DPS records

mitchelloliver

• 4 months later...

To replay to this i would need to see your parser linked. also what are your methods?

the standard method is to use full buffs and stim, no adrenal and no inspiration or similar class buff. Then parse for 180 sec.

My Guardian can produce 1725 DPS using this method.

Wanted to see how I compared. I am a marauder on Krayiss Obelisk and Consistenly hit ~1650 dps per my parser. Is this average, or good (I know it's not bad).

Odyssius

Krayiss Obelisk

1650 is on the very low end of acceptable for a geared 50 mara

Most well equipped ones do at least 1800

talking operations dummy here

a low to medium geared merc for example will still get 1600 minimum DPS with basic rotation competence and they'll take a lot less damage in an op doing it. So, to justify the increased drag on the ops team from having to heal the melee DPS he needs to do more damage.

Edited by Hatstandard

To replay to this i would need to see your parser linked. also what are your methods?

the standard method is to use full buffs and stim, no adrenal and no inspiration or similar class buff. Then parse for 180 sec.

My Guardian can produce 1725 DPS using this method.

180 seconds is too short. That's barely the duration of a HM Flashpoint boss. Most operations fights are on the order of 360 seconds. The reason this is significant is it smooths the statistical noise from cooldowns, energy management, and so on. (for example, a sage can put up INSANE numbers by going all-out nuclear for 3 minutes in a rotation that will have them out of mana just after that period).

180 seconds is too short. That's barely the duration of a HM Flashpoint boss. Most operations fights are on the order of 360 seconds. The reason this is significant is it smooths the statistical noise from cooldowns, energy management, and so on. (for example, a sage can put up INSANE numbers by going all-out nuclear for 3 minutes in a rotation that will have them out of mana just after that period).

read the thread compairing DPS - this is the method described there. if you can sustain it for 180 you can sustain it for 360. Well i can

read the thread compairing DPS - this is the method described there. if you can sustain it for 180 you can sustain it for 360. Well i can

It's still a bad test. Whether or not you can sustain 180 seconds worth of DPS for 360 is very dependent on class and the tools you have available to you. A properly exploited TK/Lightning Sage/Sorc will top this test every single time. Mercenaries will also do well, but not as well as they would if it were a 90-120 second test.

Here's a quick example… Even with an ideal mana-preserving rotation, a balance sage (madness sorc) will run out of mana and be forced into Nobel Sacrifice just after the 5 minute mark (about 315), in fact. This is a significant concern for real boss fights, but it's never seen in a 180 second test. Thus, your assertion of sustainability is incorrect on its face.

If you want to standardize on 180 seconds, that's fine, just be aware that it will bias the results toward a) classes with deep energy pools (sage/sorc), and b) classes with damage-enhancing cooldowns (e.g. sentinels/mauraders and, to a lesser extent, shadows/assassins). Burst classes will also out-perform pressure classes. All in all, it's just not enough time to get a statistically smooth result.

It's still a bad test. Whether or not you can sustain 180 seconds worth of DPS for 360 is very dependent on class and the tools you have available to you. A properly exploited TK/Lightning Sage/Sorc will top this test every single time. Mercenaries will also do well, but not as well as they would if it were a 90-120 second test.

Here's a quick example… Even with an ideal mana-preserving rotation, a balance sage (madness sorc) will run out of mana and be forced into Nobel Sacrifice just after the 5 minute mark (about 315), in fact. This is a significant concern for real boss fights, but it's never seen in a 180 second test. Thus, your assertion of sustainability is incorrect on its face.

If you want to standardize on 180 seconds, that's fine, just be aware that it will bias the results toward a) classes with deep energy pools (sage/sorc), and b) classes with damage-enhancing cooldowns (e.g. sentinels/mauraders and, to a lesser extent, shadows/assassins). Burst classes will also out-perform pressure classes. All in all, it's just not enough time to get a statistically smooth result.

well the sorcs dont seem to do that well - go look at the thread

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, the length of the test needs only be long enough that it syncs up offensive CD use. For most classes I would put this at 3 minutes. This allows 2 relic but only 1 adrenal activation. For Sentinels I would use 5 minutes as this allows 1 Inspiration, 3 relic and 2 adrenal uses. 6 minutes and 30 minutes respectively would give a much clearer indication and reduce statistical noise induced by relics, adrenals and inspiration but is in-feasibly long. Multiple parses are also required to reduce RNG induced noise and human error.

It is also worth noting that Balance/Balance Hybrid Sages (and Sorcs) are the only class that can sustain a resource negative rotation for that period of time. I struggled to get my TK Sage below about 90% Force and all other classes will bottom out their resources long before then if they aren't running a resource neutral rotation. Alternatively, any Sage/Sorc that tries to pass off a parse on a Force negative rotation is at fault, not the duration of the parse.

I also disagree that 3 minutes would favour "burst" classes over "pressure" classes. I think after about 60 seconds your results would start to move from "burst" to "sustained".

Ultimately (IMO), the best way to parse DPS is under full raid conditions. A lot of "lets measure DPS" threads say that you must be the only one hitting the dummy, no adrenals, no relics, full raid buffs. This gives an unfair weighting to Guardian, Commando and 'Slinger DPS who have armour reducing skills that benefit the entire raid. In no raid situation would these armour reductions be denied to a specific DPS (int/ele aside) so it seems unreasonable to deny them to Sentinels/VGs/Shadows during parses. Similarly, it artificially inflates (or deflates) the difference between classes with and classes without armour debuffs.

• 3 months later...
180 seconds is too short. That's barely the duration of a HM Flashpoint boss. Most operations fights are on the order of 360 seconds. .

You can't compare dps on a dummy to an Ops boss at all.

Reason being is that you're almost never just sitting there in one spot maximizing dps,you're running around avoiding stuff, getting adds..etc...

All the dummy should be used for is a frame of reference, especially since you can't use some abilities like Saber Throw.

There are 3 minute referense dps numbers as well as 6 minute reference numbers.

Raid Boss numbers will almost never be as high.

You can't compare dps on a dummy to an Ops boss at all.

Reason being is that you're almost never just sitting there in one spot maximizing dps,you're running around avoiding stuff, getting adds..etc...

All the dummy should be used for is a frame of reference, especially since you can't use some abilities like Saber Throw.

There are 3 minute referense dps numbers as well as 6 minute reference numbers.

Raid Boss numbers will almost never be as high.

This.

People put way too much attention to combat parses and it's really funny how they go ******* crazy when they find out someone "cheated". I mean, come on; beating on a defenceless target dummy versus a boss fight that requires you to properly position yourself, do damage, kite and work with seven other people. Seriously?