Projected 4.0 Class Power Rankings

Scinald

So all the results are in and all that is left is the crying (or cheering). For both fun and to cause trouble here are my rankings for the classes. Not much has changed other than I think PTs sink and Ops are on the rise. Of course, your mileage and opinion may vary (and hopefully does). :)

Regs:

1) Sorc

2) Sin

3) Op

4) PT

5) Juggernaut

6) Mercenary

7) Sniper

8) Marauder

Ranked:

1) Sorc

2) Sin

3) Op

4) PT

5) Marauder

6) Juggernaut

7) Sniper

8) Mercenary

Edited by Scinald
Snuck one of my Pub classes into an Imp list. :)

But...but........sins/shadow have the worst burst in the game apparently, according to another thread. I guess you don't need burst for pvp.

I wonder about that sometimes. Madness Sorcerers legitimately have the lowest burst in the game for a damage spec, but no one would argue they are weak.

I'll break it down better at least for solo ranked. This assumes damage and healing is about the same as it is on live.

4 DPS matches:

Sorc

Conceal Operative

Sin

Marauder

Jugg

Sniper

PT

Merc

Healer/3 DPS matches: (DPS)

Marauder

Concealment Operative

Jugg

Sin

Sniper

PT

Merc

Sorc

Healer/3 DPS matches: (Healers)

Sorc

Operative

Merc

Tank/3 DPS: (DPS)

Sorc

Concealment Operative

Sniper

PT

Sin (Hatred)

Marauder

Jugg

Merc

Sin (Deception)

Tank/3 DPS: (Tanks)

Jugg

PT

Sin

Tank/Healer Solo Queue: (DPS)

Sorc

Sniper

PT

Sin (Hatred)

Jugg

Marauder

Concealment Operative

Sin (Deception)

Merc

Tank/Healer Solo Queue: (Tanks)

PT

Sin

Jugg

Tank/Healer Solo Queue: (Healers)

Sorc

Operative

Merc

I wonder about that sometimes. Madness Sorcerers legitimately have the lowest burst in the game for a damage spec, but no one would argue they are weak.

It's heavy sustained especially on targets that mostly max out at 41-44k hp unless ur a tank. Have like 6 separate ticks of damage going out on the main target at once with creeping affliction force lighting demolish and lighting burns, that type of outgoing damage will eat away at any charged base def cd and still do the majority of it's damage even after immunity cds or timed dr cds end it's very very consistent without packing all it's damage into one ability like cull. Their dot spread as well is very strong and that's because of the deathmark debuff, imagine if virulence snipers could aoe spreading weakening blast.

I would define pressure as burst.

Pressure comp and burst comp are two different things. Pressure comp involves heavy AoE usually in the form of dots that will inevitably overwhelm a healer and kill the enemy.

Burst is coordinating a hard swap in such a way that no matter how good a healer is, they are overwhelmed with mountains of damage that can be healed through.

Pressure is sustained damage.

Burst is not and has a large spike in damag followed by a lull in damage which gives recovery time if you fail to kill.

So you're saying, in the context of your points, that sins/shadows have very high sustained damage, but not so great burst?

Exactly what I'm saying. They are still the go-to class for sustained damage/burst in Hatred. Comparing Hatred to Madness sorc, madness sorc has 0 burst outside of Deathfield, while Assassin has the burst to do decent single target damage to execute an enemy with Assassinate procs + Regular assassinate window on top of Death Field AoE and a decent 3k hitting filler move.

SIns are second lowest on the scale of burst with Deception, but it gets by due to the high amount of control. It's control excels beyond that of any other spec in the game, even operatives. Because of this, you can make amazing plays that require a player to be situationally aware and your low burst is overlooked by your superior control.

However, just because it has great control doesn't change the fact that it has the lowest burst of all melee classes. The two facts are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: For a more in depth look at the strengths and weakness of the class, you can check the guide in my signature.

Edited by Jinre_the_Jedi

Comparing Hatred to Madness sorc, madness sorc has 0 burst outside of Deathfield

I wouldn't say that, because Madness Sorc has one combo that can be decent bursty on single target and I rarely see someone doing that. Try to get off Force Leech first before Demolish Procc, GCD + offGCD just saying. If both crits and you continue with Lightning, you just see their half HP disappear in a flash.

But that's one thing you can do every 12 seconds.

• 1 month later...
Pressure comp and burst comp are two different things. Pressure comp involves heavy AoE usually in the form of dots that will inevitably overwhelm a healer and kill the enemy.

Burst is coordinating a hard swap in such a way that no matter how good a healer is, they are overwhelmed with mountains of damage that can be healed through.

Pressure is sustained damage.

Burst is not and has a large spike in damag followed by a lull in damage which gives recovery time if you fail to kill.

What you define as "Pressure" is popularly known as "Flufff" Damage in game. But yes, you are correct their is definitely a difference between the two. However I would disagree on your definition of Burst damage on the grounds that more often than not, when I run burst spec, my dot will kill the player (like 6/10) times.

I wouldn't say that, because Madness Sorc has one combo that can be decent bursty on single target and I rarely see someone doing that. Try to get off Force Leech first before Demolish Procc, GCD + offGCD just saying. If both crits and you continue with Lightning, you just see their half HP disappear in a flash.

But that's one thing you can do every 12 seconds.

I find that madness has some pretty devastating burst, I will use Force Lightning to proc my instant cast Lightning Strike and not casting it, beginning with a Force Leach channel(7-10k), followed by a Force Potency + Death Field(8-10k), then instant Lightning Strike (5-7k, especially with the set bonus and extra Force Potency), then Shock (5k roughly). With the sudden ramp up after a lull of damage going out to prep, it often kills people in 4 GCDs, about how long it will take an unanticipating player to notice and pop a Defensive cooldown (which is hard for the average player to anticipate given a ranged opponent at 20m+).

So Madness sorcs do have burst, and the heals you get from dots coupled with off heal abilites, shields, and leach siphon, make madness sorcs one of the most powerful classes in the game.

This being said, every class has a counter. I main a jug/guardian and PT/Vanguard, and to me balance/madness sages/sorcs are 'medpacks' due to enraged/focused defense Defensive Cooldown (just to illustrate my point). So I am a little surprised to see jugs and guardians so low on the list. But in the end, every class, when played appropriately, can be powerful. So, although I agree mostly with this list, I take this list with some salt.

Edited by Tieru