New Miraluka mask options

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. I have an Inquisitor Miraluka and I couldn't seem to find a mask that I liked so I went with the very first choice. Although there are a few that is just bandanas coving the eyes Id like one that looks a little more like Rahm Kota has after he loses his sight to Starkiller.

Agreed! I love my Miraluka Juggernaut, and I like his mask in and of itself, but the gold/bronze color of it doesn't really match well with.. pretty much any Imperial armor. ;) I didn't find any of the other currently available masks at all appealing when I made the character. New options would be awesome.

Agreed, I'd love to see more Miraluka masks. I love the half-veil styles, but I wish they came in more neutral colors like simple black and white. There are so few styles that I honestly wonder who thought it was a good idea to include bright purple and a hard-to-match red/greenish-silverish-tan, but not include plain white and black. :confused:

Due to the very limited choices of color for armor styles that I like, my Miraluka's beautiful violet mask hasn't been much of a hinderance. But now that a dye system is coming, it will likely limit my use of the dye system simply because I can't stand clashing colors. And though Miraluka masks aren't technically "gear", they certainly have as much visual impact as any headpiece in the game does.

I was thinking it might be nice to see a blue mask for the Miraluka. Maybe also a mask in green (if some players might like that).

Maybe even the ability to choose what colors a mask style is in - if a player likes a certain style of mask, but they'd like it in a different color or color combination?

Yes!! I would love new mask options! I'd especially like some more small masks. So many of them cover not just the eyes, but the eyebrows, forehead, and even at times the entire top of the head! I would LOVE some more small mask options. And with the appearance customization kiosk coming, it seems like the perfect time to start adding some in! :) Edited by sonyajeb

Do we actually know what, in "lore", an unveiled Miraluka is supposed to look like? I know SWTOR gives them those curious little metal 'clip on eyeshades' which appear to be *bolted* to the edge of the eyesocket, in order to avoid unwanted gore when a helmet removes the veil...

I'm curious as to whether it's ever been stated whether their unveiled appearance is a) vestigial, shrunken, milky-blind or otherwise unsightly malformed eyes, b) fully formed empty sockets [which wouldn't make sense if they evolved away from having eyes in the first place, the sockets would have shrunk too], c) small, shallow vestigial sockets, like a depression in the skin of the face, or d) no real eyes or traces of eyes at all, just a smooth concave curve between brow-ridge and cheek.

d) would make sense if they were completely and uniformly eyeless and had never, as a species, had eyes in the past- although it would make eyebrows a bit odd, given what eyebrows evolved *for*. d) also, wouldn't really *be* that unsightly, making all the veil thing a bit pointless.

Curious- I'd definitely like some better veils for them- and to be able to *change* veils easily will be nice. Ideally, it'd be nicer still if they were equippable armour, and you could choose *not* to- maybe your Miraluka, not having the *concept* of "sight", just plain doesn't *care* that some people find his or her eyeless face a bit squick-inducing.

It's always struck me as a bit bizarre that a race without sight *would* so uniformly conform to a custom to avoid offending a sensibility which is by definition meaningless to them, I guess, hence my wondering whether their 'natural' appearance actually *is* so bad that the veils are obliged-by-protection of Teen rating.

More Miraluka "masks" would be great... however, I would prefer additional options not being plastered into the CM.

Sure, I'd love them to be something you get in-game rather than on the CM, too. However, since the appearance customization kiosk is going to use CCs, I don't think there's a way around that. Any appearance changes beyond just what your armor looks like will cost CCs. And sadly, the Miraluka masks are considered part of your character's base appearance rather than armor. But as long as the prices are reasonable, I will pay CCs if there are new masks that I like. :)

Edited by sonyajeb

Exactly how you expect/are afraid they look like without the mask :p

From KOTOR Campaign Guide: Visas without the mask

That kind of looks pretty much like a c) or d) on my list of options above.

Really, not gory or gross at all, so I can't entirely see the need for the railroaded 'silly metal clips' under the mask.

Certainly, have them as one of the veil *options*, but it'd be kind of nice if there was also an 'unmasked' look available, since I can't see how that appearance would violate the PG rating.

In the icon for Miraluka, the mask is a bandage wrapped around the face a bunch of times. That is the mask I want! Seriously though, it just would be the coolest option.

