Dear TaitWatson: The Companion Romance System NEEDS to be fixed.

Swedguy

No. They have, like everything else that is broken in the game, a responsibility to the players to fix it.

Yes, because, AS I SAID, the design is defective. But Tait said that the thing we see, bogus as it is (and most of us agree that it is, even some of the people who played it correctly), is what they meant us to see. That decision was wrong-headed (and lots of other, far more negative, descriptions that I shall censor for the moment), of that there is no doubt, but the *implementation* of that thing is not buggy. The design, however, is very, very, wrong.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of one possible option for those of us that chose the wrong option because it was not clear or did not get the flirt option at all:

During the trooper story there is a side mission to visit an NPC that he/she has already worked with earlier in the story. There is a flirt option, depending on your gender. This mission is completely optional - you can abandon it if you don't want to do it.

In my opinion, something like the above mission could be added. If you were not able to romance one of the KoTFE companions for whatever reason, you can get your second chance. Obviously the real problem needs to be addressed, be it a bug or just broken.

See, I've suggested that this be a possibility elsewhere. And it would actually make some logical sense. I know this is a game, but it's not like real life has a specific point where you can fully express your feelings for someone and if you miss it one day you don't get a chance to do it the day after or ever again (unless that person, I dunno, suddenly dies or is abducted by aliens or the world ends or whatever). Hell, even being able to just walk up to Lana (or Theron or Koth) in the Alliance HQ and start a conversation that gives you a second chance to bring up the topic would be just fine.

See, I've suggested that this be a possibility elsewhere. And it would actually make some logical sense. I know this is a game, but it's not like real life has a specific point where you can fully express your feelings for someone and if you miss it one day you don't get a chance to do it the day after or ever again (unless that person, I dunno, suddenly dies or is abducted by aliens or the world ends or whatever). Hell, even being able to just walk up to Lana (or Theron or Koth) in the Alliance HQ and start a conversation that gives you a second chance to bring up the topic would be just fine.

That could work, with a quest triangle for the one(s) you can do this with. (My Smuggler didn't finish SoR, and flirted only Lana, and didn't get to choose who to see when flirting in the cantina scene --> directly to Lana.)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

We have seen quite a few reports about the Romance system being broken, and I wanted to clarify a few things. A number of the issues being reported are not, in fact, bugged.

The big one is Iresso. While Iresso is not alone in not acknowledging your romance, he has become the name surrounding the whole situation. In this case, there is a bug – the romance variables for some of the pre-KOTFE companions are being improperly assessed, leading to the appearance that they aren’t romanced even if they are. This fix is scheduled for 4.1 but is not finalized yet. What should have occurred is that when you completed Chapter I of Fallen Empire, you would receive a mail from your romance. We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues. It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

As for Courting gifts, we are aware that they are only able to be consumed by Nico Okarr. At first we thought he was just greedy, but we found out it’s because of the change from Affection to Influence, and the Courting Gifts not making the appropriate swap. This is also scheduled for Game Update 4.1.

Best,

Tait

Yes, I am seeing this on my second 65, which was a lvl 60 boost. I flirted only with Lana and I hit ch. 9 after 4.1a hit. Now stuck on the cantina cut scene. Instead of getting the option to [Flirt] I need to speak with one of you, I get no option and she just says the dialog and I'm presented with the 3 options of Koth, Lana, and Theran. Choosing Lana I do not get the option to lock in romance or any flirts for that matter.. I'm also sitting at rank 14 influence with Lana and still no go.

I did this on my first 65 no problem (which was also a lvl 60 boost), but that was before 4.1 patch dropped. I really do think this is broken. BW needs to step up and figure it out.

Hey everyone,

As for Courting gifts, we are aware that they are only able to be consumed by Nico Okarr. At first we thought he was just greedy, but we found out it’s because of the change from Affection to Influence, and the Courting Gifts not making the appropriate swap. This is also scheduled for Game Update 4.1.

Best,

Tait

Dear Tait:

It's 4.1 and courting gifts are still bugged. If not during 4.1, what is the ETA for it to be fixed?

Dear Tait:

It's 4.1 and courting gifts are still bugged. If not during 4.1, what is the ETA for it to be fixed?

This. Why is so much in this game still broken after weeks, months, years? This is by far the most bugs I've seen consistently stay in place in any MMO ever.

