Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

6.0 Crafting is Ludicrously a complete and total piece of Junk

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
6.0 Crafting is Ludicrously a complete and total piece of Junk

Lhancelot
11.08.2019 , 11:18 AM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Negative changes I find with crafting include:
  • Increased complexity and added time (more materials and assemblies to manage - not complex game play).
  • Significantly Increased materials requirements across the board.
  • Poor alignment of material returns with material needs (e.g. greens far rarer than blues yet needed far more).
  • Changes to mission returns (higher skill, higher time, higher cost missions returning fewer / no needed materials).
  • Addition of conquest material for basic crafting.
  • Significantly lowered success chance with reverse engineering.
  • Many items significantly inferior to random drops in easy content.

Any one of the above would have caused complaints, but taken all together, instead of leaving me a bit frustrated or disappointed, I am angry at the developers for ruining an aspect of the game I have enjoyed for years.
They wrecked crafting on PTS, testers complained, people created critical threads pointing out everything you got listed above as being negatives as negatives in their complaints and we got silence.

Now, we all are wanting answers as to where they plan to go with crafting next, and we got silence.

My biggest issue with the crafting changes is they never even explained what exactly it was they were trying to accomplish with these changes, and we all asked because it's not clear! The changes are so illogical that I can't really piece together a reasonable explanation behind said changes.

It seems they decided to destroy crafting for absolutely no reason but to make you even more dependent on partaking in their RNG gearing system. Why not just remove it totally, I mean if they don't want crafting to be useful or fun, why have it at all?
Please join the discussion on how to improve rewards for PVP
HERE
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...82#post9840582

Transcendent
11.08.2019 , 11:31 AM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
My biggest issue with the crafting changes is they never even explained what exactly it was they were trying to accomplish with these changes

(snip)

It seems they decided to destroy crafting for absolutely no reason but to make you even more dependent on partaking in their RNG gearing system.
I think you may have answered your own question. The only reasonable explanation to massively increasing basic materials without increasing collected material sources on a one to one basis, as well as including both conquest materials (massive limitation) and also heavily reducing the reverse engineering chances, on very basic schematics does lead one to believe that the intention is to push players into playing the content that the developers want you to play.

It definitely isn't "play your way" when you combine all of those parts.

Worse still It definitely isn't rewarding or particularly fun spending hours gathering enough materials, plus purchasing basic supplements in sufficient quantity to craft the basic components, which then craft more basic components, which then craft the required component, before you can even craft the item you're trying to reverse engineer with a tiny percentage chance at success, at which point you fail..... repeatedly.
REFERRAL LINK - Previous subscribers get seven days of subscription, one Complimentary Character Transfer (and more unlocks) - New players get a Jumpstart bundle with unlocks, for free!- Literally the small print

Estelindis
11.08.2019 , 11:46 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
seems they decided to destroy crafting for absolutely no reason but to make you even more dependent on partaking in their RNG gearing system. Why not just remove it totally, I mean if they don't want crafting to be useful or fun, why have it at all?
What confuses me on this point is that if they were worried about crafting competing with the new gearing system, they could've made the majority of the new craftable items cosmetic or general utility stuff. Synthweaving and armormech: empty cosmetic armor shells. Armstech: empty cosmetic weapons shells (all weapons apart from lightsabers). Cybertech: mounts. Artifice: dyes and colour crystals (they added a few but more would've been better), plus empty lightsaber shells. Biochem: I guess new reusables still, just not with such low RE% (open to biochem suggestions). But they made almost every new craftable item stat-based when they didn't have to.

For the record, I'm not saying crafting shouldn't be a competitive source of endgame gear. I'm not personally interested in that aspect of it, but I'd never it say it shouldn't exist. But if BW want to eliminate that angle of crafting, they had an easier way to do it than by making it preposterously time- and materials-intensive...
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

DawnAskham
11.08.2019 , 12:24 PM | #154
Hanlon's razor

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity or incompetence.”

Incompetence as in attempting to make changes of this magnitude without allocating and ensuring appropriate knowledge and resource levels to ensure a quality outcome.

DawnAskham
11.08.2019 , 12:36 PM | #155
delete

phalczen
11.08.2019 , 04:50 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post

Patch 6.0.2 will be our last update for 2019 and we’ll target its availability mid-December. It’ll have additional bug fixes along with the following:
  • Crafting changes – it begins! Yes, we’re taking a hard look at crafting and will make some adjustments starting with this patch.

Keith
Here's to hoping that they will engage us before mid-December.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Breso
11.08.2019 , 05:23 PM | #157
I hope the update does change the crafting material requirements to more reasonable items
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else" Ernest Hemingway
Pre Order CE Edition July 25th
Squad 367.

cyrusramsey
11.08.2019 , 07:02 PM | #158
The phrasing tells me that they mean to slowly inch in the right direction until enough people stop complaining, rather than fix the mess that we have right now, but I guess at least there's some manner of response to the issue now.

Alanbra
11.09.2019 , 12:54 AM | #159
I don't see the statement that crafting will be changed to all that encouraging. They'll probably change assemblies from 10/10/8 to 8/8/6 and jawa junk cost of new mats will go from 200 and 100, and the forums will be filled with how Bioware listened and responded to our concerns.

Rolodome
11.09.2019 , 04:54 AM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
It definitely isn't "play your way" when you combine all of those parts.
Ya know, I think I said at one point that "play your way" may end up becoming a mocking description of the expansion (or words to that effect). I can't say I'm happy that I seem to have been on point there. Whether you like certain elements of the expansion or not, I don't think anyone could make much of an argument that it's "play your way."

I figured from when I first heard it that the tagline was born out of the concept of tacticals, but after all the various controversies and (arguably) botched systems, tacticals, funnily enough, barely enter into my mind as a feature of the expansion. They have been, for me, almost entirely overshadowed by everything else, to the point that I realize now I haven't even tried them and probably won't since the rest is so unengaging.

I'm kinda laughing thinking about it. The one part that could have been successfully marketed as play your way overshadowed by changes that accomplish the opposite.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.