RP-PvP "Lord Calypho" - Excluded from Transfers...

LovarBoy

Having read the posts on this topic, I too would like to add my voice to this ongoing concern.

I would strongly urge Bioware to allow people from Lord Calypho to transfer to Progenitor. The consequences of this happening will simply be that I will stop subscribing and will tell others (potential customers) of the customer service I have received from BW.

I also imagine that the negative impact this will have on other players will be reflected in gaming websites, forums and magazines and I would seriously recommend that Bioware does not consider tarnishing its painstakingly well built image for quality gaming experiences.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As background, the Character Transfer Service is intended to offer players an opportunity to move to a pre-selected single server that provides for a better gameplay experience via a higher population.

Just like I've said. They have no tech to allow multiple destinations.

And the choice was REALLY simple.

Can you RP on a PvP server ? YES.

Can you PvP on a PvE server ? NO.

Hence PvP gets a priority. Simple as that.

Edited by Rogoo

this response makes me feel like iv wasted time lvling characters and legacy im intrested in RP more than PVP and have no intrest to go to a PVP server with all the potential griefing so now im stuck on a dead server which means there's no real incentive to play the game.

How long do we have to wait for the next phase of character transferes which im guessing will be the payed transferes

tbh i'm sure most people wouldnt have minded if you had altered your policy for us as it is a unique situation

all in all this just feel's like a kick in the teeth :(

Since our policy for Free Character Transfers is to only allow one destination server per origin server, we had to decide: will we allow these players to transfer to an RP-PvE server or a PvP server?

That's too bad, these servers were a special case, the policies should have accomodated them.

The problem here and what Bioware, neither other companies noticed is that if you put the hardcore people over the loyal people who likes your game

Loyal, and hardcore... that is what Bioware fans are,... i am one since i did put on a nice belt i got and was turned into a women... so well, i dont like this policy of non-information.

Why is it not possible to make things clear:

This is the transferphase which is free, every server has exactly one target.

If we enable some other target, that will cost monkey money, so there is no reason to wait, move on, you get population and bananas. You can late go to the kind of monkeys you like, but that will not be possible now and/or for free.

I could deal with that. Now i just have no real knowledge it that is all we ever get in this *phase*, how should i decide? I could risk to play with Mr. Murphey's law... i decide, well now i transfer... and then the second i did so, BW make a communique: Hey now the population of Lord Calypho has a second target enabled, a rp/pve server.

Could you please make a statement, if that is all we get? Many of the rp'er of the server are in a limbo, we would like to have answers, so we can decide what we care about more and ensure the worst case i did mention above does not take place, to be stuck on a sever we dont really want to go to, and then have to pay to get characters we did invest much time in over the last half year or even more... off them to a place we think is more suited for our *gameplay experience*.

I am aware that rp'er are a minority. But they are the ones that add content to the game, enable events, not mere consumers, they give immersion for people who like to have more. And yes those on the 3 EU pvp/rp severs wanted to have it all, PvE, PvP and RP. I feel that this *hardcore* group gets punished, and like a big bank has the tendency not to care about the guy who has an account there since he was a kid and brought his first piggy with coins there... *loyal* customers... that is on some layer very wrong. RP should be enabled, especially from a company that did mostly make games for this genre.

The IGN interview i read recently did point to *we know, to survive in the hard mmog market, we need to have an excellent product, just to make it free, does not make it good, we want to make an innovative game and get as many player types as we can, add more and more content, make it unique*... was that totally wrong?

So please, have the decency and tell us, the small *hardcore* and *loyal* customers that choose to go to a very specific type of server with something in mind. The statement made here earlier on, *oh in the beginning there was no distinction between pvp and pvp/rp* which was pointed out several times*... is just plain... no we are here, deal with it. How come the people who did not transfer yet are for a majority the *hardcore* of the roleplayer? They care so much about their characters and want to enable them the best possible solution... we want to add further to the experience of the server we use. Many fear that Nadd, from which i just heard bad stories, this is surly hearsay, but i think it might not be that far from what i might *experience* there, is just not a place we can continue to do *our* thing, to *roleplay*. But most people i did talk to told me, they wont need much, but all, ALL, want to know what Bioware, a complany we all hold in high regards, decides happens with our server, will be be able to go nowhere else than to a PvP destination anytime soon? Then we can deal with it. Some will never buy a bioware game at all and burn their collectors edition box and put Malgus in Barbie clothes... some will say, fine, now i know, i got to a sever who does not respect my niche, but i will endure, i am *hardcore* and *loyal* to my character. Many of us are StarWars fans, geeks, nerds, we love this game, its a dream come true, and we wont let the complany or others ruin it for us. We will endure. But we need to know.

That much for a *hardcore* and *loyal* customer. I tell you now, i stay on this game till you close the servers for good. I am that kind of person.

