Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Started seeing "Sorc healer for..." for the first time last night.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Started seeing "Sorc healer for..." for the first time last night.

Wintor
01.18.2012 , 09:47 AM | #1
I went merc heals on a whim starting the game and have been really enjoying playing him. I like the style of healing and coming from years of WoW healing, it seems a bit refreshing.

However, I do have an eye on endgame, and of course now I'm seeing Sorc/Sage are THE healers to take on HM's and OPs. At first I didn't think much of it and figure I'll still find my spot in a raid, which I may (only 34 right now).

Last night fleet chat has me worried though. For the first time I started seeing a TON of requests for Sorc heals. Not asking for a "healer," but a Sorc healer. And of course, I've also started messing with a Jugg tank, and last night all I see is requests for Powertech tank. Ugh.

Anyway, I hope Bioware takes notice and gives the Merc healers a bit of a buff to be competitive. Having been around MMOs for awhile, I know things eventually balance out so I'm not jumping ship on my main yet... but a Sorc healer is looking very appealing right now.

HellionX
01.18.2012 , 11:04 AM | #2
I would love that to happen as well. Don't hold your breath though. I mothballed my 42 BH healer and re-rolled a sorc ........ I found around 30 that the amount of thisgs you have to do as a healer with the BH was fun, but stupid ... cooldowns and complicated spell rotations for ineffective heals = brutal.

Pitfall_CCN
01.18.2012 , 11:18 AM | #3
I can atest to this. I am a level 50 merc healer and have healed through EV operation and most HM flashpoints. Merc Healing in operations is subpar. We lack the tools a Sorc has, specifically AOE heal and in-combat rezz. Our AOE heal hits 3 randoms, and hell it might hit a person already at full health(errg). However, we heal fine in 4 man flashpoints. But none the less , my alt a sorc is level 40 and trying to get he up to 50 asap. If they would make dual specs more viable I'd keep my merc DPS for PVP and heal for PVE. Instead I'm forced to have 2 characters. fail.

Rafkin
01.18.2012 , 01:44 PM | #4
Maybe the tank was a powertech and didn't want to share drops with a merc healer?

Damukag
01.18.2012 , 01:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Maybe the tank was a powertech and didn't want to share drops with a merc healer?
Then why not an operative?
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of."

-Arthur Dent

Wintor
01.18.2012 , 02:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
I get what you're saying but this wasn't just one LFG request... it was many last night. I've been playing since Christmas and it was the first time I saw this popping up over and over. Could just be a coincidence but I'm wondering if a good number of players are now hitting 50, organizing, and figuring out who the go to classes are already. Kind of reminds me of gearscore but it's class-score.

Anyway, I have a long way to go until 50 and with a little luck a few changes will be made to make non-sorc/sage healers more desirable.

Ecomix
01.18.2012 , 02:46 PM | #7
I play a Juggernaut tank and get tons of requests to tank. I group almost exclusively with Merc/Operative healers. Must be your server.

Wintor
01.18.2012 , 03:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ecomix View Post
I play a Juggernaut tank and get tons of requests to tank. I group almost exclusively with Merc/Operative healers. Must be your server.
Ya and to be fair it was only one night. Maybe just a fluke. It was just last night combined with all the end game reading on here of how Sorc/Sage heals and PT tanks have the advantage got me thinking I may be leveling the wrong guy/s. Again, these were Ops and HMs requests I'm referring to. Everything else was typical tank/healer requests.

Lokiliesmith
01.18.2012 , 03:38 PM | #9
Mercs/commandos do have the tools to be competitive but the most obvious sorc advantages (shield/brez) are just that. Obvious. My shield absorbs almost 4k damage. The merc 5% heal buff offsets that but not in nearly so grand a fashion.

HellionX
01.18.2012 , 03:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wintor View Post
Ya and to be fair it was only one night. Maybe just a fluke. It was just last night combined with all the end game reading on here of how Sorc/Sage heals and PT tanks have the advantage got me thinking I may be leveling the wrong guy/s. Again, these were Ops and HMs requests I'm referring to. Everything else was typical tank/healer requests.
You're fooling yourself if you think that was a fluke.