The fastest way to gain Legacy is.....to not play alts?

Rafkin

Why would legacy earn more by playing alts? A legacy is something you leave for future generations. In this case, it is what you leave FOR your alts. It would be silly if they had to work for their own legacy.

You dont seem to understand the question....

Biowares endgame seems to be rerolling alts for the story, it would give alot more incentive if you got more legacy points from rolling alts instead playing your 50 character.

Why would legacy earn more by playing alts? A legacy is something you leave for future generations. In this case, it is what you leave FOR your alts. It would be silly if they had to work for their own legacy.

I get that but it seems odd that the people that have the least interest in playing alts will have access to the most features for their alts.

You dont seem to understand the question....

Biowares endgame seems to be rerolling alts for the story, it would give alot more incentive if you got more legacy points from rolling alts instead playing your 50 character.

Pretty sure the endgame is all those Hardmode FPs, and the three modes of OPs, and those WZs I've been doing. But I guess that's not endgame, must be early game.

I get that but it seems odd that the people that have the least interest in playing alts will have access to the most features for their alts.

Except, a lot of the legacy is unlocked through reaching lvl 50 on toons, maxing out companion stories, Finishing chapters on various classes and such like that. That's playing alts. Or you can just focus on one 50 and buy everything with credits, but that is going to be expensive.

Edit: Only legacy XP, which is one part of the legacy, is easier to get at 50. Plus, most of the bonuses involve making it easier on your alts, not your mains.

Edited by Koalachan

I can't quantify this exactly, but....

My first character and one of my guildie's first characters started at the same time (day 1!) - he levelled his to 50 and then started running dailies, HMs and OPs (so his character is quite well equipped now).

I got my first character to 50 (Jedi Gaudian) and then started levelling a Trooper, who is now also 50th level.

I am 5 legacy levels higher than my guild mate - so go figure! (and, no, I haven't got a scooby how that works! I did wonder whether the legacy bar scaled to the level of the character currently being played - which is the only explanation that I can come up with).

I can't quantify this exactly, but....

My first character and one of my guildie's first characters started at the same time (day 1!) - he levelled his to 50 and then started running dailies, HMs and OPs (so his character is quite well equipped now).

I got my first character to 50 (Jedi Gaudian) and then started levelling a Trooper, who is now also 50th level.

I am 5 legacy levels higher than my guild mate - so go figure! (and, no, I haven't got a scooby how that works! I did wonder whether the legacy bar scaled to the level of the character currently being played - which is the only explanation that I can come up with).

It could be that he didn't play his main as much as you played your alt? I don't know if that's the case; just trying to think of possible explanations.

Your alts benefit from whats in the legacy tree. Like opening up new heroic pve abilities, races, emotes, mail boxes and GTN's for ships, and of course training dummies.

Level up your legacy with your main character then when you start getting things you want for your alts create your alts. Also as you open up more of the classes you get access to that class's buff. So eventually your characters can be an all in one buffer. Plus those abilities open up cross wise so if you get a Jedi Knight to Act 2 all your toons have access to the Knight Buff, if they're empire they get the Emperial version. Etc etc

Plenty of incentive to alt if you want access to certain things in the legacy tree. I know for me it'll be awsome when myself or a group mate can toss 1 buff and we get all the buffs for our faction even if most of our party is made of bounty hunters or inquisitors.

Lets not forget as your alt levels he's able to give the legacy more and more xp as the quests become worth more.

Edited by Kindara

Does it seem odd to anyone else that playing just your level 50 earns you more Legacy xp than playing your alts?

Legacy is awarded on a proportional scale to xp. More xp = more legacy. At 50 you earn more then at level 10.

Rocket science it is not.

It could be that he didn't play his main as much as you played your alt? I don't know if that's the case; just trying to think of possible explanations.

Nope - I would actually say that he played more than me - he's new to MMOs, but he's been an "instant hardcore" player.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the legacy XP bar *must* scale (to some extent) to the character being played. ie you swap characters from your 50th (where, say, the next legacy level will take another 100k points) to your 30th level alt, and on that character you might only need 30k.

Edit

"Scalability" is a big thing in this game - try running a 2 man instance with the requisite 2 people - then try again with 4, you'll see what I mean!

Edited by Colow_Leper

Pretty sure the endgame is all those Hardmode FPs, and the three modes of OPs, and those WZs I've been doing. But I guess that's not endgame, must be early game.

No. Bioware was counting on the fact people would reroll once they hit 50, they even said it. It wouldve made more sense that you got more legacy XP from the more toons you have.

Nope - I would actually say that he played more than me - he's new to MMOs, but he's been an "instant hardcore" player.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the legacy XP bar *must* scale (to some extent) to the character being played. ie you swap characters from your 50th (where, say, the next legacy level will take another 100k points) to your 30th level alt, and on that character you might only need 30k.

