Sniper/GS improvements to consider

Tomokaze

To our Sniper/Gunslinger representative at Bioware please consider the following improvements to sniper/GS gameplay (apologies if these are all old ideas):

1) If out-of-combat and entering cover, give us stealth (which breaks upon entering combat or leaving cover)

Real-world snipers are virtually undetectable when in position, and advanced snipers of the future shouldn't be different. Being able to get into position and wait for your target, actually playing like a sniper, would be a lot of fun. I may be blinded by my sniper goggles, but I don't see how this addition would be game-breaking either, since we could not move and maintain stealth, and it would go away upon entering combat (first shot fired or getting hit by AoE most likely).

*** OR ***

If PvP flag = true:

1) Disable brightly colored coverscreen with the 'I'm over here!" flashing lights. Would favor a transparent screen or none at all.

2) Disable the giant Ambush graphic that alerts your target its time to LOS you. (I know this one has been mentioned before, but it is a great idea.)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Tomokaze

If PvP flag = true:

1) Disable brightly colored coverscreen with the 'I'm over here!" flashing lights. Would favor a transparent screen or none at all.

It's not the "flashing lights" that grab our attention. It's the big red name above your head while you're shooting.

My main is a SS Slinger and while the change you proposed would be awesome it will also makes us OP over the charts. If you played for a while you'd know that our Nemesis are the stealth classes (sin or operative) and the change u suggest will deny them their most powerfull tool ability to close the gap w/o us shooting at them..

Bottom line , nice change but game breaking!

While the stealth thing would be cool, it would make us waay to, um, invincible. XD I do really like the idea though. It got me thinking...

Ever seen NPC mobs that lay around in prone position? I think it would be really cool if we could somehow get the option to use that position for our cover animation. Maybe make it like a legacy social perk or something. Think like the Chiss social rest ability, only a Sniper social Take Cover ability! Obviously still keeping the standard cover position available, too.

I also really like the idea of color-customizable cover screens! Although I'm not too sure about tying it to the mainhand color crystal, but I can't really think of any other ways to do it. Makes me wonder what a black-core cover screen would look like :p

...and advanced snipers of the future shouldn't be different.

Didn't you get the memo? This isn't in the future. It was "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." :rak_03:

This is a broken, dumb idea. If you want "realism," you shouldn't be playing MMOs.

I just want to hear the voice commentator from Team Fortress Classic do the same killing streak and survivability announcements in SWTOR Warzones; "GODLIKE", "KILLING SPREE", "INDESTRUCTIBLE", "BEAST-MODE". Maybe even throw in a Mortal Kombat commentator when the person is stunned at less than 20% hp: "FINISH HIM". Edited by DimeStax

Lol are you suggesting we should get a stealth ability similar to the ones sentinels and marauders have? I really hate that little trick they pull when you are in a one on one with them and you are about to kill them, but then they pop their disappear button and then their teammates notice me and start beating up on me. Then guess what the sent or mara does as he's coming out of stealth? He sees his buddies are now giving me hell so he's the one that finishes me off. Cute, since I know he would have been toast had he not pulled his little Houdini trick, and he knows it too.

But that said, we don't need stealth as snipers, a lot of the times if you pick the right spot, they won't notice you. When they do notice you, then you will definitely die at the hands of three melee or vanguards, but when you respawn you just pick a new spot and hope they don't notice you again.

Also would like the knockback to root them for 10 seconds and them to stay rooted even after they take damage. That way I can finish them off in three shots. And dodge should make me immune to everything for 10 seconds. Oh and I should be able to disappear if someone forces me out of cover, and then reappear again at a different spot in cover. Joking, joking. :D

Looks like this thread is about being rediculous so...

I think that if a Gunslinger uses 'Vital Shot' on a Boutny Hunter, he targets a vital spot on the armor and the next time the Bounty Hunter uses an ability that produces Heat; the BH explodes (instant death) doing AoE damage and a 12 second DoT to all allies nearby.

I was just thinking the other day on my sniper; it would be nice if I could just press the button for snipe, follow through, explosive probe, ambush, another follow through and series of shots at the same time (twice for follow through) and just have it queued, but all of them actually fire and hit the target all at the same time.

Would make me feel very sniper-ish going for that big shot, but not be gamebreaking or over powered IMO. :rak_03:

Looks like this thread is about being rediculous so...

I think that if a Gunslinger uses 'Vital Shot' on a Boutny Hunter, he targets a vital spot on the armor and the next time the Bounty Hunter uses an ability that produces Heat; the BH explodes (instant death) doing AoE damage and a 12 second DoT to all allies nearby.

And there must be a slider in graphics for gib quantity! lol :p

My main is a SS Slinger and while the change you proposed would be awesome it will also makes us OP over the charts. If you played for a while you'd know that our Nemesis are the stealth classes (sin or operative) and the change u suggest will deny them their most powerfull tool ability to close the gap w/o us shooting at them..

Bottom line , nice change but game breaking!

True enough. I tear up snipers when I am on my Shadow, and still don't think they would pose much challenge if they got the first shot on node defense (since that is about the only time I can think of that a sniper could maintain the out-of-combat stealth cover and still be useful to their team). If there were two snipers sitting there however... ouchies.

Just make tech abilities talentable to 35 meters ;)

Yes!

I think it would be really cool if we could somehow get the option to use that position for our cover animation. Maybe make it like a legacy social perk or something. Think like the Chiss social rest ability, only a Sniper social Take Cover ability! Obviously still keeping the standard cover position available, too.

I also really like the idea of color-customizable cover screens! Although I'm not too sure about tying it to the mainhand color crystal, but I can't really think of any other ways to do it. Makes me wonder what a black-core cover screen would look like :p

Nice ideas! And I would still vote to lose the Ambush graphic that displays on our target.