Return of OP companions = cancelling subscription

AsarAnchti

That is not what I meant. The augments and the mk kits. For example, you need a 1 mk kit, then a 2 mk kit ect . Each new tier would force you to upgrade the augment and the kits.Tera's enchanting system combines the kits and augment into one single system that each time you increase your enchanting level grants you more stats to that item. However, there is rng fixed into the Tera enchanting system. It's not too hard to go from 1-12, but going from 13-15 cost hundreds of thousands of gold. To give you an idea, an item that has +15 sells for hundreds of thousands of gold on the auction house in Tera, but an equivalent item in swtor would sell for tens of million in swtor. Only whales or people who spend godly amount of time farming in Tera can afford to have +15 enchanting gear. In pvp, if you don't have +15 your useless. What makes the 13-15 so expensive is the rng into the system. Then you need to enchant all your gear for +15 legs, arms. chest, feet, weapon, ect. The power difference becomes so great between 12 and 15 enchant players that you can't compete in pvp or to lesser extent in pve. The problem now is that in pve there is no content that requires +15 gear from what I been reading.

Also forgot to mention, you need enchanting mats to attempt an enchant in Tera. The cash shop rng boxes drop enchanting mat, think it's called alkahest if I remember right, that has a higher chance of success. Then you need to farm in game or buy from other players a secondary enchanting mats, don't remember what these are called. You can also farm for in game enchanting called master alkahest, but the drop rate was nerf a few months ago so it takes you longer to acquire enough master alkahest for several attempts at enchanting. The player shop alkahest is better than in game drop alkahest. This is why a lot of players quit because it's a big gear grind. Then you have the same problems as in most mmorpg of acquiring the right drop from an instance. Non subscribers are limited in attempts at running an instance per day. I think subscribers can enter an instance twice as many times per day than non subscribers. Tera's end game is nothing more than a gear grind.

About the only thing I would do if I played Tera again is the equalize warzones. Otherwise, your looking at a gear grind with RNG. Swtor players hate RNG, so I would stay away from Tera unless you only play it very casually and don't bother with the RNG enchanting system for min/max.

You're a little off. Alkahest can be farmed off BAMs and 5man dungeons, level 58 or so they start dropping higher than tier 3 alk and higher levels or hard modes drops more. For feedstock, you can just break drop gear drops you don't use, you can even recycle old gear, it'll give you all the feedstock back you used on the last tier of enchantment.

Also Tera runs double drop weekends a lot, and those dungeons that drop masterwork alk are usually the ones that are always buffed. Since you really don't need anything more than +12 if you are good, you can largely avoid most of the RNG with enchanting, because 1-12 doesn't reset, and if you fail once you get an increased chance of success on the next attempt. I think I've had 1 failure per piece going from 1-12 on average, the worst has been 4 failures but that was also before they tweaked it with 13-15 coming out. Since then a lot of times I get 0 failures, and worst has been 2 fails.

NA Tera used to be different than KTera but then they were forced to synchronize. Now instead they run events like Kira's, double drops and what not to make it easier for the fact that NA's audience won't tolerate as much grinding as K's audience does.

Players are quitting now because it is in-between content cycles and they are impatient. Come December 18th, they'll be packed in again, just like they were this summer for the gunner. Just like this game packed it in when 4.0 landed and immediately before that was looking long in the tooth. That happens to every game.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To balance the OP, for me buffing my healer companions back up to a point where the companion healer bugs do not almost kill me as a dps trying to solo planetary heroic grinds, will likely get me to stay subbed. I keep hitting bugs where Lana at influence 31 bugs out and stands around doing her nails or mildly annoying the mobs with her lightsaber while I drop to 20% health with her not healing once. Before the nerf when she came out of it, she would quickly heal me to full or her rolling HoT would carry me through her inattention phase, now that does not work.

The insane grind of H2s to build alliance does mean I will still no be taking any of my 7 other alts through it. Which mean less time logged in and less chance I will buy something on the store for an alt.

I never said that was hard. I said it doesn't make sense for the devs to make me jump through hoops to optimize their game for them. If they d on't care to cater to my playstyle then I don't care to support their game. It's that simple.

Before people jump in and say that I just want to ruin the play of others, look at my link in my sig. I've suggested a way to allow players to set their own skill level of their companions in game by using the presence stat that already exists in game. I think this would be great for everyone. You want a god mode companion, great set it to like 2000, you want companions they way they were pre 4.0, set it to 0. Seems like a reasonable answer to help everyone.

