When is the next name purge?

RaithHarth

It's just a suggestion, if you want to extend the length by 14 days or even by a month at the max, I think that would be exceptable.

A month isn't that long either. I retired from the army a year ago this May, but I can tell you that I've been unable to get near a computer for a month or longer at some points in my career....and I'm not talking deployments that certainly last longer than that.

There are plenty of reasons why a month wouldn't be good for everyone NOT in the service. I don't actually think there should be some time constraint on names being reset but if they asked me to set one it'd be 2 years at least.

Seriously, did you actually think about that time limit or did you just figure its longer than ten days? Because that would be a disaster for a lot of people.

...and it would be pointless. Theres no reason to have names reset on any characters at all. Not even as a matter of principle that again, needs elaboration. I don't see what principle needs to be upheld here.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much what it seems like.

Sit on the "best" names and then sell them to other players.

I'm having a hard time thinking the OP is serious anymore. None of the logic in the argument makes any sense and he hasn't elaborated on any point that's been contested.

Add to that the time frame suggestion...well, lets be honest...would only benefit him, and what he wants. So I'm doubting he can be serious. I could be wrong, but again, theres no elaboration. Just meaningless terms likes "matter of principle". What principle?

I'm having a hard time thinking the OP is serious anymore. None of the logic in the argument makes any sense and he hasn't elaborated on any point that's been contested.

Add to that the time frame suggestion...well, lets be honest...would only benefit him, and what he wants. So I'm doubting he can be serious. I could be wrong, but again, theres no elaboration. Just meaningless terms likes "matter of principle". What principle?

Oh my god, you haven't been in that house for ten days! I want to live there, give it to me!

Since someone pointed out that the name you covet is protected by virtue of being over level 30, even if not held by a subscriber, now you want any name under level 50 to be subject to being stolen? And you want any name under level 50 subject to being stolen even if that player subscribes?

You really want to set the rules so that you can steal that name you want, don't you?

What happens if that player logs in every day to send companions on missions but doesn't level? Are you going to say that any player that doesn't level within x amount of time should be subject having their name stolen?

I'm not setting any rules so I can take a name for myself, it's not about stealing a name that's not the case at all, All I'm just suggesting is some ideas where it's fair for everyone, if a username under lvl 50 isn't being used for a month (even as a subscriber) I think it's pretty fair to reset it especially when that name is barely untouchable and not put into it's full potential.

You're starting to sound pretty defensive on this subject are you one of those guys that plays on destination server A and completely ignores those very same names on server B or C with names that aren't put to good use? that's such a shame.

I'm not setting any rules so I can take a name for myself, it's not about stealing a name that's not the case at all, All I'm just suggesting is some ideas where it's fair for everyone, if a username under lvl 50 isn't being used for a month (even as a subscriber) I think it's pretty fair to reset it especially when that name is barely untouchable and not put into it's full potential.

How is this fair? Explain your logic.

You're starting to sound pretty defensive on this subject are you one of those guys that plays on destination server A and completely ignores those very same names on server B or C with names that aren't put to good use? that's such a shame.

You were extremely defensive with me earlier, despite the fact that I have not once stated a disagreement with your conclusions, only your method of debate, and have asked for a presentation of logic.

Pot meet kettle.

Could it be that you don't have logical reasoning to support your desire? And have to resort to personal attacks?

Edited by Khevar

Exactly how is that fair for everyone? It sounds like a terrible idea for several reasons. No one is going to want to feel like they have to play and level fast or their name can be taken. Whats the full potential? I'll tell you...nothing. Its a game. The potential for any character is just what the player wants it to be, period. If the character is only used as a crafting/gathering mule for the player than that's what the potential is....and that's no reason for the reset. Unless you can elaborate on how that idea is fair to everyone.

Actually, you're sounding defensive, man. Again, if he has characters on every single server with the same name its not unfair, unjust or holding them hostage. Those rules apply to you, me and everyone else. You might not like it but that's really just your opinion. I don't particularly like characters with stupid names but as long as its not an offensive name its just my opinion....and I admit I don't have the right to say "Any name that doesn't fit my criteria should be reset in ten days!". You keep using terms that make no sense. Whats 'put to good use' in reference to the name of an avatar in a computer game? There are literally more potential names one can make up for a character than the game will ever ever use.

1.) You can make characters on multiple servers with the same character name

2.) You are currently not required to level that character or play it any time limit. That probably will not change unless there is another server merge.

