Mouseover Healing

Malicity

Left click on target frame = Heal 1

right click on target frame = heal 2

middle click on target frame = heal 3

mousebutton 4 on target frame = heal 4

mousebutton 5 on target frame = /dance

etc...

how many hands do YOU really need if you get mouseover healing ? looks like it's waaaaay to complicated for you to figure out.

You do know that mouseclicks can be bound too, do you ? Oh wait, maybe i should use pictures to explain it... if i could be bothered

With mouseover healing, why even have a target, it also fixes the target of the target (oh wait, that is allready fixed then). Focus target, well lets remove that too, not needed anymore.

lets just remove all targetting from the healers, it's not like they need it. Right ?

For all those saying that mouseover healing is the same as regular healing, you've never healed without a macro i guess. The whole charm of clicking then healing is misstargetting.

But i give up seeing the size of this thread anyhow, lets just introduce autotargetting instead of mouseover.

Lets make it so that when you click a heal it will automaticly heal the person needing it the most. Lets remove all the managing, there is no need to triage ppl, why would you ask something that hard from a player. Lets just make it more fun and make it a healingfest for everybody !!

Yes...if it was up to me i would ban any macro from this game. I love how everybody allways brag on their skill when they have the macros doing all the stuff for them.

How does mouse-over targeting pick my target any easier than click targeting? I have to make all the same decisions as someone who has to physically click on their mouse to select a portrait.

It doesn't automate my choice of who to heal. It doesn't automate my choice of what spell to heal with. It just takes the same system and makes it more fluid.

It is no where near the next step to auto-targeting.

Also, I know I still used a focus target, and held a static target, even with mouse-over macros. I liked my focus target to watch a CC debuff. I liked my static target to hold what we're fighting, so I can either toss dps, or keep an eye on debuff/buffs/health.

And Kass - you need to stop harping on the UI issues here. We're aware they are major issues. No matter how much we whine, they aren't going to take people from one team and put it on another. They're also going to deal with things that might be easier to implement than others. But, they've also already said that in March we should have a customizable UI, they haven't mentioned mouse-overs. No point in continuing to stress that need over mouse-overs.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a razor naga it has 18 buttons just for my right hand. The left is free to really do whatever it wants pick my nose, stuff my face, won a math debate.... Possiblities r endless

This.

Naga healing *is* essentially mouseover healing. The only difference is that you actually have to expend energy to press the left click button to select your target.

Yes it's an expensive mouse, but once you get the mappings down, it's the best $75 you'll spend.

This.

Naga healing *is* essentially mouseover healing. The only difference is that you actually have to expend energy to press the left click button to select your target.

Yes it's an expensive mouse, but once you get the mappings down, it's the best $75 you'll spend.

Agreed Left click> thumb button> change target during cast> thumb button. But even if I key bound everything to the keyboard it would be that easy too just would have to use my left hand too.

And Kass - you need to stop harping on the UI issues here. We're aware they are major issues. No matter how much we whine, they aren't going to take people from one team and put it on another. They're also going to deal with things that might be easier to implement than others. But, they've also already said that in March we should have a customizable UI, they haven't mentioned mouse-overs. No point in continuing to stress that need over mouse-overs.

I understand that. But some of the issues are NOT UI based. Like lag in between skills, skills not firing on the correct target, and just general graphic bugs such as not being able to target peoples nameplates to heal them. The more WE talk about important issues the more likely they will get addressed. So I will continue "harping" for the betterment of this game. Until then our energy should be directed to things that are "easier to implement than others".

I understand that. But some of the issues are NOT UI based. Like lag in between skills, skills not firing on the correct target, and just general graphic bugs such as not being able to target peoples nameplates to heal them. The more WE talk about important issues the more likely they will get addressed. So I will continue "harping" for the betterment of this game. Until then our energy should be directed to things that are "easier to implement than others".