Yes, I am seeing this on my second 65, which was a lvl 60 boost. I flirted only with Lana and I hit ch. 9 after 4.1a hit. Now stuck on the cantina cut scene. Instead of getting the option to [Flirt] I need to speak with one of you, I get no option and she just says the dialog and I'm presented with the 3 options of Koth, Lana, and Theran. Choosing Lana I do not get the option to lock in romance or any flirts for that matter.. I'm also sitting at rank 14 influence with Lana and still no go.

I did this on my first 65 no problem (which was also a lvl 60 boost), but that was before 4.1 patch dropped. I really do think this is broken. BW needs to step up and figure it out.

This is happening to me too, no flirt option in the cantina. Before 4.1, on a male agent, I had both options, I'd flirted with Lana throughout, and successfully ended up with a romance. He didn't tell Lana about Valkorion in his head. He didn't save the reactor and used Valkorion's power twice, if I remember correctly, at the ship and fighting Arkann the first time.

My male Jedi Knight took every flirt option from SoR onwards and told Lana about Valkorion, he saved the reactor, and didn't use Valkorion's power at all. Then when I got to the cantina, no flirt option. So maybe it was the decisions that affected things.

But I can assert that there is a bug, or something that was changed in 4.1, because I was part way through with my Knight and this happened.

Before 4.1:

At the start of Chapter VIII, you're talking to Lana and you get interrupted by a holocall from Heskal who summons you to meet him. Lana tells you to be careful (paraphrasing), to which there's a flirt option response "I've got you to rescue me, what more do I need?" She says "I'm serious, if anything happened to you ...", so you tell her she'd better kiss you now, just to be sure; she says you're insufferable, but kisses you anyway.

Then she says you have one hour and she'll tear the sanctuary apart with her bare hands if she needs to, you walk away, meet T7 and head off to meet Heskal. At that point, just after I met T7, something happened in RL so I ESCed out, and didn't get a chance to come back for a couple of days.

After 4.1:

I logged in my Knight to carry on, but of course when you ESC that restarts the chapter from the beginning, so I had to replay the whole conversation. Again I took the flirt option but this time, Lana ignored it, no kiss, she went straight to the one hour and I'll tear the sanctuary apart line.

Like a fool, I was mildly disappointed but just thought they'd changed it and carried on. But she didn't come to the rescue when I was fighting Arkann again, I got Koth instead. And then in the cantina, no flirt option :(

System's got more bugs than a bait store. <=== Line from a Disney film(1), but it seems appropriate here.

(1) Kudos to anyone who can identify it.

<snip>

And here I was going to take one of my agents through finally because Kaliyo coming back seemed like a good time to do it.

Guess I'll put that on hold now if my Theron romance is going to bug out. You only have about 2 lines of conversation with him anyway, but seems to me the whole thing is likely to be fubar :(

And here I was going to take one of my agents through finally because Kaliyo coming back seemed like a good time to do it.

Guess I'll put that on hold now if my Theron romance is going to bug out. You only have about 2 lines of conversation with him anyway, but seems to me the whole thing is likely to be fubar :(

You can always just restart the chapter if you are in chapter 9 that should work if it bugs.

This. Why is so much in this game still broken after weeks, months, years? This is by far the most bugs I've seen consistently stay in place in any MMO ever.

Especially for something that in theory is one of Bioware's defining attributes.

But I can assert that there is a bug, or something that was changed in 4.1, because I was part way through with my Knight and this happened.

Before 4.1:

At the start of Chapter VIII, you're talking to Lana and you get interrupted by a holocall from Heskal who summons you to meet him. Lana tells you to be careful (paraphrasing), to which there's a flirt option response "I've got you to rescue me, what more do I need?" She says "I'm serious, if anything happened to you ...", so you tell her she'd better kiss you now, just to be sure; she says you're insufferable, but kisses you anyway.

Then she says you have one hour and she'll tear the sanctuary apart with her bare hands if she needs to, you walk away, meet T7 and head off to meet Heskal. At that point, just after I met T7, something happened in RL so I ESCed out, and didn't get a chance to come back for a couple of days.

After 4.1:

I logged in my Knight to carry on, but of course when you ESC that restarts the chapter from the beginning, so I had to replay the whole conversation. Again I took the flirt option but this time, Lana ignored it, no kiss, she went straight to the one hour and I'll tear the sanctuary apart line.

Like a fool, I was mildly disappointed but just thought they'd changed it and carried on. But she didn't come to the rescue when I was fighting Arkann again, I got Koth instead. And then in the cantina, no flirt option :(

I had the same happen to me today (I was on a Sith Inquisitor). I never had issues before the last patch.

