8/2 - PVE Sniper community questions

paowee

PVE Sniper AND Gunslinger community questions thread

This thread is for the discussion of the questions the PVE Sniper/Gunslinger community wants BW to answer.

The purpose of the spreadsheet is to make the questions "readily available" to viewers. I've added questions from the other thread and you can view them in this file https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtS6aucNXnGndFNtdDN5UTJGLW9ZNGcydEFOUTR2aFE#gid=0

As you compile your top 3 keep in mind that the goal is provide commentary and specifically questions to the development team which you wish have them address. Try to phrase things in the way of questions that we can answer.

Bad example: You guys are aware that we suck in PvP right?

Good example: We feel that in general our class lacks some utility and cc in comparison to other classes in Warzones. As an example (your reasoning), do you guys feel we are in a good place here? Do you also feel this is an issue?

We need 1 PVE question, 1 PVP question and one other (determined by most votes). If you find a question you like you can vote now or change it before our deadline which is 8/2/13 this Friday.

8/2 - PVE Sniper/Gunslinger community questions

pve 5
pve 3
pve 4
Edited by paowee
Class representative clarification of title

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paowee, just so you're aware, I spoke to Bruce Maclean at the San Diego Cantina Tour about the /jump in place cluster bombs. He confirmed it was unintended, and to expect a fix in a future patch.

No questions about rolling in place i guess. It is going to get fixed soon.

Edited by paowee

Nice Paowee, I'd recommend making mirror threads in the Gunslinger boards that link to your threads over here once the voting for Gunslinger rep is done. The more consolidated this is the easier it will be to follow. I'd do it but I don't want to step on any toes or cause confusion. :p

No questions about rolling in place please. It is going to get fixed soon.

If it's going to be fixed soon, then I assume the developers have some idea on buffing Saboteur/Engineering damage to the point where it's much closer to the other specs. If we don't need to ask about rolling, we should definitely ask about what they plan to do with Saboteur/Engineering.

If it's going to be fixed soon, then I assume the developers have some idea on buffing Saboteur/Engineering damage to the point where it's much closer to the other specs.
That's the question in our minds. Is Engineering in an ok place right now? In paper, a few hundred DPS above the other specs on large bosses, and a few hundred DPS below the other specs on small bosses.

If say, you want Engineering to be close to the other specs across the board, then that means shifting a big bulk of its DPS from Scatter Bombs ( rolling ) to other abilities in the conventional single target rotation. That could mean nerfing Scatter Bombs and buffing abilities like SoS or EP or PP.

Imo: i hope Engineering/Saboteur stays the same (and that they designed the spec exactly like how we play it now). But who knows :rolleyes: It is a good question though, if anyone wants to step in and formulate one (not sure i think it is in the spreadsheet already(?)

Nice Paowee, I'd recommend making mirror threads in the Gunslinger boards that link to your threads over here once the voting for Gunslinger rep is done. The more consolidated this is the easier it will be to follow. I'd do it but I don't want to step on any toes or cause confusion. :p
Yes definitely, just waiting for their voting to finish. The Gunslinger rep can do the same when their deadline comes (and then the snipers can chime in on the Slinger thread).

I guess in total each class gets 6 questions each. 3 for "itself" and 3 from its mirror.

Edited by paowee

For my voting on questions:

For pvp I vote for row 4.

For pve I vote for row 3.

For other I vote for the concept behind the specs (as a both pve/PvP thing).

Masterjacer >_< We still want more questions. lol. But anyway sure i'll add your vote but if you change your mind just let me know.

Edited by paowee

I take back what i said Masterjacer. I think the load will be easier on me if i can add people's votes as early as now instead of waiting for a big chunk of votes to tally in one or 2 days... Submission of questions is this Friday.