But please, tell me, what's going on Bioware?

But I have one question. Can you reveal anything about the next stage of the transfers? I mean, I think our guild is going to transfer to the Progenitor anyway, regardless of the transfers, starting from scratch, and if there is even a slight chance I would be able to get my toons there at a later point, I would not start again with my main. If that is not clear enough, let me just put it straight: I don't want to waste the 15 days of play time I've spent on my character, will there be a chance to get him to the Progenitor later?

Since they called this as the "initial phase" and on many occasions they said the character transfer will have less restrictions in the future, I can answer this as: Yes, in the future, I think you will be able to transfer to Progrinator, even if you can not do it currently. If you ask when, well they did not say anything about the timeframe.

I would suggest make your next alts in the server you want to play, but don't start your main from scratch. And when the next transfer phase begins, you can move your main as well.

Agreed.

I think the problem is at first glance to someone who doesn't RP a PvP server makes more sense because of the ruleset. But the problem is a lot of role players are role players first and PvP players second (not all, but a lot). So a PvP server is not desirable in the slightest to those people.

Basically, I'll re-roll on a RP server before I'll transfer regardless of how bad things get.

I respect your assessment and your decision.

I, however, will not re-roll anywhere. I've already been through that once, since my initial server was dead at three months in, and transfers weren't even discussed seriously until six months. I wasn't about to play with myself on a dead server for months on end waiting for a resolution that ultimately came three months later.

I will not start over again. And I shouldn't have to. None of us should. Sure, by forcing us to re-roll and start from scratch, they get more playtime, and thus more money, out of us. But it's scam that I won't fall for. I'm done being had.

And the option of staying, when there are very few people left, certainly not enough to consistently be able to enter WZ's or HM FPs or Ops with any regularity, is ludicrous.

I read the Dev post. And I appreciate that at least something concrete was finally said. But it's what I feared: They made an arbitrary rule, and, when it didn't fit every situation, they chose the rule over the satisfaction of and fairness to a select group of players. End of story. They made their choice, and in so doing, they've made mine for me as well.

And I won't be the only one who exits stage left over this. And when they continue these kinds of policies, all they'll ultimately be left with is a small group of hardcore players that themselves leave as soon as the next AAA MMO is released. And what could have been a great game will flounder and die like a beached whale. All I can hope for is that it takes Bioware and EA down with it, as I have lost all respect for both.

/unsubbed in disgust

For players that feel that the RP-PvP experience is more important, there is no requirement to leave the RP-PvP server, and we encourage players who prefer the RP-PvP playstyle to continue playing on these servers.

Please keep in mind that this is all part of our initial phase of the Character Transfer Service and that we will be monitoring the situation closely on these three servers going forward. Your feedback is very important and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts during the process.

Thanks Joveth for the post, at least we do know that its being looked at and that is somewhat reassuring.

I would say, that the quote above is where your problem lies, the players who sought a PVP ruleset overall or who felt that a high population was preferable have now moved to the PVP only server, I'm sure they thank you for the opportinity and are more happy now.

The unfortunate truth of that story however is that there are a set of players left over who are now on a server which at peak has 50 players on the sith side total, who in the above you're basicaly telling to "continue playing" on a server less populated than the area surrounding Chernobyl?

For some of your players the RP outweights the PVP in the title, while we all apreciate its just two letters it also tends to attract the kind of player I like to be in game with. I rolled a toon on a pure PVP server and within 4 levels had seen the word "noob" used half a dozen times in general chat...in 6 months on the RP server I've not seen the word used once, in any channel.

I guess we're back to the start again and asking the same question - will it be possible to transfer at some point (be that phase 2 or 47) to a RP-PVE server, or an east coast RP-PVP server? As thats the transfer I think the RP community needs. Until that time we're stuck with no community, no chance of doing anything in game and our only option is to start again on a more populated server from scratch, which I certainly am not prepared to do.

Thanks for your post, could BW have a think about this over the next few days and let us have a definative answer with a timescale around it please?

Since our policy for Free Character Transfers is to only allow one destination server per origin server, we had to decide: will we allow these players to transfer to an RP-PvE server or a PvP server?

Joveth: Is the limitation due to policy, or an actual technical limitation (i.e., the system does not support multiple destinations per origin server at this time)?

Policy is something that can and should be changed, or include occasional exceptions, when there are good and compelling reasons to do so. An exception has already been made both to "Transfers will always be within the same region" (Ajunta Pall to Jung Ma) and "Transfers will always respect a server's playstyle designation" (EU RP-PvP to EU PvP servers). I don't see why, if the limitation is simply one of policy and not technical feasibility, another exception is not being considered at this time. After all, as the saying goes: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Please keep in mind that this is all part of our initial phase of the Character Transfer Service and that we will be monitoring the situation closely on these three servers going forward. Your feedback is very important and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts during the process.

