Did Vader notice that Luke had his old lightsaber?

Felioats

I hadn't thought of it before. I don't think he says anything about it.

And did Ben stretch the truth a little when he said, "Your father wanted you to have this, when you were old enough?" Anakin hadn't spoken with him about the pregnancy before turning to the dark side.

I hadn't thought of it before. I don't think he says anything about it.

And did Ben stretch the truth a little when he said, "Your father wanted you to have this, when you were old enough?" Anakin hadn't spoken with him about the pregnancy before turning to the dark side.

He almost definitely stretched the truth. Haha... it's all from a certain point of view.

While each jedi's lightsaber is intended to be unique, chances are pretty good that many looked alike. Furthermore, Anakin lost his lightsaber so many times throughout the Clone Wars the one Obi Wan gave to Luke was probably just a spare anyway.

And no, Obi Wan did not stretch the truth, he outright lied. It was most likely Obi Wan who wanted to give the lightsaber to Luke ...when he was old enough but Uncle Owen wouldn't allow it.

While each jedi's lightsaber is intended to be unique, chances are pretty good that many looked alike. Furthermore, Anakin lost his lightsaber so many times throughout the Clone Wars the one Obi Wan gave to Luke was probably just a spare anyway.

And no, Obi Wan did not stretch the truth, he outright lied. It was most likely Obi Wan who wanted to give the lightsaber to Luke ...when he was old enough but Uncle Owen wouldn't allow it.

I think it was more symbolic then all that. He didn't really want Luke to think of his father (Anakin) as the man he had become (Vader). He likely reasoned that if Anakin hadn't fallen to the Dark Side, he would have been a great man (there was plenty of evidence to support that), and would have wanted his son to inherit his lightsaber at the least (though he likely would have preferred to help him build his own).

It's just how Obi-wan viewed the situation - he couldn't think of the man he knew being Vader. The two images were very separate in his mind, especially in the story he told to Luke ("Vader killed your father."). He even explained it as much to Luke himself on Bespin. As far as he was concerned, anything that was good and wholesome about Anakin died. The man he fought with on Mustafar was Vader.

[...] Anakin lost his lightsaber so many times throughout the Clone Wars the one Obi Wan gave to Luke was probably just a spare anyway.

We only know of two lightsabers that Anakin had - his first, destroyed on Geonosis, and his second, taken by Obi-Wan after Anakin's defeat on Mustafar. Even Wookiepedia has no mention of Anakin constructing a different lightsaber during the Clone Wars.

And, yes, "your father wanted you to have this, when you were old enough" was a lie, but it was a kind lie and it probably would've been truth had Anakin lived and not fallen to the Dark Side.

Actually, you see Obi Wan reach down and take Anakin's lightsaber from his mangled body on the slope of the lava flow on Mustafar at the end of ROTS. So that IS the same one. Whether Vader knew is another matter, Jedi are supposed to construct their sabers in a meditative state, focusing a part of The Force into it. The saber carries an imprint of it's creator (like the saber creation scene in the Jedi Knight story) The chances of Vader not having felt this through The Force when Luke confronted him on Bespin are slim methinks.

I doubt Vader would have recognized the LS...

1- it had been 18-20 years since he had seen it

2- he was busy deflecting the swings of that saber

3- I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) Anakin losing his LS or getting it destroyed many times in the Clone Wars TV series...perhaps he made them all the same?

Also Ben totally lied about Anakin wanting Luke to have it...maybe he meant "father" as in the force or just knew Luke would cherish the weapon and listen more attentively if it had some attachment to him.

The answere would have to be yes. In the last movie Vader says "I see you have constructed your own (or another) light saber your instuction is complete". We never see anyone telling Vader he had a son but he knew Luke was his. I think the time a jedi would put into making his LS would make it a personal thing "charged" with his personality. Edited by Malefik

I'll join the "yes he knew" wagon based on the same arguments others have posted.

but I would also add that "Old Ben" might not have been speaking directly about the specific lightsaber but figuratively: "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" -> "Your father would want you to become a jedi once you where old enough". Witch I think is true even for the Anakin as we know him.

But ok, more likely he just lied.

The answere would have to be yes. In the last movie Vader says "I see you have constructed your own (or another) light saber your instuction is complete"

Vader actually says "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber." He doesn't refer to the previous lightsaber Luke had been using in any other, characterizing manner.