Star wars Episode 3 ( The best from the series)??

Ch_Zero

I thought it had everything you could want in a star wars movie.

Great battles, the drama of anakin turning to the dark side.

How was any movie superior to this? i can watch it over and over again.

it's perfect

"I loved you Anakin!"

"You're breaking my heart..."

"She has lost the will to live..."

"NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

It's certainly the best of the prequels...but it suffers the same flaws at the other movies where all of the characters are stoic and you just can't connect to them at all.

Exception is the Emperor. UUNNLLIMMMIITTTEEEEDD POWEERRRRRRRR!!!!

Really? Stoic?....Hmm....so I guess Anakin wasn't emotional when he found out he was going to be a father, or when he helped kill Windu? Oh I guess Obi-Wan wasn't also emotional when he found out that his student, had turned to the darkside? Or what about when Yoda was feeling the death of the jedi around him?

They all seemed pretty emotional to me.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

"I loved you Anakin!"

"NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Best Lightsaber fight of the Series. And I loved the fact where Obi is standing over Vader and tells him that he was his brother and he loved him. I can see that however what you posted above killed it for me. That Damn NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In terms of the Prequels I agree, but everyone else nailed it for me....That damn NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and the whole trying to be Frankensteins monster with the flexing....man that was bad. As well the best lightsaber dual was the end one I agree but I really really hated the "its over Anikan, I got have the high ground" he says this with a straight face after he and Anakin are jumping from section to section on the floating arm when they both held high ground only to force leap over each other.....made me think someone watched one to many muskateers movies as a kid....and hey there was alot of those LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
In terms of the Prequels I agree, but everyone else nailed it for me....That damn NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and the whole trying to be Frankensteins monster with the flexing....man that was bad. As well the best lightsaber dual was the end one I agree but I really really hated the "its over Anikan, I got have the high ground" he says this with a straight face after he and Anakin are jumping from section to section on the floating arm when they both held high ground only to force leap over each other.....made me think someone watched one to many muskateers movies as a kid....and hey there was alot of those LOL.

The last movie had so many fights, so at the end they ran low on their budget...

THEY DID THE BEST THEY COULD WITH THE RESOURCES THEY HAD!!!

GEEZ!

Some guy on the Beta Forums had this for a signature:

"It's over Anakin! I have the high ground! It's +7 Dexterity!"

"You underestimate my power. I have 56 strength, more than enough to pass a physical check roll!"

Empire Strikes Back will always be the best Star Wars movie, period.

Ep3 is the best of the prequels though, and I'd even rank it ahead of ROTJ. Man Ewoks are dumb.

For me, TESB > ANH > ROTS > ROTJ > AOTC > TPM

I will say that Attack of the Clones is a personal guilty pleasure though. Just something about it that I really like, though I do realize it's not very good.

"I loved you Anakin!"

Can we say "picking nits"? I agree that those moments were cheesy and/or piss-poor writing.

Ignore the bad moments/lines. NOW rate the movie.

I am not going to agree with the OP that it was the best in the entire series, but it does push RotJ out of the top three. Episode 4 ALWAYS brings me back to my childhood (I was in elementary school when ANH came out), so that will always be my favorite, followed VERY closely by a tossup between ESB and RotS.

WARNING: very lengthy rant ahead!!

in terms of the acrobatics and pyrotechnics of the prequels, episode i has the best lightsaber fight of them all. the duel with darth maul was so much more expertly choreographed than the seemingly endless hours of jumping and twisting we would see in episodes ii and iii. but the best lightsaber fight in star wars history is in empire strikes back, as darth vader and luke skywalker duel on the catwalk. it is, in fact, the greatest moment in the series' history, and one of the most powerfully revealing moments in recent film history. it may not have been as skillfully choreographed as the action sequences of the prequels, but it is so much more immediate and moving, from the score to the pacing to the tremendous moment of actualization. everything in the prequels was leading up to "luke, I am your father!" that's why episode iii was such an abhorrent waste. by the time the transformation of anakin skywalker is complete, the viewer realizes that he's just a whiny little sonuva***** who couldn't have his way, and thus chose the easy path. and as you forecast those glowering moments of adolescent petulence towards the towering, damning vader of empire strikes back, it just reads so *********** poorly. how could that vader, one of the greatest villains in movie history, have sprung from this unfortunately miscast teenage whelp?

