So in the end, what was the Fallen Empire?

gsummers

What exactly is that title referring to? Is it the fact that the Sith Empire fell to Zakuul? Then what about the Republic? If that is the case it should have been titled: Knights of the Fallen Empire and other similar Galactic Governing Institutions.

Is it referring to the Empire of Zakuul? Did Zakuul become a Fallen Empire when the events of the early chapters transpired? Even though Zakuul still rules the galaxy, perhaps it refers to a fallen morality within Zakuul culture. Maybe if that is the case it should have been titled: Knights of the Fallen Empire - a socio-cultural case study of the effects of leadership and droid-dependence.

Or maybe its more meta-physical. Perhaps the Empire refers to a place inside each of us created by our goodwill and teamwork. Now it has Fallen, because, I guess the expansion removed the need for teamwork.

Does anyone have any idea?

Did Zakuul become a Fallen Empire when the events of the early chapters transpired?

Pretty much this, I think. Zakuul fell from "grace" when Arcaan took over. One of my favorite lines ever is when Valkorion said, "You have jealousy, not ambition."

I think the whole issue and problem from a storytelling point of view with KotFE is exactly the "Fallen Empire" bit.

It harks back to the "if a tree falls in the woods and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?"

For the Fallen Empire to have "fallen" we would have needed to know it existed, and we didn't know that until it had fallen.

As a story-telling trope something falling will only be considered a loss if there were people already invested in it - and we weren't.

I don't care if the Zakuulan Empire falls because I wasn't able to care about anything in it because as far as we were all concerned it simply didn't exist.

That is the huge problem Bioware created for themselves when inventing a new entity to be the prime antagonist in KotFE. Said new entity has no lore, it has no history, it has no legacy existing in the galaxy as we know it. Now, there are lore objects scattered around here at there that try and make Zakuul feel important, to make us thing Zakuul had an existence prior to us encountering it - but in the main they fall very, very flat.

And Valkorian's response to Marr when Marr accused him of having his attention diverted to Zakuul that "Zakuul had always been his focus" was probably the best the Bioware writers could manage as a plot device to make Zakuul important, but it was still far, far too weak to bring any meaningful legacy to the Zakuulan empire.

Bioware would have been much better served in making the antagonist for these "Story Seasons" an entity that already had a legacy in the Star Wars galaxy.

All The Best

I'm fairly certain "Knights of the Fallen Empire" refers to the fact that the Outlander killed the Immortal Emperor, Valkorian, which have set these events into motion turning Zakuul into a war-mongering empire. With this change we have seen the fall of the Scions, the fall of the Knights of Zakuul, and the overall decline of Zakuul.

The fallen empire was both the Republic and the empire. Both of those factions fell against Valkorian's faction: The Eternal Empire. The Knights are the new alliance that was formed by the Republic and the empire to rebel against the Eternal Empire because of Valkorian, aka The Emperor.

The fallen empire was both the Republic and the empire. Both of those factions fell against Valkorian's faction: The Eternal Empire. The Knights are the new alliance that was formed by the Republic and the empire to rebel against the Eternal Empire because of Valkorian, aka The Emperor.

So you're saying we were the knights of the fallen empire, so that means we are now the knights of the eternal fleet?

My best estimation, is the name is the dev's team way of letting players know that the game focus has changed from offering a rewarding experience in return for a subscription, to being an excuse to addict people to cartel coins/packs. The Fallen Empire represents what this game was - a subscription based MMO with awesome game play, and that is has fallen to being a few mouse clicks to subjugate a slave class population into serving the "eternal throne" of never ending cartel market driven promotions.

Unless some new plot point arises to prove otherwise, the title's for these expansions are either a subtle hint by a disgruntled employee, or glaring incompetence.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

It's a nice talking point OP. Plus a nice change from the negative threads of late.

So this is not aimed at you OP, but some who have posted here. A lot of you are taking this a little to seriously. lol

For me its just a name and it means whatever any of us want it to mean that's suits our perspective.

I think the whole issue and problem from a storytelling point of view with KotFE is exactly the "Fallen Empire" bit.

It harks back to the "if a tree falls in the woods and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?"

For the Fallen Empire to have "fallen" we would have needed to know it existed, and we didn't know that until it had fallen.

As a story-telling trope something falling will only be considered a loss if there were people already invested in it - and we weren't.

I don't care if the Zakuulan Empire falls because I wasn't able to care about anything in it because as far as we were all concerned it simply didn't exist.

