Mouseover Healing

Malicity

This subject have come up multiple times, and is still not available in game. Personally I think it's a very basic staple for a lot of healers, something I myself have used for years playing both WoW and RIFT. It's a matter of playstyle and mouseover healing makes healing more enjoyable for myself. I'm probably not going to heal for starters in this game because of this and I'm worried the group finding will suffer because of this as well.

I fully understand why Bioware don't want macros in the game, because macroing together abilities to trivialize rotations and so on is bad. However, that's not an excuse for leaving mouseover healing out of the game. You can do stuff differently. You can add a mouseover healing options menu where you could create skill buttons for dedicated healing, buffing and debuff removal on mouseover.

It'd look much like the traditional macro frame, but in one column you have a list of your available skills you could make mouseover. You click the skill and it pops up in another column as a mouseover skill, which you can drag to your actionbar.

I love mouseover healing, click healing just feels clunky.

EDIT: There have been confusion of what mouseover healing actually is. Mouseover healing is hovering your mouse over either the raid/group frames or a player and hit a spell on your keyboard to achieve the same thing as clicking that raid/group frame or player and pushing the button. In WoW it was achieved through macros such as:

/cast [target=mouseover] Rejuvenation

Edited by Malicity
Clarification

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, mouse over casting is incredibly handy and almost essential, and they should add it in the game, not just for healers, an instant cast crowd control spell on mouse over has saved groups countless times.

It won't deter me from rolling a healer once I get in, but I'm sure someone will die because I need to 'readjust' to the old ways.

Mouse over is diffrent to Healbot and Decursive those addons basically did half the work for you.

Mouseover is a very basic ability that should be in and its a very handy thing to have. Since the UI they have provided is terrible at end game mouseover binds would semi solve the problem of possibly the worst UI in MMO history >).

Well maybe not that bad but hell LOTR was better and that was pretty lame.

So, What you're asking for is an in game Healbot/Decursive?

-sigh- mouseover healing is NOT NOT NOT any type of addon. Its just not. Its a type of TARGETING method only.

Its not like healbot, decursive, vuh'do, or staples easy button. Its just mouseover targeting. Simple UI targeting system. That is ALL.

You're right, mouse over casting is incredibly handy and almost essential, and they should add it in the game, not just for healers, an instant cast crowd control spell on mouse over has saved groups countless times.

It won't deter me from rolling a healer once I get in, but I'm sure someone will die because I need to 'readjust' to the old ways.

Really? You cannot heal without it?

Its like that one extra little click is too much for some people...

Lets not start this. Just because you might not use it, doesnt make it less valid. Do you argue about people who use F keys to target? It is also a valid way to target that doesnt involve mouseclicking the frame.

One click for every heal adds up. Yes for one heal its not much....for 5 hours of raiding its a LOT. Some of us treasure our joints :) Ergonomics wise, mouseover healing is better on your body....therefore some people look at it as a no-brainer for a game to have it.

Required? No. Desired? Yes. If there is one thing a game should do, it is to make a healer's job a bit easier (no macros needed, but mouseover would be nice). Games that don't, tend to lack healers in all level ranges.

Lets not start this. Just because you might not use it, doesnt make it less valid. Do you argue about people who use F keys to target? It is also a valid way to target that doesnt involve mouseclicking the frame.

One click for every heal adds up. Yes for one heal its not much....for 5 hours of raiding its a LOT. Some of us treasure our joints :) Ergonomics wise, mouseover healing is better on your body....therefore some people look at it as a no-brainer for a game to have it.

Oh I absolutely agree, if you prefer to use it then by all means use it :).

My problem with it comes from the countless pre-wipe posts about how it is a MUST and you cannot heal without it. It is a shame not all people are as level headed as yourself and will swear blind us noobs who dont use it cannot heal.

Anyhow I apologise if what I said implied I dont want people to play how they enjoy.

Oh I absolutely agree, if you prefer to use it then by all means use it :).

My problem with it comes from the countless pre-wipe posts about how it is a MUST and you cannot heal without it. It is a shame not all people are as level headed as yourself and will swear blind us noobs who dont use it cannot heal.

Anyhow I apologise if what I said implied I dont want people to play how they enjoy.

Anyone can be a great healer using what they prefer, the problem your talking about with people is that they learned one way and now CANT adapt lol.

I find its the same with the people who ONLY click heal, they get livid when talking about mouseover healing. They never used it, and have no desire to try to adapt to it.