i thought lucas did a fantastic job of setting up a multitude of factors for the betrayals of anakin skywalker, rather than delivering a single, cliched catalyst for his fall from grace: a denial of advancement in the jedi order. an impatience of youth. the death of his mother. a vision of his dying wife. a power hungry senator cooing into his ear at every moment, like a perverted priest. the horrific, reactionary murder of mace windu. these are all excellent contributors to a much more grand story of downfall. but lucas completely botched the execution. anakin's reaction to each of these events is sophomoric at best and poorly-acted by hayden christensen (more the fault of lucas, the film's director, than anything else. he couldn't squeeze even a mediocre performance out of daniel day lewis). episode iii is actually my least favorite of the entire series. that's not to say that i think its the worst. to me, it falls in line behind empire and a new hope, with return of the jedi in fourth place, and the dreadful episodes i and ii tied for last place...

the reason episode iii is my least favorite is that it was supposed to be a grand finale of sorts. it was supposed to show us the influences, transgressions, and happenstances that would bring us the original trilogy. and the fact that we all knew what was coming made it even more momentous, and made it even more pertinent for lucas to do right by his beloved franchise. he'd already blown his first two shots at a more modern star wars tale. the previous two prequels seemed more like high budget place-holders. they added very little to the overarching emotional narrative of anakin skywalker, and bored us all to tears with a c-span-in-space plot structure that lacked any of the punch of rebellion we witnessed in the original trilogy. and, once episode iii came, i was hoping for a redemption. i was hoping that lucas would get to work, now that the forward motion of the story would carry him and us all to very specific ends. the moment i remembered waiting for the most was that first order to exterminate the jedi. it was alluded to by obi-wan in a new hope, and so much of the weight of the series seemed to stem from that moment, as skywalker became vader, and consummated his pact with the dark side by executing the very jedi who liberated him from slavery, and took him in as one of their own, despite some of their better judgments. but instead of being the fascist purge i was hoping to witness, it was instead a glossed-over "order 66," that made very little plot sense. why did the clone troopers suddenly turn on the jedi who fought directly alongside them? because palpatine said so? were the clones programmed to abandon their allegiance upon hearing palpatine speak the order? did i just miss something in my desire to see episode iii no more than twice?

truly, no matter the explanation, it would not be sufficient enough for one of the most anticipated moments in modern movie history. darth vader was supposed to be an enforcer of evil. the stormtroopers of the original trilogy were obviously a reference to the soldiers of nazi germany, and vader was meant to represent a general of that fascism. and in episode iii, when those ties are meant to be forged in iron, lucas rushed it. i don't know what the hell he was thinking. anakin kills mace windu, pledges allegiance to palpatine, and becomes darth vader, exterminator of jedi, all in a 10-minute montage. it was supposed to be a gut punch of tremendous emotional weight!! instead, the viewer hardly has time to process what has happened. it was the ultimate anti-climax, and, nearly seven years later, i still feel cheated. the register of that sequence is so flat ad uninspired that you'd think the darth vader of the original trilogy was some secondary character with little involvement in the proceedings, and not worthy of expansion. anakin gets plenty of time in episode iii, but vader gets very little. in a 140-minute feature, you cut out some of the fluff to get at the emotional center of your main characters, ESPECIALLY when we all know who the story is about, and what is going to happen. grievous, while a cool side-villain, was an absolutely unnecessary addition. so was dooku, for that matter. so were MOST of the secondary characters across the span of the prequels. think back to that original star wars trilogy. how many characters are there really? luke, leia, han, chewbacca, c3-po, r2-d2, darth vader, lando calrissian, jabba the hutt, and the emperor. that's the ENTIRE trilogy. there are plenty of supplementary characters, of course, but they get the most minimal of screen time (boba fett springs to mind, all five minutes of him), and serve the purpose of advancing the story of the main characters. in the prequels, lucas chucks so many supplementary characters at the celluloid that its no wonder that nothing stuck. and most of them don't have anything to do. they're just dummies meant to fill up a screen of cgi experiences...

