Playing a sorc, hoping for a sorc nerf

cupofwater

Reason 1:

Any type of nerf I see coming will be against the sorcerers AOE ability, which is hardly a factor on winning, just shows an inflated damage stat that everyone is for some reason amazed about.

Half the screenshots of 500k+ damage were done by a sorc just spamming chain lightning, death field the whole game which in reality doesn't help your team win. Most of these screen shots normally show the player actually losing with 500k+ damage done.

Reason 2: I started the sorcerer class because I really enjoy the ranged damage perspective it offers. I dislike people rolling the class just based on the fact that they want face roll large inflated damage numbers in pvp games.

Reason 3: Bioware isn't going to just simply nerf a class, they will change it so it is more viable in different ways (Operatives for example less damage.. more control), if this is less aoe damage and more single target damage I will take that any day. Less aoe damage and more control I will also take that.

For the record, the most damage done in my guild was actually done by a bounty hunter, mainly because he knows his class like the back of his hand.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any sensible nerf will be against your hybrid specs, and your bubble.

Also fine with me, there are so many viable builds.

Mainly sorcs just use hybrids because they are hands down better then the pure lightning/madness builds.

This does not mean the other builds are not viable.

The bubble itself is not a gamebreaker, only a small improvement to our overall survivability.

Edited by cupofwater

AOE ability is absolutely a factor in wining. From range I can interrupt everyone on a node at once. In civil war I can get at people that are using the pillar as LOS to cap.

Not saying it needs a nerf but claiming it does nothing but pad number is extremely wrong.

Edited by Dystopic

AOE ability is absolutely a factor in wining. From range I can interrupt everyone on a node at once. In civil war I can get at people that are using the pillar as LOS to cap.

I am not saying it is not useful, just the damage coming from aoe is a very inflated number.

I don't understand this. Pressure damage across numerous people is very valuable. They have to heal that 10k damage you dealt across 4 people.

Any good healer could easily heal through 10k damage dealt over numerous people. Most of the 500k+ damage games also have a healer on the opposing team healing for just as much.

I don't understand this. Pressure damage across numerous people is very valuable. They have to heal that 10k damage you dealt across 4 people.

10k over 4 people is what? 2.5k? That's not a lot when you health pool is 15k+. All AoE abilities really do, in situations where players are not low on health, is pad meters. That is how it is in any game.

biggest issues with sorc is the more or less spamable bubble.

i mean sorcs/sages are actually fine in 1v1, but try playing alderaan against a group with 2 heal-sorcs...

last time i did that...250k damage ... 11 kills ... go figure. they are simply too strong when grouped up with other sorcs, and its even worse when guarded by tanks.

Any good healer could easily heal through 10k damage dealt over numerous people. Most of the 500k+ damage games also have a healer on the opposing team healing for just as much.

Kind of missing the point. I am a healer. Sage seer. When people are AOEing it isn't the damage itself that's the problem, it's that a bunch of people are at 70%-80%. In a pug, means nothing. In a coordinated group, it means a hard switch can drop someone extremely fast. This can already happen with people at 100% but it's a lot harder. Get 2 people to AOE, call out target on vent, blow them up. AOE has a very real use in this game. Knocking out stealth, blocking caps, and cherry picking targets.

Edited by Dystopic

biggest issues with sorc is the more or less spamable bubble.

i mean sorcs/sages are actually fine in 1v1, but try playing alderaan against a group with 2 heal-sorcs...

last time i did that...250k damage ... 11 kills ... go figure. they are simply too strong when grouped up with other sorcs, and its even worse when guarded by tanks.

Now you are talking about group composition, this is a much different topic. 2 healers that are being protected by tanks, that not only have guard but a 30% damage reduction to anyone hitting that healer (with taunts of course) I hope will be tough to take down. 50% damage reduction + 30% damage reduced from taunts is a good amount, I do not know exactly how these stats work out number wise but either way that is a good amount of reduced damage.

Kind of missing the point. I am a healer. Sage seer. When people are AOEing it isn't the damage itself that's the problem, it's that a bunch of people are at 70%-80%. In a pug, means nothing. In a coordinated group, it means a hard switch can drop someone extremely fast. This can already happen with people at 100% but it's a lot harder. Get 2 people to AOE, call out target on vent, blow them up. AOE has a very real use in this game. Knocking out stealth, blocking caps, and cherry picking targets.

You have an AoE heal you can drop on these people that are grouped up.

10k over 4 people is what? 2.5k? That's not a lot when you health pool is 15k+. All AoE abilities really do, in situations where players are not low on health, is pad meters. That is how it is in any game.

I meant per cast, and I was talking in general. You're not alone and your damage alone isn't going to kill everyone. A good healer can keep a couple people up at once yes but a combination of aoe and focus firing is far more effective than mass focusing one person at a time.

Edited by EternalFinality

I can't believe people still talks about AoE's as "inflated dmg". Damage is pressure, damage is needed to take down people, to contain them, to push them. And AoE damage work really well because it push larger amounts of people so healers have a bigger pressure to keep their allies alive(do you see any aoe heal really good on this game? nup).

That means, a lot of more targets at half health, and easier to focus train.

Damage is important, the person who says otherwise, it's clearly a scrub who can't get to high numbers but want to think he is an asset to his team.