You have every right to do what you want with your time and money, but the sentence I underlined is pretty much the definition of self-entitlement. The devs shouldn't cater to anyone's specific playstyle, but rather do what's best for the game. That doesn't mean having super OP companions, and it doesn't mean having useless companions. It means having balanced companions that can actually contribute to your toon's success.

Also, the beautiful thing about dismissing your comp or toggling off some abilities is the fact that it allows you to cater your companion to your own playstyle...which is exactly what you just said you want. Does it make more sense for them to nerf companions into oblivion and ruin the storyline game for people who actually enjoy their companions and want assistance during their fights? Not at all.

Agreed lol. I find it funny how many people are so blindly addicted to video games that they seem afraid to speak their minds.

Something happened to a portion of our society. I don't know what actually happened. While I grew up in the 80s and 90s, I learned to: (1) stand up for myself, (2) hold government at arms length, (3) cautiously trust companies/corporations, (4) work hard to control and build my own destiny, etc... I bet you can relate.

I think some people a very naive.

BioWare/EA and Disney are good companies; however, their primary focus is on maintaining revenue. If players don't keep BioWare/EA in check, as well as other companies, the developer and publisher will squeeze the consumer. Some companies don't know when to stop.

Edited by Linyivee

The devs shouldn't cater to anyone's specific playstyle, but rather do what's best for the game. That doesn't mean having super OP companions, and it doesn't mean having useless companions. It means having balanced companions that can actually contribute to your toon's success.

Agreed that's why this discussion is worth having. If they want to put in place a system that allows people to adjust the companions skill I fully support this. You can make any game harder by completely ignoring mechanics or not gearing, or whatever and some people choose to do that. However if that's the only way your game is enjoyable then you have a poorly made game.

Also your argument that I should just dismiss my companion might make sense if this game just came out. This was never a problem before 4.0. They've admitted they messed up. I'm fighting for them to fix it right and to not make a bunch of lazy player ruin the game for me. If they choose that's the direction they want their game to go, that's fine, that just means it's not the game for me anymore.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

Just like to note that removing skills is stupid. Each skill is needed for the companion to do their job correctly, I have played around with my companion pre nerf trying to make to less op . Removing even two or three healing skills makes them damn near useless for heroics, and keeping all their skills makes them ridiclously op .

Also removing skills does not make tanks any less immortal, or dps any less op. Even with damn near all dps skills off of a dps companion he was STILL doing crazy amount of damage. If you remove a tanks skills it just means hes not holding aggro, which defeats the purpose of him being there. If you leave his skills on it mean he is holding aggro but has zero chance of dying? Do you understand? Your ******** advice doesn't work on any companion type.

Well what about dismissing companion all together? Its boring and something we shouldn't have to do. We WANT companions, sure I can solo level without them but I like being a dps /tank with a healer, or a healer with a tank. I just don't like them being immortal and removing any challenge from the game. Its not a concept that is hard to understand.

The way companions are now is PERFECT in my opinion .In heroics I get good heals, but if I am not careful or taking too long to kill enemies my companion could die, or get aggro. I have to protect my companion , while still dpsing and I have to be dpsing fast which means my rotation actually freaken matters and this is way the game should be played. I love the way the companions are now and I am sad they are getting op again .

Not to mention, those of us who play on PvP servers don't have the option of toggling off abilities. That'd put us at a disadvantage against other players. Also, if you're making the game harder for yourself, shouldn't you get rewarded better than those that play it on "easy?" Isn't that how most games out there work? The higher the difficulty, the higher the reward?

They've admitted they messed up. I'm fighting for them to fix it right and to not make a bunch of lazy players ruin the game for me.

I work 40 hours a week (full-time/second shift), take care of a kid, work as a part-time freelancer, do a mess of housework, clean laundry, wash the car, go grocery shopping, take two courses a week, and drive two hours in a commute.

Am I lazy?

Can I play this game on 'casual'?

If "Star Wars: the Old Republic" was designed as a form of work, I really need to find another game to play.

I want to escape reality. I already live reality.

Edited by Linyivee

Something happened to a portion of our society. I don't know what actually happened. While I grew up in the 80s and 90s, I learned to: (1) stand up for myself, (2) hold government at arms length, (3) cautiously trust companies/corporations, (4) work hard to control and build my own destiny, etc... I bet you can relate.

I think some people a very naive.

BioWare/EA and Disney are good companies; however, their primary focus is on maintaining revenue. If players don't keep BioWare/EA in check, as well as other companies, the developer and publisher will squeeze the consumer. Some companies don't know when to stop.

