What reason would aliens have to be loyal to the Empire?

Xilizhra

I ask this primarily in the context of the Sith Inquisitor story, but it's also an issue for the Agent (the Warrior seems to be part of a prestigious bloodline even if an alien, while the Bounty Hunter is just doing business). It's just most awkward for the Inquisitor, because they were specifically a slave and would seem to have little to no reason to be loyal to the Empire anyway unless it was through the heritage of the Sith purebloods, but the Empire's speciesism would seem to decay even more potential ways in which they could decide to be loyal. Maybe it's just because I'm light-sided, but I'm having a hard time getting into character as a Twi'lek inquisitor; I would start up a new Sith pureblood, but that'd entail replaying everything, something I don't really want to do.

I ask this primarily in the context of the Sith Inquisitor story, but it's also an issue for the Agent (the Warrior seems to be part of a prestigious bloodline even if an alien, while the Bounty Hunter is just doing business). It's just most awkward for the Inquisitor, because they were specifically a slave and would seem to have little to no reason to be loyal to the Empire anyway unless it was through the heritage of the Sith purebloods, but the Empire's speciesism would seem to decay even more potential ways in which they could decide to be loyal. Maybe it's just because I'm light-sided, but I'm having a hard time getting into character as a Twi'lek inquisitor; I would start up a new Sith pureblood, but that'd entail replaying everything, something I don't really want to do.

That's because Bioware cave in and introduced the Zabrak fairly late in the development of the game. Just like Pure Blood weren't available for Sith Inquisitors, you could only roll a Human, a Pure Blood or a Cyborg for the Sith Warrior storyline. Chiss were also an Imperial Agent exclusive and Ratttataki weren't available either.

Either way, I guess that any alien who would favor a meritocracy, pull his own weight, despite overwhelming odds and be successful while at it, would be loyal to the Empire. Don't have an issue perceiving it.

Also, it's possible that maybe the Republic screwed over the illustrious member of said species? For instance, I do remember the Republic arresting this Cathar Prince named Shange(?) on Belsavis and once released, he was going to blow the lid on the whole thing. That would most likely explain Cathar on the imperial military, like Captian Hanthor?

That's because Bioware cave in and introduced the Zabrak fairly late in the development of the game. Just like Pure Blood weren't available for Sith Inquisitors, you could only roll a Human, a Pure Blood or a Cyborg for the Sith Warrior storyline. Chiss were also an Imperial Agent exclusive and Ratttataki weren't available either.

Either way, I guess that any alien who would favor a meritocracy, pull his own weight, despite overwhelming odds and be successful while at it, would be loyal to the Empire. Don't have an issue perceiving it.

Also, it's possible that maybe the Republic screwed over the illustrious member of said species? For instance, I do remember the Republic arresting this Cathar Prince named Shange(?) on Belsavis and once released, he was going to blow the lid on the whole thing. That would most likely explain Cathar on the imperial military, like Captian Hanthor?

Wouldn't the race-based caste system and apparent importance of bloodlines, not to mention the slavery thing, somewhat preclude the Empire from being a true meritocracy? And how do you screw over members of other species more than, well, everything the Empire does?

I originally thought that it'd have to do with the Republic's corruption and that the Empire wouldn't allow itself to sink as low into that as the Republic does... but on Nar Shaddaa, the Empire is totally fine with working with the Hutt Cartel, and indeed seems to have a somewhat better relationship with it than the Republic does. And then there's the question of why I wouldn't just join Darth Malgus when he went off to do his thing. Plus the minor but still irksome problem of how it makes no real sense for Kallig to be a Twi'lek, as the lekku could never fit into his mask.

Wouldn't the race-based caste system and apparent importance of bloodlines, not to mention the slavery thing, somewhat preclude the Empire from being a true meritocracy?

