Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Wopr
10.26.2017 , 07:31 PM | #351
i cancel out just tired of the lies. The high pings now and the legacy unlock lie. Whats next? Tired of this. I'll head back to WoW and give them my money.
W.O.P.R. War Operations Planned Response....Shall we play a game?

TheGreatHambino
10.26.2017 , 08:24 PM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Here’s some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?
Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?
Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isn’t something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?
Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know what’s going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
I think this best describes by feelings about what was written here.
https://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

Darth-Gorog
10.26.2017 , 08:45 PM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
I'm from Australia, East coast for us is bad, connection wise, due to the routes and increased distance across America.
I was fine playing swtor at 200-250ms steady for all activities, and had been for years, but now I'm getting everything from 400-700ms before I even enter a warzone or flashpoint, or do anything at all actually, both of which my game enjoyment just dies from all the rubber banding, lag and 2-4 second delay on what I see on my screen compared to what's actually happening in-game. at a stretch I'd deal fine with a steady 300ms but I like to pvp so anything higher starts really affecting what I can do in the warzones.

it's this that people are getting hot and bothered over xD Im jsut in a ultra disappointed in the devs stage now. I don't get riled up too often, I have my days but usually 2 days later I'm over it and it no longer matters so much, but when it's likely a permanent impact on my gaming experience like this is.. yeah I'm disappointed.
I play from Australia too (well usually I would, this year I have been in Florida, but return home next January) and and got by on the East coast servers by just trying to be predictive with what will happen, which is much easier in a pve scenario than pvp. I can see how it is a considerable issue for us International guys who chose west coast cos it was the closest route home, guess I will have to wait to go back home to see just how terrible it must be now

kimiko_tomiyama
10.26.2017 , 08:48 PM | #354
I should preface my comments with the admission, that I I only tried a west coast server once, even though, being a player living in east Asia, it would likely have made more sense to play there regularly. As I recall, my rates were over 100 then. They have been stable on the east coast servers. Prior to the changes this year it was pretty much around 180 though 300-400 spikes were a fairly common. Post server relocation they have consistently been sitting at 215-220.. So yes my game play has actually been, if not better, more stable.

That being said. How they handled it left a bad taste. It smacks of "We need to set up for maintenance mode. This is going to be unpopular, so let's bury it and hope nobody notices. And if they do just misdirect until the uproar settles." I joined the game right after Hutt cartel came out and, this is the first time I can recall where rather than hyping the next big expansion, they are silent on the issue. "Trust us. It'll be great!" almost never is. Command system is the latest example. Believe me, my anger is long since spent. But in all honesty, I'm trying to find another mmo that suits my tastes before I move on. It was that way with LotRO when they largely went into maintence mode after Rohan dropped.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 09:01 PM | #355
Quote: Originally Posted by TheGreatHambino View Post
I think this best describes by feelings about what was written here.
https://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0
LMAO .. that was priceless
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

Zhedzaban
10.26.2017 , 09:10 PM | #356
Thanks guys for letting me fall in love with your game then in literally one maintenance day you basically tell me you don't want me anymore. I have been a loyal player since launch and a strident defender, but what am I supposed to do when you make it physically impossible to play and enjoy your game?

I understand that cutting the APAC players probably won't hurt the bottom line, but how cold and cruel to just discard a portion of your player base like that. In a game that struggles to keep players it's just hard to fathom why you would do something like this.

My subscription is cancelled, along with thousands of others I imagine. My only hope is that there is a calamitous fall in sub players that causes you to rethink this decision and you put a west coast server back. Not likely I know but hope is all I got.
RIP APAC players, RIP West Coast Players, RIP anyone not living on the East Coast

The United Forces merger disaster, 2017

Keta
10.26.2017 , 09:41 PM | #357
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?
Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

-eric
And just how would i report the doubled ping? Filing a bug report? Sorry my doubled ping makes such a thing an exercise in futility.

Nice going. Just put a disclaimer on the game "Those outside the 48 contiguous United States will not have acceptable performance levels. Go Away." (and that's being generous from what I've seen of reports from the West Coast).

And yes, I understand .. it's cheaper. So is not having a subscription. Aloha.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

Keta
10.26.2017 , 09:42 PM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
Thanks guys for letting me fall in love with your game then in literally one maintenance day you basically tell me you don't want me anymore. I have been a loyal player since launch and a strident defender, but what am I supposed to do when you make it physically impossible to play and enjoy your game?

I understand that cutting the APAC players probably won't hurt the bottom line, but how cold and cruel to just discard a portion of your player base like that. In a game that struggles to keep players it's just hard to fathom why you would do something like this.

My subscription is cancelled, along with thousands of others I imagine. My only hope is that there is a calamitous fall in sub players that causes you to rethink this decision and you put a west coast server back. Not likely I know but hope is all I got.

I live in Hawaii. It's not quite as bad as Australia/NZ etc... but it's usually quite bad. When it's not quite bad it's just bad. I'm not far behind you.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

jockjon
10.26.2017 , 11:57 PM | #359
I'm an Aussie player. I read the posts above and it's all been said. In essence my ping has gone up too much and it is effecting game play. One third of a second is just too much. I've been around since launch and feel Aussies have been treated very poorly. The people in charge continue to show they don't understand their customers. Anyone remember the scrubbed DvL achievement fiasco?

jockjon
10.27.2017 , 12:00 AM | #360
And here's the reply you get to a Ping ticket

Hello,

I’m sorry you’ve had some technical problems with Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

To get back in the game as soon as possible, please try the following steps collected for you by Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations:

• Check that your graphics drivers are up to date, and try a clean installation of your graphics driver:
http://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how...raphics-driver

• Work through the launcher troubleshooting guide to clear up any problems with patching or launching the game:
http://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-w...shooting-guide

• If you’re still having trouble connecting to the game, you’ll find additional help here:
http://help.ea.com/en/article/connec...hooting-basic/

• Check the Star Wars: The Old Republic board on Answers HQ to see if any other players have had the same problem as you:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-T...ld-republic-en

If you’re still having trouble after trying these steps, please contact us again and let us know what you’ve tried.

Galactic Support is our Specialty…

The Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service team.