Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I keep seeing their original words which don't promise anything...

"Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee."

Maybe if I stand on my head while I read the blog I'll get where they state future transfer phases will be free.

Hmm nope.

Maybe if I read it backwards I'll get where they state future transfer phases will be free.

Hmm nope.

Maybe if I just take words they're using, rearrange one or two, add something here.. take away that.. and..

Yeah, now I get it. "Future versions of the Character Transfer Service will be free and may allow more options in your choice of destination servers. Everything after that may require a transfer fee."

See? Plain as day. Silly me.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, so again i go with its not BWs fault you have several toons on different servers YOU made the choice to reroll instead of waiting

Actually it is their fault, they told us to reroll until transfers came.

Edited by Tuscad

Im seriously pissed we cannot move from PVP to PVE, seriously

I wanted to move my character that i have spend 6 months investing time in to play with a group of friends, now i cannot

Only option left to me is start again

Thanks Bioware

I agree on this one.

What if we WANT to transfer from a PvE server to a PvP server?

I have 2 50s on a PvE that I was playing on with friends. The friends are no longer on the server (moved to Australian server) and since then, I re-rolled on a PvP server and found that i like it much more.

Can any consideration be given to allowing transfers from PvE to PvP servers (or Vise Versa)?

I would even consider paying for it if it was my only option. If not can we get a clear explanation as to why we cannot do it?

I agree. That's why I said "if necessary". If they open 4 origin servers to one destination server, and it adequately fills up the destination server, that's that. If you're not on one of the origin servers, but you want on the destination server, wait until paid transfers.

And there's nothing wrong with paid transfers. Even EQ2 still has paid transfers, and many people avail themselves of it. And it has done wonders with stemming willy-nilly transfers. I think it's a great idea.

This is probably one of the few times we'll find common ground on something, but I agree.

They're restricting these transfers for a reason, it's fairly clear. That reason is that when the community is given it's choice, it would apparently like 2-3 extremely full servers and 100 or so dead servers.

Now, when Bioware is given the choice, they would like to see a few dozen healthy servers, and by limiting our options thats really the only way to achieve that goal. The bottom line is that they are trying to fix the current problem, not recreate it, and by allowing us too many options, it would simply cause the same problems all over again.

There isn't anything wrong with paid transfers in this instance, as the free transfers are being allowed SIMPLY AND ONLY TO FIX THE POPULATION ISSUES ON CERTAIN SERVERS. The paid transfer service will be later put in place to fix problems caused by player decisions. Such as transferring from a pvp to a pve server.

Edited by Celebrus

You've waited 3 months and now you can't wait 4 more days? :eek:

For me at least, it isn't waiting four more days. I could wait four more weeks if needed (wouldn't like it much, but I like the game and would do it). I do have a problem with the decision to hold off the FAQ until the day transfers start. I for one like to be able to read information at least a day before I'm going to make a decision on how to proceed (i.e. transfer to new server now, wait for paid transfer, etc.).

I don't know, the way they are handling this feels rushed to me. Not in the sense of how long it has taken overall, but more in the sense of a college student who knows for 5 months they have an exam in June, but waits until the last night to cram for the test.

i just wanted to combine my 50's from 2 different server's on a server with a decent pop guess that was too much to ask for

You might get lucky, they might choose your 2 servers (and probably a hand full of others) to be transferred to the same destination. Who knows till we see the servers they are merging on Tues.

You might get lucky, they might choose your 2 servers (and probably a hand full of others) to be transferred to the same destination. Who knows till we see the servers they are merging on Tues.

This is a rare occasion where I just don't see the point of almost *any* of the griping.

They're providing a service to help people get away from dead servers.

And somehow the people that haven't been on dead servers for the last few months feel wronged by it? Really?

Edited by Celebrus

I agree on this one.

What if we WANT to transfer from a PvE server to a PvP server?

I have 2 50s on a PvE that I was playing on with friends. The friends are no longer on the server (moved to Australian server) and since then, I re-rolled on a PvP server and found that i like it much more.

Can any consideration be given to allowing transfers from PvE to PvP servers (or Vise Versa)?

I would even consider paying for it if it was my only option. If not can we get a clear explanation as to why we cannot do it?

Yes, you will definitely be able to transfer from PvE to PvP servers (and Vise Versa)

...... later. :)

This is probably one of the few times we'll find common ground on something, but I agree.