That is the huge problem Bioware created for themselves when inventing a new entity to be the prime antagonist in KotFE. Said new entity has no lore, it has no history, it has no legacy existing in the galaxy as we know it. Now, there are lore objects scattered around here at there that try and make Zakuul feel important, to make us thing Zakuul had an existence prior to us encountering it - but in the main they fall very, very flat.

And Valkorian's response to Marr when Marr accused him of having his attention diverted to Zakuul that "Zakuul had always been his focus" was probably the best the Bioware writers could manage as a plot device to make Zakuul important, but it was still far, far too weak to bring any meaningful legacy to the Zakuulan empire.

Bioware would have been much better served in making the antagonist for these "Story Seasons" an entity that already had a legacy in the Star Wars galaxy.

All The Best

People tend to nitpick things they dislike and give things they like a free pass.

The Sith and Mandalorians are good examples of factions that appeared out of thin air with a backstory tacked on, and at least Zakuul has a logical story, they aren't just another group of homicidal maniacs, they are an actual society with layers and nuances.

This is the first antagonist faction that isn't a bunch of crazy drones, most Zakuul knights hate you because you murdered the emperor, not just because Arcann says so.

Sadly it's impossible to have comics/books about Zakuul like there were about the Sith or the Mandos, so once BW moves on to the next set of baddies they will disappear from the SW universe, instead we will have more crazy homicidal space nazis.

I have wondered from the beginning who the "Knights of the Fallen Empire" are. And I still don't understand.

Fallen Empire = what?

Knights of the Fallen Empire = who?

I would expect that a title of a game refers to the player's perspective. However, the player is the Outlander and there are no Knights in his crew (I don't count some random, nameless Jedi who might be on Odessen).

The Knights are actually in the game, on the Zakuulian side. Why would they be the title of the expansion though?

The answer might be in relation to what someone posted somewhere: Arcann is the protagonist of KotFE and the player is the Antagonist. So the whole expansion has to be viewn from the Zakuulian point of view.

But why would any player do this? I have no empathy for Arcann and neither for his planet. That Zakuulian actress in chapter 14 or 15: I didn't have to think one second about it. I have zero emotional connection to Zakuul.

To sum it up, this is totally baffling me. I don't get it.

Didn't they (i.e. one of the devs) outright state that the title is simply a representative amalgamation of the Empire and the Republic? It didn't make a lot of sense to me since said Knights weren't really of the Empire at all. But in the end it was just supposed to be a representation of both factions as one fallen entity. Now, if only I had a source for this... :confused:

The zakuul empire didn't fall from anything. they are just as powerful if not more powerful.

Except for a huge hunk or the Eternal Fleet destroyed or gone, and half their force wielding knights dead.

Not that either of those things are because of your choices, but they do happen in the course of the story.

What exactly is that title referring to? Is it the fact that the Sith Empire fell to Zakuul? Then what about the Republic? If that is the case it should have been titled: Knights of the Fallen Empire and other similar Galactic Governing Institutions.

Is it referring to the Empire of Zakuul? Did Zakuul become a Fallen Empire when the events of the early chapters transpired? Even though Zakuul still rules the galaxy, perhaps it refers to a fallen morality within Zakuul culture. Maybe if that is the case it should have been titled: Knights of the Fallen Empire - a socio-cultural case study of the effects of leadership and droid-dependence.

Or maybe its more meta-physical. Perhaps the Empire refers to a place inside each of us created by our goodwill and teamwork. Now it has Fallen, because, I guess the expansion removed the need for teamwork.

Does anyone have any idea?

Story is not over yet. Looking for the answer now is premature. It may become very obvious why it was titled as such at the conclusion of the complete storyline.

So...

Knights of The Old Republic = Defenders of a faction against opponent faction during Old Republic Era

Then enemies become allies

Knights of The Fallen Empire = Defenders of both faction( republic and sith empire ) which falling under the threat of Eternal Empire

Knights of The Eternal Throne = Defenders of Eternal Empire against Scorpio?

Welcome to Star Wars: Knights of The Previous Enemies :p

Edited by Ildun

Except for a huge hunk or the Eternal Fleet destroyed or gone, and half their force wielding knights dead.

Not that either of those things are because of your choices, but they do happen in the course of the story.

The Eternal Fleet can be mass produced really really quickly.

The big thing is that Arcann killed almost all the Scions and half the Knights.

That would be like killing three quarters of our Special Forces.

Hmmm, in that analogy would the Scions be Navy or Army?

Edited by AshlaBoga