Sage healers themselves get various tools to protect against aoe damage.

1) An Impressive aoe heal

2) Spammable bubbles that can absorb a full aoe across a whole team.

Another question is.. as a healer do you feel like you should be able to keep a group up that is being hit by 3-4 dps coordinating there attacks?

Clever, OP. A lot of people just look at damage numbers. I like topping damage on anything I'm playing at the moment, too, so even though I know better, I'm guilty of it. If nerf sorc complaints are mostly from seeing huge dps numbers, this would be a good way to leave sorc utility and fun intact while soothing the nerf it crowd.

Of course, arsenal BH will then top charts uncontested in the lower bracket (because there are so many of them, and so few good Snipers and melee), and arsenal really is mostly about the damage, so what could you do to them to make their numbers drop while keeping them useful?

Also, will messing with Sorc AoE give them pve issues?

I can't believe people still talks about AoE's as "inflated dmg". Damage is pressure, damage is needed to take down people, to contain them, to push them. And AoE damage work really well because it push larger amounts of people so healers have a bigger pressure to keep their allies alive(do you see any aoe heal really good on this game? nup).

That means, a lot of more targets at half health, and easier to focus train.

Damage is important, the person who says otherwise, it's clearly a scrub who can't get to high numbers but want to think he is an asset to his team.

A fair opinion, personally I believe AOE is an inflated stat but I guess you disagree.

Either way this thread is about nerfing sorcs aoe, regardless of how you feel about the pressure it provides for opposing teams.

You have an AoE heal you can drop on these people that are grouped up.

I know. Again, I'm not saying the AOE needs a nerf. It's just simply not true to say it's worthless and that's what the OP tried to do.

Will also say though, the AOE heal doesn't heal as much as AOE attacks. Although I've been told it's broken pub side. For me, I drop the heal and I get 2 immediate ticks, than it's just the AOE HOT. It used to heal for 1-2.5k immediately and the tooltip says it still should, does the imp version do this?

Weak AoEs generally just pad numbers, I agree. But being able to spam dots, even if they can be cleansed, is greatly valuable in PvP. Sorc AoE's big point is the slow spam imo.

IMO the only thing that needs to be nerfed is the hybrid spec. Maybe some cooldown-related stuff with bubble. Or making bubble weaker, but then stronger (even) deep in the healing spec.

Edited by savionen

Pretty sure they are still top dps with no resources management like any other class.

The aoe heals, heal for half the damage an equal skill can do, and takes to heal that x4 times longer.

Edited by Keldaur

Sage healers themselves get various tools to protect against aoe damage.

1) An Impressive aoe heal

2) Spammable bubbles that can absorb a full aoe across a whole team.

Another question is.. as a healer do you feel like you should be able to keep a group up that is being hit by 3-4 dps coordinating there attacks?

Yeah we do have nice tools. Again, I wasn't saying AOE was overpowered, just that it has uses and isn't worthless.

And no, I don't think that I should be able to keep someone up with 3-4 people beating on them. Unless they are getting peels, LOSing, and enemies are getting CCed, they should go down. It takes more that just heals to keep someone up, sometimes other DPS have to help as well by using their utility and I don't think a lot of DPS have figured this out yet.

I know. Again, I'm not saying the AOE needs a nerf. It's just simply not true to say it's worthless and that's what the OP tried to do.

Will also say though, the AOE heal doesn't heal as much as AOE attacks. Although I've been told it's broken pub side. For me, I drop the heal and I get 2 immediate ticks, than it's just the AOE HOT. It used to heal for 1-2.5k immediately and the tooltip says it still should, does the imp version do this?

From the point of view of a kill, I'd say its worthless. For control and disruption, it's a very good tool, as you said.

As for the AoE heal on Imp side, I believe it acts the same way as the republic side now that the republic side was fixed. Though, I think there should still be a frontloaded heal before the ticks, not sure though as I haven't really healed in 2 months almost.

Clever, OP. A lot of people just look at damage numbers. I like topping damage on anything I'm playing at the moment, too, so even though I know better, I'm guilty of it. If nerf sorc complaints are mostly from seeing huge dps numbers, this would be a good way to leave sorc utility and fun intact while soothing the nerf it crowd.

Of course, arsenal BH will then top charts uncontested in the lower bracket (because there are so many of them, and so few good Snipers and melee), and arsenal really is mostly about the damage, so what could you do to them to make their numbers drop while keeping them useful?

Thanks for the post :)

This is more or less what I am trying to get at. I personally love seeing large numbers on my sorcerer but I'd rather help my team with objective then to just go after large groups of people so I can get my overall damage way up.

I really do not see any PVE issues

For raiding I love running full lightning

People have showed me the numbers and why 13/28 madness is uber dps when compared to the lightning builds but personally I do not see the difference.

I really do not see any PVE issues

For raiding I love running full lightning

People have showed me the numbers and why 13/28 madness is uber dps when compared to the lightning builds but personally I do not see the difference.

You can't see the difference because there are no combat logs, and you probably have other rDPS to make up for your loss of DPS. But mathematically, as all spreadsheet numbers should be taken, hybrid is superior DPS to full lightning. Particularly because there not that many stand still and turret fights in operations.