While I understand the need for caution in making statements concerning the development team's future plans and decisions, what you're saying here effectively puts the primarily RP segment of the affected server populations in limbo. If an acceptable solution is coming down the line fairly soon, those players would be foolish to transfer to the current destination servers now, with no guarantee that their decision could be reversed when the new option becomes available.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate a little more transparency about the process and what options are being considered for the future.

Hi folks,

I just wanted to take some time to address the folks that have been disappointed with the decision to allow transfers from the European RP-PvP servers to a destination PvP server. As background, the Character Transfer Service is intended to offer players an opportunity to move to a pre-selected single server that provides for a better gameplay experience via a higher population. When we initially came up with the list of destination servers, we wanted to match each origin server up to a similar playstyle destination server. This obviously worked with the majority of servers. However, due to smaller demand for the playstyle, there was only one RP-PvP server per language when the game went live.

We wanted to maintain this type of server as an option for players and we felt that the current players that were already on these servers (who specifically selected an RP-PvP playstyle) didn’t want to change that, so we left them untouched. However, after the character transfer service process began, we immediately saw that many players on European RP-PvP servers wanted to have the option to move to a higher population server.

Due to the fact that PvE and PvP are two fundamentally different server rulesets, the choice to open PvP server destinations made the most sense. The game does impose different rules on players on PvE and PvP servers, but there are currently no rules enforced for RP players – the designation is there to indicate to players who prefer to roleplay that a server is a good choice for them.

For players that feel that the RP-PvP experience is more important, there is no requirement to leave the RP-PvP server, and we encourage players who prefer the RP-PvP playstyle to continue playing on these servers.

I see a lot of words here.. the problem is you don't bother to answer the pressing question. Will we be able at some some point to transfer to an RP server (eg. the Progenitor) without having to use paid transfers. Yes or No?

Yes or No.

I appreciate you taking the time to write out this strategic and diplomatic statement but you fail to address the only issue a lot of us care about.

If the answer is no then fine, we'll deal with it. I might not bother playing until you sort out your system, but I'll deal with it. We deserve a straight answer, and this wasn't it.

as much as I like to flame BioWare like there is no tomorrow i have a question. Say if I transfer my whole legacy to TOFN right now, will I get a 2'nd free transfer to The Progenitor at some point? - this is a serious question and might get me to resubscribe again.

I know many, many people and entire guilds that already transfered to TOFN with exactly that in mind and advocating for it in general over and over hoping and waiting to jump ships as soon as you "invent" multiple server choises when transfering.. btw, you seriously saying this was a decision based on you BioWare for not having the tech.. I got that choise in Vanguard for crying out loud, a game developed by Sigil games, sold from microsoft to SOE.. who brought us the NGE.. . a company that laid off almost their entire staff at a parking lot.. seriously..*phew*

Further .. when people started this game they had a MYRIAD of servers to choose from but every single one of them selected RP-PvP as their most favorable one- The RP means a lot more that the PvP tag, and let's face it, this game has no open world pvp. Ilum was a fiasco at launch and even a bigger fiasco as you BioWare tried to fix it leaving us the players nothing but WZ q's.. wich everyone on Lord Calypho would still have access to on The Progenitor... leaving the RP crowd in the dust in a mmoRPg made by you BioWare with the intent to reinvent the RP part of mmoRPg.

I love tons of your games BioWare, all rpg's and played em a lot since the early days. I have faith, please show your customers some respect and do the right thing- and if that means "transfer by ticket" I'll wait in line with the rest of the Lord Calypho crowd - copy/paste us, please :rak_03:

You encourage them how exactly? By having the server bleed more and more people to other servers? By deciding to allow transfers FROM them and not TO them? Please, do explain how you encourage people to stay, because the actions last taken by Bioware prove the exact opposite. You actually tore the community to bits, you forced people to leave, even if indirectly, by letting them "choose" between an unwanted destination and a dead server.

They say hope dies last. Those RP'ers who actually did transfer away against their will are still hoping to receive a free transfer from ToFN to a RP one. That will be the only way to rectify the huge mess Bioware made. Though hope does die eventually. So, if this doesn't occur swiftly enough, people will stop caring and migrate to other games.

But yes, let's hope. One last time.

Edited by Kiyosa

Sod hope and wishing for miracles. If the end result of all this is that we are going to have to pay for transfers then at least let us do this now. Let us move at least one or two characters to an RP server where we can actually play rather than leaving us festering in the dust like this.

There were 6 level 50 characters on the entire server on the Empire side when I just logged off, explain to me Bioware how exactly we are supposed to do Ops or PVP? We might be RPers but we do enjoy the rest of your game.

Edited by Ellren

I thought you said that our situation was unique and that this requiered a specialized sollution. I guess it still is tho since this is the only server where you've screwed over half the population of the server.