Also: Yes, more "small" masks. And figure a way for headbands to stop removing the small ones. I have the eyeglass metal one, and any headband (even ones that just wouldn't clip with em) cuts them out. It kind of sucks. I really don't like the first mask option, so getting stuck with it at all times is really annoying.

As for miraluka without masks, it's a social thing that has become entirely part of their culture. It's not only to prevent squeamishness in other species, but it's part of Miraluka social culture itself. Think Quarians and their suits at the end of ME3. If you saved them (and possibly the Geth), they will soon not need them, but they'll wear them anyway because it's part of who they are.

At least I am pretty sure that's the sort of thinking with Miraluka and masks, but of course could be wrong.

Good point on the masks as a cultural norm... hm... so, in fact, we'd be assuming that, by having *been* hidden by Miraluka for so much of their lives, the ocular region of the head's in fact become a taboo area that must be kept covered in public, making those 'eyeshades under the masks' actually less in the nature of a 'random bit of gore censor applied to something that's not actually gory', and more the same as the sports bra and shorts mandatory underwear.

That would make a kind of internal logic- though, really, since it's not taboo to *us*, it still seems odd that there's no 'unmasked' option.

Would have been, in my view, an awful lot better if those masks and veils had been adaptive headgear, only equippable by Miraluka- and available at level 1 just with 0 stats.

Have miraluka masks unify to chest maybe? Uhmm, wait, how would a miraluka know what color his/her chestpiece is in the first place, and how would a miraluka know his/her blindfold doesn't match?

Just kidding, ofcourse, but I'm serious about the unify to chest thingy!

The Miraluka are my playable race of choice and i would love to see more mask options! Here is basically a photo dump of Miraluka masks that might make nice additions to the Customization Kiosk:

Simple black mask for sith and dark jedi players.

Plated visor.

Simple black wrap with jewel embellishment.

Mask + Long hair options.

Maskless Miraluka

Classic white bandages.

Hm... you know, not to be beating the same sub-topic to death, but, interesting... reading about Visas Marr, and the accompanying art, it looks almost as if the 'always covered sockets' is a bit of memetic mutation, which might explain the oddity of it.

Excuse my lore-ignorance, but, from what I've read, it looks almost as if Marr was veiled not because she was an eyeless miraluka, whose sockets were normally just shallow depressions of flesh- as seen in that 'unmasked' illustration referenced a couple of times in this thread- but because Darth Nihilus had kindly scraped *out* that flesh, leaving her with scarred and hollow sockets, which would sort of explain her being veiled.

Were there many canon Miraluka before her? I'm wondering if- well, the 'veiled because no eyes thing' then got retroactively applied to the whole race, ignoring the specific circumstances and scarring she had which caused it.

Hm... you know, not to be beating the same sub-topic to death, but, interesting... reading about Visas Marr, and the accompanying art, it looks almost as if the 'always covered sockets' is a bit of memetic mutation, which might explain the oddity of it.

Excuse my lore-ignorance, but, from what I've read, it looks almost as if Marr was veiled not because she was an eyeless miraluka, whose sockets were normally just shallow depressions of flesh- as seen in that 'unmasked' illustration referenced a couple of times in this thread- but because Darth Nihilus had kindly scraped *out* that flesh, leaving her with scarred and hollow sockets, which would sort of explain her being veiled.

Were there many canon Miraluka before her? I'm wondering if- well, the 'veiled because no eyes thing' then got retroactively applied to the whole race, ignoring the specific circumstances and scarring she had which caused it.

Huh, very interesting. I honestly don't remember any before her, but then again, I am hardly a lore expert. If there's somebody who's more up on their Miraluka lore, I'd love to know the answer to this!

• 2 weeks later...
Have miraluka masks unify to chest maybe? Uhmm, wait, how would a miraluka know what color his/her chestpiece is in the first place, and how would a miraluka know his/her blindfold doesn't match?

Just kidding, ofcourse, but I'm serious about the unify to chest thingy!

That would be very cool, but I doubt it's all that feasible, since the masks are not treated as part of your armor, but instead are part of your character's base look. Making a match to chest for masks would probably be along the same lines as a match to chest for eye color or hair color.