How do i get more fps/less lag while in a warzone

Mqnqcles

I’ve a 5700k, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD and a GTX 1080

For pvp I turn my settings down to maximise performance. I get 120-180 FPS

The best solution for PvP is to turn down and off some graphics settings.

Turn of Enhanced Shadow (it should give you an extra 20+ FPS)

Turn of Shadow Quality totally and this will disable shadow cascades too (this will give you another 20+ FPS) and make the game more smooth

Turn off bloom as this also causes a drop in FPS and isn’t needed in pvp.

If you aren’t getting 120-180 FPS after that, then you can try reducing some of the other settings.

Start with grass and tree viewing distance (I use 30%)

Then Antialiasing.

Once you get a reasonable FPS, start increase something’s till you get it balanced between performance and best looking.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I wish they'd allow us to turn down (or off) the particle effects. So many of them are overwrought. When my force bubble pops, it basically blanks the screen. Turning off bloom helps with speed, but really, its the crazy particle effects and the -very old- client software that doesn't take advantage of modern processors or graphics cards that slows things down.

If you select 'medium' or 'low' settings from the overall pulldown preset button, you should get a reasonable shot at being able to tweak performance. The high and ultra setting tend to set things that aren't really necessary for gameplay, like grass draw distance. You can have a look at how your framerate is doing by pressing space+cntl+f all at once. Good luck!

Edited by Akevv

I’ve a 5770k, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD and a GTX 1080

For pvp I turn my settings down to maximise performance. I get 120-180 FPS

The best solution for PvP is to turn down and off some graphics settings.

Turn of Enhanced Shadow (it should give you an extra 20+ FPS)

Turn of Shadow Quality totally and this will disable shadow cascades too (this will give you another 20+ FPS) and make the game more smooth

Turn off bloom as this also causes a drop in FPS and isn’t needed in pvp.

If you aren’t getting 120-180 FPS after that, then you can try reducing some of the other settings.

Start with grass and tree viewing distance (I use 30%)

Then Antialiasing.

Once you get a reasonable FPS, start increase something’s till you get it balanced between performance and best looking.

Please show me a video of you having 120 fps in combat with several people. I'll be waiting.

And no, he will not have 100 fps in a warzone on a 2700x no matter what option gymnastics he does.

Edited by invertioN

Please show me a video of you having 120 fps in combat with several people. I'll be waiting.

And no, he will not have 100 fps in a warzone on a 2700x no matter what option gymnastics he does.

I mean, I get 144hz 98% of the time. It hard drops down to 30-40 sometimes depending on whats going on, but its not exactly impossible to get good fps in the game despite how poorly optimized it is.

I mean, I get 144hz 98% of the time. It hard drops down to 30-40 sometimes depending on whats going on, but its not exactly impossible to get good fps in the game despite how poorly optimized it is.

So it'll be easy for you to fulfill that guys request then right?

I’ve nothing to prove to you. I was offering some tech advice to help someone.

You will note he said “with max settings”. So my advise is to turn them down if he wants better FPS

I also don’t have a 144hz monitor, but I do run 3x 24” 1080p @ 5760x1080 and my FPS in WZs never drops below 100FPS. Out side of WZs at the “pvp settings” I use, it sits around 200FPS. If I turn my settings to max there is of course a FPS hit.

I also don’t use a AMD 2700x, I’ve a i7 5770k, but that doesn’t mean he can’t get higher FPS by reducing the settings as I’ve stated.

None of my suggestions are invalid, he will get better performance by turning off enhanced shadows, all shadow settings, turning off bloom and even reducing grass and tree render distance.

I did some recent testing of the graphical settings on the PTS to see how much of a performance hit their changes have made and give Bioware some feed back. Testing in both live and PTS have shown me that enhanced shadows and shadows in general are the biggest degrader in performance because they aren’t optimised properly. Bloom is also a large degrader in performance.

If you doubt what I’m saying, do you own testing following my methodology and provide your own results. Remember to list every part of your system setup so we can compare apples to apples.

System : Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1709 (build 16299.1087)

i7 5770k @ 4.8 GHz (water cooled), 16GB G.Skill Trident Ram, 512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD.

