EU and how it changes Star Wars(in a good and bad way)

EngineerDavid

Regarding the EU, I feel torn. Because though the EU had given us, IMO, some great and awesome stories, like:

- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (the comics, games and entire area)

- Star Wars Legacy

- Rise of Darth Bane and Rule of Two(also the war before that,...)

it has also given me the creeps... The entire New Republic area(4 ABY - 45 ABY), it seems like al these authors made the same mistake:

It always had to be bigger, more dangerous and more dramatic.

Like the authors said: "Hey you know that last novel of that other auther were you tought it was dangereous? Wel now it really is even more dangerous." They even killed Chewie, trying to make their point.

The parade of superweapons(a small ship deadlier then the Death Star???), superpowers(teleportation???? Making black holes???) and clones of the emperor, are just ridiculous. Trying to top the Death Star and trying to top the Emperor in Episode VI as the "Ultimate Evil".

And though all these stories have some cool attributes(like in the Yuuzang Vong-Invasion where Empire and Republic must try to work together), to me they fail in the big picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interviewer: "Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?"

Lucas: "But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there's three worlds: There's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world, and then there's the fans' world, which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world. I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Lucas went the wrong way, he should have never allowed Dark Empire I and II, he should have never made The Force Unleashed a strict canon game, that is just over the top... It doesn't add up with the idea of Jedi and Sith we get in the movies...

Please feel free to add your thoughts, but please no cursing and calling people idiots, everyone has a right to have his opinion.

meh the whole eu is a mess written by people who's skills has a novelists or even a fact finding researcher is called into question time and again they tend to make up their own lore and things rather then fill in the gaps and then something else more “canon” and I say that questionably … I'm looking at you clone wars … and pretty much destroys any credibility that author had

My favorite EU Star Wars element were the Zahn trilogy around Thrawn. They didn't suffer from the "bigger, better, greater" syndrome yet then.

I read the NJO/Vong books, but at some point I only read them to get closure. I wasn't happy with them at all.

That unfortunately made me stop following the SW novel lines. I didn'T try out Legacy (though the setting sounds kinda cool) nor any Old Republic stuff.

Personally I have to admit that I actually prefer the Old Republic and "Prequel" setting to the original movies, and for that reason I've never really managed to get into the period that followed "Return of the Jedi". Nor have I watched any of the "Clone Wars" cartoon stuff. The way characters are drawn/depicted just makes me want to throw up. (Monentary sidetrack: when did cartoons have to stop looking like real humans and adults, and turn into those wierd abominations we see today!?).

Overall, however, I do believe that the EU brought some nice additional details to the Star Wars setting, and I also find that I prefer the EU take on the Force, rather than the very black/white approach taken by the movies. It works for movies and "kiddie stories", but personally I find that "shades of grey" are far more interesting.

Only good New Republic novel imo are the Timothy Zahn's specifically Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology which tbh are my favorite EU books of all time because it's really the only time where a non-force user villain is in a way more threatening than Vader or Palpatine. Edited by Idunhavaname

The cartoons are indeed an abomination.

As for the feel of the force, I like the SwTor-view the most :) But the New Republic era makes the force look like magic... Something The Force isn't.

How are the cartoons an abomination? Also, how does the New Republic era make the force look like magic. Better yet, how is the force not magic? Have you ever seen the SW movies?

Regarding the EU, I feel torn. Because though the EU had given us, IMO, some great and awesome stories, like:

- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (the comics, games and entire area)

- Star Wars Legacy

- Rise of Darth Bane and Rule of Two(also the war before that,...)

it has also given me the creeps... The entire New Republic area(4 ABY - 45 ABY), it seems like al these authors made the same mistake:

It always had to be bigger, more dangerous and more dramatic.

Like the authors said: "Hey you know that last novel of that other auther were you tought it was dangereous? Wel now it really is even more dangerous." They even killed Chewie, trying to make their point.

Yeah, I guess chewie was just going to live forever

• 2 months later...
In my experience, some books are good, others, bad. For example, I enjoyed "Allegiance" by Timothy Zhaun, while a few moments into reading the description of "Death Troopers", I found my self spamming the "back" button on my Kindle. Zombie Stormtroopers? Really?