Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

UltimateKrucible
04.09.2013 , 05:00 PM | #461
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
In pre-2.0 the gap was roughly (very roughly!) 80% difference between Recruit and fully augmented Elite War Hero gear. Closing this gap means that PvP battles will be on a more equal footing but you might be experiencing damage and heal numbers you hadnít seen before the patch. -eric
Thanks for the reply, Eric. But a couple of concerns:

1) The quote above - Bolster hasn't 'closed the gap'. It's superceded it. IE PvP gear is worse than lvl 11 greens.

2) All of this must have been apparent during testing - so why go live with it? It's a broken system. You know it, we know it. Why foist it on us?

niceguyy
04.09.2013 , 05:08 PM | #462
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
So you *applaud* people who pvp naked?

Wow, some people never cease to amaze.

I mean, you obviously did manage to get out of the bed this morning as well which is at least as difficult as removing your gear and still, you get no applause from me.
No, I applaud the pvpers who figured out what gear/mod combinations they needed to still be able to wear armor and not get 2 shot instead of coming onto the forums and complaining. Never once, in any of my posts, did I say pvping naked is the way to go. I'm not against it but I'm not for it either. If you want to pvp naked that's fine just know that you are at a DISADVANTAGE to those of us who know how the new bolster works.

What's interesting is the Dev post saying naked bolster is providing better stats than wearing ANY gear. According to my testing and the last few hours of pvping, this IS NOT the case.

Yelloweyedemon
04.09.2013 , 05:08 PM | #463
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
[color=#f9d648]

How does this affect level 55? Bolster will bolster characters up to right below Partisan gear, the new level 55 PvP set gear. This is working correctly from what we can see and means that the Elder Game will not have this issue of ďnaked Bolster.Ē Partisan and Conquer gear are still highly valuable and give better stats than Bolster so that max level PvP should be intact as we designed, it is just unfortunate that the system has bugs in it that make getting to that point frustrating.

Because of the bolster changes and general changes to 2.0 combat math you will see larger numbers during combat. We have given out more health with levels which means more damage to counter it. Also, in 2.0 the gear gap has been closed significantly. In pre-2.0 the gap was roughly (very roughly!) 80% difference between Recruit and fully augmented Elite War Hero gear. Closing this gap means that PvP battles will be on a more equal footing but you might be experiencing damage and heal numbers you hadnít seen before the patch.
So we will have to grind a whole new (ranked) gear, augment it and min/max it in order to be 'slightly' better than the ones that come to pvp in pve gear? Because as you said, if you dont have pvp gear, bolster will place you just below the partisan level. Define 'just below' please. Is the difference even noticable?

In my point of view PvP'ers should be rewarded for having the top-tier gear, and that needs to be VERY noticable. From what i understand the difference between conqueror and pve gear will be something like 5%, is that true?

Boch
04.09.2013 , 05:09 PM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by Quidibit View Post
That's a good post Eric, thx for the update. I guess that explains why removing earpiece/implants/relics gave me better stats than full (pve) gear. Although naked was worse overall for me when considering set bonus and such.

This was my data if it helps (50 merc, rakata aim stim, 9% aim talent, 5% health buff).

A) Full pve gear (mostly rakata, all augmented, none of the gear had expertise),
B) earpiece+implants+relics removed,
C) all gear but blasters removed

=

Aim: A) 2380, B) 2562, C) 2329
Health: A) 23086, B) 24136, C)24222
Total secondary stats: A) 1452, B) 1445, C) 1453
Armour: A) 5666, B) 5666, C) 5602
Expertise: A) 1961, B) 1985, C) 1990
Most useful post I've seen all day.
Konts of <Ascension>
Rolling with a pocket guard since 2.0.

LanceCorporalDan
04.09.2013 , 05:12 PM | #465
My concern is that our current pvp gear is seemingly worthless in comparison to those without it. While I can understand the need to close the gear gap between a lvl 45 and myself with minmaxed wh/ewh I feel the compensation is too generous; it totally negates the gear I currently have.

The only issue (and notably the most important issue currently) that I see being addressed is the "naked bolster" But I didn't notice anything in the works to lower the curve the bolster provides to undergeared players. Maybe I missed something, I did only scan the material.

Will re-read.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

Okod
04.09.2013 , 05:15 PM | #466
What are people seeing as their HP figure? Most of my (fully clothed!) characters (30 - 54 bracket) seem to end up in the 22K - 24K HP range. However, my Powertech tank ends up with ~28K HP. Now, he is kitted out with the level 40 (currently 46) PvP tank gear, so figured this was the reason. Next PvP match I stripped down while waiting for it to start properly, but still ended up with ~28K HP.

Do you need to be naked before entering to see a difference? I've also tried swapping to Pyro stance in case that does anything, but nope. I'm not sure what that one character (although I've since seen a 28K HP naked assassin - tank stance + sabre/focus from memory) has that justifies +6K HP over my other characters (and usually the rest of the team).

Am I being stupid and missing some innate Powertech HP buff, or is this another Bolster quirk?

Thoughts?

Khilbron
04.09.2013 , 05:17 PM | #467
The fix is very simple.
Flat Stats for both new brackets.
10-29 gets x amount of primary stat, x amount of endurance, x amount of expertise, x amount of bonus damage/healing regardless of level and gear, everyone enters identical for their class.

30-54 Exact same as above, maybe slight stat increase to make it feel like your progressing

55 Bracket, purely based on gear, since there is nothing at all to spend your comms on from 10 through 54 so you should be saving and converting your comms as you get them to cap out.

foxmob
04.09.2013 , 05:19 PM | #468
Quote: Originally Posted by Boch View Post
Its a new expansion and all 50 PvP gear is phased out. Minus the few bugs mentioned low level PvP is balanced stat wise, as long as you don't wear phased out gear. And this system is way better than having to fight twinks in low level PvP. At 55 PvP gear is still the best. Let your old gear go, it will be OK.
lol playing against lower levels in the same old pve gear that I can go back and craft on an armormech. so no. sorry. system fail.
Krack

foxmob
04.09.2013 , 05:21 PM | #469
Quote: Originally Posted by ezrafetch View Post
Except the tiny problem of 30-54 brackets, meaning that everyone 50+ runs around with 1600+ Expertise. The old bolster didn't include Expertise. You'd have 50+s one-shotting 30-49s because they didn't have access to (E)WH gear.

I agree that Bolster is currently borked/bugged, but going back to the old one while they fix the current problems is an even worse choice than rolling it out bugged and fixing it ASAP. And I do think the Expertise thing needs to be re-examined some, 2-shots or 3-shots do not make for a healthy PvP metagame.
so 50-54 is its own bracket for a few weeks while they fix their sheeit. not exactly rocket science.
Krack

Akuryu
04.09.2013 , 05:29 PM | #470
Quote: Originally Posted by ezrafetch View Post
Except the tiny problem of 30-54 brackets, meaning that everyone 50+ runs around with 1600+ Expertise. The old bolster didn't include Expertise. You'd have 50+s one-shotting 30-49s because they didn't have access to (E)WH gear.
At this point they should just remove expertise completely. If they are going to give it in large volumes to everyone, regardless of gear, even naked people, then it's a worthless stat that should just be removed.