Why does the Knight seem to advance so relatively slowly in rank?

dcaleb

So, does it seem weird to anyone else that the Knight doesn't get promoted to Jedi Master until the end of chapter 3 after he beats the Emperor himself and has saved the population of several entire planets (including Coruscant and Tython)? It just feels like they kinda forgot they hadn't promoted him yet or something, especially considering he had already been made the Supreme Jedi Commander of a task force on Corellia that included at least one jedi master.

Meanwhile, the Consular gets master rank at the end of act one/beginning of act two along with a super special title that hasn't been awarded in over a thousand years for averting a disaster that was arguably less serious then all of those planet destroying super weapons the Knight stopped in chapter one (one of which was, again, aimed at Tython and all the jedi on it). And by the time the Knight finally gets around to being made a master in chapter 3 the Consular is getting a seat on the High Council, a position the Knight won't get an equivalent to until they are declared the new battlemaster at the end of SoR.

And of course, they can't be compared as directly but force using Empire characters also end their stories pretty high up on the pyramid instead of being relegated to a relatively generic position in their order. Neither of them end the story only being a 'mere' Darth with no powers or responsibilities that set them apart from the random schmucks with that kind of title that get mowed down by the PC on a fairly regular basis.

So, what is up with that? Did the various writers just not compare notes and realize the Knight was kinda not getting as much as the other guys? Did the writer of the Knight story just consciously decide they weren't changing it just because other people were heaping honor and titles on other characters that made the Knight's look like garbage?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knights get the best story; The ultimate villain. As such, they don't require fancy titles or anything like that.

:D

However...

I'd say Battlemaster of the Jedi Order is a pretty fancy one, and the kind of thing I ALWAYS envisioned, after the fall of the previous holder of the title.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I feel like they should have been a master earlier in their story and been made battlemaster at the end of act 3.

I mean, keeping up with the glory of other force users aside, it kinda seems weird in story. The last battlemaster we know of died to the BH at the end of the original storyline era, so either they gave that job to some nameless loser who got killed off recently instead of the guy who just beat the Emperor or they have left that position vacant for years and only just now got around to filling it back up despite being in a time of war when such a post seems pretty damn important. Either one seems really weird from a story perspective.

Edited by dcaleb

The end of chapter 3 for the JK depends on your light/dark alignment too. If you're too dark they don't make you a Master, but the Republic makes you a General instead.

General title is not available however, same way the last two for the Jedi Consular -- depending on your alignment -- were removed after the Open or Closed Beta.

Knights get the best story; The ultimate villain.

For all the good that did...

I would actually laugh (bitterly, but laugh still) if in next expansion the Knight canonically loses the Master title.

"Whoops. You didn't do the job after all. Sorry."

"Codex Entry: Title Removed (Master)"

Edited by CrutchCricket

For all the good that did...

I would actually laugh (bitterly, but laugh still) if in next expansion the Knight canonically loses the Master title.

"Whoops. You didn't do the job after all. Sorry."

"Codex Entry: Title Removed (Master)"

For what is worth, the Jedi Knight wasn't exactly consulted or attended the committee that decided the Emperor was truly dead. As such, the Knight shouldn't take the fall for that one. :D

It probably has to do with how short a time period it really is. The class stories take place over the course of a rather small time frame. Only about 1-3 years. Normally it takes a lot longer for a Jedi to become a master. In the case of the Consular, it was a special case determined by circumstance as much as the Consular's own accomplishments.

It probably has to do with how short a time period it really is. The class stories take place over the course of a rather small time frame. Only about 1-3 years. Normally it takes a lot longer for a Jedi to become a master. In the case of the Consular, it was a special case determined by circumstance as much as the Consular's own accomplishments.

Issue being, depending on player choice, the Consular's efforts may turn out to be redundant.

The Jedi Knight, on the other hand, INEVITABLY saves the life of every single Jedi on Tython, including -- at least -- one Council member, namely Grand Master Satele.

This, in addition to the weapons of selective destruction that are either destroyed or neutralized along the way, throughout the galaxy, prior to it.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Knights get the best story; The ultimate villain. As such, they don't require fancy titles or anything like that.

However...

I'd say Battlemaster of the Jedi Order is a pretty fancy one, and the kind of thing I ALWAYS envisioned, after the fall of the previous holder of the title.

I'd hardly call the JK the best story. It's pretty much a reprint of Luke's story with a few alterations to fit in the TOR universe. But then again I found all of the Republic side stories bland, the Consular story being the worst offender to this and the Smuggler actually being the best story.