If you played Makeb already, then you know that the Empire is trying to loosen those restrictions, so your point is kinda moot, not to mention that the whole Red Reaper incident happened because they were ALREADY loosening said restrictions. You even get to see Darth Ikoral killing a Zabrak Sith Lord and on the Imperial Agent storyline, there's this Kaleesh who becomes Sith Lord as well. I believe his name was Lord Razor or something.

And how do you screw over members of other species more than, well, everything the Empire does?

By claiming NOT to be like the Empire and yet have places like Belsavis clearly showing otherwise? Project Noble Focus is an outstanding example of what I'm saying, not to mention the Cathar Prince I already mentioned.

I originally thought that it'd have to do with the Republic's corruption and that the Empire wouldn't allow itself to sink as low into that as the Republic does... but on Nar Shaddaa, the Empire is totally fine with working with the Hutt Cartel, and indeed seems to have a somewhat better relationship with it than the Republic does.

Why wouldn't they? The Hutt Cartel, despite being a minor power, is a power nonetheless and having the Empire going against the Cartel, when they have their hands full with the Republic, would be silly to say the least.

Also, last I checked, the Cartel and the Empire have a lot of in common, starting with one thing: The endorsement of slavery. The Republic feels otherwise.

And then there's the question of why I wouldn't just join Darth Malgus when he went off to do his thing. Plus the minor but still irksome problem of how it makes no real sense for Kallig to be a Twi'lek, as the lekku could never fit into his mask.

There's always Sith alchemy. Plus, can we even trust Lord Kallig or what he says? How do we know he's telling the truth to begin with?

If you played Makeb already, then you know that the Empire is trying to loosen those restrictions, so your point is kinda moot, not to mention that the whole Red Reaper incident happened because they were ALREADY loosening said restrictions. You even get to see Darth Ikoral killing a Zabrak Sith Lord and on the Imperial Agent storyline, there's this Kaleesh who becomes Sith Lord as well. I believe his name was Lord Razor or something.

By claiming NOT to be like the Empire and yet have places like Belsavis clearly showing otherwise? Project Noble Focus is an outstanding example of what I'm saying, not to mention the Cathar Prince I already mentioned.

Why wouldn't they? The Hutt Cartel, despite being a minor power, is a power nonetheless and having the Empire going against the Cartel, when they have their hands full with the Republic, would be silly to say the least.

Also, last I checked, the Cartel and the Empire have a lot of in common, starting with one thing: The endorsement of slavery. The Republic feels otherwise.

There's always Sith alchemy. Plus, can we even trust Lord Kallig or what he says? How do we know he's telling the truth to begin with?

I've not played Makeb yet; actually, I'm only as far as Tatooine. I can understand the Republic issues with Belsavis and the like, but I can never really see her liking the idea of slavery much, having come from it herself, and I pictured her as detesting the Hutts.

I have a female Twi'lek inquisitor toon and I think I can answer some of these questions from my point of view of how I developed her based on my research of the SW universe and tying it in to my character

Let's begin with the slavery thing. Your character, like mine was a slave. But we were also discovered to be force sensitive. That's an important thing to consider among the Empire because the Sith Emperor's edict is for all force sensitives who are under the jurisdiction of the Empire to be sent to Korriban to be trained as Sith or die. Since you were already on Korriban when your force sensitivity was discovered you didn't have a choice in the matter, so off your toon went. The Sith Code tells us is that the power of the force shall break our chains and set us free, and as such us being force sensitive freed our toons from the chains of slavery. Tying it in with my toon it is very common for twi'lek females to be used as slaves or dancers because of their beauty. She does detest slavery but at the same time slavery among her people is so common it has become an institution of sorts, and a very profitable one at that.

