Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guardian vs Sentinel

MaiYun
01.26.2012 , 07:11 PM | #1
Hi guys,
As this game has been out for over month, some of you probably have good knowledge about classes.

I have couple of questions relating Guardian and Sentinel class and I hope you can help me with them

1. which class is better for PvP and which one for PvE?
2. is Guardian good as DPS? if yes, then how compared to Sentinel
3. what companions are the best for Guardian and Sentinel?
4. which class will you choose and why?
5. any comment?

Thank You Very Much!

Faolon
01.26.2012 , 07:34 PM | #2
Disclaimer: The following is derived from my own opinions and experiences playing a Marauder, Juggernaut and Guardian all to at least the mid 30s(Guardian is currently 40).

Quote: Originally Posted by MaiYun View Post
Hi guys,
As this game has been out for over month, some of you probably have good knowledge about classes.

I have couple of questions relating Guardian and Sentinel class and I hope you can help me with them

1. which class is better for PvP and which one for PvE?
Depends entirely on what you expect from the class. If you want full on domination and ownage, pick something else. Maybe Commando, Merc, Sorc or Sage. Could go Shadow/Assassin if you're dead set on playing Melee.

If you want to work within the class' strengths, either one is fine for both. For PvP, DPS Guardians and all Sentinels are squishy. Squishier than a lot of Sorcs, you'll meet. So you need to play smart.
Tank Guardians are basically Kings and Queens of Huttball. Your mobility and tankishness make you a great ball carrier/protector. Use those strengths to keep your team alive. Taunting someone not attacking you reduces the damage they do to anyone but you by 30%. Add on top of that the 5% dmg reduction of guard plus its 50% damage transference and your friends will love you.

For PvE, you're far more gear dependent than every other class in game. Both your companions and your gear need to be top notch to do well. Get lazy and you'll end up hitting a brick wall somewhere down the line.

Quote:
2. is Guardian good as DPS? if yes, then how compared to Sentinel
It's hard to compare DPS when we've got no meters, but all experienced players tend to agree that both can do amazing DPS when played correctly.
The main different between the two is that Sentinels have group-wise buffs that are amazing. Guardians lack them, but their taunts and guard ability can help on occasion.
However, if you do your job well, not having those buffs wont be a detriment. If you know what you're doing, you'll be amazing with either one.

Quote:
3. what companions are the best for Guardian and Sentinel?
I've found that my Marauder(sentinel mirror) leveled far easier with the Healer companion.
Since Jedi don't get theirs until the late 30s, you'll have to use your droid as a Sentinel if you want the easiest time leveling.

For Guardian it's much the same if you're DPS. Droid for ease of leveling.
Tanks, imo, would benefit more from using a DPS companion like Kira. While you'll have to stop after most fights to heal up, you'll kill things much faster. And really, is it really that big of a deal to have to stop and rest for like 5 seconds?

Quote:
4. which class will you choose and why?
I like both for different reasons.
I like Marauders/Sentinels because of their dual sabers, group buffs and sheer violence of their attacks. When playing a Marauder vs playing a Juggernaut/Guardian, the Marauder's attacks always felt more rapid and wild. However, their lack of useful CC is definitely a down side.
I'm currently sticking with leveling my Guardian before leveling yet another alt and I often find myself missing the group buffs and self heals Sentinels and Marauders get most of all.

I like Guardian because of how versatile I feel. I can go from laying down the hurt(though admittedly minimal hurt as I'm a tank spec) to full on Protector. Not to mention, I've got Force Push. My god do I love Force Push more and more every time I use it. It's like a CC, Interrupt and middle finger all in one. I get to interrupt an attack and send the attacker flying, while annoying the ever living piss out of them, all at the same time.
That choice, though, to be either Tank or DPS is mostly the reason I chose to stick with my Guardian.

I'm currently unsure if I'll make a Sentinel, since I already have a Marauder, Juggernaut and Guardian. I'll probably break down and do it after a while because sometimes I just want to destroy stuff and not give a crap about my teammates.

Quote:
5. any comment?
Seriously, force push is awesome.

Oh also, I just can't stress enough how great the Sentinel's buffs are.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Stevenatoir
01.26.2012 , 08:06 PM | #3
hey man, i made a pvp video of my jedi guardian doing pvp as dps not tank. Check it out and it can help you decide what u want to play a sentinel or guardian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Ffb...1&feature=plcp

Tangenobi
01.26.2012 , 08:13 PM | #4
Don't look for the best look for what style you prefer the most...Both classes has good things and bad tbings about them as stated above
Jedi Sentinel- Tan-jenobi (Tan-Jenobee) Jedi Guardian-GyonGunslinger- BlastmastaJedi Shadow- Ky'zin
Commando- Radonn
Sage- Dartanus

bigfishcjp
01.26.2012 , 09:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Faolon View Post
My god do I love Force Push more and more every time I use it. It's like a CC, Interrupt and middle finger all in one.
I don't play a guardian or juggernaut but this made me laugh thinking, AIN'T THE TRUTH. That and force choke I feel like I'm getting hit by the big "FxCK YOU!" in a cc. Love the way BW did this. I might make another alt!
I am the Law!!