3.) If the character is above level 30 the name change will not affect it.

I don't see anything wrong with those rules. If you do you'll have to elaborate on why without using words like "unjust', 'unfair' 'greedy' or 'holding hostage'. Because they don't apply.

Edited by wilsonstone

I never said I had the right to the name did I? I said it's not right for a subscriber to play on their destination server while making copies of that same name on multiple servers, while they sit around collecting dust and not put to good use.

its not right that you have 2 cars sitting around gathering dust while using another. ill just put these 2 to good use. it isnt stealing....

Your suggestions would only be fair to you. I recently took a break for a month. At the time I had no level 50s. So I should lose the names that I thought up/chose? What rubbish.

Is your man cave where you hoard all those names on your level 31 alts? :p

Naw, its where I hoard all of my comic books and sci-fi memorabilia as well as my sword collection! Sadly a lot of my things were destroyed when a tornado tore the house apart in 2011. (you may have seen it on the news. I live in Fayetteville, NC nxt to Ft. Bragg. The one time in a century when a tornado hits here, it hits MY house directly!)

Fortunatelly some of my things were salvaged from the wreckage. Including my "Lost in Space" Robot that says "Danger!@ Danger!" if you touch it....oh, and my Ultraman figurine. The guys at Fort Campbell gave that to me when I left there after Desert Storm so it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I only keep 14 alts...;)

Naw, its where I hoard all of my comic books and sci-fi memorabilia as well as my sword collection! Sadly a lot of my things were destroyed when a tornado tore the house apart in 2011. (you may have seen it on the news. I live in Fayetteville, NC nxt to Ft. Bragg. The one time in a century when a tornado hits here, it hits MY house directly!)

Fortunatelly some of my things were salvaged from the wreckage. Including my "Lost in Space" Robot that says "Danger!@ Danger!" if you touch it....oh, and my Ultraman figurine. The guys at Fort Campbell gave that to me when I left there after Desert Storm so it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I only keep 14 alts...;)

I'm sorry you went through that. I'm in the UK but I remember that tornado being mentioned on the news over here. I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Your suggestions would only be fair to you. I recently took a break for a month. At the time I had no level 50s. So I should lose the names that I thought up/chose? What rubbish.

I've been thinking about switching up for awhile...you know, try another game for a bit, come back later to SWTOR. I do that every so often to keep from burning out on one game or the other. I usually check in game B even when playing Game A , but time can go by fast. By the criteria mentioned I'd have any character under 50 lose their names if I did that. That's why I don't think the OP thought this through. I can only speak for myself but I don't think I'm the only person that does that.

I'm sorry you went through that. I'm in the UK but I remember that tornado being mentioned on the news over here. I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Lol...in your post that I quoted when you wrote "What rubbish" I thought "He(or she, I don't know your gender) must be a brit.".

Yeah, thee tornado sucked, but the reason I can't be sad about it is this...we were in the house! We literally saw it blown apart while we hunkered down under a desk....and me the wife and our 4 cats all survived. One of them was lost for a few hours...we thought she had been scooped up and blown away...but we found her unharmed under some debris. The entire place was destroyed, including both cars. But heck, we lived, and even the rescue workers said we should have all been killed. Really made me think Heavan may be looking out for us....and our insurance allowed us to replace everything and get a newer house rebuilt on the same lot.

I've always wanted to visit the UK. Been to a lot of places in Europe but never made it there. Being a big fan of old school British comedy and TV shows (I was hooked on "Eastenders" for a long time in the 90s and Red Dwarf) its been on my bucket list. Plus I've always wanted to see the Tower of London and Stonehenge. I've got a few NATO former coworkers and an old girlfriend I keep in touch with there. I should probably ask if one of them can put me up for a bit. ;)

I've been thinking about switching up for awhile...you know, try another game for a bit, come back later to SWTOR. I do that every so often to keep from burning out on one game or the other. I usually check in game B even when playing Game A , but time can go by fast. By the criteria mentioned I'd have any character under 50 lose their names if I did that. That's why I don't think the OP thought this through. I can only speak for myself but I don't think I'm the only person that does that.

Lol...in your post that I quoted when you wrote "What rubbish" I thought "He(or she, I don't know your gender) must be a brit.".

