Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

NathanielStarr

At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?

At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?

If BW can pull out a system for matching WZs and make that work i think the reputation will swing and the game will get more players. If not, then the few PvP F2P'ers that will join will probably check up what fraction is dominating each servers PvP and just join that side. Hopefully that will even out the situation with more newbies on the dominating fraction and letting the other side catch up.

The hard part for the new guys will be to find out what fraction is dominating the lvl50 bracket since BW is deleting quite alot of threads containing information about fractions that PUGstomping each server.

Honestly I don't really care about this so-called "reputation" of terrible PvP. I'm having fun doing it, and when the day comes that I'm not having fun anymore, I'll leave the game.

Is it going to stop Free to Play people from joining?? Hell no, free is free, and people love free stuff. I'm sure that a potential F2P'er is NOT going to be sitting at their house contemplating signing up for a FREE account when suddenly they have this epiphany: "Oh NOOOO, I heard that SWTOR has this terrible reputation for PvP. I've changed my mind. I don't want to play this FREE game now because I'm SOOO influenced by some nameless entity or article on the web. I better go out and PURCHASE a game now."

So to sum up the answer . . . . . . . No, not at all.

Edited by ShawnFish
Typo

Honestly I don't really care about this so-called "reputation" of terrible PvP. I'm having fun doing it, and when the day comes that I'm not having fun anymore, I'll leave the game.

Is it going to stop Free to Play people from joining?? Hell no, free is free, and people love free stuff. I'm sure that a potential F2P'er is NOT going to be sitting at their house contemplating signing up for a FREE account when suddenly they have this epiphany: "Oh NOOOO, I heard that SWTOR has this terrible reputation for PvP. I've changed my mind. I don't want to play this FREE game now because I'm SOOO influenced by some nameless entity or article on the web. I better go out and PURCHASE a game now."

So to sum up the answer . . . . . . . No, not at all.

There are many f2p games with better reputations competing for peoples time.

Terrible pvp compared to what? It has better pvp then any other MMO I've played which most recently includes GW2, the savior of pvp. I'm not quite sure why it's so good and ultimately I'm pretty sure it's an accident of greatness, but the pvp potential in this game (as long as they don't make any more 1.4 resolve type changes) is huge and likely the primary reason why half the player base is hanging around.

Terrible pvp compared to what? It has better pvp then any other MMO I've played which most recently includes GW2, the savior of pvp. I'm not quite sure why it's so good and ultimately I'm pretty sure it's an accident of greatness, but the pvp potential in this game (as long as they don't make any more 1.4 resolve type changes) is huge and likely the primary reason why half the player base is hanging around.

No I disagree. It takes upwards of 20 minutes on Begeren Colony for PvP to pop during primetime. I think it's the Star Wars theme that keeps people playing.

The game is known as Stun Wars and as the game that killed Bioware.

Edited by NathanielStarr

At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP....What do you think?

PvP, Operations, and end game in general will not have much available to F2Pers. They will have to subscribe for that. This entire thread is pointless.

LoL, really what a silly post but I'll play. When F2P hits in November this game is going to get a huge increase because I already have several buddies waiting for it to go free.

I don't want to believe it like the rest because I am used to the idea of a paid subscriptions and most of my friends left because of paying a monthly charge.

The fact of the matter is Free to Play is here and its the new direction MMOs are taking.

WoW is already in decline and they will be last of the paid monthly sub MMOs.....

Edited by Asturias

No I disagree. It takes upwards of 20 minutes on Begeren Colony for PvP to pop during primetime. I think it's the Star Wars theme that keeps people playing.

The game is known as Stun Wars and as the game that killed Bioware.

The game is known as Stun Wars by people who, frankly, aren't very good and want to blame something else for their failure (gear, expertise, premades, TTK, stuns,.. human inventiveness when something as valuable as their ego is at stake is quite impressive). It's a shame if potential players don't try a game because they listen to people running it down for their own reasons.

I enjoy the PvP in SWTOR a lot (despite playing "weak" classes that are apparently unplayable), certainly more than the rated BGs I used to do in WoW. Others may not, people have preferences. But the whining on these forums doesn't make the PvP bad, it isn't. It has some issues, I think mainly down to the full range of ability and experience being thrown in together (so weaker players get stomped instead of enjoying a more even contest against similarly weak players). They then go whine.

I don't know about Begeren Colony, but warzones are near-immediate on Red Eclipse. And where do I look to find out that SWTOR has a "terrible PvP reputation"?

Edited by Wainamoinen

---- but the pvp potential in this game (as long as they don't make any more 1.4 resolve type changes) is huge and likely the primary reason why half the player base is hanging around.

Yes this game has the best PvP foundation than any other MMO by far. Its extremely sad to see the last few 'chess' moves that BioWare/EA has made in the PvP department of this game. They are not making the right decisions and in fact are making critical (and should be obvious) mistakes. Some of these changes I call red flags, which means the people responsible for the patch pvp changes are very unprofessional and dont have a full understanding of what PvP should be like. My best guess is they do not pvp much themselves and may not even play the game.

However free is free, as many people have already said. They'll try it out anyway, especially with it being Star Wars.

I do not feel its unballanced too much, but i do think that new players would be turned off by the oppresive CC that 1.4 brought with it. the PVP is no longer stated as its now refered to as PVCC after 1.4.

First, this game does not have a reputation for terrible PvP. That's a very strange assumption to make with zero proof to back it up.

Second, the whole point of the f2p model is to get people into the game. They will be able to buy what they want. I have no issues with the current PvP population. It seems healthy enough. Queues pops every minute or two. I don't think we have to worry. It will be ok. Some f2p folks will do it and some won't.

Its star wars, people will try that for no other reason when its f2p

But the gear progression (and how underpowered you are in recruit gear vrs augmented warhero gear) and horrible PUGs will be 2 big reasons F2P people will not stay in TOR PVP!

Who wants to be at a disadvantage from word go?

I dont see how this is going to get people to subscribe.

More likely some F2P guy in recruit gear will get steam rolled by the losers in the solo que in full warhero augmented gear and in a 4 man pre made and just say "well this is stupid, not wasting my money on this" and move on to some other F2P game.

Reputation might stop a few worried about that sort of thing

Gear Progression will be the big failure of this games PVP when push comes to shove though.

And Im not under geared so not saying this as a QQ about being rolled.

Its just very obvious screw up in games PVP design and its going to cost them in long run!

But its a no win situation now

If they give the war hero stuff away now to equal the gear out, those that worked for their gear (who subscribe already) will scream bloody murder and many will quit (some on principle and many on no longer having a gear advantage over others).

But if they leave gear progression in, they never going to convince the F2P players to subscribe or buy content so they can be rolled by over geared players.

EA has created a catch 22 issue via poor original design and they now pretty much screwed if they do and screwed if they dont at this stage of game.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it cause short of a complete redo for TORs PVP from ground up, I dont see how they fix this massive screw up!

But Im hoping the answer DAoC RVR

but not holding breath on that