Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Yoshi-P talks swtor and why Final Fantasy XIV will be sub only.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Yoshi-P talks swtor and why Final Fantasy XIV will be sub only.

lorelthesecond
06.22.2013 , 02:31 AM | #1
http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/fi...lay-exclusive/

Great article there on why sub only mmos are better then free to play games.

lorelthesecond
06.22.2013 , 02:42 AM | #2
This part of the interview really stands out its so true.

"Thatís why you see a lot of companies that chose the subscription model, that wanted to do what we were doing, but were forced to free-to-play. They didnít go to free-to-play by choice, because if that was the case, they would have gone free-to-play at the beginning. Theyíd develop it for free-to-play, not full subscription, instead of being forced to go free-to-play. We hear a lot of people saying, ďStar Wars is free-to-play now, itís great!Ē But then you ask them if theyíre playing free-to-play Star Wars and they say, ďNo, not really playing it.Ē Everyone talks about how great it is that it went free-to-play, but then you ask around and really, there arenít that many people who are playing it since itís gone free-to-play. If you spend all that money on a game ,release it, and itís filled with bugs and you donít have enough time to do your updates, people will leave. Players need that new content. Not being able to provide it is fatal. If they were able to produce as much content as players wanted, then people would have stayed there. We donít really believe itís a problem with the business model. Itís how thatís handled."

TheNahash
06.22.2013 , 02:43 AM | #3
I don't mean to sound like a tool here, because I actually agree with most of the things he says (like the fact that "the larger the scale of the MMO, itís going to be better for the game if itís on a subscription model") and kudos for calling the original release what it really was (a failure) but...

Square Enix developed a game that has been called a "step backward for the genre", it was considered unfinished, if not totally unplayable and one that "has greatly damaged the Final Fantasy brand".

Until they prove that they are actually willing to put a good game in the market instead of just reciting the old "yeah, the subscription model is changing but we truly believe Subs are the way to go" (not unlike Bioware did) I'm going to take everything he says with a grain of salt
Master Kalchas Captain Santť
Darth DŪrge Agent Hťretic

lorelthesecond
06.22.2013 , 02:51 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
I don't mean to sound like a tool here, because I actually agree with most of the things he says (like the fact that "the larger the scale of the MMO, itís going to be better for the game if itís on a subscription model") and kudos for calling the original release what it really was (a failure) but...

Square Enix developed a game that has been called a "step backward for the genre", it was considered unfinished, if not totally unplayable and one that "has greatly damaged the Final Fantasy brand".

Until they prove that they are actually willing to put a good game in the market instead of just reciting the old "yeah, the subscription model is changing but we truly believe Subs are the way to go" (not unlike Bioware did) I'm going to take everything he says with a grain of salt
They have proven it. Everyone in the Final Fantasy Online A Realm Reborn beta says the game is amazing.

JattaGin
06.22.2013 , 02:53 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by lorelthesecond View Post
This part of the interview really stands out its so true.

"(...)If you spend all that money on a game ,release it, and itís filled with bugs and you donít have enough time to do your updates, people will leave. Players need that new content. Not being able to provide it is fatal. If they were able to produce as much content as players wanted, then people would have stayed there. We donít really believe itís a problem with the business model. Itís how thatís handled."
I was going to quote the same paragraph as well. He definitely hits the nail on the head with this one.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Knockerz
06.22.2013 , 02:54 AM | #6
Interesting reading, but we have to wait and see. Personally, I don't think the subscription model is viable given what happen to many subscription base mmorpgs.

Square Enix like Sega has both a North American and Japanese division. Does Square Enix plan to release FF XIV simultaneous as their Japanese release and will we be able to switch between both regions? If FF XIV will go live sooner in Japan will we be able to subscribe without going through hoops like with PSO2 from Sega of Japan?

Unless it's an already established title like Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega of North America has released abysmal games in comparison to Sega of Japan. Take for example pso not being on the same content patch for the North American version and having to go through great extremes to register or buy AC tokens while remaining on Japanese version. Any port from Japanese version made by Sega of North America other than an mmorpg has equally been a disaster. Thus, I hope Square Enix makes a game that is more accessible to the west, is on par the Japanese version. and at least allows us to switch between regions like swtor. In wow they make you buy a new copy if you want to play on the European servers.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

TheNahash
06.22.2013 , 02:55 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by lorelthesecond View Post
They have proven it. Everyone in the Final Fantasy Online A Realm Reborn beta says the game is amazing.
Yeah, Beta Players are not really trustworthy when it comes to judging an MMO.
They are usually fans of the game so they are (to some extent) biased and most of the bugs/problems with the game only become apparent when a lot more people are playing the game.
Time will tell.

Knockerz
06.22.2013 , 02:59 AM | #8
Yeah, Beta Players are not really trustworthy when it comes to judging an MMO.
They are usually fans of the game so they are (to some extent) biased and most of the bugs/problems with the game only become apparent when a lot more people are playing the game.
Time will tell.
I agree. Beta testers aren't very good metric to judge a mmorpg. It's only when the game goes live and people have been playing for a few weeks or months can you judge if the mmo is any good. Besides, almost every beta tester says that.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

TheNahash
06.22.2013 , 03:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
I agree. Beta testers aren't very good metric to judge a mmorpg. It's only when the game goes live and people have been playing for a few weeks or months can you judge if the mmo is any good. Besides, almost every beta tester says that.
Exactly.
Plus, you know...they also did beta test the original FFXIV and look how that turned out.

lorelthesecond
06.22.2013 , 03:11 AM | #10
Exactly.
Plus, you know...they also did beta test the original FFXIV and look how that turned out.
The difference is everyone in the original FFXIV beta said the game was crap unlike now with A Realm Reborn where everyone says the game is great.

Also if you don't believe everyone why don't you try the beta yourself?

https://secure.square-enix.com/enqt/...73fe215ccf8b2e