Abandoning a Discipline and unlearning a crew skill

AndasKastor

Hello,

I've been playing again off and on for a couple of months and I have a couple of questions.

1. I decided I would like to switch a crew skill. It says that I have to unlearn a current crew skill to pick up the one I want. How do I unlearn a crew skill? I couldn't find a vendor or anything on the fleet that would let me do that.

2. I decided that I would change disciplines on my Jedi Guardian (from DPS to tank). It says that I have to see my trainer. However when I see the trainer (on fleet) it still does not let me abandon my current discipline.

Can someone tell me how to do these things - or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

1. In your Crew Skills window (from drop down, or press "B"), click on the "x" at the right of the crew skill to un-learn it.

2. On the Fleet, in the Combat Training section (south-west quadrant) there is an NPC - Leuro-Khian, Skill Mentor.

Edited by JediQuaker

1. In the crew skill window (shortcut B), there should be a small x on the skill somewhere. Click to delete it.

2. This is a special vendor, found on fleet (I think) and the capital world. On Coruscant, you'll find him on the lower level between the market areas under the Senate Tower, behind the GTN terminal. Note that it costs credits, not sure how much.

A couple things of note:

1) If you abandon a crew skill, you will permanently lose all progress in that skill. Your skill level, all schematics you have learned, everything will be gone. Unlike some other games, you cannot go back later and "relearn" the skill and resume from whatever level it was before. If you decide to pick it back up later, you will have to start from zero and relearn everything all over again. Depending on how much progress you've made in the skill you want to drop, it might be better to learn the new skill on an alt.

2) In addition to the one on Fleet, there is also a Skill Mentor NPC on each faction's capital world. On Coruscant, the Skill Mentor is under the Senate plaza, in the center section, back behind the GTN kiosks (X: -1148, Y: -4581). On Dromund Kaas, the Skill Mentor is in the Kaas City market area, near the Modifications vendors (X: -15, Y: 178). If you think you will be swapping disciplines frequently, consider getting the Legacy unlock "Field Respecialization", so you don't have to go back to the Skill Mentor every time you want to change. This is a per character unlock, and costs 350 Cartel Coins, or 200k credits. (Unlocking with credits also requires character level 10 and Legacy level 5).

Edited by Adric_the_Red

I meant to mention that the tooltip does say "see your trainer", but the Skill Mentor is neither a trainer nor a vendor and doesn't even show on the map.

Yes, that is what confused me about the discipline change. I did find the person on fleet. This was a republic character and he was on the far left room in the combat trainer area. Note that he does not show up on the mini map.

A couple things of note:

1) If you abandon a crew skill, you will permanently lose all progress in that skill. Your skill level, all schematics you have learned, everything will be gone. Unlike some other games, you cannot go back later and "relearn" the skill and resume from whatever level it was before. If you decide to pick it back up later, you will have to start from zero and relearn everything all over again. Depending on how much progress you've made in the skill you want to drop, it might be better to learn the new skill on an alt.

2) In addition to the one on Fleet, there is also a Skill Mentor NPC on each faction's capital world. On Coruscant, the Skill Mentor is under the Senate plaza, in the center section, back behind the GTN kiosks (X: -1148, Y: -4581). On Dromund Kaas, the Skill Mentor is in the Kaas City market area, near the Modifications vendors (X: -15, Y: 178). If you think you will be swapping disciplines frequently, consider getting the Legacy unlock "Field Respecialization", so you don't have to go back to the Skill Mentor every time you want to change. This is a per character unlock, and costs 350 Cartel Coins, or 200k credits. (Unlocking with credits also requires character level 10 and Legacy level 5).

Thank you. I knew that the crew skill was a permanent loss (reset). I don't anticipate a lot of respecs. I am plugging this character into my static group. My wife has a healer and I am going from DPS to tank so that we can work our way through flashpoints on harder settings.