Why can't other species use the extra Human hairstyles?

SW_display_name

You're all overthinking this.

The Cartel Market team is separate from the main dev team. This has been said many times. Which means the CM team has to work within the existing limitations and doesn't always have the luxury of getting even small changes into engine. Basically they're slapping more content into existing slots.

They were told to do new human hairstyles, they slapped them into existing slots. No one thought of telling them to add these hairstyles to all races, so they didn't. That's, at least, the most likely scenario.

They stopped doing the additional character creation stuff out of nowhere. They were also numbered as in they clearly planned to do more.

Either the reaction was so overwhelmingly negative that they stopped or they didn't sell enough to continue doing them or both. It's extremely doubtful that they stopped doing them because nobody told them to continue.

These complaints go all the way back to beta.

especially:

>last gen character creation system

>cyborgs somehow being it's own race instead of a customization option.

>sith "pure blood" being a race despite them already being extinct by this point in time.

Sith Pureblood is a misnomer in reference to the playable race that exists in the game.

Their was a famous quote from back in the day with some dev trying to claim people didn't actually care what their character looked like. They just hit the random button a few times and went with whatever they thought looked decent.

This is actually true.

While not everybody who plays MMOs operates this way, a lot of people do. I'd say that the majority of people who play MMOs don't spend a lot of time customizing their character's looks. It may seem like the majority of players on a forum, but when you realize that's only a couple 100 people at most compared to the millions of people that will/might play an MMO it's obvious that those 100 represent a niche audience.

I wish the Cathar had access to more hairstyles, I can't seem to make one I am happy with primarily because of the hair. Maybe I just need to find them a good hat or something.

Regarding the customisation packs, I find them overpriced. I have been wanting to try out the Chiss customisations, but the CC cost seems unreasonably high and I never see them on the GTN.

Edited by Solloby

Either the reaction was so overwhelmingly negative that they stopped or they didn't sell enough to continue doing them or both. It's extremely doubtful that they stopped doing them because nobody told them to continue.

The question is "Why can't other species use the extra Human hairstyles?"

There is no objective reason for them not to. No new unlocks coming. It's just that no one made a decision to open these hairstyles to all species. No decision, no action.

It is particular mind-boggling when you can add hair to Zabracks messing with the horns a big time. I mean, I still can't picture Zabracks shaving heads around a dozen of horns in assorted shapes and sizes. Judging by Bao Dur's performance, nothing stops a Zabrack from doing STUPID things if he puts his mind to it, but that's just tops the charts. Edited by DomiSotto

Sith Pureblood is a misnomer in reference to the playable race that exists in the game.

This is actually true.

While not everybody who plays MMOs operates this way, a lot of people do. I'd say that the majority of people who play MMOs don't spend a lot of time customizing their character's looks. It may seem like the majority of players on a forum, but when you realize that's only a couple 100 people at most compared to the millions of people that will/might play an MMO it's obvious that those 100 represent a niche audience.

I think this is both true and false.

I believe it is more a case of when you are new and you are focused on starting your play, you are more likely to take available names and do minimal customization on your character in order to jump into the game as quick as possible.

It is only after playing awhile that you realize the name you thought was quirky or interesting is actually pretty dumb sounding and what you thought looked good on the creator screen now has issues or flaws you wished you had noticed at the start.

So I believe it is players who stick around and start rolling alts who probably spend more time on naming and customization than players who are new.

I also believe that player who spend time customizing their characters and naming them are likely to be more invested in their characters than those than use randomization options, and thus are more likely to continue playing the game and making purchases on the CM.

Edited by DawnAskham

I think this is both true and false.

I believe it is more a case of when you are new and you are focused on starting your play, you are more likely to take available names and do minimal customization on your character in order to jump into the game as quick as possible.

It is only after playing awhile that you realize the name you thought was quirky or interesting is actually pretty dumb sounding and what you thought looked good on the creator screen now has issues or flaws you wished you had noticed at the start.

So I believe it is players who stick around and start rolling alts who probably spend more time on naming and customization than players who are new.

I also believe that player who spend time customizing their characters and naming them are likely to be more invested in their characters than those than use randomization options, and thus are more likely to continue playing the game and making purchases on the CM.

Yes, that is true, however it sort of only applies to MMOs with smaller populations, or rather everything except WoW.

They went into this game thinking it was going to be the next WoW, and had that been the case with it having millions of subs that old statement of theirs would've still held true because with that many people playing the odds are always going to be that the majority don't care that much about it. Of course the fallout from that now is that it's super limited or not as robust as it could be.

At this point what's done is done in terms of how the game was made. They can't go back and redo the character creation system and add things like a bunch of sliders and whatnot BUT still given that fact the character creation system still really sucks based within it's own limitations.

For instance even working in the confines of the existing body types there's still a ton that can be done with textures even without generating new art assets. They have two separate Zabrak races when all they needed was one. The Twi'leks have different skin and marking options based on faction until you unlock the race, then you can use all the features. With the Zabrak you don't, instead you have two separate races because one has smooth/rounded horns while the other has sharp/pointed, but they could've made them like the Twilek's markings where they're faction based until you unlock them.

