[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

Hi, First - AWESOME GUIDE!!! :D

Love the guide! But now I have a litle problem, I thinking of swichting from Biochem to armsmech on my Trooper(Commando), But will it be worth it in the endgame? will I have use of it?

And if I want to play alot of PvP will it be so smart to change from reuseble adreanalins to PvE gear?? Or can you make PvP gear at max skill in armsmech? :o

Hope someone helps me out with my toughts and so... ^^

General feeling is stick with bio-chem for now as Armormech/armstech, seem only good for lvling. The best gear atm comes from pve hardmodes, and upper reaches of pvp gear. I am an armor and love it but i know when i pvp sometimes want those reusables. If you want to do armor just make an alt for it, what i did with bio.

Edited by Necodreus

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General feeling is stick with bio-chem for now as Armormech/armstech, seem only good for lvling. The best gear atm comes from pve hardmodes, and upper reaches of pvp gear. I am an armor and love it but i know when i pvp sometimes want those reusables. If you want to do armor just make an alt for it, what i did with bio.

Thanks for the tips, my Commando is still only lvl 29, so I would have us for it while lvl and to give to compaions, I don't think I will have the time or energi to do high end pve stuff :p But will I have any use of it in end game at all (gess I would do most Pvp and some flashpoints and so in end game)? or would I just make a bad decision? :o

Hi, First - AWESOME GUIDE!!! :D

Love the guide! But now I have a litle problem, I thinking of swichting from Biochem to armsmech on my Trooper(Commando), But will it be worth it in the endgame? will I have use of it?

And if I want to play alot of PvP will it be so smart to change from reuseble adreanalins to PvE gear?? Or can you make PvP gear at max skill in armsmech? :o

Hope someone helps me out with my toughts and so... ^^

I can't really give advice on which crew skill is the most useful, only which companions are best at doing certain crew skills.

People say biochem is the best and logically it makes sense. Biochem also is not a terrible choice for troopers bonus-wise. It's not what I'd choose but it's certainly acceptable.

Thanks for the tips, my Commando is still only lvl 29, so I would have us for it while lvl and to give to compaions, I don't think I will have the time or energi to do high end pve stuff :p But will I have any use of it in end game at all (gess I would do most Pvp and some flashpoints and so in end game)? or would I just make a bad decision? :o

End game is mostly your dailies, HM Fp, NMM fp, Ops, World boss's, Space combat, Pvp, and playing alts if none of that interests you. So if you like alts and going to make another trooper/smuggler you can change if you wish to gear them up and companions, it gets more worth it.

I would read slaigns reverse engineer thread though to see if you want to really get involved with the current craziness of REing to get better items. Its a huge money time sink and can get fustrating especially when you have RE'd something 100+ times for that one T2 item u want and keep getting "you already know this schematic" (saying you have learned one already and its not the one you want but the game keeps it on the RNG so u learn it over and over.) With 80 or so schems, each of them RE into 3 other types, and those 3 into 5 others for a total of 15, Its fustrating lol.. :)

Theres no good answer just how u want to play

Factual Error:

ArmorMech does NOT use luxury fabrics as far as I can tell. It only uses underworld metals.

Quibble:

Artifice also provides an epic Relic in the endgame (in addition to the epic lightsabers).

Additional:

At tier 6, treasure hunting may also provide orange crystals.

Note:

It is worth noting that Treasure Hunting lockboxes can provide prototype quality gear on a critical result (although a sum of cash a little less than that invested is more normal).

Edited by Tuhalu

Factual Error:

ArmorMech does NOT use luxury fabrics as far as I can tell. It only uses underworld metals.

Quibble:

Artifice also provides an epic Relic in the endgame (in addition to the epic lightsabers).

Additional:

At tier 6, treasure hunting may also provide orange crystals.

Note:

It is worth noting that Treasure Hunting lockboxes can provide prototype quality gear on a critical result (although a sum of cash a little less than that invested is more normal).

1. Thanks, I am surprised I did not notice this. I was certain cunning armor used fabrics, I'll edit this immediately.

2. I haven't really covered what professions have in the endgame. I'll edit this in at some point, probably when I have better information regarding all crew skills.

3. See above.

4. I'm didn't cover this directly but I was assuming this was a given. I'll edit this in at some point. All missions can crit, including lockboxes.

Many items require vendor-bought materials. If you ever see white quality items needed for crafting, they are available on crew skill vendors which are on practically every planet in the game. You can also do gathering missions for them if you feel like saving a small amount of money, or would like some without heading to an outpost.

Actually, these missions can be quite lucrative if you go after the rich missions for them.

For instance, as a Scavenger at 400, I am able to send my companions on a Rich: Thermoplast Flux mission. For ~2000 credits I can get back something like 32-48 Fluxes. They cost 400 credits each. So I save at least 14000 credits each and every time! It's hard to beat that.