Edit

"Scalability" is a big thing in this game - try running a 2 man instance with the requisite 2 people - then try again with 4, you'll see what I mean!

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Assuming what you're saying is true (which I'm sure it is), I'd say you're right.

If it cost the same amount of xp to get every level in the game it might seem weird, but since higher level take more xp to get and require you to kill harder things relative to earlier levels why shouldn't it pay out more?

One guildee of mine has a legacy level of 34 while I am only 20.

How?

He plays a myriad alts and I played some alts but focus on 1 character.

Because as it turns out, doing 100 quests on a lowbie is far greater legacy experience than doing a handful of dalies on my main.

Legacy is awarded on a proportional scale to xp. More xp = more legacy. At 50 you earn more then at level 10.

I am pretty sure this is not the case. Legacy XP is scaled according to the level of the character. Lower level characters earn less XP so the legacy is scaled up. The idea is that an hour playing any character gets the same amount of legacy XP.

I'm sure I read it here on this forum but my Google-fu is weak today.

I am pretty sure this is not the case. Legacy XP is scaled according to the level of the character. Lower level characters earn less XP so the legacy is scaled up. The idea is that an hour playing any character gets the same amount of legacy XP.

I think you're correct. I've now spoken to a few players that have tested this, and your explanation appears to be the case.

which kind of completely invalidates the point of the OP.

Not true mate. It's a rumor you must have read somewhere but it isn't true.

My BH is lvl 23 right now. Today I spent 1 hour and finished 6 quests. Total Legacy Xp was 9950 for the quests, 1200 for the kills involved.

My SI spent 1hr doing dailies and got 33,500 legacy XP. Didn't even bother adding up the XP from the kills involved.

If you don't believe me simply check your own toons. Legacy XP is linked to XP. XP is linked to the level. The conversion stays roughly the same form lvl 1 to lvl 50. Try it out, I just did.

EDIT: Took out my calculator.../drumroll...

Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 23 is 0.231

Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 50 is 0.229

Difference in Conversion rate between lvl 23 and 50 is 0.002

Conclusion: Conversion is very similar but lvl 50 quests give out more XP and so levelling up legacy levels via lvl 50 quests is much, much quicker than trying to do so with lvl 23 quests.

This was by comparing legacy xp rewards from quest completions (lvl 23 ones and dailies from lvl 50). Hope that helps.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Thus increasing the likelihood they'll cave and make alts.

Equally, a player with a garden of alts but no main (me) will feel the pressure to focus on a character and shelf their alts so as to be ready for the Legacy drop and have the bonuses for later.

And lastly, not all of the Legacy bonuses are alt related. Sure they unlock for your alts, but do you think a Main character only player would say no to a ship mailbox and GTN Terminal? Nope.

Not true mate. It's a rumor you must have read somewhere but it isn't true.

My BH is lvl 23 right now. Today I spent 1 hour and finished 6 quests. Total Legacy Xp was 9950 for the quests, 1200 for the kills involved.

My SI spent 1hr doing dailies and got 33,500 legacy XP. Didn't even bother adding up the XP from the kills involved.

If you don't believe me simply check your own toons. Legacy XP is linked to XP. XP is linked to the level. The conversion stays roughly the same form lvl 1 to lvl 50. Try it out, I just did.

EDIT: Took out my calculator.../drumroll...

Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 23 is 0.231

Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 50 is 0.229

Difference in Conversion rate between lvl 23 and 50 is 0.002

Conclusion: Conversion is very similar but lvl 50 quests give out more XP and so levelling up legacy levels via lvl 50 quests is much, much quicker than trying to do so with lvl 23 quests.

This was by comparing legacy xp rewards from quest completions (lvl 23 ones and dailies from lvl 50). Hope that helps.

This is interesting, because I've spoken to two different people (one on the forums and one in-game) that have had very different results, but their results were in regards to actual Legacy levels, not xp gains.

According to these people (which, to be fair, I didn't test myself), they've tested with guildies and say that a player who levels two characters to 50 ends up 5 to 7 Legacy levels higher than someone that keeps one character at 50 who grinds legacy with that one character over the same amount of time.

Edit: could it be that the scaling isn't in regards to how much xp is gain, but instead in regards to how much xp is required to reach a new level? For example, it takes less xp to level Legacy using an alt than it does using a level 50...

Just thinkin' out loud here... dev clarification would be nice.

Edited by Vecke

Currently at lvl 30 legacy xp and it comes in much much faster leveling alts than it does at 50 for me. No standing around waiting for queues to pop or other people to get organised. I'm sure if all i did was lvl 50 dailies all day long it would be the same or faster but that's not the reality for me. Edited by Kabaal