May I congratulate the dev team on the uniqueness of your sollution and maybe next you want to create a uniqe update I could suggest only giving it to the larger of the 2 factions.

If I remember correctly the Rp'ers fought for the RP-PVP server because they thought the PVP aspect was important to them. They were not content to be on just a regular RP server. They wanted their own guild deployment to these RP-PVP servers. Guess what?

Bioware gave in and provided these for you. So in retrospect I can see why they came to the conclusion that PVP was important to you all and designated the servers to which you may go.

I don't have a dog in this hunt since I am not on one of these affected servers, but I still feel compelled to reply... I think Bioware can do a better job of handling this situation. The solution is obvious: open transfers off of the RP-PVP servers to a choice of two destinations (one RP-PVE and one PVP). It sounds like the only thing stopping Bioware from applying the correct and proper solution to the problem is their "policy." It's sends a bad message that Bioware is willing to allow "policy" to get in the way of players' enjoyment of the game.

I don't have a dog in this hunt since I am not on one of these affected servers, but I still feel compelled to reply... I think Bioware can do a better job of handling this situation. The solution is obvious: open transfers off of the RP-PVP servers to a choice of two destinations (one RP-PVE and one PVP). It sounds like the only thing stopping Bioware from applying the correct and proper solution to the problem is their "policy." It's sends a bad message that Bioware is willing to allow "policy" to get in the way of players' enjoyment of the game.

Or they haven't found a solution on how to assign a choice of destinations to multiple servers. Which why would there be a need for this in the future? This free transfer is a batch process.

Any future transfers will be to only one designated server and handled individually. Giving people a choice, they would have to individually go in and assign each person their choice of server and I don't think they want to pay someone for a player to have his choice of servers.

WOW's transfer system works in the same way. When they offer free transfers it is one server to another designated server. Paid transfers are handled individually.

So unless BW is trying to implement programming to allow for this choice of multiple destinations. (By multiple I mean any server available) I don't see this happening.

Or they haven't found a solution on how to assign a choice of destinations to multiple servers. Which why would there be a need for this in the future?

Paid server transfers. No one is going to pay if they cannot choose their destination server. So, the routine will get programmed anyway - if it isn't already in place.

And the people complaining NOW aren't necessarily the same people who clamoured for RP-PVP servers, so your previous argument is moot.

Yes, they have said paid transfers to a server of your choice is coming in the future, so they plan to have the tech for it eventually if they don't have it already.

If it is currently a technical limitation preventing them from allowing two destination servers, they should say so and give some indication that they will have a better solution in the future when the tech is available. Instead they are just leaning on "policy" as a weak explanation for why they can't solve this situation properly.

Yes, they have said paid transfers to a server of your choice is coming in the future, so they plan to have the tech for it eventually if they don't have it already.

If it is currently a technical limitation preventing them from allowing two destination servers, they should say so and give some indication that they will have a better solution in the future when the tech is available. Instead they are just leaning on "policy" as a weak explanation for why they can't solve this situation properly.

Policy is a good ground to stand upon. While the RP'ers have the own proplem with not being allowed to choose a choice of servers. There is another group who have characters on multiple servers that would like to consolidate them to one server but do not have that option at this time.

If they allow one group to do it, then they would have to let everyone do it. I myself would like to move my PVP Imperial to join my PVE republic character on the same server? Is this going to happen. Not in this stage of the transfers.

What other stages will there be? We have to wait and see. But hey I think they should have waited until they had a fully functional transfer system before letting anyone transfer. When would this be? December???

Edited by Ranid

This is a special situation since there is only one RP-PVP server for each language, and ergo no clear-cut choice of destination server.

So, please, stop derailing the discussion by comparing apples to pears.

Everyone believes their own circumstances are a special situation. A transfer by any other name is still just a transfer.

The clear cut destination server is the one they chose for you, just like they chose the one for me. No one else got a choice why do you think you deserve one.

A Yellow posted an answer that was asked for, the fact is you didn't like the answer. The only option is to wait and see what the next phase of transfers is going to be.

I for one hope it is paid transfers because I want to get my Imperial on the same server as my republic as soon as possible.

http://www.foodnewsie.com/pearapple-cross-breed-or-mutant

Edited by Ranid

This is a special situation since there is only one RP-PVP server for each language, and ergo no clear-cut choice of destination server.

So, please, stop derailing the discussion by comparing apples to pears.

I think saying that there is one RP-PvP server per language is a bit of a misnomer. I'm sure the number of languages spoken on those servers are MUCH more than just 3. Which is why I think it would have affected very little to combine them, yet give the RPers more people to RP with.

Just as you can't PvP without others, you can't RP without others, too.

Again, just an observation and opinion, don't flame me.

Edited by JeramieCrowe