They're restricting these transfers for a reason, it's fairly clear. That reason is that when the community is given it's choice, it would apparently like 2-3 extremely full servers and 100 or so dead servers.

Now, when Bioware is given the choice, they would like to see a few dozen healthy servers, and by limiting our options thats really the only way to achieve that goal. The bottom line is that they are trying to fix the current problem, not recreate it, and by allowing us too many options, it would simply cause the same problems all over again.

There isn't anything wrong with paid transfers in this instance, as the free transfers are being allowed SIMPLY AND ONLY TO FIX THE POPULATION ISSUES ON CERTAIN SERVERS. The paid transfer service will be later put in place to fix problems caused by player decisions. Such as transferring from a pvp to a pve server.

I'm glad we can agree on this point as well. :)

For me at least, it isn't waiting four more days. I could wait four more weeks if needed (wouldn't like it much, but I like the game and would do it). I do have a problem with the decision to hold off the FAQ until the day transfers start. I for one like to be able to read information at least a day before I'm going to make a decision on how to proceed (i.e. transfer to new server now, wait for paid transfer, etc.).

I don't know, the way they are handling this feels rushed to me. Not in the sense of how long it has taken overall, but more in the sense of a college student who knows for 5 months they have an exam in June, but waits until the last night to cram for the test.

I think the reason why, is that BW is starting to learn, to not say anything that can resemble concrete information on here, because people will cling on to that like the Word of God (or other appropriate deity), and will scream bloody murder if they are off by so much as 1 millisecond/meter/other unit of measurement. I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath, and hoping for the best. I know I am. It's gonna be a slow process to start, but if they can get this ball rolling, and it works out, the momentum can really go quite a ways up from there. Be patient, be hopeful, and we'll see what the 12th brings.

This is just meant for fun. I'm not implying anything, and normally I'm not an analogy kind of person. But I couldn't resist making light of the server transfer situation.

Imagine if this situation was real life...

Developer: "We have a new job for you in another country. We can't tell you what country yet, but we'll tell you the minute you have your flight boarding passes. And don't worry: sell all your possessions that you can't fit in your luggage. There's no shipping services where you're heading, and we're not going to haul any cargo for you. Also, sell your home and delete your social security number. Contact us once you arrive and we'll give you a new National ID number for that country. And let us know what sort of home you sold so we can find you a similar one. Oh, and did we mention your first and last name might not be unique enough? It's ok, though, we'll let you change it when you get there. Might we suggest Harry Knuckles or Cosmo Gaylord? Also your family is free to travel with you, but they'll each have to make separate flight reservations on their own. If they have to reschedule their flights, they might be forced to pay their own way later. We're not promising anything yet."

Edited by cipher_nemo

The part you quoted was after the heading "The Next Step". The part he quoted was all under the first phase, indicated by the words "this process".

I'm fairly aware of the fact that he linked a portion of the first part and then purposefully ignored the IMPORTANT part in the "next step" simply to willfully spread misinformation.

But thanks for trying to point out the obvious!

I don't care what he linked, he was doing his best to spread his idea of what he wanted to happen as what *WILL* happen. :D

Edited by Celebrus

Exactly.

This is just meant for fun. I'm not implying anything, and normally I'm not an analogy kind of person. But I couldn't resist making light of the server transfer situation.

Imagine if this situation was real life...

Developer: "We have a new job for you in another country. We can't tell you what country yet, but we'll tell you the minute you have your flight boarding passes. And don't worry: sell all your possessions that you can't fit in your luggage. There's no shipping services where you're heading, and we're not going to haul any cargo for you. Also, sell your home and delete your social security number. Contact us once you arrive and we'll give you a new National ID number for that country. And let us know what sort of home you sold so we can find you a similar one. Oh, and did we mention your first and last name might not be unique enough? It's ok, though, we'll let you change it when you get there. Might we suggest Harry Knuckles or Cosmo Gaylord? Also your family is free to travel with you, but they'll each have to make separate flight reservations on their own. If they have to reschedule their flights, they might be forced to pay their own way later. We're not promising anything yet."

That actually made me laugh out loud. Well done! :D

Except you don't have to take the "free flight to your new job" at the last minute. You can still wait until after they give you all the details before you decide to move.

