Space Lasers vs Color Crystals

Phunkmonkee

The reason is - because it's (stereo)typically been like that in the movies. Rebel ship shot red, Empire ship shot green lasers (even the Death Star shot green). The prequel movies did not adhere to this theme and took much more liberties in color choice regarding blaster guns and spaceship weapons.

That said - I would love a color crystal slot on my ship to adjust the color of its lasers!

If you take a look at the lore you'll find out there is a reason Sith are associated with red lightsabers. I won't go into exact names or eras as I don't recall them out of the top of my head.

In the past when the first dark Jedi (the kind you are concerned with on Tython in TOR) began to broke off from the order they found themselves without access to the natural force crystal caves, which yield blue, green and yellow crystals. Their solution to the problem was manufacturing their own lightsaber crystals. These synthetic crystals served just as well, the only difference is they couldn't make any other color than red. Hence, the red lightsabers.

Here's a vague quote from Wookiepedia regarding the topic:

"While the Jedi used natural crystals, the Sith often used red-hued synthetic crystals. Sith-made synthetic crystals create a slightly more powerful blade when energized by the dark side of the Force, occasionally demonstrating the ability to "break" Jedi lightsaber blades, disrupting the energy circuit and shorting out the weapon, as almost happened to Obi-Wan Kenobi while fighting Darth Vader on the first Death Star."

As for the blaster shot colors I imagine there is a similar reason, perhaps the Empire manufactures their ammunition from materials that make its shots green, whereas the Republic holds planets that yield red ammunition.

Or there could be some sort of warfare code of conduct that forces the warring factions to use different energy cell colors.

Edit: added wookiepedia quote

Edited by Zyrachiel

Generally speaking; Red lightsabers are associated with the Dark Side. Green and Blue represent the Light Side.

Yet in space, all the bad dudes are shooting green lasers at my face and I return fire with Red lasers....

Why is this?

Go watch Star Wars Episode IV. :)

I think it might be for visual reasons (like green is easier to see) because even in everything else non space combat there are multiple times Ive seen Imperial ships shooting red shots, so I dont know why it changed for space combat.

ive played both republic and Imps.. and no matter wich side you play on Imps = Green and Rep = Red... i think they might have done a mixup in the code.. some tired dude mixing up Rep with Imp a late night when the coffe was out and then it has just been overlooked.

ive played both republic and Imps.. and no matter wich side you play on Imps = Green and Rep = Red... i think they might have done a mixup in the code.. some tired dude mixing up Rep with Imp a late night when the coffe was out and then it has just been overlooked.

Watch. The. Films.

It's a very shallow and ignorant view to say that all Imperials are evil while all the Republic are nice and good. The fact is that both sides have their share of good and bad people serving. Just look at WWII, we tend to look at the Nazis as being evil, and while there were some of the most evil people in history serving with them, the majority of the German people were just normal people fighting for their country.

Also this topic reminds me of why I think the restrictions on colour crystals is stupid, especially for the non-force classes who when given a choice would simply pick whichever colour they liked the most and wouldn't care about traditional jedi and sith lightsaber colours.

These synthetic crystals served just as well, the only difference is they couldn't make any other color than red. Hence, the red lightsabers.

Incorrect. The can easily be made in other colors (for example, Luke's green saber uses a synthetic crystal). However, if steps to create a certain color were not taken, they tended to naturally have a red coloration. It was laziness rather than inability that caused the rash of red sabers.

The core issue is that the current alignment restrictions on the crystals only makes sense for Force users and only in the case of blue do they make sense for Tech users.

Dark sided Tech users should be restricted from using Blue and Red crystals and Light sided Tech users should be restricted from using Green crystals.

Edited by Mapex

Generally speaking; Red lightsabers are associated with the Dark Side. Green and Blue represent the Light Side.

Yet in space, all the bad dudes are shooting green lasers at my face and I return fire with Red lasers....

Why is this?

Not for blasters, just for light sabers. Han Solo had a blaster that fired red. Tie Fighters green (there is lore behind that). Etc.

Btw, regarding lightsaber crystals. GL at one point said there are no 'colored crystals' - when you create your lightsaber, it manifests itself. A person that uses the dark side would end up with red (anger, hatred) and everyone else would end up with blue (loyalty, calm) or green (I can't remember what he said here...)

That got changed later on after he started working on Empire - but pre-EU; that was the case...

Edited by Sabster

• 1 year later...

If you think of lasers as what they are, the green spectrum is much more powerful than the red spectrum. Now think about the resources available, the Empire is a sprawling autocracy with massive resources available, versus the Republics lack of resources and necessary hand-me-down equipment. The empire is likely using more powerful equipment. Also, could just be that depending upon manufacturer, planet of origin, etc. different components are used.

As far as lightsabers go, I believe it's been explained.

For the empire! :hope_01:

The core issue is that the current alignment restrictions on the crystals only makes sense for Force users and only in the case of blue do they make sense for Tech users.

Dark sided Tech users should be restricted from using Blue and Red crystals and Light sided Tech users should be restricted from using Green crystals.

clone troops had blue blaster bolts and probally a few other characters with blasters so blue does make sense for tech users and Dark side troops mainly uses red blaster bolts imo color doesn't matter when it comes down to the weapon for tech users but i will agree on the ships dark side should be green and light should be red

Edited by Zaxem

Btw, regarding lightsaber crystals. GL at one point said there are no 'colored crystals' - when you create your lightsaber, it manifests itself. A person that uses the dark side would end up with red (anger, hatred) and everyone else would end up with blue (loyalty, calm) or green (I can't remember what he said here...)

That got changed later on after he started working on Empire - but pre-EU; that was the case...

That's pretty much what he established in Clone Wars too.

Personally I prefer the old EU explanation.

...Why? None of this makes sense to me...

Blaster shots from blasters/ships and color crystals in sabers have nothing in common in lore, other then color. Infact, not all blasters used crystals as their medium, some used liquid or gas(mostly gas was used) to create the color you see. Edited by Wolfninjajedi