Autoface: The reason why ranged is imbalanced

Stealthsultan

Credentials (before I get trolled too hard).

Played mele through 2 Wow expansions successfully (Dk and rogue didn't do much arena made videos). If you watch you can see I have a upper echelon grasp of the mechanics of a mele class

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=184375

Cut my teeth on warlock through 3 expansions with an average of 2.4k rating rival titles in wizcleave and non wizcleave seasons.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=163905

I don't take myself seriously and know what its like to be OP (I always admit OPness in my own class)

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/pv.php?lid=714289&movie_id=157327

Back to the issue at hand:

Autoface has been standard on channeled spells since as long as I remember (7 years or so), but autoface on casted spells/abilities I have never even seen before. Having autoface for casted spells (plus the fact that you cannot lock out spell trees, just individual spells) is a very bad combination. This takes away one of namesakes of a mele class in an mmo: you don't want to engage them in mele range as a caster, kiting and opening distance is what skill as a caster is all about. My favorite example is if you white-bar my gunslinger: GG bro I'll shoot you even if your in my hitbox and I have higher dps, more defense as I spin rapidly firing off casted nukes.

This will increase the game's skillcap with minimal repercussions (people will adapt) and give mele less excuse to QQ.

(I play: Sage, Scoundrel, Gunslinger)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't disagree with this one.

While it's funny to sit there casting Tracer Missiles at melee that are hopping around me and having my toon spin like an NPC caster to auto-face them, it really isn't right. By and large melee are already screwed in PvP in this game, ranged has so many advantages it's not even funny.

Hell, I don't even need to really pay attention to where my target is most of the time, I can just Tab to pick someone and start casting Tracer and oh there they are, I'm facing them now. Hi bro!

(Guardian and Mercenary here)

First: Posting that you played a PvE centric game for a few years does nothing for your pvp "credentials."

Second: In said PvE game, one of the major flaws was no clipping between players. This game, ToR, also has that same flaw. One of the major problems with no clipping is one player can run directly through another player so you cannot tell where they are. WoW did nothing really to fix this. ToR's bandaid fix has been to let skills stay autotargeted while they are being used.

ToR's system is slightly better though still not great. You are attacking one of the few things ToR has done right because it is different than another bad pvp game.

Melee is totally fine in SWTOR, better than it has been in many of the MMOs I have played to date. It is harder to play well, it always is, if you know what you are doing it will be very rewarding and you will roll people. The issue with melee in SWTOR is that more people are playing it than usual due to lightsabers being cool and are not happy about getting wtfpwnt by classes that are easier to play.

I understand people not liking autofacing but it discourages a really lame PvP behavior. Running through people and bunny hopping for extra speed when turning is weak, one didn't have to be "skilled" to do it and it made past games look utterly ridiculous. Should we have collision? Of course... but we don't so autofacing 4tw imo.

Apparently necessary credentials - played PvP focused melee for an extended period in the following games: Shadowbane, FFXI, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, L2, DDO, WAR, AoC

Edited by SWImara

First: Posting that you played a PvE centric game for a few years does nothing for your pvp "credentials."

Second: In said PvE game, one of the major flaws was no clipping between players. This game, ToR, also has that same flaw. One of the major problems with no clipping is one player can run directly through another player so you cannot tell where they are. WoW did nothing really to fix this. ToR's bandaid fix has been to let skills stay autotargeted while they are being used.

ToR's system is slightly better though still not great. You are attacking one of the few things ToR has done right because it is different than another bad pvp game.

never once in my 7 years of WoW have i ever had a problem turning while casting when players run through me......u cast if they run through you you hold your right mouse and turn with them....its simple, there is no need for auto facing

I'm not sure why running through someone is considered "lame" or something. It's not like it stops them from casting, it really only works against people who are keyboard turning or are otherwise very slow in their movements.

Heck, even in games with collision detection (AoC) people still would run around casters just fine, because it still forces the caster to do more than just mash his spells and often overwhelms less coordinated players as they're forced to multitask with their controls. So I'm not sure why people are talking as though this is some new and unique thing to that "other" game.

never once in my 7 years of WoW have i ever had a problem turning while casting when players run through me......u cast if they run through you you hold your right mouse and turn with them....its simple, there is no need for auto facing

If it never was an issue to turn when people ran through you, how does autofacing harm gameplay? The purpose of running through people was to make people mess up casting due to having to turn, whether or not you could counteract it (I'm proud of you) that was the point of it.

Heck, even in games with collision detection (AoC) people still would run around casters just fine, because it still forces the caster to do more than just mash his spells and often overwhelms less coordinated players as they're forced to multitask with their controls. So I'm not sure why people are talking as though this is some new and unique thing to that "other" game.

Emm I don't think anyone is saying that run-throughs and bunnyhopping were new or unique to WoW, they were however negative and autofacing counteracts their value. In AoC and other games with collision you have to run around someone, even for a competent strafer this is not as fast as a run-through.