Fantastic observation and extremely well stated!

I already cancelled my sub, sub has expired as well and game has been deleted from my pc

So why are you posting in the forums of a game you no longer have on your PC, let alone play, other than to troll?

because of the companion changes, so either way bioware losses.

Yet another player who thinks his one account will make all the difference. :rolleyes:

This has finally made me unsub to the game.

Buffing companions when they don't need it is the end of this. The game was starting to get much more social with people grouping and asking for help. Now it will go back to the days of people running around with a pretend friend in order to give them god mode. Really I don't see this lasting too much longer unless new ops are put in, crit is dialed down, and classes like Sniper/Slinger get nerfed.

Having both real and pretend friends, I feel qualified in saying that I'd rather group with a potato than over half of the complete tools that play this game.

Really, for serious. I'd rather have a completely useless potato following my character around, because at least I'd find that comically entertaining as opposed to jaw-clenching frustrating.

That most difficult thing in most of these MMOs is putting up with other people's monumental stupidity, and you know what? There are absolutely people out there that feel exactly the same way about me, and they shouldn't have to group with me either if they don't damn well want to.

Socialization is well and good, but forcing people to group up to do the same things as well as they could do them alone last week?

You've got no functional understanding of basic human psychology, methinks.

Edited by Uruare

Having both real and pretend friends, I feel qualified in saying that I'd rather group with a potato than over half of the complete tools that play this game.

Really, for serious. I'd rather have a completely useless potato following my character around, because at least I'd find that comically entertaining as opposed to jaw-clenching frustrating.

That most difficult thing in most of these MMOs is putting up with other people's monumental stupidity, and you know what? There are absolutely people out there that feel exactly the same way about me, and they shouldn't have to group with me either if they don't damn well want to.

Socialization is well and good, but forcing people to group up to do the same things as well as they could do them alone last week?

You've got no functional understanding of basic human psychology, methinks.

We dont agree often but bang on the money here

SWTOR is the easiest MMORPG on the market and in MMORPG history and these idiots thing its to hard

I really hope they live at home and their mother ties their shoe laces cause if SWTOR is to hard for them

They completely unprepared for thwe challenges of life in general

To balance the OP, for me buffing my healer companions back up to a point where the companion healer bugs do not almost kill me as a dps trying to solo planetary heroic grinds, will likely get me to stay subbed. I keep hitting bugs where Lana at influence 31 bugs out and stands around doing her nails or mildly annoying the mobs with her lightsaber while I drop to 20% health with her not healing once. Before the nerf when she came out of it, she would quickly heal me to full or her rolling HoT would carry me through her inattention phase, now that does not work.

The insane grind of H2s to build alliance does mean I will still no be taking any of my 7 other alts through it. Which mean less time logged in and less chance I will buy something on the store for an alt.

there is NO GRIND in SWTOR

Jesus I wish you kids where held accountable for your lies

SWTOR has never had ANY GRIND

From day one its been the easiest MMORPG in the genre history where everything is basically spoon fed to you people

And yet you STILL whine, piss, and moan about how hard you have it

We dont agree often but bang on the money here

SWTOR is the easiest MMORPG on the market and in MMORPG history and these idiots thing its to hard

I really hope they live at home and their mother ties their shoe laces cause if SWTOR is to hard for them

They completely unprepared for thwe challenges of life in general

You do understand that the person you were responding to is NOT in favor of ratcheting up the difficulty level to force people to group up for content, right? I mean, you did get that?

From day one its been the easiest MMORPG in the genre history where everything is basically spoon fed to you people

You do realize that your opening statement is an opinion, and completely subjective? As are your opinions about the game never having had a grind and it being the easiest MMO in the history of MMOs.

Kids? I'll just leave that one alone, since I stopped being a kid about four decades ago.

Edited by Hiply

Do you know what is moronic? Letting a company walk all over you.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/

This comes to mind. I agree with your point, but..

There has to be some understanding from both sides. If too many people quit "to prove a point",

At what point does the company just give up the fight? I imagine that if Bioware shut down the game as a result of a mass loss in subs/money, that everyone would be unhappy.

That isn't the goal, but I can see it being possible if too many people try to " withhold money to effect change". They may not get the change they wanted.

You do realize the alliance system is a very big grind, right? 80 crates of each faction for a total of 320 crates to max the alliance. 320 heroic mission per character. 320 of repeating the same missions over and over. Per character.

Leveling isn't a grind true, but that doesn't mean there is no grind in the game.