It's a little extra frustrating because those of us who were trying to be supportive and patient with Bioware in simply re-rolling on another server so we could play the game while we wait are now finding out that there isn't a way to transfer all of the characters we have onto the same server (since I started on a PvE server and rerolled on a PvP server) .

The fact that I WAS trying to be patient and "re-roll" on another server had me experiment and try out the PvP server. I realized I was enjoying myself much more and was looking forward to a time I could bring my 50's over to do it as well.

I'm REALLY disappointed that we can't transfer from a PvE server to a PvP server on the initial "free transfers". Is there a clear reason as to why?

Edited by Jaavik

That actually made me laugh out loud. Well done! :D

Except you don't have to take the "free flight to your new job" at the last minute. You can still wait until after they give you all the details before you decide to move.

Oh good point. I should have added to the beginning of that...

"We're giving you a choice: you can move to a new country where you'll easily find work, or you can stay here where most likely no one will hire you."

Oh good point. I should have added to the beginning of that...

"We're giving you a choice: you can move to a new country where you'll easily find work, or you can stay here where most likely no one will hire you."

"It's okay, I'll stay here. I work from home anyway. My family helps out." :p

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Yes, you will definitely be able to transfer from PvE to PvP servers (and Vise Versa)

Yeah, after I posted that, i read a little further into the thread and saw the answer as far as a "later opportunity".

I'm a little frustrated that server transfers are finally here, and now I'm back in the "coming soon" category to get the transfers I needed. I guess I'll just play my re-rolls on the PvP server and maybe "someday soon" I'll be able to reunite my legacy.

I'm trying REALLY hard to be patient... But it keeps getting worse...

No, you wont definitely be able to do this. Its quite likely that they will allow these types of transfers in the future but you will probably have to pay a fee because this is not about fixing a problem due to low population but from something the player chose to do.

A 2nd phase of free transfers that allows people to do some consolidation of their toons might happen but that again is more likely to be within the same server type and there is zero information to confirm they will do this.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

No, you wont definitely be able to do this. Its quite likely that they will allow these types of transfers in the future but you will probably have to pay a fee because this is not about fixing a problem due to low population but from something the player chose to do.

A 2nd phase of free transfers that allows people to do some consolidation of their toons might happen but that again is more likely to be within the same server type and there is zero information to confirm they will do this.

You may or may not have to pay a fee, but you definitely will be able to transfer from a PvP server to a PvE server in the future. Which was the original question.

I do hope they allow for an option to consolidate characters on one server some of them are on once the dust settles OR let the legacy system apply across all of an accounts characters. Either would be fair but, I don't think people should be behind in the legacy levels because they were pushed into a situation where they had to split their characters or languish on an empty server. Edited by Matte_Black

If you're opting to move to the new server, is it possible to test whether or not your name is taken beforehand? I realize other people don't care much about their character names - but I do. It's a deal-breaker for me. I picked my server originally because it allowed for the names I wanted.

Has anyone bothered to stop and think that BW might be going through their reams of data, identifying individual accounts, the number of characters on that account, and the servers those characters are on, and, based on a few assumptions (which have to be made), might offer up transfer paths based on that?

Assumptions such as (if 13,000 players have level 25+ legacies on Servers X, Y, and Z, and, of that same group of players, 75+% of them have lower-level legacies (if any exist) on Servers A and B, they might be spending this time now determining that it's wise to open up transfers from Servers A, X, Y, and Z to Server B (a lower/medium-pop destination server). The same process applies to every server - determining rerollers based on data, and working toward structuring the first round of free transfers to address both reroll condensation and population issues.

This would allow them to siphon off the rerollers from their current servers and condense all of their characters onto new destination servers (within server type, ofc), and after paying attention to over 140 pages of this thread, is something no one else has mentioned (at least that I could tell).

Edited by Elgann

You may or may not have to pay a fee, but you definitely will be able to transfer from a PvP server to a PvE server in the future. Which was the original question.

"Probably have to pay" does not exclude "may not have to pay". And where have they said you will definitely be able to transfer from PvP or PvE or vice versa? They have not said that this will be possible, it may be possible but there is not a single sentence that says it will be possible.

You answered the original question wrongly. Such a transfer has not been confirmed as a future feature, the only statements we have on this matter are negative, they have not ruled out such transfers in the future.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins