How to Flash Point Like A Pro (Leveling Version) [partial content]

Thank you, that clears up a lot! Sheesh, I guess I will need to wait till other characters mature as two of mine are, of course, damage dealers (obviously an attractive choice and obviously sucky), and my Sage is Balanced :) Will work on a Healer with a Trooper or a Bounty Hunter.

There might be a mistake or two in my post. Wrote it quite quickly while working, but the basic idea should be there.

Also, feel free to respec your characters and experiment. It helps you understand other players quite nicely.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and my Sage is Balanced :).

Let's be as clear as possible. "Balance" is a specialization in the Jedi Sage and Jedi Shadow advanced classes.

What you seem to mean is a choice of skills that significantly overlaps more than one tree. That is normally called a "Hybrid" specialization. If you are choosing skills from more than one tree like this, you'll need to be very careful. Most of the time such choices are not optimal.

Garik

First of all, many thanks again for the guide and explanations! While we haven't braved a FP, re-equipping and following the strategic advice we breathed through a Heroic 4+ that got us slaughtered the day before. Interestingly, the problem was more with the Tank that was too damage-oriented, rather than the healing powers.

I understand, I use the PvE 5/5/36 hybrid build that is mostly climbing up the Balanced Tree. I use PvE builds on all of my characters atm, because, well, I play PvE solo with the two out of three. It seems I've also inadvertently made them all DPS characters - seems to draw a newbie, understandably since it's sexy (and probably not a bad idea in a PvE, but a newbie Damage Dealer in a PvP sounds like a really, really bad idea). I will try a pure Healer and a pure Tank on the next trio of the characters, and try the WZs and FPs with other players if I have enough competency to diversify the gaming experience. (Obviously, as a secondary Tank on a tank).

Edited by DomiSotto

The only way you will get better at Warzones is through practice. Just keep doing them and doing them, and don't worry if you suck to begin with--we were all there!

In a Warzone, a "call" is when the person guarding a node your team has captured informs the rest of the team when enemies are attacking that node, ideally so that a couple of allies will come help him defend the node. This is, indeed, typed in the heat of battle, so it tends to be a pithy message (e.g. "2 east").

• 2 weeks later...
After pondering the advice on re-specing the character to a non-hybrid Healer tree for a while, I saw the wisdom of it and did it. Thank you for offering the suggestion (and for the guide). It was remarkably easy to do, actually. I am still too afraid to try out the PvP environ, but fingers crossed I can group for a FP this weekend.

Hey there, something you should really mention for Mando raiders boarding party.

No one seems to notice this ever, but everyone aside from the sent/mara can and should be stunned.

Want the easiest joke ever on the final one or two guys left? Each person save their stun's/kb/knockdowns (which almost every class has one by that point in time) for the very last guy. You can then hold him stunlocked while you destroy him. Makes the fight much much much easier on healers.

I've tried two FPs yesterday on either of my DPS characters, and found it easier than a still pathetic performance in the WarZones with a healer. Now I regret not doing it sooner as my pub characters now missed the chance to play the early FPs. I will probably go through them in overlevelled state to figure what to expect with the next alt, who happens to be a tank, or, if not, my next alt is NOT going to be a tank.

I was lucky (or was it by design?) that I was ported in a higher level bracket for each FP.

Couple things I did not expect as a complete newb player.

I used a Group Finder (handy!) and got added as a replacement DPS. It has some unique challenges.

1. You do not get ported to the start of the FP that way, but have to do a run-around some kind of a shuttling facility. Unless it was unique to the FP (I think it was Taral V?)

2. You need to make your way to the group once you are actually in the FP, that could be tricky if there are leftover mobs. I suppose you could shout out for the rest of the folks to help out if needed.

Thirdly, making others aware of your newbness is essential, since some safety tips (unless you memorized this guide) may mean the difference between life and death :)

3. Finally, if someone drops out of the party mid-FP, you will need to hit the group finder button again along with the rest of the crew (I think?) - it will be showing a glowing green dot.

I would like to emphasize that playing an FP with three other people who had previous experience was much easier than trying it from ground up as we did initially, going with two alts and two companions, and no clue. On the downside, the other guys might be taking it at a run, with space-barring the story and you will not have a chance to draw, let alone catch your breath. Lol.

Edited by DomiSotto

3. Finally, if someone drops out of the party mid-FP, you will need to hit the group finder button again along with the rest of the crew (I think?) - it will be showing a glowing green dot.

Only group leader can and should requeue group in that situation. At that point GF does role check and at that point you can decide if you want to play other role (requires field respec and proper gear for new role).

I would like to emphasize that playing an FP with three other people who had previous experience was much easier than trying it from ground up as we did initially, going with two alts and two companions, and no clue. On the downside, the other guys might be taking it at a run, with space-barring the story and you will not have a chance to draw, let alone catch your breath. Lol.

Most players are usually fine with it if someone wants to watch cutscenes. You just need to make it clear that it's your first time or you haven't done it for a while so you want to watch it again.

Edited by Halinalle

Thank you for the explanation. :)

I see it as a kindness on the stronger players' part to take along someone like myself, a casual newb who will never have a clue. I could easily compare just how much better those folks are, because we have tried to repeat an FP tonight with our 'average dude' casual mains and companions, and wiped on the second boss battle so badly it could have been funny if it weren't so sad.