Taugrim's Guide to Trooper Vanguard Mechanics and PVP

taugrimtaugrim

I have been pvping with the 4/6/31 all out DPS spec and I just love it.

I am thinking of going with the Elimator champ set though as I notice that so much of my damage is from HiB and not stockstrike

Any thoughts?

Check out the decision tree for set bonuses:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#pvp-gear

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking of going with the Elimator champ set though as I notice that so much of my damage is from HiB and not stockstrike. I tend to skirt around the edges of combat so I dont stock strike that much.

I chose the Battlemaster Eliminator gear for the reason you say - most of the damage from a heavy assault spec is HIB.

To be focused on the Shockstrike bonus on Combat Tech, you need to be running Iron Fist, and be prepared to be in melee range all of the time. However, Combat Tech 2 piece bonuses are quite good of themselves.

I just want to thank Taugrim for the IronFist spec. I had been running with something similar to the Parakeet build but it just didn't quite do it for me.

The Ironfist spec not only allows me run with a spec that fits my playstyle, but helps me kill players so fast that I am actually able to taunt them and talk $|-|it (./say) as I kill them.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention to have fellow Vanguards bad mouth Imperials, but I'm killing them...so...it's not exactly the worse thing that's happening at the momment. :D

I'm kinda new to the Vanguard (lvl 42 now). I've been a BM Jugg and a full champ Op. I love the play style of the class. Once I reach BM on my jugg it was pointless playing him, so all I do now is the dailies to finish up his BM set. He's still a blast to play, but I've been thoroughly enjoying the Vanguard so much.

Anyway I started off with a full Assault build, and although I was having some issues with Ammo, I was pretty much owning in the WZs. I decided though to try some other combos out. I've been trying to go with the Run and Gun spec you've got there in your guide. But been finding it a little weak and a lot more fragile that my previous spec. I think that may have to do with the fact that I'm not 50 yet s can't maximise it's strengths fully, also I went 23 points in tactics first to get HTL, that might not be the best way for a non 50 to spec up, maybe going 18 in Assault first then build up your tactics tree would have been better.

I think I'll go back to my first spec of full assault for now, but when I hit 50 probably going to switch to Iron fist, as I'll need the survivability since I'll be wearing paper against the geared imps I've been playing alongside on my Jugg.

I've been trying to go with the Run and Gun spec you've got there in your guide. But been finding it a little weak and a lot more fragile that my previous spec. I think that may have to do with the fact that I'm not 50 yet s can't maximise it's strengths fully, also I went 23 points in tactics first to get HTL, that might not be the best way for a non 50 to spec up, maybe going 18 in Assault first then build up your tactics tree would have been better.

Run and Gun doesn't really work until you can get both HTL and IA, which requires 21 + 18 = 49 points, or level 48.

Yeah I was definately seeing that as I was trying it out, it just wasn't working for me, really missed my incinerate opener, was trying to open with gut instead but when harpoon is on CD that was getting tough, I have no idea why I felt more squishy though as neither spec should have helped with surviability.

in your opinion what is the best spec to leveling up with for a guy like me who enjoys his fair share of PVP and doesn't want to have to continually respec everytime he wants to go back to a bit of leveling ?

I'm a gnatt's hair away from 43, btw.

in your opinion what is the best spec to leveling up with for a guy like me who enjoys his fair share of PVP and doesn't want to have to continually respec everytime he wants to go back to a bit of leveling?

Assault Spec running Ion Cell, IMO.

Great DPS, the survivability of Ion Cell, plus Guard for PvP and your companion. The only time it might not work out is if you're grouped and the tank is having trouble holding aggro over your amazing DPS.

In that case switch to one of other cells. Probably Plasma Cell due to the fact that Assault Spec forces one to spec into Sweltering Heat to advance up the tree and pick up High Friction Bolts.

Great DPS, the survivability of Ion Cell, plus Guard for PvP and your companion. The only time it might not work out is if you're grouped and the tank is having trouble holding aggro over your amazing DPS.

Guard doesn't seem to work on Elara, last time I tried in terms of the damage transfer.

Is it working now?

in your opinion what is the best spec to leveling up with for a guy like me who enjoys his fair share of PVP and doesn't want to have to continually respec everytime he wants to go back to a bit of leveling ?

I'm a gnatt's hair away from 43, btw.

Once you can put 18 into Assault Spec for full Ionic Accelerator, Assault Spec really comes into its own.

Same for 21-23 in Shield Spec.

Tactics tree is the most flexible secondary tree in terms of tree-pairing, because of the low-hanging fruit in the bottom 3 tiers.

Go Assault Spec if you want to pewpew.

Go Shield Spec if you want to bang and zoom.

Updated the specs for Iron Fist 25/14/2 and Carolina Parakeet 21/2/18:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#specs

In both cases, basically I made sure to max out Shield Cycler, given the longer time-to-kill with the nerf to Surge Rating in 1.1.3. "Mana" regen is now more important than it was previously, as combat outcomes take longer to resolve.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the Guide for 1.1.5:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/

1. updated the Iron Fist spec to move the point in Retractable Blade (Gut) to Prototype Cylinders (Blaster Augs)

2. added the 4/12/25 spec, which a top-flight Vanguard named Omegix uses on our server. While you give up Burnout and Assault Plastique in the build, keep in mind that AP competes with SS and IP for the GCD when you're <= 10m from the target, and the latter have higher priority due to the cooldown reset of HIB. You also get the interrupt on 6-sec cooldown with the spec