Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

emp pulse?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

vladunk
04.01.2014 , 01:48 PM | #1
Is it true that when you activate this near mines it actually detonates the mines instead of disabling them? If so that can't be intended...can it?

Nemarus
04.01.2014 , 02:04 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by vladunk View Post
Is it true that when you activate this near mines it actually detonates the mines instead of disabling them? If so that can't be intended...can it?
Destroys mines, disables drones (and turrets). This is intended and was stated in the patch notes way back when.

But honestly, EMP Field only shuts down System mines, not Secondary Weapon mines. And Secondary Mines can be dropped every 15 seconds (seekers) or 20 seconds (seismic).
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Zoom_VI
04.01.2014 , 03:04 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Destroys mines, disables drones (and turrets). This is intended and was stated in the patch notes way back when.

But honestly, EMP Field only shuts down System mines, not Secondary Weapon mines. And Secondary Mines can be dropped every 15 seconds (seekers) or 20 seconds (seismic).
Except in GSF "destroy mine" means "mine explodes in your face."
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Altheran
04.01.2014 , 04:00 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Except in GSF "destroy mine" means "mine explodes in your face."
Yeah, and that's particularly annoying to know that you could blast one of your mates by trying to clear the area.

I never see it occur, but that doesn't mean I could not have been blasted myself because one of my wingmen shot a mine I had avoided and did not realize it.

ChrisSchmidt
04.01.2014 , 05:04 PM | #5 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by vladunk View Post
Good news! EMP Pulse specifically disarms before it detonates mines. So you will still see the explosion visually, but should not receive any damage. Unless of course you got a bit too close before activating the pulse, giving a nearby seeker mine time to activate. I'm quite good at replicating that particular scenario.

Bolo_Yeung
04.02.2014 , 01:06 AM | #6
This is fail.,..

EMP range - 3500m
Mine explosion range - 2500m.

You have to carefully time your EMP use. Well, when you will get in position you will be dead anyway... Type1 Scouts aren't known for their durability.
Or just forget about mines - EMP pulse is way better useful in dogfight (remember, that up to 2 allies within range will get a free lock breaker).

PS. Consider teamkilling with EMP missiles / area effect ions....

SpacerSebben
04.02.2014 , 02:09 AM | #7
At the Tier 4 upgrade, you can choose to either increase your EMP explosion radius by 500m, OR choose Missile Lock Immunity which will actually stop mines (and missiles) as they are coming at you and make them vanish mid-flight. You can boost right into a bomber's nest and as soon as you hear the bleep of the lock-on you can hit EMP and be clear.

Altheran
04.02.2014 , 02:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bolo_Yeung View Post
PS. Consider teamkilling with EMP missiles / area effect ions....
Detection radius : 1500m
Explosion radius : 2000m/3000m

It's not impossible to be caught in a blast triggered by someone else.

Armonddd
04.02.2014 , 06:52 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SpacerSebben View Post
At the Tier 4 upgrade, you can choose to either increase your EMP explosion radius by 500m, OR choose Missile Lock Immunity which will actually stop mines (and missiles) as they are coming at you and make them vanish mid-flight. You can boost right into a bomber's nest and as soon as you hear the bleep of the lock-on you can hit EMP and be clear.
You realize that there's a lot of mines that don't give you that warning, right?

And that seekers have enormous detection radius -- bigger than an upgraded EMP field -- so you won't hit any other mines if you try that.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Urglab
04.02.2014 , 07:11 AM | #10
I'm pretty sure the dev said in the Q&A that EMP pulse/missile first disables the mines and then destroys them, so they shouldn't be doing any collateral damage to you or your wingmen. Got some errands to run though so no time to look up the timestamp of when he talked about it.