PvP Pyro 1.2 Impressions so Far, Modding Tests.

exphryl

Now that I have some time to sit down I will type a bit more in depth outlook on this. I'll continue to update this thread within this coming week as more testing is applied and new things changed or learned.

Current Gear Setup And Spec - Added 4/26/2012

I am going to keep this updated as best I can. Since there is no Armory this is a good, alternative:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f4cec873-51d0-48d1-8f73-488a8402e1ee

Full Match Videos:

Started recording full matches for a bit. Staying away from "compilation" videos for now so you can see all the nitty gritty of Pyro now. The great burst, and some of the heat issues the build suffers. Giving you an overall idea of how it plays.

- Added 4/26/2012

---------------------------------------------------------------

Pyro Specs Tested /Used Today:

5/5/31: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMZMcZfhMbdGGMs.1

7/3/31: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZ0cZfhMbdGGMs.1

8/8/25: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhMbdGhM.1

8/5/28: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhMbdGhMc.1

Thermal Detonator vs Non-TD Builds

I am removing this section. I am 100% In favor of TD Builds again. :) They are providing the best overall damage with current heat changes for me in Warzones.

Modding and Gear

Current Stats: http://www.exphryl.com/warhero_crafted_new_stats.jpg

I started the day in regular BM Gear. I changed everything back before 1.2 so the new stats would upgrade appropriately. Being mildly disappointed at the amount of accuracy I went and gave it a shot.

Half a game later as I left the Warzone, I remodded the Enhancements with the Power/Surge ones I had left over from old IA Champion gear.

Unfortunately I can not see how this is attainable other then checking your GTN. It isn't practical now for new 50s. On the plus side the new War Hero gear has Power/Surge but that again, isn't a practical solution for most people.

I did however opt for more 38 Endurance / 18 Power / 48 Surge over the 23 End ones. It was amazing how much endurance I lost with the "upgrade" and It just didn't feel right PvP'n with 16K buffed (give or take) HP. So I stretched out as much as I could to get up to a little over 17K. I am also using Moddable Bracers and Belts with PvE Parts.

If you notice from the gear it's the new War Hero gear, crafted. I was able to on an alt Crit every piece for Augment slots. For the time being each augment slot is filled with the "new" Reflex Augment. (13 End/18 AIM I think they were off the top of my head). Trying to proc the Epic version but no luck yet. Either or that in each of the 5 pieces for me, outweighed the set bonus of 15% Crit on Rail Shot. I always believe consistent damage is better than chance damage so it's a preference. Figure out what works best for you. (On the plus side once I get the WH Gear officially, I'll have Augmented versions to just transfer that armoring over)

General Rotation and Heat Management

To not downplay it, the PPA change hurts Heat greatly in PvP. The few PvE Flashpoints I did today I had 0 heat problems on a boss since I could easily weave in rapid shots between attacks. However, lets not fool ourselves, there are more then enough times where we have no option for rapid shots when fighting an opponent and we need to desperately kill them before they kill us.

As such in a Warzone where we are not crushing the other team I do overheat more than I'd like. I still manage to kill whoever it is I want at that expense and in a lot of cases my demise right after, but taking out critical targets helps my team push more. In a Premade though I have a bit more flexibility as we focus targets and don't have to go all out myself all the time. In those cases heat isn't an issue.

Sitting at 0 Heat, my general rotation; considering cooldowns are available (This is obviously up for tweaking as I get more playtime in) :

Thermal Over-Ride > Incendiary Missle > Thermal Detonater > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Rail Shot (If PPA) > Flame Burst > Rapid Shots.

The reason I Rocket Punch before FLame Bursting (Which I normally didn't due to how RS resets CGC Proc) is due to it having a higher chance to proc a PPA. The earlier I get that on cool-down the better.

If this is a consistent battle I just reset the rotation on the next target. However, I'll never use IM again. It's to heat costly if Thermal Override isn't up. it's depressing really since it's damage is pathetic and it only used to not was a PPA proc initially. But in a group battle that is continuous it causes to much overheating and I'd much rather "miss" a potential PPA than overheat and be SOL.

Overall Thoughts On Pyro:

Generally speaking, I am very pleased with the way the class still continues to play. Survivability is still an issue which i don't think will ever be adjusted though.

Overall damage, with the Re modding didn't change much. I consistently get 4.5k Rail Shot Crits with the occasional 5k+. You still have more than enough burst potential to bring down a player of your choosing which I like as healers, even nerfed the way they were with the expertise change, can be a pain to kill. (I'm looking at you 3 TA Operatives).

