Bloody hell this gearing system is insufferable!

Lundorff

So yeah I decided what the hell, lets give it a go, and I took the leap to gear 1 (one!) character in 258. This was weeks ago and there is still no end in sight :mad:. Yes I know we have already discussed this, but ¤"%¤/%#¤%& I don't care. This system pisses me off to no end, as I can literally not play this character in ranked before I have 258 (that was the deal I made with myself).

And yes I have:

... used UCs on several support characters to send gear over

... finally reached legend rep

... done the weeklies for the monowhatever crystals needed for MH + OH

... investigated when the next gree event is coming

... looked at gtn prices (lol)

... done the 8 medals regs for crystal

... done a couple of the mind-numbing idiotic 10 dailies on ossus only to get THE SAME F¤#%#¤ ARMOR PIECE!

And still I am only up to 8 crystals for the left side on my main.

Whomever came up with this "#%¤¤%/(&)(/&%¤#¤"##"#¤%&(/&%¤ system should be <censor> <censor> and with toe-clipping <censor>.

Blah.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took me exactly 8 weeks to get full 258 on Sentinel, Shadow, Mando, Sage and their mirror class Mara, Sin, Merc, Sorc. Also, I even got 2 sets of gear for Sentinel cause i have more such toons and I have one main who keeps his gear on at all times.

This includes 258 legacy set, which is shared between the mirror classes, but also the 258 left side on each toon. So thats how long 1 toon should take you.

Took me exactly 8 weeks to get full 258 on Sentinel, Shadow, Mando, Sage and their mirror class Mara, Sin, Merc, Sorc. Also, I even got 2 sets of gear for Sentinel cause i have more such toons and I have one main who keeps his gear on at all times.

This includes 258 legacy set, which is shared between the mirror classes, but also the 258 left side on each toon. So thats how long 1 toon should take you.

Yes but you are also a filthy PvE dabbler! :p

The gear crate RNG makes me rage. So I decided to stop running the Ossus dailies. Then I thought, "oh I'll just do some dailies on my sniper since the only 252 he has is his OH." After 2 weeks of dailies, I got another OH, and an alacrity relic.

Me: https://gph.is/1pCgNWk

Whose &$#+@ idea was it to add RNG to a grind?! Ben Irving is laughing maniacally from a dark office somewhere in Austin.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

you are getting bolstered a lot, its in my opinion a waste of time

Yeah I haven't even bothered. By the time I casually reach 258 they will add a new tier or the next expansion making me doubly frustrated.

Pretty much this, Battlemaster, War Hero, Elite War Hero, Rakata etc etc all gleefully collected just to be rendered junk.

I stand behind you, OP! It's not just that the gear is extremely long and tedious, but also this whole system with the lootboxes is aggravating as well. It's not fun to open them. It's a chore. Occasionally I stack up on like 10-15 boxes in my inventory and it takes literally minutes to open them all. Whatever "kick" one might get from the randomness is long, long gone.

I miss the old WZ commendations and the vendors. It wasn't a perfect system but it was so much better.

So. Once upon a time. When this game launched they had a similar RnG system that was equally bad if not worse than this. The PvP community pretty much dwindled and a lot of my friends ended up leaving because of it. This was back in the day when PvP stats were a thing.

I agree RNG systems for gearing is terrible and I had hoped that Bioware had learned from their mistakes. It seems that they are still out of touch and think people enjoy lottery gearing.

Hopefully it doesn't take a dip in the population again for them to get it right and fix this.

Edited by Sirolos

So. Once upon a time. When this game launched they had a similar RnG system that was equally bad if not worse than this. The PvP community pretty much dwindled and a lot of my friends ended up leaving because of it. This was back in the day when PvP stats were a thing.

Yep, I started PvP'ing right at the tail end of that, and it sucked. And then bioware ended it and universe was right again. And then apparently they hired all new devs who didn't bother to even check what had gone before.

I agree RNG systems for gearing is terrible and I had hoped that Bioware had learned from their mistakes. It seems that they are still out of touch and think people enjoy lottery gearing.

Hopefully it doesn't take a dip in the population again for them to get it right and fix this.

Honestly, I think "too late". I'm pretty sure a large number of people left with the introduction of the "CXP" system, which is when the stupid "random is exciting!" crates came back. That gearing (compared to what PvP'rs were used to) was bad enough. This ossus stuff is even worse (imo).

Heh dont get the wrong impression guys. I play far less than before. I only logged in to do the necessary stuff. Yes it was a boring run of many Ossus weeklies every week, plus crystal missions and trading UCs. I like to make a plan and follow it, even if it means doing the ossus weekly 10 times after one another. I find fun in it too, try to beat my time etc. a full run could take as much as 10 min.

Sure its not for everyone, but its definitely possible.

All I’m aiming for is 252 or 258 main hand on my Alts because MH aren’t affected by Bolster. Everything else bolsters and those other few 252 pieces I’ve got give me less stats if I add them in with bolstered gear, so I don’t wear them in pvp.

Anyone who has been arguing in other threads about not wanting two sets of gear dont realise that they should be using 2 sets of gear already if they don’t have a full set of 252/258. They should have a full bolstered set for pvp and then whatever random 242/248/252/258 mix for everything else.

Mixing the 252/258 items with lower tiered gear will reduce the stats in pvp.

You can essentially wear 230-242 gear with 252/258 MH and be competitive in ranked.

I’m not even bothering to grind gear anymore. If and when I go to Ossus, it’s when my Alts are ready and it’s to do some story and have some fun. I don’t go there to grind gear and I refuse. Since I made that decision, I am less stressed about gearing and don’t hate Ossus like I did because I’m not there everyday on 10 Alts grinding out the same content.

Bioware need to bring back 2 dedicated sets of gear. One for pvpers and one for pve. The only people that benefit from one set are players like Mero who play every bit of pve/pvp content to grind the best gear the fastest. Even if that means playing 24/7 on 10 Alts.

Pvpers deserves their own gear. There is no reason not to have it again.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Heh dont get the wrong impression guys. I play far less than before. I only logged in to do the necessary stuff. Yes it was a boring run of many Ossus weeklies every week, plus crystal missions and trading UCs. I like to make a plan and follow it, even if it means doing the ossus weekly 10 times after one another. I find fun in it too, try to beat my time etc. a full run could take as much as 10 min.

Sure its not for everyone, but its definitely possible.

Reminds me of EQ2, when I did the faction quests I had to run 400-500 times. The worst was I had to zone 4 times each quest run. It was a serious grind but worth it because the faction armors were so unique and cool to wear... I had dark elf plate that was wearable on my casters that did the faction quests! It was awesome...

Anyway, that's the problem here. This Ossus grind doesn't really reward you with anything awesome, not at all. Hard to justify a simple one quest grind over and over and over again when you don't even get something worth the grind.

I will wait and see what they got after Ossus. If they make gearing easier for alts, easier for PVP, make it so I can log in and play any toons and not get punished, I will happily come back and play again.

If they stick to this recipe of game design they began shoveling down our throats for the past 2 years, I will never be able to come back.

Reminds me of EQ2, when I did the faction quests I had to run 400-500 times. The worst was I had to zone 4 times each quest run. It was a serious grind but worth it because the faction armors were so unique and cool to wear... I had dark elf plate that was wearable on my casters that did the faction quests! It was awesome...

Anyway, that's the problem here. This Ossus grind doesn't really reward you with anything awesome, not at all. Hard to justify a simple one quest grind over and over and over again when you don't even get something worth the grind.

I will wait and see what they got after Ossus. If they make gearing easier for alts, easier for PVP, make it so I can log in and play any toons and not get punished, I will happily come back and play again.

If they stick to this recipe of game design they began shoveling down our throats for the past 2 years, I will never be able to come back.

Just play like I do. Bolster, Bolster, bolster.

All you really need to do is get a 252 MH and that’s easy enough (atm) doing the 2 world bosses.

whats wrong with kiwi?

I don't know about him, but kiwi is the only fruit I got sick eating as a kid, and it took me 35 years to be able to eat it again. I still don't care much for it though and avoid it when at all possible. Maybe he has a similar kiwi story. :(

I like to make a plan and follow it, even if it means doing the ossus weekly 10 times after one another. I find fun in it too, try to beat my time etc. a full run could take as much as 10 min.

I was the first level 120 Elementor on the Glaphan server in Flyff. From level 75 to 105 I went full dex and would whack the monsters with my staff rather then using normal skills. It took forever. It was excruciating slow. It was brain dead boring.... and yet I would rather repeat that, than ever do a another Ossus run in this terrible, randomized sad excuse of a gearing system.

I am glad you find enjoyment in this, but unless 6.0 creates an effortless gear path for PvP I will finally, utterly be done.

I don't know about him, but kiwi is the only fruit I got sick eating as a kid, and it took me 35 years to be able to eat it again. I still don't care much for it though and avoid it when at all possible. Maybe he has a similar kiwi story. :(

I thought he meant Kiwi’s as in New Zealanders :p

(That’s what we call them in Australia)

It's why I quit the game for a bit. I intended to not come back until 6.0, but I got bored and decided that I would simply not care about gearing and stick with 248. I have zero 258 because I don't want to grind standings.

I was the first level 120 Elementor on the Glaphan server in Flyff. From level 75 to 105 I went full dex and would whack the monsters with my staff rather then using normal skills. It took forever. It was excruciating slow. It was brain dead boring.... and yet I would rather repeat that, than ever do a another Ossus run in this terrible, randomized sad excuse of a gearing system.

I am glad you find enjoyment in this, but unless 6.0 creates an effortless gear path for PvP I will finally, utterly be done.

You also have to consider it from the studios point of view. Every new expansion MUST be played by the players, so when they made Ossus they had to make sure people will spend a LOT of time there so they get positive statistitcs for management. A good way to ensure that was this gear grind, that made people spend the time there.

So in the end they can preseng the management with high numbers of players running around on Ossus. Its much better than other expansions, which were quickly forgotten, like Ziost, CZ198 etc. As for me I have all the achievements in the game and therefore nothing to go for right now (well maybe GotM NiM but thats a bit complicated atm :) ), so just logging in each week to grind dailies was fine for me. Lastly I got the gear just as the new ranked season launched! So the timing was great.

Edited by merovejec

Just play like I do. Bolster, Bolster, bolster.

All you really need to do is get a 252 MH and that’s easy enough (atm) doing the 2 world bosses.

A completely agree that in warzones and SR you are competitive in bolstered gear (without augments), you just have to do the experimantal gear swap to min-max stats. Apart from the significant main-hand boost, Bolster does not affect armor rating either. Wonder if that is a bug or working as intended, though devs kinda like to use the two phrases as synonims.