Potential sniper/slinger voters i know or see in THIS forum. 3 votes each. This doesn't include those who post exclusively in the slinger and the pvp forums.

masterjacer

evryday

diadox

boarder

cjnj

vaidinah

scytheeleven

trephination

bainos/escarli

notomorrow

pistols

angelsflutter

gondolirihim

axka

thomascool

mastrical

bobafaceorll

alferi

orpheus

dieghostid

elfa

aoristos

blackspin

chiuxpu

ziggy

kbn

miralukajedi

shivradu

letocleon

pikk

casitas

samuel

galdarion

synavix

darthovertone

ardarel

islander

betakiller

ssfish

isithmypants

falver

fenrir

zunayson

psylee

funkiestj

isapatential

thejedimaste

jimvinny

windogie

shulk

euue

xboson

haegert

bsbrad

artikuren

acguitaplayer

naaras

braedenz

yncrackmundo

amilar

slitch

laze

tralt

Edited by paowee

For pve I vote for row 5. I don't pve but if engineering is only viable on certain bosses then for me that's an issue that needs sorting out. Engineering Snipers have always been the rarest and that's something I like to see changed.

That's the question in our minds. Is Engineering in an ok place right now? In paper, a few hundred DPS above the other specs on large bosses, and a few hundred DPS below the other specs on small bosses.

If say, you want Engineering to be close to the other specs across the board, then that means shifting a big bulk of its DPS from Scatter Bombs ( rolling ) to other abilities in the conventional single target rotation. That could mean nerfing Scatter Bombs and buffing abilities like SoS or EP or PP.

Imo: i hope Engineering/Saboteur stays the same (and that they designed the spec exactly like how we play it now). But who knows :rolleyes: It is a good question though, if anyone wants to step in and formulate one (not sure i think it is in the spreadsheet already(?)

Honestly i feel that this question actually goes beyond justewngi/sab slingers and snipers. This game has 4 major AOE specs, Engi/sab(us), AP/tactics(the power5tech/VGs), and sent/mara smash and jugg/guardian smash. Since the beginning of the game single target specs > AOE specs in terms of damage, with the AOEs balancing out with adds and such. That's great and all, but seeing as in most cases adds really are not a big deal and can just be killed in most cases by the rest of the single target dps, then what is the point of taking anybody in an AOE spec? Why should an AOE spec need fluff damage in order to be on par?

Every spec outside of infil/deception shadow/sins has some sort of semi buffed AOE move in their arsenal, so why take an AOE spec?

With the roll engi/Sab has a reason to be brought on at least half of the bosses, which is better to say for some of the other specs in the game, but if we end up losing that roll then there no point of specing an engi/Sab spec unless its single target gets semi buffed.

With the roll engi/Sab has a reason to be brought on at least half of the bosses, which is better to say for some of the other specs in the game, but if we end up losing that roll then there no point of specing an engi/Sab spec unless its single target gets semi buffed.
Yep! I do hope, if we every end up asking this question, that Engineering scatter bombs is doing the DPS they intended >_<. I'd be semi-sad if they say,

"oh we did not intend for scatter bombs to be like 25% of your damage when used on cooldown. we are planning on reducing its damage to half and buffing your sustained DoT damage instead. Also we feel that your burst is off the charts with OS > CE > EMP > CE that's why we are going to put some of this DPS and give it some ramp up instead. So less burst and dps through bombs, but more sustained through (say maybe IP, EP, ER and PP?)"

and that is the day engineering becomes just another dot class....:(

#biased

lol:o

Reason why i personally dont want engineering to become "just another dot class" is because right now, with its current reliance on the rolling mechanic to do top dps, it gives you a very high-risk high-reward form of playstyle. See this recent post on the Engineering sticky thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6597081#post6597081#259

That's great and all, but seeing as in most cases adds really are not a big deal and can just be killed in most cases by the rest of the single target dps, then what is the point of taking anybody in an AOE spec? Why should an AOE spec need fluff damage in order to be on par?
Oh wait till you do 16-m NiM Operator IX. Those adds melt (healers) and tanks!

There are SOME fights in the game where AoE damage is (semi) important but you are correct, right now there is more emphasis on single target DPS.

p.s. which Engineering CAN provide! The boss just gotta be large enough.

