Marriage and kids?

Yermog

Images of the spouses teaching their kids "skills" are now floating through my head...

Mako: "Okay, honey, now when you want to hack into government bases, you have to remember that they're always double encrypted..."

Malavi: "Alright, you seem to have memorized how to properly address all of the Sith Lords. Now let's move on to- don't you DARE set me on fire again!" (I think he'd secretly be a hard-***, despite the SW being in charge.)

Corso: "Now, aim straight ahead, focus on their nose, and imagine that they're a magnet for the blaster bullet. Good job, sweetie!"

Vette: "Remember, always hide the card in your BOOT. They'll be watching your sleeves..."

Oh, the lessons just go on and on...

You forgot the best one of all: HK-51.

Advisement: When utilizing a Sniper Rifle, remember to choose a holographic scope setup. Next, aim your reticule at the organic troublemakers vital organ, and-there you go, fantastic job! Now I will go ask Doctor Archiban to fix Sergeant Rusk's spleen.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think this could be a really nice addition to a future expansion.

I think a post like this could be posted in the Suggestion Box in General Discussion. Hopefully they'd see it! :D

Edited by Swedguy

"No, that is the ship's exit, not a slide! We're in the middle of space!"

"Gault, could you please go sleep in the cargo hold? The kids think you're a devil!"

*At the Imperial Fleet* "No, that's not a toy, that's the torpedo fire button! No! NOOOO!!!"

I would really love having little kids in my D5-Mantis.

I think that realistically having a family and children would be an implementable option for an expansion...it would be a simple enough storyline to create that is cantered around your family being killed/kidnapped and you going off to rescue them.

I think itll be mainly through legacy system (atleast, i will do that)

Plus, im not sure i want a bunch of little Sithlings running around.

and im not sure i can abopt with mine.. its the inquisitor romance "Ashara Zavros". Shes togruta, so no one can play her race... But uh, children is possible.. because.. umm.. we.. expressed our love.. physically...(its funny, the cutscene afterwords she was putting her clothes back on humming the imperial march song)

It is a subject im a bit neutral on... it be fun to imagine, but weird to put together. Hope that makes sense.

I had a very good laugh at that actually when she started humming the imperial march song! as for the initial subject, I do think it could be cool if we have a story evolving around having to rescue them etc...

I think that realistically having a family and children would be an implementable option for an expansion...it would be a simple enough storyline to create that is cantered around your family being killed/kidnapped and you going off to rescue them.

Hehe... This just in! To promote SW:TOR's expansion, Liam Neeson has returned to Stars Wars in a spin named "Taken 3: Star Wars Edition!"

In seriousness, I would love to see this.. but it most likely will never happen. Sure there is talk about passing legacy to romance companions, and platonic companions expressing interest in supporting such legacy. But I really think it was "closure" talk. We really don't know if there will ever be rich companion interaction again... least not with the current companions. If we get that in a timely manner, then force-sensitive toddlers crawling around the shp would be fun to see.

Hehe... This just in! To promote SW:TOR's expansion, Liam Neeson has returned to Stars Wars in a spin named "Taken 3: Star Wars Edition!"

In seriousness, I would love to see this.. but it most likely will never happen. Sure there is talk about passing legacy to romance companions, and platonic companions expressing interest in supporting such legacy. But I really think it was "closure" talk. We really don't know if there will ever be rich companion interaction again... least not with the current companions. If we get that in a timely manner, then force-sensitive toddlers crawling around the shp would be fun to see.

did we have rich interaction before? I gave her gifts she liked me, we got married, than I got a short clip. (not like I wanted to see my sith lord type 4 naked butt) :eek:

It would be nice if we still had some interaction of some kind, otherwise just switch them to robot's after we complete the story. Because other than dressing them up like dolls (yes I am talking about the people who put the last hand maiden outfit on khem). What else is there?

Kids would be fun, if they were based on our game choices? I would love to see 4-8 of my kids running around fleet baby smashing people, and praticeing force choke on the droids or shop vendors.

I can see Malavai being a pretty good dad, he would instill discipline in the kid, of course chart the child's future from the time it was born. He would teach it manners, honor, loyalty to the Empire and how to be a good soldier if it was not force sensitive. I can see also being nice to to the kid and being gentle. If the child was a girl I can see him being somewhat of a softie but not too much.

I can see him genetically plotting the bloodlines of the top Imperial dynasties and having her marriage contract signed sealed and delivered before she's two months old.

I think it is possible. Bioware just need to create a NPC that you can customize and choose if they are evil or good and have him/her run around the ship and you have to get gifts from different planets in order to get affection and certain points have a chat with him/her with some involving your spouse. Edited by EncagedChillie
I accidently my sentence.

I think it is possible. Bioware just need to create a NPC that you can customize and choose if they are evil or good and have him/her run around the ship and you have to get gifts from different planets in order to get affection and certain points have a chat with him/her with some involving your spouse.

It's been done to death in another game. Google The Sims.

Seriosly, you want a dating game and a family simulator go check it out.

• 1 month later...

Frankly I'm of the opinion that if your character did have a kid, it'd be sent off to live with someone else in safety. The lives of the toons are not ones of peace.

What I would love to see for the Jedi classes would be a story arch where the Jedi Council discovers your secret marriage/relationship and forces you to either annul your marriage or be ejected from the order. Then you have to go on a mission to prove that you are a follower of the LS before they accept you back into the order. If you choose the Jedi over your spouse, you lose a crap-ton of affection with them (heartbroken as they are), and if you choose your marriage you get like 500 DS points.

So yeah, that's how I figure that the Chiss and Humans can breed. It's like a Black/White couple having a child. A blend of both. But, that's just my though process :p

Someone asked this from Timothy Zahn at his facebook page some (long) time ago, and he said that even though he wasn't sure if it's possible, he would guess not, since it needs only a very small genetical change and bam, you can't reproduce with the other species. But I guess it could be possible, since we have lions&tigers and wolfs&dogs in real world...

I can see one way of having "Legacy" children..

Given that is a heavily driven story MMO with each planet basically being a progress in time, a new map of the galaxy can be drawn as being 20 years post Battle of Corellia. This map would be a secondary map in the game, giving the current characters you have the option to continue on their story as well as starting a lineage decendancy in the form of having more alts.

There would have to be some reasonable restrictions to this. One, you cannot access this map unless you have maxxed affection and completed all companion quests with your marital companion, and possibly to include Act 3, as this would be the galaxy quite sometime after the current events. It would not make sense otherwise. Second, the "Legacy" childern will never be able to access the former galaxy, for obvious continuity reasons, but your current characters can.

I can't imagine the resources or time needed for this, but as a future option, this would be epic.

Someone asked this from Timothy Zahn at his facebook page some (long) time ago, and he said that even though he wasn't sure if it's possible, he would guess not, since it needs only a very small genetical change and bam, you can't reproduce with the other species. But I guess it could be possible, since we have lions&tigers and wolfs&dogs in real world...

Wolves and dogs can breed, yes, but tigers and lions are incapable of breeding by natural means. Ligers exist via genetic experimentation. That is, it's all done in petri dishes in labs. Of course, I am no biologist or geneticist, but I believe that although they are both of the feline genus, they have evolved into separate, incompatible (for breeding) species.

Most species, including Chiss and humans, may share a common ancestry or close similarities in biology, but it's unlikely they could actually successfully breed. Plus... a Chiss/human hybrid might not look all that pretty if it were possible. If someone walks around with pure red eyes, that might freak people out.

Edited by Yermog

There's a whole group of species on wookieepedia described as "near human," many of which can bred with vanilla humans.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Near-Human

Originally Twi'lek couldn't breed with humans, but in recent years in the EU there's been some half-human twi'leks running around. They mostly look like Twi'leks.