The Empire's relationship with alien species is complicated. Yes there are members of the Empire (both sith and non-sith) who are xenophobic however at the same time you have two alien species entrenched into the Empire, the Chiss and Sith Purebloods. So it's not that they completely turn their backs on aliens. The Sith species were discovered by the dark Jedi long before the empire existed. The dark Jedi discovered the force sensitivity of the species and subjected them and made their home with them on Korriban. Eventually they interbred with them. The Chiss became part of the Empire after they surrendered to them and became allies. But they still have their own culture and society separate from the Empire. My toon is aware of the xenophobia persistent within the empire and is reminded of it. But she stands her ground and throws it back at them, telling them their attitude stinks or expressing her discontent of their views. She's along the thought of I am alien, I am Sith, suck it up and deal with it. She can care less about their views.

At face value there is very little reason for an alien slave to be loyal to the Empire and my toon is the same way. My toon actually can care less about the Empire but she does have some loyalty to it. After all it was the Empire that took her out of slavery because of the Emperor's edict, and after proving herself in the tombs of Korriban she has a place among the Empire, despite her status as a alien and ex-slave. But she does want to see some changes and it is her hope among her position in the Sith Order she can nudge those changes.

On the issue with Kalig. It is actually a simple one to resolve. Twi'leks and humans can interbreed and produce hybrids. It was made canon with Shaeeah and Jek Lawquane in The Clone Wars series episode "The Deserter". Their mother was a Twil'lek named Suu Lawquane and their father was a unknown human.

Edited by NightshadeBlue

Apparently, every alien in the Empire is Erhard Milch.

Except for the Chiss, whose Agents seem to hold dual loyalties to the Empire and the Ascendency. However, the straightness of that combined with the Empire's general unpleasantness keeps making me not really want to continue further, and only the interestingness of the general plot and my interest in uncovering dark side lore keeps me continuing.

Except for the Chiss, whose Agents seem to hold dual loyalties to the Empire and the Ascendency. However, the straightness of that combined with the Empire's general unpleasantness keeps making me not really want to continue further, and only the interestingness of the general plot and my interest in uncovering dark side lore keeps me continuing.

That could be something to get into character for. Have no loyalties to the Empire, rather use them as a vehicle to help your character uncover dark side lore. Would be appropriate given that inquisitors consider themselves masters of the dark side.

You don't have to be loyal to the Empire to be a part of it or to decide that furthering its goals also furthers your own. My Inquisitor wants power. He gains more and more power to put his past as a slave behind him and make those who made him and his family slaves pay. That doesn't really fit in with the Republic. For now that means pretending to be a loyal member of the Empire but eventually he will rise up, overthrow the Dark Council and the Emperor and establish his own rule.

As for your issue with Kallig being a Twilek, who says he is? You are a Twilek but there's no reason why your distant ancestors couldn't be a Twilek female and a human, Sith or other species male called Kallig. That would even help explain why the descendant of a famous Sith lord was an unknown slave.

Plus, can we even trust Lord Kallig or what he says? How do we know he's telling the truth to begin with?

^^^^^^^

So very much this. Glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of breaks in logic in the Inquisitor story. I heard somewhere that it underwent extensive revisions just prior to beta release, and that Chapter 3 was essentially scrapped and re-written to the mess that it is today. But given the original racial choices for the SI, and dialogue choices if you play a Twi'lek (I have both Human and Twi'lek Inq), the "cannon" SI is almost certainly an alien. To wit, Lord Kallig is almost certainly not.

There was thread after thread on the forums at launch that went to great pains to explain how Lord Kallig's family interbred with alien slaves to produce the SI. The only explanation that makes sense, and simplest, is that Kallig is lying to you when he says you are "family."

SI Story Spoilers, do not click if you haven't played through.