But they are addressing these issues. Even if we continuously bring up an issue, that isn't going to magically make the development happen any faster. All I'm saying is, harp about it in a different thread instead of detracting from this thread.

Just because you and others don't see it as an important issue for the betterment of the game doesn't mean that everyone agrees with you.

• 4 weeks later...
I would like to point out that the Dev's during the Guild Summit did talk about Mouseover healing and it is something that is in the works and they are planning on implementing. There is no ETA on it - but the point is that they are working on it, just be patient.

yeah, while i am not against mouseover healing there are much more pressing matters regarding healing that imo need to be addressed first before spending manpower on that.

things like UI displaying time left for buffs/debuffs as something actual easily readable.

UI displaying which debuffs are cleansable and which are not

healer imbalances

etc

I would like to point out that the Dev's during the Guild Summit did talk about Mouseover healing and it is something that is in the works and they are planning on implementing. There is no ETA on it - but the point is that they are working on it, just be patient.

Too little, too late.

yeah, while i am not against mouseover healing there are much more pressing matters regarding healing that imo need to be addressed first before spending manpower on that.

things like UI displaying time left for buffs/debuffs as something actual easily readable.

UI displaying which debuffs are cleansable and which are not

healer imbalances

etc

That's why I play Massively Solo! It is too painful to heal and that is my preferred role in a group. So I've been levelling alts waiting to see what shakes down the road. But to be honest, I'm running out of classes and I will soon be bored to tears! Too bad! This game had potential!

Left click on target frame = Heal 1

right click on target frame = heal 2

middle click on target frame = heal 3

mousebutton 4 on target frame = heal 4

mousebutton 5 on target frame = /dance

etc...

How it this any different than having a Razor Naga mouse with 14 additional mouse buttons? Left click on the frame, thumb button your heal. Either way, it's 1-handed healing.

For all those saying that mouseover healing is the same as regular healing, you've never healed without a macro i guess. The whole charm of clicking then healing is misstargetting.

The whole charm of clicking then healing is mistargeting? Really? In that case, I guess we should remove tab targeting from the game and force DPS to click on their desired target and also make them lose their target after every ability used. That would introduce the charm of mistargeting to DPS; sounds charming, right?

But i give up seeing the size of this thread anyhow, lets just introduce autotargetting instead of mouseover.

Lets make it so that when you click a heal it will automaticly heal the person needing it the most. Lets remove all the managing, there is no need to triage ppl, why would you ask something that hard from a player. Lets just make it more fun and make it a healingfest for everybody !!

Cause auto-targeting is really what people are asking for, amirite? Hell, I'm sure most people in support of mouseover healing would be against auto-targeting. That would be the most boring gameplay I could ever imagine...

Yes...if it was up to me i would ban any macro from this game. I love how everybody allways brag on their skill when they have the macros doing all the stuff for them.

There's no reason why click-to-cast has to be designed through macros. There could easily be a feature within the UI to toggle click-to-cast for individual abilities on the action bar, no macros required.

---

Yeah, I responded to an old post, but this post annoyed me each time I opened this thread.

Edited by Azkit

How it this any different than having a Razor Naga mouse with 14 additional mouse buttons? Left click on the frame, thumb button your heal. Either way, it's 1-handed healing.

^^ This. Mouseover healing = fail healer. L2P

Yeah, I responded to an old post, but this post annoyed me each time I opened this thread.

haha, was thinking the same thing.

^^ This. Mouseover healing = fail healer. L2P

I have NM kills on SOA and Kar...I learnt to play. I can deal with not having them but I would love Mouse Over healing.

Insisting on no mouse over healing = belongs in a museum = old healer. L2Evolve.

P.S. Healed stock in WoW for 8 years, only with MO macros when implemented but click to cast before it was (for almost a year if I recall) . I earned my stripes as an old school healer. Glad they are implementing it.

If you don't like it, turn it off...but it's not game changing to put in a mouse over macro. Anyone who says it is...needs to L2P cause if your only claim to elitism is winning the challenge fightinging with the UI...you got mad skillz brah.

Edited by EH_Strahd

The whole charm of clicking then healing is mistargeting? Really? In that case, I guess we should remove tab targeting from the game and force DPS to click on their desired target and also make them lose their target after every ability used. That would introduce the charm of mistargeting to DPS; sounds charming, right?

Cause auto-targeting is really what people are asking for, amirite? Hell, I'm sure most people in support of mouseover healing would be against auto-targeting. That would be the most boring gameplay I could ever imagine...

There's no reason why click-to-cast has to be designed through macros. There could easily be a feature within the UI to toggle click-to-cast for individual abilities on the action bar, no macros required.

---

You don't lose your target after every cast. You just have to select another player from your ops list or party list and cast on them if they need a heal. And when you are healing in a group you have a list of players you can click on. When you are DPS and there are 20 creatures surrounding you good luck trying to find out which one has the lowest health so you don't split the DPS. Try tab targeting players and healing at the same time.

I get that Mouse over healing would be great for healers because it makes their lives easier, but this is not a necessity. All it does it save you from clicking every 2 seconds and your finger getting burnt out from clicking so much.

Don't get me wrong this is something I would like to see down the line, but I think there are way more important things they need fix and update before they even touch on this subject.

• 5 weeks later...

we agree that old school healing is nostalgic and yeah, takes some skill.

we agree mouseover healing is convenient and we cut down on the number of keypresses.

we agree devs stated mouseover macros aren't real macros.

when i started healing swtor i keybound my heals. healing went like this: click the nameplate with my mouse, hit the 'E' key with my left hand.

then i bought a razor naga hex. 6 buttons under my thumb. it comes preset to num 1-6. easy right? i rebound my heals to 1-6. my healing was : left click the frames, click the side button with my thumb, or left hand E. easier?

How bad would it be if i wrote little macros like these:

button 1 macro: left click down, left click up, delay .020, keypress 1 down, keypress 1 up

/discuss:wea_02:

Still Leveling my toon can't wait to get to 50, played wow for 4 years and loved healbot. yes it makes the game more easier in raid. the Healing job is important and Having to click one button to target, one button to heal when instead press on characters name heal them takes less time and makes the raid leaders job alot easier. I have also Dps'd one shaman and feral druid and when you do not have to change your target every couple seconds is alot easier than healing. One other thing i would like to see is the option (originally was a little addon in wow until the implemented it later) the ability to right click a spell and cast it on myself, instead of clicking my name healing my self, shielding myself etc. than click back on target that needs heals then cast again thats 3 clicks to do that instaead if you right click its Cast on Target, Right Click your Self, Heal Target Again much easier. otherwise love the game so far.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I want to share something about the mouse over heal.

First, while many players in WoW used an addon that provided elegant group layout with the convenience of mouse over heal, an addon is not needed at least for the mouse over part. My last run in WoW after taking an absence from SWTOR a couple of months ago, I end up using an UI for the gui layout (always hated wow defaults). But instead of using healing addons, I just simply used macros to change the skill I was using and depending on if the target (mouseover) was friendly, or not. The best, is that unless those primitive mouse over functions were changed (very rarely), with that approach I do not have to worry by addon breakage on patches.

Another thing, the mouseover healing action in itself provides faster healing than the 2 clicks method: click to select, click to cast. It can easy be a second difference. In dps, a second is nothing. In healing can mean a party/ops member is dead.

Another thing, the mouseover healing action in itself provides faster healing than the 2 clicks method: click to select, click to cast. It can easy be a second difference. In dps, a second is nothing. In healing can mean a party/ops member is dead.

I usually target my next target during the GCD/Cast and I hope you mean Key-press in the underlined section because healing simply doesn't work if you need to move your mouse to activate Abilities, you need your mouse to select targets.

if you indeed do click your Abilities with your Mouse that explains why you think it sucks.