Yeah, thee tornado sucked, but the reason I can't be sad about it is this...we were in the house! We literally saw it blown apart while we hunkered down under a desk....and me the wife and our 4 cats all survived. One of them was lost for a few hours...we thought she had been scooped up and blown away...but we found her unharmed under some debris. The entire place was destroyed, including both cars. But heck, we lived, and even the rescue workers said we should have all been killed. Really made me think Heavan may be looking out for us....and our insurance allowed us to replace everything and get a newer house rebuilt on the same lot.

I've always wanted to visit the UK. Been to a lot of places in Europe but never made it there. Being a big fan of old school British comedy and TV shows (I was hooked on "Eastenders" for a long time in the 90s and Red Dwarf) its been on my bucket list. Plus I've always wanted to see the Tower of London and Stonehenge. I've got a few NATO former coworkers and an old girlfriend I keep in touch with there. I should probably ask if one of them can put me up for a bit. ;)

Glad you were all ok.

I'm a she. You know, I've never visited any of those sites either. They're on my list too. I haven't actually seen a lot of my own country. I also love Red Dwarf. Me and my best friends in school all bonded over that, The Young Ones and Bottom. :D

Yet taking a name that someone never really uses is alright? Sure they may be a subscriber, but holding a name hostage on another server while they play on their destination server is not right either.

As has been pointed out, they aren't holding it hostage. The bad news for you is, no matter how much you try to play the victim in this fairy tale, the character in question is over lvl 30, which means that, no matter how much you want them to, they won't rename it. The person in question took the time to level above lvl 30, and there isn't a tier in the game where a character above level 30 need worry about randomly losing their name. It doesn't matter how much you try to play the victim, the true victim is the person who got the name, leveled the character and now is being told by you that they have no right to keep it.

But I did think it through, that's how ideas are formed together, you put one piece of the puzzle together to make another, but I guess this is the wrong forum anyways? This is where most of the trolls come together and target one particular individual for daring to make a suggestion, you are just too ignorant to listen to those ideals.

Glad you were all ok.

Thanks....Patches...one of the cats, in fact the one that we thought we had lost. (and theres a longer lost story with her, after we found her, but its for another time) still has issues when theres a storm or thunder, or even heavy rain. She'll hide in a cupboard and can't be consoled. Poor thing. But the wife did find two newborn kittens in the rubble and yep, we have them even now.

I'm a she. You know, I've never visited any of those sites either. They're on my list too. I haven't actually seen a lot of my own country. I also love Red Dwarf. Me and my best friends in school all bonded over that, The Young Ones and Bottom. :D

Don't feel bad....I've never been to the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore or Mardi Gras. I've seen more sites in other countries than I have in my own.

Edited by wilsonstone

But I did think it through, that's how ideas are formed together, you put one piece of the puzzle together to make another, but I guess this is the wrong forum anyways? This is where most of the trolls come together and target one particular individual for daring to make a suggestion, you are just too ignorant to listen to those ideals.

You said that people who haven't played for ten days deserve to lose all their character names.

That's not making a legitimate suggestion, that's trolling. Or straight up being an idiot.

It's not fair for anyone except you, in this scenario, since you want to steal a name that's protected by the purge rules.

Scenario: You get your way, and they purge names every ten days. You get your name, and the next day, the HDD goes out on your PC. It takes you 2 weeks to get it fixed. Now, is it not going to be fair that you got your names reset, and someone took them because you hadn't logged in for 10 days? Are you then going to be here complaining that that system is unfair because you were unable to log in through no fault of your own?

Based on your post history in this thread, I'll provide the answer to that question: Yes, you will. What makes me think that? The fact that you are already here playing the victim because somebody else is using a name you want to use. Based on your every 10 days scenario, about half the characters on my account would be renamed every 10 days, because frankly, with 13 alts on one server alone, I don't get back to every one every 10 days, and a lot of them aren't level 50, yet. That doesn't include characters that I haven't logged into on other servers because I got busy on my "home" server.

They have the criteria set up, and what they have seems more than fair to me, since I believe they should never do it, at least the way they do it, the majority of characters I have on my main server will be safe. My Op wouldn't be, but I never play it, and I'd delete it if it weren't my 450 armstech guy. Just for clarity's sake here as well, any point of view in a discussion is an argument. Whether they agree or disagree with each other. It's not trolling to say "your argument falls flat because..." It is simply discussing an idea. You can continue to play the victim here if you like, but that doesn't change the fact that your whole intent with this thread is to steal a name from somebody else.

I support this claim with this: The topic title states you want a name purge, believing that you'll be able to get the name after it's done. When you find out that because the character in question is high enough level that it wouldn't be affected by the purge, you come up with the proposal in the quoted passage above. This leads me to believe that all you want is to steal the name, and frankly, the guidelines in existence for purging names prevents it, so you now believe they aren't fair (to you, since they wouldn't allow you to get the name you want) and should be changed to allow you to get the name you want.

Accusing others of being trolls isn't helping your case either.

I've seen threads fall apart due to trolling. This is not one them. It has a high percentage of posts that are calm and rational, but also happen to disagree with you.

If you cannot present your case better, you cannot expect your ideas to gain traction.

Okaaayyyy...here we go....

I may have questioned your motives, intent and suggestions, but I did not once call you ignorant or insult you. You show your true colors when you call me ignorant in that fashion. (which I find kind of laughable considering in this thread alone you could discern my background.....retired army veteran, NATO positions, etc. Now none of that means I'm the smartest dude on the block. I'm not. But I'm far from ignorant.) You know, put those pieces together.

Accusing others of trolling you and being ignorant is sign that you either cannot take it when people disagree with you or that you fit that description yourself. Its fine if you make a suggestion...but your original post was this

I noticed there is still some names out there that aren't in use anymore, either they dropped their subs completely or they are playing on another server while still maintaining that name on another but aren't currently using it which is just silly.

That's not a suggestion, its an opinion. One that was discussed and flaws pointed out in it. I myself asked you

I'm curious, how do you know they aren't playing? If they've switched to another server I don't think they should lose their names. They might plan on coming back in the future. I know I'd be a little ticked off if I started on another server, then came back only to find my name had been taken....

Then you said it was because you have them on your friends list. When others commented that you really can't tell the player's status from that you began backtracking and flip flopping over things boiling down to this:

It's not a matter of stealing the name, it's a matter of principal, if you are under lvl 50 and haven't played that toon for the past 10 days the name should be reset, this should also apply for even subscribers, once you hit lvl 50 however, all subscribers should be protected in the same right.

and this

It's just a suggestion, if you want to extend the length by 14 days or even by a month at the max, I think that would be exceptable.

Which no one thought was a good idea. So now you're calling people 'ignorant' and 'trolls' because they don't agree with you. At no time did you tell us why this is "a matter of principle', 'unjust' or any of the other buzzwords you've used....and we've asked you a few times to elaborate on your position. How is it unjust or unfair?

Using your own terminology of putting the pieces together it looks like you'd like these rules because then you could have a name you covet that belongs to another player. You know what it seems to look like.....that you're the one being selfish, greedy and unfair. That's how those pieces look to me, at least.

You can refute that, and maybe even make a viable case...if you'd care to elaborate on your position. That is instead of playing victim and calling others names.

...and before you say everyone is ganging up on you.....well, it may seem that way, but that's always how it looks when you begin insulting a group of people that don't agree with your 'suggestions'. Especially when you fail to back any of them up with any kind off logic.

the only "fair" solution op is you finding the owner of that character and offering them a free character rename with a credit tip. and then accepting it if they refuse your offer and/or aren't there to listen to it.

you wanting a specific name doesn't mean its fair for someone else to lose that name just becasue they don't play that character the way YOU think they should play it in order to keep that name. you creating downright draconian requirements for people to keep their names is NOT thought through, becasue it creates an environment of uncertainty and pressure to log into characters whether you feel like playing them at any given time or not. - and this is the environment that pushes people away from the game, reducing subscription base.

current name rules are fine. you are the one who needs to adopt. I understand the names are a big deal. it was part of the reason I pre-ordered after all. to get the names I wanted. I also lost couple of those names during server merges. had to modify them. one of the characters who had her name modified is my current main, character I play daily. oh well. it happens. I mean... I've lost names I wanted even when I would preorder a game (GW2 - literally, earliest access and someone grabbed one of the names I wanted in that first hour. /sigh... it happens). you move on. you adjust. you stop acting like a victim. you deal with what you've got.

the only "fair" solution op is you finding the owner of that character and offering them a free character rename with a credit tip. and then accepting it if they refuse your offer and/or aren't there to listen to it.

I had thought of suggesting that, but then the OP decided to insult me and go full auto on the victim card, so I figured "let him figure that out fir himself.".

Its only a fictional name for a game avatar. I can't believe anyone is so invested in it that they'd suggest some of his ideas.

Especially when they're so self serving and obvious.