Speaking of the Zabrak, why do they have a combined horns & hair option? So that their horns don't clip through the hair? They're F'ing horns, that's what horns do. Horns and Hair could've easily been separate categories with all the available styles and nobody would've complained about horns sticking through the hair.

I mean, I still can't picture Zabracks shaving heads around a dozen of horns in assorted shapes and sizes. Judging by Bao Dur's performance, nothing stops a Zabrack from doing STUPID things if he puts his mind to it, but that's just tops the charts.

Maybe they have some sort of topical hair-removing cream. Like Nair, only more high-tech.

• 5 months later...

Think about all the games you know of that feature really robust character creators. Stuff like APB, The Sims 4, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Wresting games, etc, etc. Now how many of those games have the type of cutscenes like TOR does? Oh that's right zero. If they have cutscenes they're generally all wide shots that are going to fit your character into the frame regardless of their size.

Also when you start adjusting stuff like height then a number of problems a rise like combat animations or the character's no longer fitting on mounts correctly.

Armors also present a problem, especially with a lot of the bulky PVP/PVE armors. They have to be fitted to a mesh. A body adjusted with all sorts of sliders either wouldn't be able to display the armor at all, would cause deformities in the armor because of the adjustments, or the armor would just retain one of the existing sizes, meaning stuff like bigger arms wouldn't be reflected on the armor.

City of Heroes got around all of those problems with cut scenes, so it can obviously be done. The costuming options far outstripped any armor options available in TOR also.

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread in 3...2...1... BOOM.

Hey there, I found this post just after I was trying to create a Miraluka character. Then I figured out that there aren't any good customization option for hairstyles for them. But, by some reason, I went to my Appearance Designer into my SH and I found something very strange and weird:

If we can't share the human hairstyles with all species, why the HELL there are options to see HUMAN Hairstyles 1 with Miraluka specie? Can someone explain this to me? I was trying to customize something unique but with that race is really difficult, not enough options and don't even speaking about the lacking options for masks, so much annoying. But again, if you check it, you can see that you are able to set Human Hairstyles 1 into Miraluka's species. However, if you press the change appearance button it do not apply and an error message pop up...

So what? We can see human hairstyles 1 absolutely fine checking into AD but we cannot match it up? What's the deal? Is there a mistake in AD development which allow us to see another races with unique customizations of other one's? To the hell with that.

Hairstyles, beard, jewelery and tattoos SHOULD be available to customize independent of the race you choose. Just saying.

I guess I will send an in-game ticket to BW reporting the situation I've narrated above, just to receive another programmed answer like: "We appreciate your help and we are always trying to make Star Wars: The Old Republic a better game. Also, we suggest you to make this suggestion into the suggestion box in the Forum." - (or something close to that).:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

So I was customizing my Chiss today and noticed a purple addition to my slider (it may have been there for quite some time but I rarely go back to change appearance options) and I noticed that I could slide onto hair types that I can't use. Am I doing something wrong? Or is human-only hair styles still a thing? I know it's been mentioned here in the past but dang. Come on.

This really needs to change, it needed to change a long time ago. I know that there are a lot of various issues that many of us have (even for those of us who love this game) and I know for me personally there are several and most of them stem around the cartel market (Reskinning items that should be unique to raids or events/forcing mounts to be bound to a character rather than an account/etc.) however, I often argue with myself that maybe they really need to be that way so that they have enough money to stay staffed. But hair?

I don't want everything in game to be free, I want Bioware to make as much money as possible (and continue to develop regular content/fixes/etc. with that money) but I also want them to stop trying to charge us for making our character how we wish. In my estimation, they should have made those options available to be used for free by anyone, but barring that, there's no reason that the human hair pack shouldn't/couldn't apply to every race with the EXACT SAME hair models at character creation. Maneuvers specifically like this are the reason that I get upset with the cartel market. :mad:

Pretty sure the easy answer to all this is; "why bother?"

Besides, is plastic hair that important? might as well argue for **** physix, the engine will give you the same answer, "lol....no"

edit : wow, b00b is censored? o.O

Edited by Kaliedo

The engine isn't the issue since the hairstyles already exist, in fact they aren't even going on anything that doesn't already have hair, as it happens you can even use those hairstyles in the character customizer. That's why it's irritating.

We could have another, small layer of customization for our characters and rather than give us something even this inconsequential it would appear that BW is holding onto it so they can charge us for packs for each individual race and charging a larger amount by adding hairstyles we don't need/want.

That said; I'd still pay for the whole pack if they'd simply make it available. Maybe it will be in with the Xpac; which they are very generously not charging their Subs for... but darnit Bioware my Chiss Shadow needs those long and lustrous locks! :rak_01:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have to jump on this bandwagon as well, seems to be no logical reason that these hairstyles aren't available to all humanoid races. I can only assume that the requests for them got drowned out by everyone's long list of game play complaints.

I never understood this discrepancy between human hairstyles and non-human hairstyles at all. To me, their bodies look all the same, so why not the heir shape as well ?

Only exceptions are Twi'lek, Togruta and Cathar.

... Reminds me a bit of the current Oscar prize discussions ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer