Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Antiquated Forum

Elessara
10.10.2019 , 06:56 PM | #11
Having been on forums that have the ability to upvote or have rankings ... being able to upvote something doesn't necessarily mean that the post/topic that's being upvoted is "worthwhile". It's entirely subjective what one finds worthwhile or not. Someone with a high forum ranking doesn't necessarily mean they're trustworthy. They'd also have to remove the ability to downvote because trolls would downvote a post/topic just to troll.

I'm not actually against a change in the forums but I also don't see that it's particularly necessary.

Estelindis
10.10.2019 , 07:30 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Diefexor View Post
It would be nice if i could upvote your post. Others probably would also. This would make it easy for people to see which ideas or information are worthwhile.
I mean, there is a SWTOR subreddit, with precisely that mechanic. I get where you are coming from, but not every platform needs to be the same. That way, choice between them is meaningful.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

xordevoreaux
10.10.2019 , 07:34 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
I'm not actually against a change in the forums but I also don't see that it's particularly necessary.
Of like mind. I've only been here since July of 2013, but i don't recall in that time any great changes to the forum, except maybe the addition of the extra smilies, and in all that time, I somehow never felt I was somehow laboring under a deficient means to express my ideas here.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

MorseGod
10.10.2019 , 08:27 PM | #14
OP is basically saying forums should all work like reddit. I find the format over there to be terrible and prefer to follow conversations in their chronological order.

Want reddit? Go to freaking reddit.
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Join us on Discord!
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

MikeCobalt
10.10.2019 , 09:06 PM | #15
I go to the SWTOR Reddit forums sometimes and honestly it's been pretty good there lately. People show off their Merchandise, or Art they've created (Thats alot), or some ask Questions, those usually have a number of replies. Seeing the Rage Fests and Insult Competitions of before just doesn't exists there anymore, not that I've seen atleast.

As for here, I really prefer the format here and at times, Questions are asked and usually they're answered (more so then before). Really no need for the post up & down vote system if somebodies post or thread is disliked for whatever reason there seems it's always possible to simply post why. Alot of the people I used to run with ingame, guildies or traded posts are/were here. I like the SWTOR forums better; it's not perfect, but what is?

SteveTheCynic
10.11.2019 , 12:39 AM | #16
I don't believe in the down vote system because its redundant. Bad ideas simply do not get upvoted.
It's not redundant, because it allows people (er, voters) to distinguish between the good, the bad, and the merely "meh" among posts. There are, however, other reasons to oppose downvote systems, notably the inability to distinguish between "downvoted because the voter didn't like the post" and "downvoted because the voter didn't like the poster" and "downvoted because the voter is a serial downvote-troll".
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

DarthSpuds
10.11.2019 , 03:09 AM | #17
Please update your forums. They are in desperate need of a revamp.

The forums are frustrating to use which is probably why there is such low forum participation.
On another forum I use we have just been forcibly converted to the Tapatalk platform.

These forums are haven of functionality and sanity to use compared to that.

I don't find these forum even remotely frustrating to use.

The way to work out which posts are "valuable" to me is to read them and remember. If you can't / won't do that I doubt a forum revamp is going to help you.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

JattaGin
10.11.2019 , 08:15 AM | #18
I particularly like that this forum is a classic forum. The Swtor Reddit is horrible for me. I refuse to even sign up on Reddit. And the voting option only causes complications and bad feelings. Imagine certain people here being allowed to downvote posts. Better not.

It's not so difficult to find out which forumers are helpful, which are neutral, which are haters, which are whiteknights, which are trolls etc. Especially nowadays with just a handful of active posters left. Which is imho the main reason why nothing much is happening anymore. Reflection of the situation in the game. Small amount of active players, compared to the past. Let's see what 6.0 does about it. Currently I don't have my hopes up.

Regarding the importance of topics: That can also be found out quite easily: Does the topic stay on page 1 and get more than just a handful replies? Then it's relevant. Overall, I prefer to judge and think about things for myself. I don't need a computer system to tell me what thread is good and what poster is hateful.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Lhancelot
10.11.2019 , 09:31 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
I particularly like that this forum is a classic forum. The Swtor Reddit is horrible for me. I refuse to even sign up on Reddit. And the voting option only causes complications and bad feelings. I don't need a computer system to tell me what thread is good and what poster is hateful.
I think these are the best points.

I despise Facebook, I don't use Reddit, I don't use Twitter, I just find these platforms subversive and in my mind they have only served to cause regression in human socialization.

I mean people get their feelings hurt enough on these forums without any sort of ego feeding social media platform to build people up or tear people down.

I also don't need other people's vote to direct me to what I should or should not read I prefer judging what I read and coming to my own conclusion as to how useful or helpful a post is.

It wouldn't change how I post, or what I like to read on these forums so for me an update to how the forums work here wouldn't be useful or helpful to me.

The only interest I'd have in it would be to watch how people behave with such a system in place. I am sure if it worked like Twitter or Facebook the forums would be worse than they are now, from a social standpoint.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

OlBuzzard
10.11.2019 , 10:11 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
I particularly like that this forum is a classic forum. The Swtor Reddit is horrible for me. I refuse to even sign up on Reddit. And the voting option only causes complications and bad feelings. Imagine certain people here being allowed to downvote posts. Better not.

It's not so difficult to find out which forumers are helpful, which are neutral, which are haters, which are whiteknights, which are trolls etc. Especially nowadays with just a handful of active posters left. Which is imho the main reason why nothing much is happening anymore. Reflection of the situation in the game. Small amount of active players, compared to the past. Let's see what 6.0 does about it. Currently I don't have my hopes up.

Regarding the importance of topics: That can also be found out quite easily: Does the topic stay on page 1 and get more than just a handful replies? Then it's relevant. Overall, I prefer to judge and think about things for myself. I don't need a computer system to tell me what thread is good and what poster is hateful.
Ditto.

It should also be noted that if I want information regarding the game or how it should be played... I should be able to find that HERE ! (not relying one someone else to do the job so to speak).
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|