Why is he lying? Well, I suspect the original Chapter 3 addressed that, or perhaps future chapters that have since been postponed. I don't buy the whole "restoring his family line to greatness" B.S. As a rule, Sith don't do a damned thing if not to help themselves, even Sith ghosts. It stands to reason that once the SI dealt with Zash and Thanaton, Kallig planned on taking the SI's body for himself. After all, he was the most powerful ghost in the Dark Temple, and was the one responsible for corrupting ALL of the troops and reclamation folks that got sent there in an effort to "rebuild" his life as a Sith Lord; every Imperial Story Line on DK touches on that situation. So, in walks the Inquisitor, who has an innate sensitivity to spirits, who is being primed as a vessel for her master. I'm pretty sure his first thought was "well, what's good for Zash be good for Kallig." His second thought was "Hey! Flesh of my flesh, good to see ya!" O_o Right...

That said, it's pretty ironic that Malgus, in his defeat, got pretty much exactly what he wanted. Life in the Empire after Makeb is certainly easier for an Alien than it was before. Of course, that's mainly because the Empire is losing at the beginning of Makeb, and their primary purpose is filling their ranks rather than equal treatment under Imperial Law. In playing the IA story through as a Chiss, even as the only official alien "ally" of the Empire, you still pretty much catch relentless crap for being a Chiss.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the new Alien initiatives play out in future expansions for the Empire.

Edited by Mercurial_Harpy
spoiler tags

the "cannon" SI is almost certainly an alien. To wit, Lord Kallig is almost certainly not.

That logic goes all downhill once you talk to Talos, who will tell you that, depending on your own race, a) Kallig was special for his time as he wasn't xenophobic, or b) Kallig was special for his time for being an alien. I think it's just a matter of the thing not being properly thought through by BW. After all, your own lekku fit under the mask aswell.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, why would a ghost even manifest with a mask? :confused:

Edited by Darkelefantos

Those who gain access to power often ignore the negatives of the system that gives them that power. If you're a slave and people start telling you you're important and have potential to rule all and you have to do is fight to survive... well, you have a choice. Eat or be eaten. And once you figure out this system is working to your advantage, then you either don't care or you strategize to change the system from within. I mean, the whole storyline is basically you bickering with other sith who technically enslaved you, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. What actually makes me bored and uninterested in the story is the very fact that you are fighting personal vendettas with other sith instead of doing anything incredibly 'special'. It's like musical chairs but with blood, and frankly it's overdone.

Now, if EA/Bioware hired the 'House of Cards' writers to at least add some moderate political intrigue and strategy and forethought into the story, that would be another thing entirely. But at the moment it just seems like kids crying in a sandbox and hitting eachother over a toy. Blah.

Edited by Velnora

It's easy to understand why SI would be 'loyal' to the Empire, IMO. My take on the storyline is that the SI has every intention of taking the Emperor's spot and ruling the Empire some day. Why would you want to mess up your Empire? Well, any more than necessary to wrest it from the current owner, at any rate.

Plus the minor but still irksome problem of how it makes no real sense for Kallig to be a Twi'lek, as the lekku could never fit into his mask.

Humans and Twi'leks can interbreed. There were two mixed kids on Clone Wars a few years ago. And if you really pay attention you can see some Twi'leks with human shaped ears rather than cone ones.

So odds are a Twi'lek Inquisitor just has a bit of human blood from Kallig in them.

Humans and Twi'leks can interbreed. There were two mixed kids on Clone Wars a few years ago. And if you really pay attention you can see some Twi'leks with human shaped ears rather than cone ones.

So odds are a Twi'lek Inquisitor just has a bit of human blood from Kallig in them.

Oddly, all male Twi'leks seem to have human ears, but the females have cones.

I like to play Chiss, Pureblood, and Zabrak. I unlocked Twi'lek for my legacy, but I just have one BH and one Smuggler playing as Lekkies.

Also, sorry to get scientific here, but:

The Lekku and "cone ears" are dominant traits of the Twi'lek race. Therefore, nearly any humanoid baby could probably have their DNA slightly overwritten by Twi'lek versus whatever other race they are. so, you would basically have blue Zabrak with lekkus or something, Lekkued Rattataki, Lekkued Chiss, and wierd-colored humans.

Edited by Xakthul