Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

jsalemi
03.26.2012 , 09:28 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
It's sad that no one else wanted to say something about our thoughts.
However we should overwork the guide as soon as 1.2 has been released.
I found this thread while looking for info on enforcer vs field tech, and it's a great discussion. I currently play a sab/df hybrid (http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...6efe2f8e3f2e3:), but the 1.2 changes may tip me more into sab again (the snare on IG will be a big help in pvp). So I'll be following this thread.

/subscribe
"No. No way. I'm not being bait. Not this time."

kairutk
03.28.2012 , 06:35 PM | #22
I had an idea for a gunslinger build. I am not high enough level to know if it would work or not but i was wondering if someone has tried it.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#70...0oZrI0bRRbRM.1

I designed it to maximize energy and regeneration along with survivability. It doesn't receive alot of the buffs to damage that are higher up in the trees, but i am hoping that it could be made up by having a more stable rotation, that includes less flurry of bolts.

GalnarDegana
03.28.2012 , 07:32 PM | #23
Actually, in both a sharpshooter and saboteur builds, energy is pretty easy to come by, as you have Foxhole in SS and Cool Head on essentially a 1 minute cooldown in Sab. Dirty Fighting generally has more issues in it with energy, unless like Riiquiem you have a high crit rating, and use Flurry of Bolts while DoTs are ticking.

Do you plan to use this build for PvP or PvE?
Gunslinger Guide | Complete Valor Points List | Official Gunslinger Representative Questions Page
Harbinger: Geldarion ('Slinger), Shadowlands: Geldaria (Sniper)
Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman, cohost for Casual Core Radio, PvP Writer and former cohost for Corellian Run Radio

kairutk
03.28.2012 , 10:12 PM | #24
i don't think id do a lot of PVP with the build but i would try it out. my main idea was for pve. I have a scoundrel that's 47, so im not unfamiliar with smuggler play style and was looking for an interesting solution that would allow me to spam abilities almost nonstop.

GalnarDegana
03.28.2012 , 10:51 PM | #25
For PvE, your job is damage, pure and simple. You don't really need to worry too much about survival, as you have cooldowns to help that, and healers to help that.

Energy, you definitely need that, it's true. Like I said though, with Cool Head on a shorter cooldown in Sab, Contingency Charges from Sabotage Charge giving back energy (which btw, is free after Sabotage in your build, so a very large energy return, if you use Flurry of Bolts to blow up the charges), and Foxhole in Sharpshooter, you are pretty much set on energy, no problem. You don't need them all, though, just a few of them will allow you to do more DPS.

I can see that you want a hybrid build to keep a balance there, but I can't see the point of going that far up the Saboteur tree, and not taking Riot Screen for the 6% incoming damage reduction while in Cover. The last two talents in the tree are fairly optional, but they are pretty useful, because Incendiary Grenade is going to be getting a good buff in 1.2, and Blazing Speed gives an internal damage effect on Speed Shot, which bypasses armor (yay!).

And for the Sharpshooter side, Slick Shooter is just such a good talent, because it boosts crit on your primary skills! And granted, Burst Volley isn't that great right now, but in 1.2 it will be fantastic, because of the energy regen boost it will give, so you would want to take that. Then you should definitely take Trickshot while you are up here, as it is one of the highest DPS/lowest energy cost skills you can get, and you'll want to take Recoil Control to improve energy costs there, and then Deadeye increases crit damage from all of your main skills, and so on and so on...

The main point I am trying to say is, going half and half on skill trees seems kinda sad, because the *most useful* skills and talents seem to be at Tier 5 and 6 for the Gunslinger. Not saying that yours couldn't work, but I personally would definitely not want to miss out on the key skills I mentioned above.

For my survival spec for Saboteur, which I use for PvP, here is what I am using now:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bcMZrIMbRRborsZh.1

And for my PvE spec, which I use on my weekly raid nights,

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bsrbdRsRxzZbcZG.1
Gunslinger Guide | Complete Valor Points List | Official Gunslinger Representative Questions Page
Harbinger: Geldarion ('Slinger), Shadowlands: Geldaria (Sniper)
Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman, cohost for Casual Core Radio, PvP Writer and former cohost for Corellian Run Radio

Zombie-Strumpet
03.29.2012 , 12:31 AM | #26
Reaching lvl 10, I'm very new to the game and would love to advance to this class.... How do I? Lol

jsalemi
03.29.2012 , 06:08 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Zombie-Strumpet View Post
Reaching lvl 10, I'm very new to the game and would love to advance to this class.... How do I? Lol
Finish your class quests on Ord Mandell, which will lead you to the Fleet. Once there, you'll see a guy sitting on a couch by the elevator who will give you a quest to go get your advanced class.

Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
For my survival spec for Saboteur, which I use for PvP, here is what I am using now:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bcMZrIMbRRborsZh.1
Interesting build -- I may give that one a try, as I'm getting less and less enchanted with my sab/df hybrid, and as you note, IG is going to be a lot more useful in 1.2. Though I'm curious why you went for Ballistic Dampers rather than putting anything into Cover Screen. CS seems useful in pvp, since you usually can't camp in one spot all the time.

jsalemi
03.29.2012 , 06:10 AM | #28
Duplicate deleted.

Riiquiem
03.29.2012 , 11:45 AM | #29
I reach 37% tech crit chance with my 5% buff and cunning stim.
Without any buffs it's about 31.5.

With that DF is just brutal...

Btw I finished my tech-set by now and well yea I gotta admit it has its advantages but I really miss my 5 energy....

According the video I wanted to post there is a little problem.
Somehow fraps + sw tor = fps party tho I have a hell of a machine...

Still I'll try SS and SAB and some sab/df specs 'til 1.2 and will give my final feedback when 1.2 is released.
Then with the new changes and stuff I'll tell you what's changed in real pvp and not just theory crafting.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

Riiquiem
03.30.2012 , 03:18 PM | #30
Click me

Take a look at my k/d ratio and I have the highest objective score meaning I ***** enemy ball handler as much as possible and covered my team's ball handler - for those thinking I'm only zerging... I'm not. I always play very team orientated and those numbers are simply normal.

Just a random game today I wanted to share ;D

I hit 41% crit today with my buff + stim and 72% crit dmg due to surge rating.
It's like that in almost every game - even huttball

Tried SS and I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS *** AGAIN! Sab is fun tho 7 / 31 / 3 and I couldn't notice a difference actually. Even with full sab i hit always 300k - 400k.

DF still remains my favorite tho.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando