Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is ESO making a dent in this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas
04.07.2014 , 10:34 AM | #1
I have not even checked out ESO, I have no interest. However, I hear in the forums/general chat that ESO is killing SWTOR. I've heard this several times over the past 2 years and didn't think much of it. But this past weekend I noticed that my PvP queue times are significantly longer than before ESO came out...
Med´vh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
D´omedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

Infernixx
04.07.2014 , 10:36 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
I have not even checked out ESO, I have no interest. However, I hear in the forums/general chat that ESO is killing SWTOR. I've heard this several times over the past 2 years and didn't think much of it. But this past weekend I noticed that my PvP queue times are significantly longer than before ESO came out...
Your own personal experiences are simple anecdotal evidence. It means nothing.

In my own opinion, no. ESO will not make any noticeable impact on TOR. One is a fantasy setting with a PVP focus, while the other is a space setting with a PVE focus.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

LydMekk
04.07.2014 , 10:40 AM | #3
ESO really blows IMO from what ive seen on 'tube videos.

DarthTHC
04.07.2014 , 10:41 AM | #4
I was surprised to see the server window at prime time over the weekend with my server not Very Heavy. There could be a lot of reasons for that, but one might be ESO. It sort of makes sense that people will try a new game for a while.

When the game was first announced, I was quite interested in it. Then I learned of its PvP bent and that's just not me, but I was still interested. Then I played it during game test and that was more than enough to convince me I wouldn't buy it.

I have a feeling that it will draw some smallish percentage of SWTOR players away for a month or maybe two, tops, then most of them will return.

BuriDogshin
04.07.2014 , 10:44 AM | #5
Right now there is a bit of ESO activity (and Diablo III) among my guildmates, but I predict that activity will drop substantially once 2.7 is released tomorrow, and even more so for the double XP weekend.

Good timing, Bioware.

psandak
04.07.2014 , 10:46 AM | #6
Time-out folks. Something to consider besides ESO, is that it is SPRING time and Spring Break time all over the US. Kids and adults alike are taking time to...OMG...enjoy the outdoors and good weather. And it will only get worse because for students final exams are around the corner, and the weather will only get better (I know I broke out my golf clubs yesterday ).

So prepare yourself for a dip in population (especially at non-peak times) probably until August-September.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

DarthKaldriss
04.07.2014 , 10:53 AM | #7
I would like to say I'm playing TESO. However it is offline again lol. Zenimax sure does like to take the EU server offline during EU prime time.
The game (when it works) is ok but I'll not be leaving SWTOR for it.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun !!

Rafaman
04.07.2014 , 11:18 AM | #8
There is an ebb and flow to MMOs these days. Are there players giving TESO a try? Yup. Some may even stay. But invariably, many will come back. So... TESO will be about as impactful as GW2 which is not at all.

Several guildies are playing both. What is interesting to me is that in recent days our guild activity has gone up not down.

Delta_V
04.07.2014 , 11:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Time-out folks. Something to consider besides ESO, is that it is SPRING time and Spring Break time all over the US. Kids and adults alike are taking time to...OMG...enjoy the outdoors and good weather. And it will only get worse because for students final exams are around the corner, and the weather will only get better (I know I broke out my golf clubs yesterday ).

So prepare yourself for a dip in population (especially at non-peak times) probably until August-September.
Yeah, a lot of college students are in their last month of classes before finals, and as we approach the end of the semester, our free time tends to approach zero. Between midterms and end-of-semester projects, I've barely logged in to the game the last two weeks, and as finals approach, I'll have even less time.

Oh, and nature *finally* decided it was time for winter to be over (seriously, I had "spring break" 2 weeks ago, and the high temps were in the 30s) in the past few weeks, and people are going to be taking advantage of the long-overdue warm weather.
Satele Shan - The Shepard Legacy
Sibbel - Sentinel Ethmandel - Commando
Shayar'a - Guardian Nassan'a - Sage
Issmenna - Gunslinger ]Shalla - Sniper

GRINnBARRETT
04.07.2014 , 11:48 AM | #10
I admit I'm playing ESO & I really like it for the most part. There were a ton of bugs during beta, and many of those slipped through to launch so that's why they're seeing extended downtimes during peak hours as they fix things piecemeal. (RIFT still holds the smoothest launch title IMO among MMOs). I've decided to unsub from SWTOR at least until the new stuff hits later this spring/summer.

I'm leaving behind a cool group of friends in our pvp guild, but we can still converse via vent even though I'm not in game with them. TBH I needed something new & taking a break has usually worked in the past for rekindling my enthusiasm for the game I left.

See ya laters.