Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

Tenceriker
04.28.2012 , 12:55 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Did you post on the RIFT forums last year?? I saw this EXACT same post there! And guess what? Server transfers worked wonderfully, anyway!
So how is this going to play out like Rift when they are doing the exact opposite of how Rift handled transfers?
Relabeling future patches as Expansions, just like EA Louse said a year ago. Who got the last laugh?

ktkenshinx
04.28.2012 , 12:55 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Damidos View Post
Their are super high pop server... where i havnt seen any?
The only two that come to mind are Fatman and Swiftsure, but as you suggest, there really aren't that many. Most servers have fairly average populations. The problem is that BW diluted its player base by opening up too many servers when the game launched. That decision haunts them to this day.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

TCMcQueen
04.28.2012 , 12:57 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvpingwithnoobs View Post
Wow didn't cost a few hundred million to make and certainly didn't have server transfers after 6 months.

Then again, how long was it after Rift released that they offered transferred again?

Because that game cost a few hundred million to make and was owned by a company who made a big loss last year.

Lol, I ain't got nothing to lose, looks like some already have.
Are we talking about this Rift? http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-USD85-million

100+ Million in 10 months. Rift is dying like TOR is dying. As in neither are. You really should refrain from inflicting your peculiar brand of insanity on us again.

glazia
04.28.2012 , 02:11 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiggress View Post
Game is fine, THEY just started with way too many servers, ...it allowed everyone to get online right at the gate (for almost everyone)...this is a good move..and will consolidate, remove some servers, and increase the population on servers(those that are low)...
sorry but the game is not fine the char transfer's better be here way before summer and before 1.3 is out i hope it will be free if its not they are only killing this game more then they have. trion has free transfer's that's included in the monthly payment

JeramieCrowe
04.28.2012 , 02:13 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenceriker View Post
So how is this going to play out like Rift when they are doing the exact opposite of how Rift handled transfers?
I don't understand your question. "The exact opposite of Rift" would be to not offer server transfers at all...
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

JeramieCrowe
04.28.2012 , 02:16 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Ritterific View Post
If TOR had the needed population, I wouldn't have to wait 5 hours to play a warzone. Also, cross server quing gives me people to play with without me having to switch to another server, thereby leaving my RL friends, guild, and alts behind. You are correct though, I will probably be leaving. Which is a shame because I really like playing this game. It's just that my schedule isn't "compatible" with TOR's schedule it seems...
TOR has the needed population because I, on the 10th populated server, have no issues with queues, nor do I have any issues making a full 24-man ops group within 20 minutes, THREE times in two days just 5 days ago. If my server is 10th place, and I get it that fast, then, by using the laws of average, by the time you get to the 30th server, you'll start to have issues.

Also, the population is there, they're just not playing at the same time as you anymore. Like they did at launch.

I'm surprised this seems to be a new concept, given that it's happened to every single MMO every launched.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

recsa
04.28.2012 , 02:19 AM | #127
Right now, for somethng like 50% player base (the ppl outside the 2-3 overpopulated servers) the game has 1 BIG problem, rest are just more annoyances than anything, thats it: Low servers population making game unplayable.

For a couple months now, we have seen people leaving the game in a daily basis, some of us took the deccision to leave our "dead servers" and start a new career on a more populated one, in the hope, that sometime along the road we would be allowed to transfer our insane amount of hours invested to our new server.

But today we know this is not happening any soon (summer) and that in order to choose our targeted server for transfers we will have to pay.

So thats how Bioware pays us for our loyalty, forcing us to pay for something that is not our fault, we didnt choose to play on a low populated server, at launch you put a ridiculosly low server cap, forcing us to spread among tons of tiny shards, after launch hype, people started to leave game, leaving most of the servers as we can see them today .. almost empty.

Whos responsible for that? me? dont think so, if server caps would not have been so low at launch i would have choose Tomb of Freedom Nad (EU) the main PvP server choosen by Spanish community, but queues at launch were ... hours long, Bioware did it afraid of servers overloading and underperforming, along the road, they just improved hardware or simply got rid of their fears. Today that server holds a lot more population and queues are fine.

I can understand you have to take some measures to avoid server transfers to collapse specific serveres, but forcing us to pay is an OUTRAGE, the are other solutions that doesnt imply insulting us, the loyal people that have keep playing and paying while others canceled waiting for better times.

SOLUTION:
Take a snapshot at yesterday's date of lvl 50 accounts on each server, allow people to FREE transfer chars to any server where they already have a lvl 50 toon, this will not affect server load, since we are already playing there.

Also ... summer? server pop is your #1 issue right now, you are killing your own game, everything else (ranked pvp, legacy, ....) is important but not game breaking, there are 3 steps you need to acomplish as soon as tomorrow in order to give game a boost:
1- Server Transfers
2- Cross server LFG tool
3- Server Merges

Please consider it.
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

Sammm
04.28.2012 , 02:19 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
The only two that come to mind are Fatman and Swiftsure, but as you suggest, there really aren't that many. Most servers have fairly average populations. The problem is that BW diluted its player base by opening up too many servers when the game launched. That decision haunts them to this day.
What choices did they have? If there were less servers, the average queue time and lag in December 2011 would have been horrendous (something like 4-5 hours). With a lot (120+) of north american servers, they were able to deal with millions of players who played for an average daily playtime of 8 hours! Not 2-3 hours, 8!!! I bet that for the SWTOR staff, it was a huge dilemma. What would you have possibly done if you were them?

JeramieCrowe
04.28.2012 , 02:20 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
"Haunt"? I doubt it. TOR had the best launch with the least queue times of any other MMO in history. That's a good thing, in case you didn't notice. Now, they're doing exactly what's expected: offering server transfers in an organized, strategic way to populate all servers.

Chicken Littles notwithstanding...

Shamballa
04.28.2012 , 02:20 AM | #130
While I am pleased with the tentative release schedule of summer, since it is pretty close, strictly speaking, people have made valid arguments about being outraged that Bioware wants us to pay for server transfers. Bioware/EA need to do a lot of stuff to save face with customers right now, in order to save/stabilize the population. Server merges, LFG tools, character transfers, etc. will really improve the grouping problems most of the current players are experiencing.

That said, you will not see those features save the game if people have to pay for them, especially if they are overpriced like I think the transfer features on WoW are. $25 to $30 dollars for server transfer like WoW? You want people to pay and not feel completely back-stabbed? Then $5 dollars is the limit. And given the circumstances (mainly that the players are not the ones to blame for playing on a server in the beginning of the game that slowly decayed to low population) any charge on these features is just going to make them lose more subscriptions than it will save, IMO. Bioware needs to set things right while also not mugging us for a few extra dollars in the process. The customer needs to be happy, key point of a business. Customers will go elsewhere if they are not treated well.

And my strong belief is that server mergers are a good choice for Bioware here. Simply transfer all the characters from about three(?) low population servers together, for free! If you want to choose your destination, maybe you have to pay a small $5 fee. Seems like a possible compromise...though if we have to pay $5 for each character and we want to move multiple ones, the price could add up and become unacceptable. Bulk moves are the way to go.