Asus TUF Z370-PRO GAMING, MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G (nvidia driver : 425.31), 3 x 24” 1080 monitors

Testing graphical performance (as I’ve not seen anyone else do this yet)

General setting : VSync off, Full screen, resolution 5760x1080, refresh rate 60, frame rate 60 (changing doesn’t do anything, still doesn’t work)

Advanced settings all turned to maximum to start testing.

Test environment one : Imperial fleet (3 people on fleet, 1 map)

All at Max settings :

FPS : 171ms (red - green)

Bloom on FPS = 171ms, Bloom off FPS = 181ms

Very noticeable amount of Jerky or laggy feeling when turning or when moving near another player or NPC vendor.

Keep testing with Bloom off

Start turning down settings :

1. Shadow map resolution turned down each notch from 2048 to 1024

No noticeable change in jerky feeling

FPS does not change

2. Shadow map cascades set to : high

FPS : 162ms (red), drops to 159ms (red) near another player

Zero change in jerky feeling while turning and running

3. Shadow map cascades set to : medium

FPS : 193ms (red + yellow), drops to 148ms near another player

Small change in jerky feeling while turning and running. But still noticeable.

4. Shadow quality set to : low (with shadow map cascades at medium)

FPS : 173ms (green), drops to 149ms near another player

Zero noticeable change in jerky feeling from number 3 test.

5. Shadow quality set to : off (disables map cascades and shadow map resolution)

FPS : 203ms (green + yellow), drops to 164ms near another player

Can still notice jerky feeling (but not as bad)

6. Enhanced shadows turned : off

FPS : 221ms (red), drops to 180ms when running near another player

Jerky feeling gone

Start turning settings back up with Enhanced shadows off

7. Shadow quality set to : low (with shadow map cascades at medium)

FPS : 213ms (red), drops to 176ms near another player running

Small detectable jerky feeling (but only slightly)

8. Shadow quality set to : high (with shadow cascades at medium)

FPS : 189ms (red + yellow), drops to 139-162ms near another player running

Definitely noticeable jerky feeling while running and turning

9. Ended test there because higher settings would only show worse results.

Went to test in Coruscant strong hold with no decorations and only 1 person instance.

Similar results as Fleet. Only variance was slightly higher FPS.

My Conclusions :

Enhanced shadows is a major factor in causing the jerky feeling when turning. Shadow in general also plays a role in this.

Bloom contributes to the problem, but not as much.

Other players in the area have a negative net affect of FPS (shouldn’t be this bad for 1 person. I can only imagine how much worse this will be when you have full multiple map instances)

FPS is high enough, so these problems shouldn’t be happening. More work needs to happen to optimise shadows.

My system is above average and should be more than sufficient to run this game on full (smoothly). Which I do on live. I think these changes will impact a fair few people and running at max setting (smoothly) will be the domain of those with better systems than mine.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I have a 2080ti and a 9900k and I still dip down into the 30's sometimes. The game is still running on directx9 thus it doesn't matter how good your pc is since its limited by what the engine is running on.

That shouldn’t be happening with your system. Are you running all settings at max when that happens? Ie enhanced shadows on etc? Do you run a 1080p, 144hz or 4K monitor?

Are you streaming or running other software or apps when this happens?

And what have you got the 9900k clocked at?

That shouldn’t be happening with your system. Are you running all settings at max when that happens? Ie enhanced shadows on etc? Do you run a 1080p, 144hz or 4K monitor?

Are you streaming or running other software or apps when this happens?

And what have you got the 9900k clocked at?

Of course it should be happening. How good your system is has no bearing on this games general performance. I get 144fps the majority of the time, but this games limitations due to directx9 means I'm going to have frame drops happen when there's a lot going on the screen regardless of what graphical settings I use because the game is only using like 20% of my GPU and it loves to max out one core of my CPU because, again, directx 9 limitations...

General play and even pvp my fps is stable most of the time. 16 man raids? Forget it. Its a stuttering crap shoot no matter what graphical setting is set and its been like that for every build I've had which since launch of the game has been 4 different pc builds.

Edited by Raansu

For being in the computer business I would expect you having something better :)

I feel like he meant 4770k because I don't believe there was ever a 5770 released. My last build was a 5820k which was a pretty decent chip after being overclocked.