Edited by SWImara

If it never was an issue to turn when people ran through you, how does autofacing harm gameplay? The purpose of running through people was to make people mess up casting due to having to turn, whether or not you could counteract it (I'm proud of you) that was the point of it.

cuz it wasnt an issue for me, i dont suck.......

it shouldnt be an issue, it shouldnt exist....u either turn the toon so the cast lands or you dont and the player juked you....

how people would ever approve of autofacing is ridiculous.....it takes away manual dodging by melee players in melee range where they should have an advantage if they can juke people

Edited by Vegathegreat

You realize that no mmo (including the vaunted DAOC) is perfect and that swtor was in large part inspired by wow. What pvp credentials should I post? Anyone who watches me play can see that I know what I am talking about.

If you never had an issue, you should have no problem with it removed, end of story. Its a major problem for shadows/assassins due to their need to back stab not being achievable.

Edited by Stealthsultan

the idea behind ranged is that ranged should not tank melee.

Outside of pure survival facing and school lockout were main reasons for that

In here? its like meh meh meh. Probably lowest skill cam mmo i had pleasure to play - outside maybe AoC that were just a joke due to all the bugs.

You may say apple or oranges but its just doomhammer for the game .

Oh! It's a WoW thing. I was wondering why people were jumping around me like headless chickens.

its not a WoW thing, its a staple of MMO's.....juking people in melee range adds an element to pvp....taking that away so people can aimlessly mash buttons just gives people more of a reason to suck...

i assume they are trying to make the game more appealing to a "clicker" but they should be doing the opposite.......

Edited by Vegathegreat

its not a WoW thing, its a staple of MMO's.....juking people in melee range adds an element to pvp....taking that away so people can aimlessly mash buttons just gives people more of a reason to suck...

Pretty much that. It's silly when the game does something for you - in this case rotating your character for you - in a PvP situation. Hell, auto-facing or auto-aiming mods are considered hacks in other Player-versus-Player games.

Edited by Bovinity

lol if the tank/melee can't kill range in a position where auto face matters the melee just stinks. Maybe quit hoppin like a fool?

Give me a break. In WoW if you're a caster facing a melee, you aren't getting a spell with a cast time off that requires facing the target. The only time this will happen is if the melee is completely terrible.Nine times out of ten you can run through a player faster than he can cast.

Edited by Griminal

You realize that no mmo (including the vaunted DAOC) is perfect and that swtor was in large part inspired by wow. What pvp credentials should I post? Anyone who watches me play can see that I know what I am talking about.

How does this refute any of the relevant and well-thought-out points in the post you quoted? Skill is subjective to ego/bias where the quote stated game mechanics in support of their view.

Back on topic-personally I really don't have a problem with auto-facing on my Shadow. If it's a BH I LoS them around any number of the obstacles that are around the landscape. If it's a Sorceror/Sniper I eat them for lunch.

Edited by Belecfaron

Give me a break. In WoW if you're a caster facing a melee, you aren't getting a spell with a cast time of that requires facing the targeting if the melee player isn't completely terrible.

Really? Because decent casters have no issue doing it without the game holding their hand. Maybe keyboard turners or people with crap reaction time have issues, but then they should be getting dominated anyway if they're that slow.

Oh! It's a WoW thing. I was wondering why people were jumping around me like headless chickens.

Its not a wow thing: its an every single other major mmo in existence (to my knowledge).

Try this as an experiment with a friend: take a sniper/gunslinger and pit them against a equally geared mele class (for this example use no stuns, they cannot be interrupted in cover anyway) in mele range. I'll take the sniper vs anything (maybe pyrotech can get em).

Really? Because decent casters have no issue doing it without the game holding their hand. Maybe keyboard turners or people with crap reaction time have issues, but then they should be getting dominated anyway if they're that slow.

Again, decent casters are doing it against terrible melee. If you are playing a melee who isn't absolutely terrible than it's not happening.I can run through your character 5 times by the time you get off a 2 second cast. Give me a break. Which means the only time you're getting a cast off against someone is if they're completely terrible or you happen to get lucky and they dont move just before you get your cast off or you move just perfectly in time.

I'm not defending auto facing. Don't get mistaken. I'm simply pointing out the stupidity of your post. I mean if it were as easy as you are claiming it is, why does every single ranged character have multiple abilities to get out of range of a melee?

Edited by Griminal

lol if the tank/melee can't kill range in a position where auto face matters the melee just stinks. Maybe quit hoppin like a fool?

dude your missing the point, restrictions like this are bad.......you take away elements that allow people to excel......

now lets say you are fighting 2 people, both casters, one a healer and the other a tracer spammer.....by allowing the tracer spammer to auto face you cant interupt the healer's heals and juke the tracer spammer, u just get stuck eating his missles unless you get someone else to interupt him....when without this I could "attempt" to juke the tracers by running around the BH who should be adjusting to my movements.

If you do not see how this makes pvp bland and boring and a complete downgrade from other MMO's then you are just in a bubble....

Warzone lag must be resolved before they make such a significant game mechanic change. If not, there is potential abuse of lag to make it much more difficult than it should be I know where a melter character is in relation to ur own.

In short, I agree that auto face decreases skill cap, but currently Warzone lag is too bad o allow this theoretical skill to even come into play.