Where did you Buy Your last PC online?

akdonkey

I'm ready for a new pc. I have built two in the past. So I'm NOT looking to do that again. I know its some what easy but, I'm 46 and don't want to full around with the hassle of it all again. I have bought a few from a local pc builder but He is not longer around. So my question where did you get your last pc? Did you have any issues getting one Mail order? This pc is 8 years old. I bought it from Best Buys clearance table. It was a custom job that had all the good system stats that more than met my needs. How ever due to Them saying I have a legit copy of Windows that I did not have and all the bloat and spyware I had to forcibly remove I will never buy a pc from them again. Just an FYI I'm in the United States Edited by akdonkey

I'm ready for a new pc. I have built two in the past. So I'm NOT looking to do that again. I know its some what easy but, I'm 46 and don't want to full around with the hassle of it all again. I have bought a few from a local pc builder but He is not longer around. So my question where did you get your last pc? Did you have any issues getting one Mail order? This pc is 8 years old. I bought it from Best Buys clearance table. It was a custom job that had all the good system stats that more than met my needs. How ever due to Them saying I have a legit copy of Windows that I did not have and all the bloat and spyware I had to forcibly remove I will never buy a pc from them again.

Be careful about broadcasting this sort of question to the *entire*world*. Many of the answers you could get (example: mine(1)) will be, er, less than totally useful.

It's probably a really good idea to tell us which country you're in.

(1) http://www.prenium-pc.com but I don't think they'll deliver outside France. Good vendor though.

I bought a premade PC from Cyberpower 7-8 years ago, and up until recently was what I was still using. I bought a new PC from them, and so far it's been great.

Here's my recommendation though.

Consider a local PC store in your city... I think you might find them cheaper, or at least compare what you'd pay to a premade PC dealer to the local shop. The reason a local shop could prove to be better also is if a part is defective, it's going to be a huge headache getting the part replaced with shipping etc. If you have a local shop put the PC together for you, it will be easier to take the PC back to the place and have the repair done.

When you get the PC made and it's shipped from out of state, consider the fact UPS and other shipping services tend to be hard on the boxes. I even paid extra for Cyberpower to foam the inside of the PC just to try to be sure it arrived in one piece.

Once it arrived, I had to remove the foam, and install one fan and check wires etc. All was fine.

That being said, I am surprised. I watched the UPS guy bring the box to my door step, and as he got near the door he started flipping it as if it was just a box of clothing or something.

So yeah. Shipping services will treat the box like crap as it's in transit.

Edited by Lhancelot

• 4 weeks later...

Costco has decent selection. Can't beat their warranty and return policy.

If not a member you may pay a surcharge, which might be more than getting a membership for the year.

https://www.costco.com/desktops-servers.html?computer-type=gaming-desktop&refine=ads_f34501_ntk_cs%253A%2522Gaming%2BDesktop%2522|

Me I still shop and put together parts myself. Bought one PC from Staples once - it was a fail. Details sounded good but it was not so great in the end.

Edited by LeMage

Didn't.

Bought the parts to make a PC from pcpartpicker.com via TigerDirect, then schlepped all the pieces over to TigerDirect and had them put it together (you don't want these fat fingers anywhere near chip pinouts). If I can afford to do it in the future I'd do it again. Pre-built computers are always a compromise somewhere, and if a pre-built machine has everything, you paid too much for it.

I've not replied here earlier because I'm from Europe and always build my PCs, but...

Bought the parts to make a PC from pcpartpicker.com via TigerDirect, then schlepped all the pieces over to TigerDirect and had them put it together.

I am not familiar with these companies, but if the conditions are good, that seems like a much better idea to me than getting a pre-built computer, because...

Pre-built computers are always a compromise somewhere, and if a pre-built machine has everything, you paid too much for it.

This. So much this.

Edited by cyrusramsey

I've not replied here earlier because I'm from Europe and always build my PCs, but...

I am not familiar with these companies, but if the conditions are good, that seems like a much better idea to me than getting a pre-built computer, because...

This. So much this.

pcpartpicker.com is nice because it prevents you from mixing and matching incompatible hardware

Newegg.com. I purchased a gaming grade laptop from there

That site used to have the best filters for sorting by component(s) but pcpartpicker has almost completely replaced it

CyberpowerPC

iBuyPower

are budget PC prebuilder oldies that used to advertise on Computer Gaming World magazine and are still around today. I've never owned one but their ads spread across pages in those magazines have infected my mind to this day.

Want me to scan a round of Ultimate Gaming Rig roundup from the early 2000s ?

Edited by Falensawino

Ahh Thanks Yeah, I'm in the United States. it also does not seem I'm going to get much response.

If you are a Costco member, you can buy from a fairly good selection online, and have it delivered, or you can have it shipped to your local store and pick it up. Doing so comes with some good warranty perks.... as Costco adds a year to the warranty, and if you use your Citi-Costco Credit card.. that adds two more years to the warranty.

I believe Costco will sell to non-members, but I don't know if the warranty perks apply for non-members.

Other then that... I would recommend checking Amazon (if it is a PC actually sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party seller). Why? Because they have one of the most generous and forgiving return policies on the planet for online sales. Depending on the state you live in, that may also bypass sales tax (depends on what Amazons status is with your state on sales tax collections).

Another recommendation would be Newegg.

You can buy direct from some of the PC customization houses online, but I honestly do not know how good they really are, and they certainly do not provide much in the way of power vs pricing compared to the recommendations above.

Lastly, you could buy direct from the PC manufacturer as well. In this regard, Lenvovo is great, as is ASUS, Dell and Hp... but this of course restricts you to their brand and configurations... but they are in the business of doing direct sales, including custom configurations, online.

Edited by Andryah

Newegg and TigerDirect are fantastic. Or just buy AlienWare and enjoy a great system for a few years.

If you're looking for a gaming laptop, I cannot recommend MSi enough. They are the best.

Alienware is too overpriced nowadays. That is why I like IBuyPower. They are the original alienware , guys. You can get a comparable rig for like half the price.