I think scavenging (and hence armormech, armstech and cybertech) has the only max-level rich mission for that kind of thing, but it's certainly not something you should ignore. I've certainly saved hundreds of thousands of credits that way already.

4. I'm didn't cover this directly but I was assuming this was a given. I'll edit this in at some point. All missions can crit, including lockboxes.

Yes, my point was more that the varying mission skills give varying results on their lockboxes. It may be just luck on my part, but Treasure Hunting lockboxes tend to give armor far more frequently than the Slicing Lockboxes. That may be because Treasure Hunting simply has more variety of Lockbox missions than Slicing, making it easier to go after the Abundant Lockbox missions.

Edited by Tuhalu

New information on an upcoming companion:

It appears HK-51 will become a companion come patch 1.3. Before, his bonuses were +2 crit artifice and +2 crit cybertech, but we'll soon find out if they still are. He was also a tank that used an aim rifle/pistol. I'll update this thread as soon as I have more confirmed details.

What 3 skills would you recommend for a Bounty Hunter profit?

Great guide -- Just wish I had seen it before I finished leveling my first character's skills

From a maximum profit standpoint, my advice isn't very useful because I am not completely certain which ones will give you the best gains. From a crew skill bonus standpoint, I personally took slicing, treasure hunting, and underworld trading. These three are sound but, I am not sure if they are the absolute maximum profits.

This is exactly what I was looking for! I was already starting to compile a list of the best crafting skills based on class/companions, really glad someone already did all the work for me. Very, very nice.

i was doing the same thing when i stumbled on to this page, glad i found it and great work. looked all over for this info. btw i noticed you didnt list the smuggler on the overall section for slicing, with a companion that has a +1 crit.

Hey, great guide. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

What three skills would you recommend for a Consular if you also wanted some decent profit?

I can't really give you advice on which skills will make you the most money, as I've said before. As for which skills will give you the best bonuses, please refer to my guide. Thank you for your interest.

i was doing the same thing when i stumbled on to this page, glad i found it and great work. looked all over for this info. btw i noticed you didnt list the smuggler on the overall section for slicing, with a companion that has a +1 crit.

I don't understand what you mean... the +1 crit is not better than the alternatives which is why it is not listed there. Unless you meant something else? Could you send me a PM with specific info, preferably with the specific section it's missing from? Thanks.

I added gathering and mission skills to the critical crew skill lists on the guide. Hope it helps you! It also sheds some light on Imperial side -- while they may not have all the maxed out critical crafting skills, they do seem to have a ton of high critical gathering and mission skills.

Awesome guide!

I have a 34 Mercenary DPS with Cybertech, Scavenging, and Underworld Trading, but I find I don't really like crafting. None of those 3 are maxed, but Scavenging is about 270. My question is, how time consuming/difficult is it if I change to a profiteering setup (using Slicing, Treasure Hunting, and Underworld Trading) or maybe going with a Biochem setup?

I'm mainly thinking of changing to Biochem because Diplomacy interests me for the Dark side/Light side points.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've cancelled my account and likely will not be resubscribing for a while. I may post this on another website (such as gamefaqs) and link this there, so I can keep it updated. Unless there is a major update that adds new companions or has their bonuses changed, this thread will remain accurate regardless.

If worst comes to worst I may let someone else update this while I'm gone.

Best of luck to everyone on their Star Wars adventures.

Edited by TheRealBowser

TheRealBowser, I would be lying if I said I wasnt a little sad that you are moving on to greener pastures. The SWTOR community has lost a great contributor.

Thank you for developing this guide, having the patience and kindness to respond to almost everyone's questions and suggestions, and finally for encouraging other members to contribute to the discussion.

If and when you return, please let us know.

Best wishes and good luck!

Edited by HellfireMS

TheRealBowser, I would be lying if I said I wasnt a little sad that you are moving on to greener pastures. The SWTOR community has lost a great contributor.

Thank you for developing this guide, having the patience and kindness to respond to almost everyone's questions and suggestions, and finally for encouraging other members to contribute to the discussion.

If and when you return, please let us know.

Best wishes and good luck!

I really appreciate it. My account hasn't cancelled yet and I'm toying with the idea of sticking around. But don't get your hopes up. My problem wasn't that I was moving on to greener pastures so much as I'm losing interest in the MMO genre altogether, and my schedule had been a lot busier. But now I'm back to having a lot of free time, and I'm already starting to miss this game, so I may or may not quit. I originally planned on it but ... now I'm not so sure. This game was and still is extremely promising.

Either way, I genuinely, deeply appreciate this. And it was my pleasure to help you guys with this guide.

Edited by TheRealBowser