For being in the computer business I would expect you having something better :)

Why? I’m playing swtor and WoW, it’s not like a better system will improve performance any.

Maybe if something better and more intensive comes along I’ll upgrade, otherwise it’s just a waste of money.

FYI, I do upgrade my other equipment more often and just got Fibre laid through the house and a new server and router setup.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

None of my suggestions are invalid, he will get better performance by turning off enhanced shadows, all shadow settings, turning off bloom and even reducing grass and tree render distance.

I actually think your suggestions were excellent.

I just don't want people to come and get the wrong expectations that they can run 100 fps in combat in pvp, and then wonder is something wrong with their system when they don't get the expected result.

I'm ignoring what OC'd 9900k can do though, as I don't have experience with that. I'm running 8700k and it's impossible to hold 100 fps constantly, and almost never in combat.

Edited by invertioN

After all these years, and all these types of threads, and all these posts claiming 60+ consistent FPS in warzones, I'm still waiting on one of these people to actually link a video showing it.

It's almost like it's an engine limitation, not really linked to pc spec and people are telling fibs about their performance.

Can't be that though, too many people have been getting non verified 120+ FPS running the game on their cousins casio calculator. This is a good Christian game so I don't believe anyone would lie about it.

After all these years, and all these types of threads, and all these posts claiming 60+ consistent FPS in warzones, I'm still waiting on one of these people to actually link a video showing it.

It's almost like it's an engine limitation, not really linked to pc spec and people are telling fibs about their performance.

Can't be that though, too many people have been getting non verified 120+ FPS running the game on their cousins casio calculator. This is a good Christian game so I don't believe anyone would lie about it.

bruh i get 1002 fps. L2P

Probably because recording causes dips in FPS? I tried recording some matches and it tanked my fps. Swtor is one of the few games I can't record regardless if I'm using OBS or geforce shadow recording. I fully admitted that in heavier fights it will dip down pretty far. Sometimes it dips down to 30, most of the time it stays around 60-70 and then back to 144. Obviously if I don't max out of my graphical settings it would probably be more stable, but it is what it is. I'm so used to it now I'm not bothered by it and my gsync monitor makes it way less noticeable.

No one here is denying the fact that this game is poorly optimized running on a jank incomplete engine stuck in 32bit directx9 with it running 2 processes to bypass that limit which in and of itself causes more problems.....Its probably why recording the game murders fps.

Edited by Raansu

I understand the hell of trying to improve this, I think its just an issue with a lot of players and animations on screen, but I'll try to help...

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;

Please don't judge my play too harshly, 1st I am crap and 2nd, I was staring at the fps counter most of the time.

But after a minute or so my average fps was 47.

Not too bad but bear in mind I'm running an i7 8700k, gtx1080 and 64 gig ram on my laptop so its pretty comfortable with anything you throw at it.

As others have mentioned, lower settings may bear fruits of higher fps numbers so be sure to try that, and hope you succeed in finding a good balance between playability and prettyness.

I understand the hell of trying to improve this, I think its just an issue with a lot of players and animations on screen, but I'll try to help...

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;

Please don't judge my play too harshly, 1st I am crap and 2nd, I was staring at the fps counter most of the time.

But after a minute or so my average fps was 47.

Not too bad but bear in mind I'm running an i7 8700k, gtx1080 and 64 gig ram on my laptop so its pretty comfortable with anything you throw at it.

As others have mentioned, lower settings may bear fruits of higher fps numbers so be sure to try that, and hope you succeed in finding a good balance between playability and prettyness.

I really think its hit or miss. My last build the game didn't run well at all. Constant hiccups and it was something I simply just got used to. Whether the game just did not like the 5820k, or if it didn't like the board.....who knows, but it never ran good, where as my build before that with an AMD phenom 2 the game ran fine. Granted they have updated some visuals and particle effects over the years so I imagine that amd build probably wouldn't run the game very well anymore.

My current build the game runs with little to no hiccups and generally stable fps all the time where as a friend of mine like you has an 8700k OC'd and its hit or miss. Honestly this games engine is just janky and its up in the air on your chip/bios/drivers on how well the game runs. I've seen potatoes run the game flawlessly on max settings and top tier computers struggle to even run the game at all. End of the day its luck of the draw due to a garbage engine.