Is there a way to get rid of a companion?

QueenSinaria

So, I've been playing for a few weeks now and there are some companions that I simply do not want. I don't want them on my ship, I don't want them on missions with me, I want them gone. Is there a way to do that?

Like in other Bioware games I could ask them to leave, or refuse them when they join. But I don't see any option for that here.

Can I maybe get them to disapprove enough that they choose to leave like in Dragon age?

There's no way to get rid of them until you reach the KOTFE expansion.

At this point you'll temporally lose all your companions except CM companions (like Treek & HK-51) and "event" companions (like Master Ranos & Darth Hexid)

During this, you'll have the option to refuse/kill certain companions.

Unfortunately there is no way to "get rid of them".

Perhaps someday we will be able to select which members are on your ship / bridge or perhaps assign them to a lesser important part of the ship or maybe specific "quarters" (??). IMO that might be a good compromise.

I believe it was possible to get rid of companions in beta, but apparently this created issues when players found themselves without an available healer. Since all companions cover all roles now, it's far less of an issue, but dropping certain companions would mess up your story (certain events require certain companions).

Once you get to the 'eternal' expansions, you'll have the ability to skip, reject or kill many of your companions. I believe the exceptions are:

• Lana - I hope you like her, because she's always going to be there for you.
  • T7 - I don't think you can get rid of him, although he isn't happy if you ally with the empire.
  • Gault
  • Vette / Torian - you have to keep one of them.
  • Yuun - I don't remember if recruiting him is optional.
  • Temple - i don't think you can skip/reject/kill her
  • Elara Dorne - not certain if you can reject/kill her.
  • Lord Scourge and Kira are key characters in the current plotline: No idea if you will be able to get rid of them when this plotline resolves.

I think every other companion can either be skipped, rejected, or outright killed (except Tanno Vik, who does not return as a companion).

Edited by Ominovin

So, I've been playing for a few weeks now and there are some companions that I simply do not want. I don't want them on my ship, I don't want them on missions with me, I want them gone. Is there a way to do that?

Like in other Bioware games I could ask them to leave, or refuse them when they join. But I don't see any option for that here.

Can I maybe get them to disapprove enough that they choose to leave like in Dragon age?

If only! I would have loved that for all smuggler companions during the class story. As others have said, when you get to the KotFE storyline (major spoilers you have been warned):

All your class companions are removed from the story at the start of KotFE. Some return as you play through the initial chapters as main characters and some return later via alliance alerts after chapter 9 is complete. If you don't want certain companions back you can ignore their alert if you want but it will annoyingly flash at you in the menu bar. Some, IF you choose the correct responses, will allow you the option to kill them off and some can be exiled (one new one from the class story). There is also the option to refuse some access to your alliance).

Class Companions - killable:

Empire:

Inquisitor - Xalek

Warrior - Malavai Quinn, Broonmark, Vette (you have to choose to rescue either her or Torian, whoever you left dies)

Agent - Kaliyo Djannis, Scorpio

Bounty Hunter - Torian Cadera, Skadge

Republic

Knight - Fideltin Rusk,

Consular -

Trooper - Aric Jorgan, Tanno Vik,

Kotfe/KotET/Traitor (all companions that are forced on you) - killable

Koth

Senya

Arcann - kill rather than save

Z0-0M

Theron Shan - leave to die

Companions you can refuse to take back - some are open to all player characters:

Inquisitor only - Ashara Zavros

All - Dr Lokin

All - Guss Tuno

All - Koth can choose exile if you don't kill him

All - Kaliyo can be exiled if you don't kill her

All - Aric Jorgan can be exiled if you don't kill him

There may be others but this is done from memory having completed every class story, expansion and alliance alert so apologies if I missed anyone.

I believe it was possible to get rid of companions in beta, but apparently this created issues when players found themselves without an available healer. Since all companions cover all roles now, it's far less of an issue, but dropping certain companions would mess up your story (certain events require certain companions).

Once you get to the 'eternal' expansions, you'll have the ability to skip, reject or kill many of your companions. I believe the exceptions are:

• Lana - I hope you like her, because she's always going to be there for you.
  • T7 - I don't think you can get rid of him, although he isn't happy if you ally with the empire.
  • Gault
  • Vette / Torian - you have to keep one of them.
  • Yuun - I don't remember if recruiting him is optional.
  • Temple - i don't think you can skip/reject/kill her
  • Elara Dorne - not certain if you can reject/kill her.
  • Lord Scourge and Kira are key characters in the current plotline: No idea if you will be able to get rid of them when this plotline resolves.

I think every other companion can either be skipped, rejected, or outright killed (except Tanno Vik, who does not return as a companion).

Yuun is optional. But he is the first one you can recruit and i think he is necessary to unlock the other alliance alert optional ones.

Yuun is optional. But he is the first one you can recruit and i think he is necessary to unlock the other alliance alert optional ones.

Unfortunately he's not really optional; you have to complete his alert (given via Dr Oggurobb) to unlock the companion alerts you actually want, unless they changed that requirement recently.