Edited by Silverspar

Also, humility is a virtue.

I'd hardly call the JK the best story. It's pretty much a reprint of Luke's story with a few alterations to fit in the TOR universe. But then again I found all of the Republic side stories bland, the Consular story being the worst offender to this and the Smuggler actually being the best story.

Smugglers villain is a pretty good one in my opinion. Nothing quite as good to instill revenge as the guy that steals your ship..

Edited by Karkais

However...

Who was the previous title holder ?

However...

Could be I am misremembering the title, but wasn't one such titleholder killed by player(s) as the final opponent of imperial "assault on tython" flashpoint? Incidentally, a Nautolan. I can't remember then name.

You're complaining about titles when the entire Council is tripping over themselves to worship the ground you walk on from about...level 2? :p

The Knight is probably my least favorite story. I've never been able to get into it due to the sheer cheese and the total lack of an arc, it's just pure unadulterated, "You are the greatest hero in the history of ever and always!" from the minute you step off the shuttle on Tython. :rolleyes:

I think the reason is this. You are not awarded the title of Jedi Master due to accomplishments. Obi Wan had numerous great accomplishments and I think was always a Jedi Knight. Its about your mastery of the force.

The Canon (of the game at least) has Jedi Knights as Jedi Warriors (Valiant, Determined, Guardian of Peace...Combining the foresight of the Force with unrivaled reflexes and practiced physical precision, the Knight turns combat into an art form, gracefully executing acrobatic feats in tandem with elegant lightsaber tactics.) and Consulars as those who are more concerned with Mastering in the force (Visionary, Ambassador, Seeker of Jedi Wisdom...Intimate attunement with the deepest Force mysteries gives Jedi Consulars the insight and empathy to deftly handle charged conflicts that confound even the most cunning Senators and governors—but Consulars know when it’s time to talk and when it’s time to fight.). the Consular story evidences that. Yeah you are beating bad guys but that is not why you are getting the accolades. You are praised for researching Jedi lore and helping to reconstruct and master a long lost force shielding technique.

AKA: That dude who got the Supreme Chancellor either killed or politically ruined and out of a job so that we have to deal with that stupid Twi'lek.

I am still trying to figure out how a provincial governor of a backwater planet that in the year or so that they had time did absolutely nothing was even considered for the role of Supreme Chancellor, let alone got elected. Talk about Deus Ex Machina plot convenience. Though... part of me wonders if Saresh is actually a pawn of the Emperor or not at times, given the ease of her ascension to power. Seems all too convenient and would practically mirror the movies, as BioWare has been doing basically.

I am still trying to figure out how a provincial governor of a backwater planet that in the year or so that they had time did absolutely nothing was even considered for the role of Supreme Chancellor, let alone got elected. Talk about Deus Ex Machina plot convenience. Though... part of me wonders if Saresh is actually a pawn of the Emperor or not at times, given the ease of her ascension to power. Seems all too convenient and would practically mirror the movies, as BioWare has been doing basically.

I've wondered that myself, but I generally think that she's just being stupid and overzealous. Let's hope for her it's an act, otherwise she's gone first chance I get with a Rep char.

I've wondered that myself, but I generally think that she's just being stupid and overzealous. Let's hope for her it's an act, otherwise she's gone first chance I get with a Rep char.

IMHO, there are hints here and there that allude to the possibility that Saresh, possibly together with the GenoHaradan, somehow played a role in the fall of Janarus.

IMHO, there are hints here and there that allude to the possibility that Saresh, possibly together with the GenoHaradan, somehow played a role in the fall of Janarus.

Oh I know she's a dirty dealer. Hell, when you are running through Republic Taris, she strong arms practically everyone to stay and work, and I still submit that from that point to the roughly 8 months to a year before the Empire came in and attacked, nothing happened, leaves me to wonder even more. Her ascension to power was too convenient, of course.

I can see the ad campaign; "Elect Governor Saresh, where together with my Tarisian brothers and sisters, we did absolutely nothing in the time we held the planet, and then I left while the planet was under siege and attacked by the Empire, as hundreds of Cathar I strong armed into staying and taking land with Rhakghoul plagued monstrosities perished by their hand. Oh did I forget to mention I am also solely responsible for reintroducing the Rhakghoul epidemic to the greater galaxy by allowing madmen the chance to examine those horrid creatures?"

I know we are suppose to be hoorah Republic in all the stories, but playing on Imperial side I keep laughing at all the things that make even the Empire pause and go what that the Republic does.