If Twi'lek/Human combinations are fertile, then Mirialans and Chiss shouldn't be too much problem. Half-Mirialan would mostly be a blended skin color thing, and half-Chiss would probably have the photoreflective low light vision represented in the retinas (so red pupils). Humans should be careful about how old the Chiss happen to be, however.

Miraluka can also technically bred with humans, but the offspring, who have eyes with silver irises and look human, tend to have physiological complications, and the pregnancy and birth are difficult.

Difficulties might be true with other unusual pairings as well, so maybe the reason behind the companions wanting to adopt instead is playing it safe. But player characters are free to do whatever they want with their family trees. :p

Edited by Bytemite

Wolves and dogs can breed, yes, but tigers and lions are incapable of breeding by natural means. Ligers exist via genetic experimentation. That is, it's all done in petri dishes in labs. Of course, I am no biologist or geneticist, but I believe that although they are both of the feline genus, they have evolved into separate, incompatible (for breeding) species.

Most species, including Chiss and humans, may share a common ancestry or close similarities in biology, but it's unlikely they could actually successfully breed. Plus... a Chiss/human hybrid might not look all that pretty if it were possible. If someone walks around with pure red eyes, that might freak people out.

Chiss walk around with pure red eyes. With so many different species, I can't imagine a human with Chiss style eyes, really freaking that many (if any) people out.

If Twi'lek/Human combinations are fertile, then Mirialans and Chiss shouldn't be too much problem. Half-Mirialan would mostly be a blended skin color thing, and half-Chiss would probably have the photoreflective low light vision represented in the retinas (so red pupils). Humans should be careful about how old the Chiss happen to be, however.

In a galaxy far far away, I doubt they have the same standards we have. Sure, the Chiss is really 10 years old, but they're physically and mentally in their 20's.

For a culture based around slavery is okay, murdering the person next to you is okay if you're a Sith and they're not is okay, why would anyone think the galaxy far far away has any of the same standards the western culture has? Even more so when one figures Earth culture varies so much in what is and isn't allowed.

Chiss walk around with pure red eyes. With so many different species, I can't imagine a human with Chiss style eyes, really freaking that many (if any) people out.

Eh, good point. I suppose that was my "normal every day" people I was thinking about, not the citizens of the Star Wars universe where there are certainly stranger sights than that.

Well, the Sith just took on a unsettling new angle for me. I'd assumed that their murderers were like our murderers, thought they felt only disgust towards people who go after children, because children are weaker and smaller and that means that child predators are also weak (and awful).

But they do have an "anything goes" attitude sometimes. Yuck.

In a galaxy far far away, I doubt they have the same standards we have.

I'd like to think non-Sith at least have some of our standards... The younglings in this game are just this side of disturbing, and the thought that relationships between adults and those homunculi might be a regular occurrence kinda makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Edited by Bytemite

Well, the Sith just took on a unsettling new angle for me. I'd assumed that their murderers were like our murderers, thought they felt only disgust towards people who go after children, because children are weaker and smaller and that means that child predators are also weak (and awful).

But they do have an "anything goes" attitude sometimes. Yuck.

I'd like to think non-Sith at least have some of our standards... The younglings in this game are just this side of disturbing, and the thought that relationships between adults and those homunculi might be a regular occurrence kinda makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

I think SithKoriandr meant that if chiss are physically and mentally mature at the age of 10, it shouldn't be consider as "bad" as dating a 10-year-old human. The term "adult" can mean a person of a different age when the person is i.e. chiss, compared to i.e. human. Same thing as in fantasy books, it's okay for hundreds or even thousands of years old elf to date a 20-year-old-human, because they both would be considered as "adult". There might be similiar "rules" in a galaxy far, far away.

Same thing as in fantasy books, it's okay for hundreds or even thousands of years old elf to date a 20-year-old-human, because they both would be considered as "adult".

Not always. The problem with these kinds of age difference relationships is they represent a major gap in experiences, and one side as such has a major advantage over the other in terms of dominance, how established their personalities are, the wealth they might have accumulated... It's inherently unequal, even if you factor in different species having a different biological rate of maturing.

Culturally we deal with this by making a certain age group off limits, which is the best solution we've managed to come up with. There are problems of course with this blanket system, such as parents who disapprove of a relationship abusing the law to get an 18 year old with a 17 year old partner in trouble, but that's beside the point. Still the best option we have.

There are major issues with a human being involved with a Chiss who is ten, even if the Chiss looks 20 years old and is considered an adult by his or her people.

An opposite situation where a species ages slower than others and so someone past the age of consent looking like a child getting into a relationship with an adult of another species would also be questionable.

Edited by Bytemite

Not always. The problem with these kinds of age difference relationships is they represent a major gap in experiences, and one side as such has a major advantage over the other in terms of dominance, how established their personalities are, the wealth they might have accumulated... It's inherently unequal, even if you factor in different species having a different biological rate of maturing.

Culturally we deal with this by making a certain age group off limits, which is the best solution we've managed to come up with. There are problems of course with this blanket system, such as parents who disapprove of a relationship abusing the law to get an 18 year old with a 17 year old partner in trouble, but that's beside the point. Still the best option we have.

There are major issues with a human being involved with a Chiss who is ten, even if the Chiss looks 20 years old and is considered an adult by his or her people.

An opposite situation where a species ages slower than others and so someone past the age of consent looking like a child getting into a relationship with an adult of another species would also be questionable.

I must be reading different fantasy books than you are.

Yes, here in Earth, we have laws that put an age limit to stuff like that, but in a galaxy far away, there might not be such things. I haven't seen an essential quide that says that "no being under the age of 18 should ever date a human". If both of the sides of the relationships are mentally and physically considered clearly mature, I don't see any problem with the ages of the dating couple, the same way as I would have no problems with a 25-year-old person dating a 40-years-old-person. One is clearly older than another, true, but both are adults and capable to decide if they want this relationship and know what to expect from it.

Imo it's more likely to have race/species-specific "rules" - this species ages slower than humans, so it's not okay to date 18-year-old-person from this species if you are an adult human.

, I don't see any problem with the ages of the dating couple, the same way as I would have no problems with a 25-year-old person dating a 40-years-old-person.

On one hand, yes, kinda. But imagine if you shifted both ages about ten years younger. Still the same spread difference in ages, but suddenly it seems less okay.

I actually think that the origin of these rules is because of the inherent inequality created by a big age gap, and so it extends even beyond just kids. Theoretically when both are "adults" they can choose for themselves but that doesn't completely eliminate the problems. It's just that those problems at that point become personal relationship problems instead of a society wide concern.

Some people even believe in an equation, that if someone multiplies the younger relationship by two and subtracts seven, that represents the oldest possible age that younger person can be involved with before the relationship becomes a little sketchy. Obviously this breaks down at very young ages, and very old ages, so there's limits to the application. And as you get into the upper biological age limit, the situation reverses itself - it becomes the elderly that society becomes concerned that the younger partner might be taking advantage of. But large age gaps appear to be enough of an issue that our culture has come up with additional measures about what is or isn't inappropriate.

Here, imagine a different situation between human cultures on earth. Some cultures think that humans become adults when they finish puberty, which might be as young as thirteen. They even use thirteen year olds as child soldiers, and people we consider children have seen more terrible mature stuff than older people from another culture. They get married at thirteen, have children at thirteen. On another angle, some thirteen year olds, male or female, sometimes look much precociously older than they actually are - biologically, they appear to be mature.

A Chiss is ten but looks twenty, their culture considers them an adult. I'm prepared to claim it's probably still a little iffy for a twenty year old to date a ten year old Chiss.

Edited by Bytemite