i will say that i thought the final lightsaber duel between anakin and ob-wan was well-executed in episode iii. it hit the right notes of arrogance, downfall, and heartbreak between two men who shared a bond of brotherhood, even if what came before it could not help to justify that scene's place in the movie. but its another unfortunate moment, truth be told, because it doesn't forecast right on an emotional level. with respect to plot, it makes perfect sense. but with respect to holistic resonance, it doesn't work for me. in a new hope, vader strikes down obi-wan, but he does so with a casual reacquaintance devoid of aggression. the rage that seethes in anakin at the end of episode iii is nowhere to be found. though it was a misplaced angst, anakin blamed obi-wan for everything, and i imagine years of physical and emotional torment would have eroded vader's connection to his former master even further. then, after obi-wan resurfaced from decades of hermitage, i imagine vader would have been overwhelmed with anger and anticipation at the thought of facing him again. as part of an original trilogy, the scene is masterful and resonant. as a part of a much larger sextology, however, the scene that reunites an enraged former student with his formerly adoring master feels rushed and anticlimactic. does that make sense? its clear that lucas didn't quite know what he was going to do with vader in the long term as he composed episode iv. its widely understood that he came up with the idea to paternally connect vader and luke while rewriting episode v. could anything have been done about this inconsistency between the original films and the prequels? not likely. i only bring it up because, ultimately, i think lucas should have just let his trilogy be. i think he should have ignored his impulse to go back and tell the story of the prequels altogether. its not like the story turned out to be worth telling. the first two movies are, more or less, a literal waste of time. there is SO LITTLE worthwhile story there, with respect to either plot or character development. and the third prequel took its *********** time getting to the story of anakin's transformation, then sprinted past the moment once it arrived. its almost as if lucas was afraid of that moment, afraid of failing his characters. and, in that fear, he did so anyway. make no mistake, anakin skywalker is lucas' great failure as a filmmaker...

in my opinion, if lucas could not resist that star wars itch (i understand why that would be difficult, spiritually and monetarily speaking), he should have told a new story, one separate from the lives of these characters, perhaps further into the future, rather than backward into their pasts. but i still maintain that it would have been best to leave star wars behind, and move on to different tales in different universes. as a graduate student of american literature, i can say that, in all of the books i've read, films i've watched, and stories i've consumed, the ones that resonate the most DO NOT give me all of the information available. its hemingway's iceberg theory: only 20% exists above the surface. the bulk of an iceberg is submerged. i think lucas would have been better off leaving the backstory of anakin skywalker submerged. obi-wan's exposition in episodes iv and v, and vader's redemption in episode vi, were more than enough to craft a mysterious but weighty character. its okay to pick up a story in the middle and tell it to its end. in fact, its usually preferable. the less time you spend backgrounding everything, the more time you can invest in your characters, because that's what people remember. han solo isn't a cultural force for no reason. people genuinely love that character. i loved very few of the characters in the prequels. qui-gon jinn sticks out to me, but he belonged only to a single film. obi-wan sticks out, as well, though to a lesser degree, which is a shame, because ewan mcgregor is such a fine actor. poor writing and directing failed again, in that instance, and across three movies. that's kind of it, though. i liked palpatine occasionally in the third prequel. there was a nice, fine layer of sleaze over his entreaties to anakin, but it was pretty heavy-handed, at times, particularly when he revealed himself as the emperor, and the wicked witch of the west routine kicked in. damn near everyone else in those movies is utterly forgettable. we'll knowingly, emotionally, and fondly remember "luke, i am your father" from the original trilogy. we won't remember "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO," except as an unintentional laugh. and that's what the prequels are to me. i laugh them off as uninspired drivel, useless to the grand and mythic tale of the rebellion against the empire, and pop my original vhs versions of the original star wars trilogy in my dvd/vcr combo. maybe i'll do so this weekend. its supposed to rain. seems like the right time for it...

tl;dr - episode iii, while acceptable, is hardly the good film so many people wanted it to be. the saddest part is that lucas ALMOST made a great movie. he had many of the right ingredients, but failed in the execution. its a shame that cgi overwhelmed his storytelling abilities, like a kid playing with his dad's gun. after two prequel failures, you'd think he would have ratcheted down the emphasis on cgi enough to tell the REAL, tangible story of anakin skywalker. but he persisted in overapplying the use of cgi, and failed his own characters. a new hope was a tremendously low budget sci-fi feature that charmed its generation, and many others after it. if lucas had returned to that spirit, perhaps we would have gotten the movie we desired. hell, maybe someday he'll get the urge to revise the prequels. those three movies ACTUALLY need it...

Edited by mzellmer

how could that vader, one of the greatest villains in movie history, have sprung from this unfortunately miscast teenage whelp?

I have to agree with Kevin Smith on this one: That whiny, arrogant brat is EXACTLY who would wind up becoming the galaxy's greatest villain. Someone who's confident, secure, and powerful to start with wouldn't turn to the Dark Side in search of more power.

"You're so beatiful"

"It's only because im so in love with you"

"No, it's because im so in love with you"

Yeah... no

It did it's job well though which was to connect original trilogy with prequels.

Want to know something really sad?

Lucas asked Lawrence Kasdan (the guy who rewrote The Empire Strikes Back so it didn't suck) to write the script for The Phantom Menace.

Kasdan told Lucas that he should write it himself so it would be his vision instead of someone else's.

Apparently Kasdan forgot what a terrible mess the ESB script was before he got a hold of it...