Saw the same issue through chapter 8 as well, thought I misremembered, got to the cantina, and no flirt option. Could recreate the character as a level 60 and play back through, but really no point if it's just bugged. Not worth the frustration, and definitely not going to start any more characters into KotFE.

Double this. Players on the forums are polite and very patient. How about bug fixes instead of new chapters for a month or three? New KotFE chapters won't keep me subbed, but bug fixes will.

Before 4.1:

After 4.1:

I didn't pay attention when I was playing the story with my Sith Sorceress but after reading this I realized that the exactly same thing happened for me back then! Geez, then this is way more messed up than I thought.

Edited by Haunted

I come back and check this thread repeatedly since these bugs drove me off the game and back to EQ2 for the time being.

I'd really love to come back and play, but I am not going to spend time, money, and effort on a character who ends up bugged. I've already been through twice with the same character and was bugged both times.

Anyway, as I said, I check this thread to see if things are really being fixed because I'm staying away until they are. Unfortunately it looks like 4.1 did not bring the fixes it was supposed to, and broke other things instead.

Hey everyone,

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

Tait

Okay, at this point I can't even remember if I got the actual flirt option for Lana on chapter IX even though I flirted with her to almost obnoxious levels (meaning flirting at inappropriate times). I want all that work recognized. I want it fixed. A questionable scene that was so vague that I'm not even sure how it was supposed to work or even if I got the right options should not squelch an entire important plotline that I paid careful attention to from the moment Lana was introduced alongside Lord Red Squiggly Face betrayer. I want that romance acknowledged. Please fix this. Don't care how you manage it, just please bloody do it. Thanks.

The romance system is pretty much bugged everywhere right now (4.1b). Main beef is Ashara's bugged end of romance so that if I want to complete it (I do), I can't take my character into kotfe. Also, for clarity, it would be nice if it didn't look like you're talking to Theron (chap IX cantina) when it gives you a flirt option. I missed the Lana romance on several characters before figuring out that the flirt option there was generic and subsequently allowed you to choose who.

I wish there was a way to be sure to examine previously made choices in the game. Like a functional journal. But I know for a fact that I always flirted and used Valk's power only once (when he first offered it) and refused elsewhere AND told Lana the truth. So. I want my romance. I am not starting a new character over. And the blaise way in which ALL the romance system problems have been written off is pretty insulting.

edit: I'm going to keep kicking this dead horse until my foot gets stuck two feet into the decaying carcass.

Edited by RDSmokey

• 3 weeks later...

One more for the "Lana romance broken" bandwagon. The very fact that it is such a bandwagon is... disturbing. All flirts, no kiss/lock option, Koth at the boss fight, the usual. And while keeping the affected character in Chapter IX is possible (and I've already reset to the start), I've already finished Chapter VIII. Does that mean it would stay broken even if (not even daring to say "when") they fix it? Seriously, the points of no return are quite annoying enough even when you don't unknowingly pass them due to frakking bugs in a game that has no saves.

Also, resetting doesn't remove the Theron romance option if you flirt with him, despite all the interactions being confined to the single chapter that you're resetting.

Seriously, you know what would help tons? A way to reset further back than start-of-chapter. And if that's impossible to implement with the existing code, then just slow down. I don't want monthly chapters that break my characters in a "story-driven" game.

It's the same issue as in this thread.

Just checked the dates of my screenshots - everything was fine for me until 4.2.

I played Chapter 1-8 from 02/28 - 03/03, during 4.1. Class was Jedi Consular (female). Even the Iresso romance was acknowledged. I picked all the [Flirt] options with Lana (had the romance going since SoR), got the kiss in Chapter 8, Lana to the rescue at the end.

My "mistake" was not immediately going to the cantina scene in Chapter 9 after arriving at Odessen, but delaying it until after 4.2 hit.

And now I don't get any [Flirt] option in the cantina. Or, after resetting the chapter and picking one [Flirt] option with Theron, him as the only option.

So now I have reset Chapter 9 again, and hope for a fix.

I can't for the life of me find information on this. It isn't about Lana or the other two new ones.

I'm wondering if the VANILLA romances were fixed for SoR and the new one? I'm just terrified of having this bug cause I want my Jorgan romance acknowledged >-< I've finished Rise of the Hutt Cartel and am on part 3 of Forged Alliances.