Im old, played since EQ1 and have used just about every healing targeting style out there. Even if i dont PREFER it, I can use click targeting just fine. Heck, I can keep a raid alive with a tampon string, some bubble gum and a toothpick if I have to :D just might not be the most enjoyable time ever lol

Hey I started my healing career back in 'The Legend of Mir' a top down style mmo. No raid frames, no party health bars just good old fasioned hover your mouse above their 7 pixel char model and hope for the best :p.

Good times ^^

I've played healer a lot, in games with and without mouseover. Personally i don't use it but i don't have a problem with it. This is not an "add-on" debate. It should be a basic function of stock UIs

I would much rather see target of target though. That i use and its pretty annoying without it.

Hey I started my healing career back in 'The Legend of Mir' a top down style mmo. No raid frames, no party health bars just good old fasioned hover your mouse above their 7 pixel char model and hope for the best :p.

Good times ^^

the new "kiddies" just doing healing since WoW really dont know how good they have it these days :)

Its the old vets who realize the player makes the difference. If your good, your good regardless of how crappy the tools can be. Of course I will complain and gripe till I get some better tools, but that wont stop me from playing :)

I would much rather see target of target though. That i use and its pretty annoying without it.

This I miss a whole lot. Begin able to keep tank targeted and still do some DPS is useful for a healer.

Of course couple it with mouseover targeting and I can keep mob targeted for some damage, heal the raid AND instantly know when that pesky DPS just pulled aggro :)

Edited by Ezren

I just find mouse over healing more fun because it lets you do more then just heal. It is more seamless. It lets you focus more on mobility, offense, and other skills.

Making the UI more cumbersome is a poor and artificial way to make the game more challenging.

I don't want macro's. That is a way of the game doing why I want to without me even knowing I needed to. Its button mashing spam that requires no skill. However, Mouse Over targeting lets me do what I planned on doing without spraining my finger on the function keys.

Im old, played since EQ1 and have used just about every healing targeting style out there. Even if i dont PREFER it, I can use click targeting just fine. Heck, I can keep a raid alive with a tampon string, some bubble gum and a toothpick if I have to :D just might not be the most enjoyable time ever lol

Remember the old CH heal rotations from Everquest?!? Oh my word...

I agree, stepping out of your comfort zone and trying things that feel different can make you an even better healer. Healing these days requires practically no skills... when you do have them; however, you stand out amongst many.

Edited by Kukura

Remember the old CH heal rotations from Everquest?!? Oh my word...

I agree, stepping out of your comfort zone and trying things that feel different can make you an even better healer.

Oh lord, CHeal rotations, how I loathed you.

I'd have to say that those were my best MMO/raiding days... required much more communication and created stronger respect and friendships amongst each other.

Thats true. Everquest raiding was way more hardcore than new stuff. You had to be on your toes and even one second off on a Cheal your tank dropped. It isnt like today, where a little mishap can be recovered from. You screwed up then, you died.

And for anyone who reads this and never played it, yes you really DID walk to the raid uphill both ways barefoot in the snow. Honest.

I remember those CH chain days as well. Although my wife was the one in the chain, while I stood by and sang Mana Song, Resist Song, etc for the healers a lot of the time...

I miss my Bard so much ^_^

Note the Almost. As in almost essential, but not.

In wow you could heal just by typing, in fact that's how I healed in wrath of the lich king. It is just very handy to have a mouse over option.

-sigh- mouseover healing is NOT NOT NOT any type of addon. Its just not. Its a type of TARGETING method only.

Its not like healbot, decursive, vuh'do, or staples easy button. Its just mouseover targeting. Simple UI targeting system. That is ALL.

AHHHH, k now I see. thank you for clarifying.

Note the Almost. As in almost essential, but not.

In wow you could heal just by typing, in fact that's how I healed in wrath of the lich king. It is just very handy to have a mouse over option.

Actually it's how I first learned to heal, Spamming flash of light. Ahhh the good olde days. I was such a nubcake.

Actually it's how I first learned to heal, Spamming flash of light. Ahhh the good olde days. I was such a nubcake.

Ah yes Paladin 101... Vanilla BWL Raids some random addon that would auto allocate my heal to the lowest HP member in the raid. 1 button win raid healing

Edited by Nakemi

Agreed, don't need mouse over for healing, but i used it a lot for other things - CC, Marking, etc..

I had a pretty sweet Blessing of Protection Mouseover macro. Didnt need to know the name of who i was BoP-ing, all i had to know was that a boss was running at some mage that just pulled aggro. Mouse over - shift+e = BoP ******** mage. After they lived i could then look at their name and yell at them.

Mouse over helps when you have to make a super quick reaction, it's not playing the game for you.