Why Were So Many Items Removed?

MingusPho

The design was to stream line everything to make it easier for the casual player and to push people towards end game content. By doing that, they removed lots of planetary specific items off their respective vendors.

That makes sense, but why not reintroduce those items on generic vendors for credits instead of tokens or just flashpoint and world drops?

Lack of insight perhaps? I doubt they thought it would make an impact. As a solution to drops, gear relevant to your profession is given as reward crates after completing planetary heroics.

Hmm I guess I could see that but even still as an mmo with thousands of players why wouldn't they see a need for diversity of gear beyond the cartel market? I mean jeeez, nobody wants to look exactly like all the other players in an mmo and they obviosly know that. I get this feeling this was all done to funnel players to the cm....

I believe that they were removed due to gearing changes made in one of the expansions, it changed gearing so much that all of the new gear introduced made all the old stuff obsolete.

Of course then they brought in outfit designer which makes the removal irrelevant.

Your instincts serve you right. The transition's clear intent was to get us used to gambling crates and the cartel market.

Bingo.

Though they did add the adaptive gear vendor to the fleets who sell a limited selection of old armor sets, and they also added back some of the classic weapon models that can come from command crates as empty shells. But still...there are a lot of models that are either unobtainable or really obscure and hard to come by.

I would love to see all of them added back into the game: gear from planetary commendation vendors, flashpoints, companion-exclusive sets that used to come from heroics, and professions.

Edited by Drenovade

you are all forgetting that most of the gear (if strictly going by appearance) can still be made by crafters. If you wanted something that looks like the old Black Talon reward drops for your class they are still available from crafters. People just don't make the gear often anymore as people overlook it for orange shells they can pack themselves.

Your instincts serve you right. The transition's clear intent was to get us used to gambling crates and the cartel market.

If you look closely at a lot of the cartel markets items, you can see they are just reskins of old gear that’s been removed.

I’ve got some old gear and with a dye, you can’t tell the difference between them.

Also, some of the old gear has been made into green and blue drops that aren’t specific to Armor or class type, if you play through Ossus, you can actually get greens that are reskins of pvp gear in 4.x. Or you can get them as legacy gear drop from the Star Fortress.

Most of the old sets are being reused now instead of them having to put an effort into making nice unique in game Armor. So if you wait long enough or go looking, you’ll probably find most of the old gear has been reskinned and added back in already. You just have to know where to look or grind to get it.

All their design effort now goes into CM gear, which is a shame. But understandable from a business perspective

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If you look closely at a lot of the cartel markets items, you can see they are just reskins of old gear that’s been removed.

I’ve got some old gear and with a dye, you can’t tell the difference between them.

Also, some of the old gear has been made into green and blue drops that aren’t specific to Armor or class type, if you play through Ossus, you can actually get greens that are reskins of pvp gear in 4.x. Or you can get them as legacy gear drop from the Star Fortress.

Most of the old sets are being reused now instead of them having to put an effort into making nice unique in game Armor. So if you wait long enough or go looking, you’ll probably find most of the old gear has been reskinned and added back in already. You just have to know where to look or grind to get it.

All their design effort now goes into CM gear, which is a shame. But understandable from a business perspective

I had noticed that, yes, but there's an epic butt ton more items missing than what they have reskinned or made into cheap drops.

That makes sense, but why not reintroduce those items on generic vendors for credits instead of tokens or just flashpoint and world drops?

I think there have been some welcomed changes, but there are still aspects needing attention, like the availability of items previously sold by the no longer around vendors. The Space Barbie mini-game is real, and some players want specific armor, not look-alike armor. And, the Birthright armor set vendors on capital worlds. I remember when Birthright kits regularly, at times annoyingly, dropped. In the past, I was seeing that purple loot indicator only to get a Birthright kit I already had five of, and didn't need another. Now, I haven't received a Birthright kit as loot in the past few years.

you are all forgetting that most of the gear (if strictly going by appearance) can still be made by crafters. If you wanted something that looks like the old Black Talon reward drops for your class they are still available from crafters. People just don't make the gear often anymore as people overlook it for orange shells they can pack themselves.

Some, but not all. Many of the ones that do have reskins available from other sources have different dye maps and can't be replicated.

I believe that they were removed due to gearing changes made in one of the expansions, it changed gearing so much that all of the new gear introduced made all the old stuff obsolete.

Of course then they brought in outfit designer which makes the removal irrelevant.

Actually the outfit designer was out well before they removed the gear from vendors, flashpoints and heroics. They claimed they removed the vendors to eliminate vendor "clutter" on planets, which is silly considering many of the vendors are still there, just empty. Flashpoints and heroics got done in because they homogenized the loot for level sync. I think they simply weren't in tune with their players enough to realize some people actually cared more about the aesthetics than about the stats.

What burns my britches is that before 4.0 we specifically asked if there was any gear being removed from the game with all of the changes they were making and they said, no there wasn't.