crap shoot no matter what graphical setting is set and its been like that for every build I've had which since launch of the game has been 4 different pc builds.
This.

tbh with the comp i built for this game after the cluster **** fps i got on my older one from when i played Aion, i just threw the cpu with the best single core results i could afford in it and hoped for the best. .-. Not really a computer savant nor do i do 16 man raids, but it's worked fine overall for pvp thus far. Now that I've said something it's going to burst into flames in one of the Huttball hells though.
Leguim, Dück, Neck Rope

Stop Resisting

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.24.2019 , 08:20 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by betaku View Post
you mean 6700K, there is any 5700K.
No, I mean a i7 5700k (which I have OC at 4.8ghz WC)
Please refer to this :
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-50-ghz.html

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.24.2019 , 08:38 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by invertioN View Post
I actually think your suggestions were excellent.

I just don't want people to come and get the wrong expectations that they can run 100 fps in combat in pvp, and then wonder is something wrong with their system when they don't get the expected result.

I'm ignoring what OC'd 9900k can do though, as I don't have experience with that. I'm running 8700k and it's impossible to hold 100 fps constantly, and almost never in combat.
That’s cool, but what graphical settings do you run? That is the most important part. I see people saying it’s impossible to run pvp over 100fps, but they never state what their system is, what else they are doing while playing (ie streaming) or what their graphical settings are.

I will fully agree that if you have all the settings up high, even with enhanced shadows off and you start out with 100+ FPS, you will get dips down to 60-70fps. But if you optimise your system, run no unnecessary back ground apps or windows services and don’t run your game graphics at max or more than the system can handle, you can comfortably play higher than 150fps and only dip to 100fps.

I noticed some people here suggesting proof of that, but that is a double bladed sword because streaming or running a capture program is one of those unnecessary apps that will impact your game FPS performance. So trying to show proof by running that will of course make it next to impossible to prove you can do it.

So I’ll leave it there. I’ve nothing to prove. I can personally run mine with higher FPS. I’ve given the OP some suggestions on how to improve his FPS, it’s up to them to decide if visual quality bling is more important to them in pvp over performance. For me, performance comes first every time. Some people prefer a balance, while other want to play at max settings, which isn’t optimal for this engine, no mater how good your system.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.24.2019 , 09:01 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Eastiano View Post

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;
V-sync will mostly cause a performance hit in graphical intensive environments. This is a little known fact because in FP shooters (with optimised game engines), v-sync can give you an advantage in older games, but it can still lag your game in puts. So because most people see an advantage with v-sync in FP shooters, the consensus seems to be v-sync should be used for everything. Which is wrong.

Some technical info to back up what I’m saying. When you use v-sync, your graphics card has to match your monitor output. This can cause a lag input from what you see and when to press your mouse or keyboard because most standard monitors are “dumb” monitors they rely completely on the PC input. This can add a little more work for the system, which in turn adds its own lag.

The flip side to that is G-Sync monitors (or AMD equivalent) have a processing chip in them to take some of the syncing responsibility off the graphics card. Monitors like this will give you better performance and an advantage over someone who doesn’t have one. But if the game doesn’t support them and only has v-sync, you still don’t turn on v-sync. You turn on g-sync outside of the game using the proprietary graphics driver.

This info is readily available on the internet. But if you need references because you can’t find them, let me know and I’ll post some.

NogueiraA's Avatar


NogueiraA
09.24.2019 , 09:05 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I’ve a 5700k, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD and a GTX 1080
For pvp I turn my settings down to maximise performance. I get 120-180 FPS

The best solution for PvP is to turn down and off some graphics settings.

Turn of Enhanced Shadow (it should give you an extra 20+ FPS)
Turn of Shadow Quality totally and this will disable shadow cascades too (this will give you another 20+ FPS) and make the game more smooth
Turn off bloom as this also causes a drop in FPS and isn’t needed in pvp.

If you aren’t getting 120-180 FPS after that, then you can try reducing some of the other settings.
Start with grass and tree viewing distance (I use 30%)
Then Antialiasing.
Once you get a reasonable FPS, start increase something’s till you get it balanced between performance and best looking.
I REALLY doubt you get 100+ fps on 8vs8 warzone in the middle of the team fight.
That I can't believe, sorry.
La'izen | Sentinel
Jedi Laizen | Guardian
Satele Shan
BETA tester