However, one nice thing about how the BM Gear changed is everybody has these high accuracy enhancements hindering their gear so for now, MOST players are doing a lot less damage than they should so you can actually stay alive fairly long. This will change once remodding comes in to play for the masses so enjoy it now.

Pyro vs AP Preference:

The following is purely my opinion on the playstyle of the specs, and why I choose Pyro over AP (since there will be a lot of AP Threads popping up for sure)

I started the day with AP, since it got the brunt of the changes. I did have a BM Combat Tech set available to use to keep things consistent with other players using this build. I am familiar with the build and play-style just the same as I am with Pyro. If anything this patch made AP play-style easier to manage with the additional snares.

A few games in though some things were still glaringly obvious as to why I do not particularly like AP.

- Updated Flame Thrower was a nice addition, with the snare and easier to build stacks. But this ability, in PvP still suffers from the poor net-code this game has. A stunned target yes, it's very easy to hit them with a full duration which is significant damage. However, even with the snare, sometimes the player right in front of you is not being hit by the ability.

-In general I feel as if the ability is still easily avoided and is still to reliant on Stuns and immobilized opponents to get the maximum benefit. Perhaps if there was a root of some sort added in to the tree it would make more sense with current talents. Personally I'd like to see the snare added to RB be baseline, and specing up to the "new snare talent" added a 2sec root to the ability (Well, not a spammable root, but some type of ability on cooldown that roots. Similar to Operatives that are concealment that can spec in to it).

-I don't want to give the wrong impression, AP can do decent burst. There isn't enough control over that burst though which I find a personal dislike in the tree.

Anyways. That's about it in general for everything. Like I said i'll add, take away, update etc this post as the week progresses for people.

Edited by exphryl

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At work so I can't comment on live, didn't get to PVP on the PTR much either... However my guild did have the first HM Denova clear, and I play Pyro DPS.

In PvE, we're more than fine. In fact, I was top DPS when we got our parse set up. Beat our marauder by a fairly significant margin. I almost look at it as a buff, since it makes it a more reliable, less luck based class. I have to do a lot less praying to get free rail shots, and any person who isn't an idiot can work around and realize how insignificant the cooldown is.

We're fine. I expect to still melt people in PvP for a long time coming, and hope to continue to top damage in PvE.

Can you still strip out good mods from champion gear in 1.2 and put them in your battlemaster gear for an improvement?

If so what are you using, the imperial agent mods?

Don't know. I'd assume so, I have no champion gear to test.

I did just save all the enhancements I had from before 1.2 Hit (So my gear would update) which is what I used.

Healers really got boned this patch so you do NOT need back to back PPA Procs to beat em, they die very very quickly now...

Edited by exphryl

I'm running into problems with not wanting to flame burst to save the proc but needing the target to be on fire.

Also running into alot of famine situations still. the increased % on FB and RP isnt really noticeable.

Edited by Theology

I'm running into problems with not wanting to flame burst to save the proc but needing the target to be on fire.

Also running into alot of famine situations still. the increased % on FB and RP isnt really noticeable.

Yeah. *HAVING* to use IM First is making my opening a bit clumsy as I'm so used to Flame bursting (when I know PPA isn't on cooldown that is).

I waste a lot of procs cause of that right now. heh

Yeah I'm not having any issues with the RS GCD.

I am finding I am using Unload alot more, too. Flame Sweep puts 'em on fire too, I toss that out in melee so that I can take my pick of the litter for focus fire.

PS I for one don't call this a nerf at all. We needing slight adjustments. Have to think about heat management a hell of alot more now, that's a good thing I think. Baddies beware.

Edited by Poe_

Only tryed 3 wz,s sens I got 1.2 down, still melt ppl and dont notice the 6sec ppm as a problem. I usualy always autospam rapid shots when im running and dont try focus somone down or closing in, often this give you the oppotuninty to "rapid, TD, rapid, rail (inrange) " RP, TD explode + new rail". about here first target often dead or so low its easy end hes suffering and start on next target.

The biggest nerf I feel atm is the owerall dmg and dream of 1000k get hit heavy by DFA nerf, and Im not talking range but the fact its not more a ROP "rain of pillows".

So as long we focus on get important targets as healers or ranged dps down we do alot for the team in terms lift preassure. Without that healer and one of the ranged the assult on our base is alot easier to handle etc etc.

After playing a few WZs, the "nerf" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just have to pay attention to your heat at first to get a feel for it, and you should be good to go.

I'm more curious about how AP is performing now.