I have to agree with Kevin Smith on this one: That whiny, arrogant brat is EXACTLY who would wind up becoming the galaxy's greatest villain. Someone who's confident, secure, and powerful to start with wouldn't turn to the Dark Side in search of more power.

i agree that deep-seeded insecurity is a tremendous motivating factor for the birth of darth vader, but there is so much more at play, emotionally, than simple adolescence. it required a much finer touch, in my opinion. hitler didn't order the murders of millions because he was a failed artist, after all. the truth is that nobody really knows exactly what pushed hitler into the direction of atrocity, and that's the point. we have to dig deep into the emotional makeup of humanity to better understand ourselves so that we might not repeat the same mistakes, so that we might not appease the hitlers of the world until long after the damage is done...

such investigation is the province of art, and that's what i wanted from episode iii: a genuine exploration of the driving emotional factors that brought anakin skywalker to his ultimate doom. i got some of what i wanted. like i said, i thought lucas rather brilliantly orchestrated anakin's motivations for betrayal. but i feel like the execution was as flat as it could be. lucas' direction of those important sequences was sloppy, at best, and hayden christensen wasn't given much more to do but scowl and stomp. but the dark side isn't a temper tantrum. it is rather the slipperiest of slopes. as yoda says, "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." i wanted to see anakin slipping down that slope. i wanted to see the torment tearing him apart, as he betrayed his allies, friends, mentors, and, ultimately, his wife...

i didn't bring up padme in my rant, but she's the weakest link of them all. a truly great woman will **** up even the best of men. a truly great woman will have a man trembling on his knees, emotionally wrecked at the mere sight of her. a truly great woman is the catalyst for so many classical falls as portrayed in the arts. and, of the very few things successfully accomplished in the first two prequels, padme was established as a strong woman who was worth the wreckage one might become on her shores. lucas' direction failed her, like it failed everyone, and that led to subpar acting from natalie portman, but the plot set her up as a helen of troy figure. then, in the third prequel, she's reduced to the unflattering role of 1950's housewife, waiting on the doorstep for her man to return to hearth and home. it rendered her completely useless as a catalyst for the pain to come...

again, i really liked lucas' idea: she's pregnant with twins, anakin has a vision of her death, and he begins sliding down the dark path in search of an answer. its really great, when you think about it from a literary perspective, because anakin's vision reads more like freudian deep-seeded insecurity than some sort of premonition from the force. it reads like he's afraid of being unable to protect his wife and future children. he's afraid that he won't be the great man he's supposed to become, especially considering the strong woman that his wife is supposed to be. but the actual characterization of these ideas and emotions on screen was an absolute flop. the heat between christensen and portman was nonexistent. the way they're written and the way they're acted couldn't be further apart. it was hard to believe that they actually loved each other, and that the resultant heartbreak in the plot was worth the journey...

Edited by mzellmer

Want to know something really sad?

Lucas asked Lawrence Kasdan (the guy who rewrote The Empire Strikes Back so it didn't suck) to write the script for The Phantom Menace.

Kasdan told Lucas that he should write it himself so it would be his vision instead of someone else's.

Apparently Kasdan forgot what a terrible mess the ESB script was before he got a hold of it...

That was the worst decision ever made for the Star Wars saga.

A nice Story... bad script and too much CGI.

Its actually hard nowadays to find a novel without it overloading with action in all Novels nevermind the SW Universe.

Which is why the Darth Plageuis Novel was such a good book... it balanced really well. Same thing for the Thrawn Trilog.

I tend not to think of each episode individually. The one thing I will say is I love Palpatine's masterful manipulation of the Senate and formation of the Empire in the prequels. This alone almost (but not quite) makes the prequels as good as the original trilogy.

I honestly thought the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....!" was the best part in all 6 movies. How does no one connect to the fact that Episode III was a huge greek tragedy? That moment when Anakin knew he lost everything was most emotional scene in all of Star Wars.

People can ***** about the actors...but guess what..they can only do what they are given, not their fault. I think Ep III was a little too rushed. Everytime I watch it it seems Anakin fell too fast, though the entire movie I think is something around a couple days to a week story-wise...Anakin should have taken just a tad longer to fall. Other then that small bit I loved the entire movie.

Edited by Eillack

I personally liked all six movies. Actually, I loved all six movies and can't get enough. I generally watch one movie (in order) every two weeks or so year round. They are far from perfect, but there is enough in each of them to entertain me.

I never really understood the whole Prequel hate. People just expected far too much, and are unwilling to say anything negative about IV-V-VI. The whole series has plenty of cheesy and groan-worthy moments, it's not exclusive to the prequels.