I find healing in this game rather boring and very easy. Because, for the most part, you know who's going to get hit. This knowledge leads to predictability and overhealing in anticipation of incoming damage. To make matters worse, GCD is long and cast times are even longer. To make matters terrible, there are only a few skills you'll ever use as a healer.

The only thing that makes healing somewhat interesting is people derping around - dps standing in aoe, tanks not wearing shields and other healers feeding their cats.

• 1 month later...
I usually target my next target during the GCD/Cast and I hope you mean Key-press in the underlined section because healing simply doesn't work if you need to move your mouse to activate Abilities, you need your mouse to select targets.

if you indeed do click your Abilities with your Mouse that explains why you think it sucks.

His post is confusing, but I think it's safe to assume he meant keypress. Mouse-over targeting wouldn't work if he were clicking his skills, as he'd have no target.

I have to say, mouse-over targeting is a huge QoL improvement, and I'm very disappointed that it's not available in this game.

His post is confusing, but I think it's safe to assume he meant keypress. Mouse-over targeting wouldn't work if he were clicking his skills, as he'd have no target.

I have to say, mouse-over targeting is a huge QoL improvement, and I'm very disappointed that it's not available in this game.

I'd disagree, based on my experiences with mouse-over targeting in Tera. That style of healing is certainly more engaging than the whack-a-mole method of selecting based on raid frames that SWTOR has...

But it also causes more delay between ability activations (since you have to find the person on your screen first, and if they are running away from your cursor then that gets twice as annoying). Mouse-over targeting is also inefficient if you have everyone stacking close together, since in that case there would a high probability that your carefully aimed heal will lock onto someone else instead.

• 2 weeks later...

so let me get this right... after 3 years SWTOR still doesn't offer any mouse-over healing without the player using 3rd party tools and/or gaming hardware? is this simply due to utter incompetence on the part of the developers or do the devs simply have shares from Logitech/Razor or what exactly is the effing issue?

I mean, how hard could it be guys? You managed to implement your cash shop in-game to sell your players two extra action bars (btw. I don't think I've ever heard of something quite as despicable as this in my entire life - first design a UI that is so utterly terrible that it wouldn't have made it into an early beta version of WOW and then have the nerve to turn around and SELL people two extra action bars... have you got no shame? :eek:) so surely a macro system or at the very least a simple mouse-over option can't be too much to ask, no?

i hope you feel duly ashamed BW! :(

Edited by gaalon

so let me get this right... after 3 years SWTOR still doesn't offer any mouse-over healing without the player using 3rd party tools and/or gaming hardware? is this simply due to utter incompetence on the part of the developers or do the devs simply have shares from Logitech/Razor or what exactly is the effing issue?

It's due to the fact that plenty of people clear the hardest content without any mouse-over healing. It's not needed. Use keybinds.

I mean, how hard could it be guys? You managed to implement your cash shop in-game to sell your players two extra action bars (btw. I don't think I've ever heard of something quite as despicable as this in my entire life

Subscribers get all the bars free, and players are free to re-design their UI. I've always thought F2P people demanding everything be available to them while they don't pay anything towards the game pretty despicable- but maybe it's just me.

I hope you feel as silly as you look to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, how hard could it be guys? You managed to implement your cash shop in-game to sell your players two extra action bars (btw. I don't think I've ever heard of something quite as despicable as this in my entire life - first design a UI that is so utterly terrible that it wouldn't have made it into an early beta version of WOW and then have the nerve to turn around and SELL people two extra action bars... have you got no shame? :eek:) so surely a macro system or at the very least a simple mouse-over option can't be too much to ask, no?

I sincerely hope they never add the ability to use 3rd party tools or mouseover healing. One of the major things SWTOR has over WoW or Rift is that you CAN'T use macros/moseover/etc. It prevents raids from being so mind numbingly boring that you can blindly smash your macros and feel 'l33t' about clearing difficult content.

Mouseover healing is to regular healing as Kuat Drive Yards is to regular grouped content. Both need to be out of the game for good.