I played my first few games today as AP. It's pretty poor still in my opinion....

Did you put in BM equivalent power/surge enhancements or did you rip ones from new BM gear?

Couldn't find any BM gear that had Power or Surge. Usually was one or the other (Surge being on some Defense gear of Juggs).

I had everything saves for Enhancements before patch, I can see new 50s not being able to do that set up though as it'll require farming PvE gear now.

Couldn't find any BM gear that had Power or Surge. Usually was one or the other (Surge being on some Defense gear of Juggs).

I had everything saves for Enhancements before patch, I can see new 50s not being able to do that set up though as it'll require farming PvE gear now.

So it was just the same champ ones?

Will keep this relatively brief but starting a thread so others can post their thoughts also.

Remodded all my enhancements back to the Power/Surge ones I had saved before patch.

Wearing moddable bracers/Belt.

PVP Damage Bonus is down to 18.34%

PVP Damage Reduction is down to 15.50%

But I gained 100 Power and 10% Surge.

I'm also critting some oranges so may try a build with just crit crafted gear and forgo the set bonus for more baseline stats. Will update how that is going

I also gained a bit more HP, but even then I'm still about 1k short of what I was before patch.

Doing this enabled me to get back up to the near 5K Range on my Railshots and TDs. I really hardly notice the 6 sec ICD so far.

I still melt people very very easily.

Shall post something more detailed later today but just from the few warzones I did so far. I did the remodding after the first few since I was getting frustrated at the damage drop with all the Accuracy stuff.

Edit #1: Just hit a 5022 Railshot Crit :D Hard to tell gear level of chars anymore based on health sicne everybody's is lower so not sure. how much expertise the player had.

As I appreciate your input I am 99% sure you are one of the main reasons bioware nerfed powertechs. Do me a big *********** favor and do not post any more videos of your facerolling or insane crits. Also, keep the thread professional and keep stuff like the marked red text OUT.

Unless you want another fkin nerf. You know what happened to operatives.

If you purely want to showoff I say remain your bragging for ingame chat.

No offense but I didn't just level a 50 PT to get nerfed twice. Keep threads like these going and the sorcerers, mercenarys , and soon to be nerfed down assassins will find them, and start to cry.

I hope you think twice before bragging again.

As for the rest of the people in this thread saying how totally fine PT's are : Keep it to yourself.

I have had no time to play mine yet as my main pc is being repaired, but I sure as hell won't come here bragging if the class turns out to be fine.

EDIT : Don't get me wrong, I like you and your vids, but this is how operatives got nerfed aswell. Bioware does look at forum and youtube material, as has been proven when they replied to a person that made a vid of him critting 10k with his op.

Besides, a 6 sec cooldown does indeed affect PT's. Before I used to be able to get 3 railshot procs in a row, which is impossible now. With the long fights we will have heat issues. Glad heat cost of quell is gone but still, I doubt we will be able to solo sin tanks that easily now.

Edited by Shredbull

Will keep this relatively brief but starting a thread so others can post their thoughts also.

Remodded all my enhancements back to the Power/Surge ones I had saved before patch.

Wearing moddable bracers/Belt.

PVP Damage Bonus is down to 18.34%

PVP Damage Reduction is down to 15.50%

But I gained 100 Power and 10% Surge.

I'm also critting some oranges so may try a build with just crit crafted gear and forgo the set bonus for more baseline stats. Will update how that is going

I also gained a bit more HP, but even then I'm still about 1k short of what I was before patch.

Doing this enabled me to get back up to the near 5K Range on my Railshots and TDs. I really hardly notice the 6 sec ICD so far.

I still melt people very very easily.

Shall post something more detailed later today but just from the few warzones I did so far. I did the remodding after the first few since I was getting frustrated at the damage drop with all the Accuracy stuff.

Edit #1: Just hit a 5022 Railshot Crit :D Hard to tell gear level of chars anymore based on health sicne everybody's is lower so not sure. how much expertise the player had.

Probably a pretty good sign considering almost anyone can buy a full set of recruit gear with a descent amount of expertise. What relics do you use? Also I assume Elimanator set bonus?

Probably a pretty good sign considering almost anyone can buy a full set of recruit gear with a descent amount of expertise. What relics do you use? Also I assume Elimanator set bonus?

Yeah. Eliminator for now.

Dual BM Relics.

Still using that same build in your sig?

I had some slightly modified build of yours with TD in the rotation before 1.2 but I'm not sure what I sacrificed to get TD now.

But, I think I'll just try out yours. Why was it again that you forgo TD?