If you look at each movie with a critical and non-biased eye, you can pick apart the script, acting, and more with no problem at all. It's all how you choose to look at it. I choose to enjoy the movies, and it works out great for me.

I have my favorites and least favorites of the series, but by no means do I dislike any of them.

As for Episode 3, I loved it. I really felt the emotional shift when the murder of the Jedi's was in place. I could feel Anakin's hurt and frustration in thinking that Obi-Wan had won over Padme and she was going to be taken from him. The final fight, in my view, was far superior than any in the original episodes as well.

I loved ROTS when I first saw it... but over time that love faded, and turned to contempt regarding a lot of its elements. Best saber duel? No... not quite. Ewan did great with what he had to work with (aside from stuff like 'only the Sith deal in absolutes!'), but the staging & choreography of the duel was terrible...

...unless it was for a video game. THEN it'd work nicely, with all the different 'phases' of the fight. "Phase 1: platform. When level boss Darth Vader loses 10% of health, move to Phase 2: inside control room. After another 10% loss, shields are disabled and we move to Phase 3..." etc, with "rope-swinging duel phase" and "hide from lava phase" and "climb falling metalwork phase" and "hover-droid chase phase".

But the most frustrating part of the duel is the very end, where Vader's completely dismembered (except his already-robotic forearm, of course, because you can't sever it TWICE!) in a single exchange. I'd hoped some of the injuries would be incurred over the course of the duel, with Obi-Wan desperately trying to end the battle and only angering Vader more, until finally Obi-Wan makes a decisive blow which leaves Vader broken and facing imminent fiery death. But, no... it's just angry Anakin fuming about how suddenly the Jedi are evil, not the dude who told him to go kill a bunch of kindergarteners until he tries to pull a TPM-Kenobi jump over Obi-Wan and loses the rest of his fleshy limbs.

For my money, the best duel of the Prequels was Yoda vs Sidious. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon vs. Maul was the flashiest, but it was all pirouettes and jumps and fancy choreography that had no emotional resonance at all, until Qui-Gon gets stabbed. Yoda vs Sidious has the future of the galaxy riding on it, leader of the Sith vs leader of the Jedi, and Yoda only loses because of one bad fall (and because the plot demanded it, of course).

But Vader vs Luke in ESB is the best overall, even if there was very little actual 'dueling' in it. More emotion riding on it even before the reveal, as you're fearing for this kid who ran off half-cocked because his friends were in danger, KNOWING it was a trap, and trying to put on a brave front against the guy who kept him from knowing his father AND killed his first mentor... and Vader's just toying with him the whole time. Then, he doesn't even use his saber, he just has it lit to taunt Luke while he uses the Force to throw crap at him. And even after all that, after being blown out a window, Luke STILL has enough left to put up a good fight and even get a glancing blow against Vader's shoulder. And then there's the end... "No, I am your father." Even knowing ahead of time what the reveal is, it's still powerful because Luke DOESN'T know. His "Noooooooooo! Noooooooo!" comes off as truly shocked and anguished, unlike Vader's "NOOOOOOOO" in ROTS... but that's partly due to the nature of Vader's voice. That voice isn't made for cries of despair.

And oh, the bad... Padme's 'Rebellion' scenes were rightly cut (bad acting all around, not a great script), but that left her to just be the dutiful wife and say a bunch of dumb lines with Anakin, and carry the kids in one of the most unrealistic pregnancies on film (Arnold Schwarzenegger was more believable as pregnant in 'Junior' than Portman was in ROTS... ESPECIALLY the painfully-scripted balcony scene with her looking like a skeleton). Sidious dispatching Mace's group so quickly, meant to show how powerful Sidious was and how unprepared the Jedi were, but so poorly executed. Anakin's turn being a one-action change, rather than a gradual buildup of all the many elements throughout the PT (they were all there, but the way the change happened seems disconnected from them, rather than him being 'seduced' by the dark side's power). The turn-on-a-dime betrayal of the clones. "Whoops, new orders. Kill the generals. Call the Chancellor 'my lord'. Don't even try to arrest or question or, y'know, WIN THE BATTLE first." The opening 'battle' which just has two Jedi starfighters flying through it, not engaging it much dogfighting, not showcasing Anakin's exceptional piloting... just 'Hey, look at all this stuff! WAY more ships than Return of the Jedi's pitiful battle! But no interesting dogfights cuz they're all essentially faceless TIE pilots: either identical clones or droids that are their own ships'. Oh, and a long chunk of it is dealing with missiles that become funny little droids that tear up ships and astromechs. And more...

Not the best of the series.