Edited by paowee

Yep! I do hope, if we every end up asking this question, that Engineering scatter bombs is doing the DPS they intended >_<. I'd be semi-sad if they say,

"oh we did not intend for scatter bombs to be like 25% of your damage when used on cooldown. we are planning on reducing its damage to half and buffing your sustained DoT damage instead. Also we feel that your burst is off the charts with OS > CE > EMP > CE that's why we are going to put some of this DPS and give it some ramp up instead. So less burst and dps through bombs, but more sustained through (say maybe IP, EP, ER and PP?)"

and that is the day engineering becomes just another dot class....:(

#biased

lol:o

Reason why i dont want engineering to become "just another dot class" is right now, with its current reliance on the rolling mechanic to do top dps, it gives you a very high-risk high-reward form of playstyle. See this recent post on the Engineering sticky thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6597081&postcount=259

Oh wait till you do 16-m NiM Operator IX. Those adds melt (healers) and tanks!

There are SOME fights in the game where AoE damage is (semi) important but right now there is more emphasis on single target DPS.

p.s. which Engineering CAN provide! The boss just gotta be large enough.

Sorry don't know fancy quoting techniques. Tbh I forgot about operator he he.

And for the p.s. I was referring to engi w/o roll

I'm a bit late to the party, but was a question not proposed in regards to our set bonuses? If that is the case, that would be my nomination for our PvE question. Specifically, something along the lines of:

-----

A lot of work has been done to shift the emphasis away from PvP grinding for the sake of PvE gearing with recent changes made to many relics. However, many Snipers and Gunslingers are still finding it far more advantageous to stack a 2 piece PvP set bonus along with their 2 piece PvE set bonus, largely because the 4 piece PvE set bonus is *bad*. The PvP set bonus not only provides more DPS in most single target situations, but provides significantly more utility in giving our best AoE a longer uptime...meaning less time your group has to spend on adds, or less "precision" with how you well you time your cast. Our 4 piece PvE set bonus, on the other hand, is almost useless for every spec except for pure Lethality, and with the changes made to energy costs (along with the inevitable increase in crit% with more gear to proc Lethal Purpose) even for Lethality it seems far less mandatory than other classes which receive a straight DPS increase. Are there any plans to (once again) rework any of the set bonuses with a future tier?

------

My vote would go to that as well, obviously.

I am not sure what your plans are for our third question, although I addressed that a bit in the PvP question topic. For those that have not already seen (I know Paowee has):

With that said, we do have a third question available after our PvP and PvE ones are decided, and from the looks of it we could very easily get a hybrid PvP/PvE question out of questions 3 or 4.

(PvP) Question 3 fits right in with the PvE question of whether or not Laze Target will ever be addressed, and could potentially even be expanded to encompass cooldowns in general: both offensive and defensive. No reason to limit it to one or two specific abilities.

(PvP) Question 4 could be reworded to fit in with the PvE question 3, in regards to the balance issues of Lethality and whether or not we can see more of it's damage focus shifted back into single target sustained damage (to both buff the PvE DPS and shift some of the focus off "spam dotting" in PvP).

I am not sure what your plans are for our third question, although I addressed that a bit in the PvP question topic. For those that have not already seen (I know Paowee has):
Third one can be the third highest voted question, or we could give it to the pvpers (or they could give it to the pvers. we'll see lol).

I'll add your question to the list. That is what this thread is for.

Edited by paowee

Just a thought, so voting ends Monday, which means we would have had 2 days (tues and wed) to discuss the questions, 1 day to probably vote and decide (thurs), and friday being the deadline (day to talk to BW). No wonder they put snipers on top... maybe they saw we start early! -___- imagine if we were on the sin forums, a very vocal lot AND they have a lot of issues. ~3 days won't be enough on top of the class rep's RL. lol Edited by paowee

Yeah I feel bad for them; they could probably get 3 pretty easy questions just on each role of tanking/DPSing, they've got quite a bit of work to figure out how to narrow it down to 3 for tanking, dpsing, pve, pvp all combined.

Glad we have you on top of it here!

My votes would be for:

PVE: 6

PVP: 8

Other: (PVE) 8 (because it affects both PVE and PVP to some extent.)

I'm trying to come up with a couple of questions for the next 3 / gunslinger question allocation will update soon

Edited by Solar_Breeze