[NEWB] Why couldn't we dmg the world boss?

When we were in our 20s, my group of three tried to kill (LVL 22) Grandfather in Balmorra, but his health kept resetting, as did his aggro table. He had some buff (can't remember the name) that I Googled and couldn't find any good info on. We then saw a level 50 come in and actually be able to reduce the world boss's health.

1) What was my group doing wrong that his health wouldn't go down?

2) And are world bosses with a level of X meant to be done by a group of level X, or a level 50 group regardless of boss level?

Edited by Qonor

World bosses are generally meant to be taken on by an operation group (probably at least 10-12 players at the level of the boss).

So your group of 3 probably had 1 DPS where the boss is tuned for probably 7-9 DPS. With a health regen mechanic you aren't going to be able to take it down.

When we were in our 20s, my group of three tried to kill (LVL 22) Grandfather in Balmorra, but his health kept resetting, as did his aggro table. He had some buff (can't remember the name) that I Googled and couldn't find any good info on. We then saw a level 50 come in and actually be able to reduce the world boss's health.

2) And are world bosses with a level of X meant to be done by a group of level X, or a level 50 group regardless of boss level?

You need a large amount of players to defeat a world boss at same level. When we killed Grandfather it was with 15 players. If you don't kill them in a certain time, they will enrage and deal extra damage. Obviously, if you have higher level players help, it is much easier. World bosses will reset if you move them too far away from where they start.

Been a while since my guild him, but I think Grandfather has a HoT he applies every so often. If your operations group doesn't have strong dps, he can out heal the damage you do. I can't remember if the HoT had a cast time or not as we killed him in the Early Access period. I think we had tanks taunting back and forth from an aggro dump move the boss does.

Any character of any level can attack a world boss. Obviously if you're at or above the boss' level, you'll be able to harm it better.